• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MacGyver

What type is MacGyver?

• ISTP

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • ESTP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENTP

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • INTP

• Other

• Total voters

litterateur

MBTI Type
ENTP
MacGyver: ENXP
Mac seems to waver between his thinking and feeling functions. On the one hand, in times of crisis, he is the epitome of an ENTP. On the other hand, and despite strong initial opposition at first, he always follows through relationally if a friend is in need.

Pete Thornton: ESTJ
Pete is an administrator through-and-through. He makes sure that all the t's are crossed and i's are dotted, but his strong sense of right and wrong also yield an empathetic heart.

Jack Dalton: ESTP
Jack is the classic doesn't-look-before-he-leaps type and quite capable of convincing others to go along with his schemes. He has no regard for anything that doesn't produce sensation of some kind. Fast-talking and risk-taking.

Murdoc: ENTP
Murdoc has a taste for the theatrical. He monologues, has wonderfully evil Rube Goldberg devices, and his ransom notes are always a delight.

Dr. Zito: INTJ
MacGyver's own Hannibal Lector rip-off, Dr. Zito has plans, contingencies, and more plans. Nothing he does is without specific reason.

Penny Parker: ESFP
Penny does not care for grand schemes or big ideas. She loves people. She loves the stage. Not much else goes on in her head.

Thoughts?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've watched a healthy part of the first season recently, so based on that:

MacGyver: ESTP
Se is high in this one. He lives for the moment. He's acutely aware of his surroundings at all times. He also falls in love with a new girl every week, but it always comes across as genuine.

It's possible that later seasons portray him more as an ENTP. I can't remember for sure.

I agree with Pete and Penny.

I don't remember Dr. Zito, Murdoc, or Jack well enough to venture a guess.

litterateur

MBTI Type
ENTP
Se is high in this one.

I agree with this. Season One, he's very much ESTP (if only to pull in ratings and viewers). He also uses a gun (as a gun) in the first episode, and Dana Elcar didn't originally portray Pete Thornton.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with this. Season One, he's very much ESTP (if only to pull in ratings and viewers). He also uses a gun (as a gun) in the first episode, and Dana Elcar didn't originally portray Pete Thornton.

At the end of the season he played Pete, but I didn't hear anything about the Phoenix foundation. He did play a different character in the pilot though. Confused the crap out of me.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
actually, Hannibal Lecter DID have reasons for those he went out of his way to kill...

Yanno that ambulence attendee in Tennessee? He was new and fucking up the vitals! Dead.

As for my man MAcguyver: ISTP

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why ISTP vs ESTP?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
cuz he's not a partier! he's more like Henry Thoreau stuck in a bad 80s TV show about makeshift bombs

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
cuz he's not a partier! he's more like Henry Thoreau stuck in a bad 80s TV show about makeshift bombs

It's well known that his improvisational skills started when he was in college, figuring out new ways to create a better bong.

litterateur

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm still not convinced. The first half of the first season, yes, he was very ESTP: outgoing, adventurous, ladies-man (eg., "The Thief of Budapest," in which MacGyver globe-trots). As the series progressed, he became more bookish, scientific, rational (eg., "Hellweek," in which MacGyver returns to his alma mater). The last few seasons, he became very involved in social justice, SJ (eg., "Tough Boys," in which MacGyver hunts down a group of hooligans who trash the Challenger [Youth] Club).

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
ISTP. Like an ESTP, he uses Se, but has Ti as dominant. He has to first examine complex systems with Ti and come up with a strategy, and use Se to git-r-done.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Richard Dean Anderson is apparently entp (entj has been argued though), MacGyver is entp, i say N because he is not really into Bongs, nor any kind of enneagram seven-ish partying and retreats into a live style that is far from society, because society is too stupid for N people.
he is obviously E, because he has zero trouble connecting to every person (lady) . there is noting F about him. he would never show his feelings, just be kind and smile a little. he could very well pull the Han Solo line (Leia: "i love you" Han: "i know"). he has zero trouble disconnecting from all the people (ladies) that he meets, he does not bound easily (honestly, emotionally), that indicates both T and E, because people are not a special thing to him, the come and go, exchangeable. there is no F in his live at all. no harbor or nest of sympathy or empathy. he has a single "friend" and he lives for the achievement of cold objective things only (fighting bad guys) or anti social things in his sparetime (fishing or something, essentially games)

Gauche

Richard Dean Anderson is apparently entp (entj has been argued though), MacGyver is entp, i say N because he is not really into Bongs, nor any kind of enneagram seven-ish partying and retreats into a live style that is far from society, because society is too stupid for N people.
he is obviously E, because he has zero trouble connecting to every person (lady) . there is noting F about him. he would never show his feelings, just be kind and smile a little. he could very well pull the Han Solo line (Leia: "i love you" Han: "i know"). he has zero trouble disconnecting from all the people (ladies) that he meets, he does not bound easily (honestly, emotionally), that indicates both T and E, because people are not a special thing to him, the come and go, exchangeable. there is no F in his live at all. no harbor or nest of sympathy or empathy. he has a single "friend" and he lives for the achievement of cold objective things only (fighting bad guys) or anti social things in his sparetime (fishing or something, essentially games)

I agree completely.
He always struck me as ENTP.
He's definitely intuitive-ass.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I say ESTP, the most blatant trait with him is the Se-Ti system. Ti is well balanced by Fe, Mac Gyver express too philantropism to be an ISTP, ISTP is possible, but I think he's rather extrovert. He's well-off with Ne too.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What type is MacGyver?

MacGyver1.jpg

There seems to be a consensus to say that MacGyver is a TP. But a controverse about which one he is exactly. I've saw him typed as ISTP, ESTP, ENTP and INTP.

I'd say he is ENTP, he is pretty socially skilled and more in touch with Fe, driven by compassion for people and duty to the group, but he's more head in the cloud and cerebral than an ESTP. So ENTP.