• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tavis Smiley: ESFJ?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love to watch his show. He's probably, to my mind, one of the best interviewers out there. He's very sharp, edgy, knowledgeable, incisive, respectful yet forceful, able to improvise on the fly, open-minded and curious. All the masterful traits I associate with a well-balanced ESFJ.

Some of my favorite interviews were with Cornell West, Sir Ben Kingsley, and lately, Mickey Rourke (Tavis got a GREAT interview from Mickey... very touching and insightful- I took it to be an ESFJ-ESTP dynamic, which I like).

I really respect Tavis's ability to ask hard questions without being a jerk or disrespecting his subjects. They seem at ease with him. And I always learn something. He always takes the interview in a direction I least expect.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ditto - he's so damn classy
I can see that. ESFJ it is.
So now we can spend the rest of the thread on how me and your sister are going to dress up like Alice in Wonderland's Tea Party scene?

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Not as good as Bill Moyers, but way better than Charlie Rose. Charlie Rose talks too damn much.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anii - my sister can't stand Charlie Rose. She says he talks over top of people which makes her nuts. Point of fact, we saw his interview with Mickey Rourke, and Mick was *so* on his guard. I don't blame him. Charlie Rose is kind of a jerk at weird moments.

Thursday - Agreed. He's all class. (And a very merry unbirthday to you...)

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Did you see Smiley's interview of Joni Mitchell? He was downright giddy; he went all fangirly on her. I liked him before I saw that, but he went up 100 points on my respect-o-meter after that.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Never did! :) Thanks for the link! Apparently he's a huge fan of James Taylor too! Funny...

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I totally think Tavis is an N. It's the thing that keeps me tuning in and wanting to watch more of him.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Tavis Smiley annoys the shit out of me.

So fake. So annoying.

Charlie Rose is way better in my book.

Tavis might broach issues, but he never really gets deep enough into them to teach me much, since he's so damn afraid of offending who he's interviewing.

My girlfriend can't stand him either.

I'm chalking this one up to Fe/Fi differences...

*sound of ENFP entering thread and imminent derailment*

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm really sorry.

Tavis Smiley good? Are you guys serious?

Agree with Charlie Rose. He's awesome.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have Tav tagged as an so/sp e45 infp (undeniably antsy, lick-slapping, pretentious goober)

and Rose as an sx/sp e54 infj. Switch over to Dirty Jobs to verify.

KDude

Should I retype if I'm not antsy or lick slapping (< ahem..sounds bad)?

Charlie Rose is cooler. I've never like Tavis' show that much, or when he was just a talking head. He is pretty antsy..I agree. But it's annoying.

Both seem like extroverts to me. But then, David Letterman says he's introverted, so what do I know.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Anii - my sister can't stand Charlie Rose. She says he talks over top of people which makes her nuts. Point of fact, we saw his interview with Mickey Rourke, and Mick was *so* on his guard. I don't blame him. Charlie Rose is kind of a jerk at weird moments.

Thursday - Agreed. He's all class. (And a very merry unbirthday to you...)

Rourke was on guard because he's an so/sp e65 so tho both he and Char are both Ni-doms.
Enneatype instinctual stacking incompatibility.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
David Letterman says he's introverted, so what do I know.

I think he's self-conscious, as evidenced in the first youtube vid that comes up in which he remarks on experiencing nervousness before going on Reegz show.
Have him as an sp/sx e19 entj, tho am open to alternate stacking suggestions.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I can't find Charlie Rose in the TV listings. I've seen him, but never watched an interview. His website says he is on Bloomberg TV? I don't even know what that is. Any tips?

I'll check his website again - maybe his interviews are viewable there.

And, yeah, I like Tavis a lot. Saw him last night with Hillary Swank and they kind of connected. There was definitely an "N" vibe going on through the interview. His interviews are just fun to watch IMO. He is a very classy guy. Low-key - and I like that.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Charlie Rose is on PBS, I believe.

You can find all sorts of interviews with him on the internet (try his website and youtube).

One of my favorite interviews is the guy from 'Conversations with History', at UC Berkeley.

Here's one with my favorite living philosopher: Stanley Cavell.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIIKqEl8xEw"]:)[/YOUTUBE]