• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mister Rogers' type?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
By the way, I have a bit of idol-worship going on with Mister Rogers. So if anybody talks smack about him in this thread, I will turn green and bust out of all my clothing except the parts that would be interesting if they busted.

That said, he screams Fi to me. ISFP?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
ENTJ

ISFP makes sense.

Yet, he was somewhat fanciful, what with his fond connection to the land of Make-Believe. Maybe a wispy INFP...?

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's often said that he's INFP. Although not knowing him, I have no comment.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENTJ

ISFP makes sense.

Yet, he was somewhat fanciful, what with his fond connection to the land of Make-Believe. Maybe a wispy INFP...?

I think INFP, as well.

Although Night, you may be on to something with the ENTJ thing! :devil:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I can see INFP, but he seems very ISFP to me. The land of make-believe is a bit of a red herring, IMO, because he doesn't do that stuff for its own sake. He's very, very tuned into the real fears and concerns of children (in a very Fi-Se way--almost everything he does seems to be identifying feeling tones about things that a person encounters in the real sensory world), and uses their language of pretend to help them deal with it.

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
I can see INFP, but he seems very ISFP to me. The land of make-believe is a bit of a red herring, IMO, because he doesn't do that stuff for its own sake. He's very, very tuned into the real fears and concerns of children (in a very Fi-Se way--almost everything he does seems to be identifying feeling tones about things that a person encounters in the real sensory world), and uses their language of pretend to help them deal with it.

That does make a good deal of sense. Mr. Rogers is sort of like...theraputic television for children. I used to adore watching that show. Could he possibly borderline the realm of 'S' and 'N'?

And, are you typing Mr. Rogers as a TV character, or are we taking him as a person as a whole into account, too? [I'm not slamming him here, I loved watching him-- but just saying-- ] He didn't really hold much fondness for children...and those restrictive clothes cover up a full-bodied tattoo...and he was a war veteran. Just saying...could that say anything about his type as well?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8

I like what you're cooking here. He's something of a steward.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Urban myth.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That does make a good deal of sense. Mr. Rogers is sort of like...theraputic television for children. I used to adore watching that show. Could he possibly borderline the realm of 'S' and 'N'?

Well, that would certainly explain why I'm so drawn to him, as I borderline the realm of S and N myself. I think you are right. The show is very therapeutic. I loved it as a child, and I love sharing it with my children now as an adult.

And, are you typing Mr. Rogers as a TV character, or are we taking him as a person as a whole into account, too? [I'm not slamming him here, I loved watching him-- but just saying-- ] He didn't really hold much fondness for children...and those restrictive clothes cover up a full-bodied tattoo...and he's a war veteran. Just saying...could that say anything about his type as well?

I think you've been reading too many forwarded emails. :D He never served in the military, and had no tattoos. I just watched an episode with my son where he rolls up his sleeve to get a flu shot, and there were no tattoos to be seen. And he had a great fondness for children. He was being himself on the TV show. Everything I've read about him and by him suggests this. Fi is very concerned with authenticity.

snopes.com: Mister Rogers

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
His focus on inner emotional strength plus the imaginative nature of the show make me think INFP.

Wonderful clip of Mister Rogers talking to Congress when Nixon tried to cut funding for PBS:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEuEUQIP3Q"]Mr Rogers Goes to Washington[/YOUTUBE]

I agree with Fi dom at the very least.

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
His focus on inner emotional strength plus the imaginative nature of the show make me think INFP.

Wonderful clip of Mister Rogers talking to Congress when Nixon tried to cut funding for PBS:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEuEUQIP3Q"]Mr Rogers Goes to Washington[/YOUTUBE]

I agree with Fi dom at the very least.

That is a fantastic video. It made me a little giddy to see him talking so calmly and explaining himself and what his program did and sounding no different as if he were speaking to the children who used to watch his show. XD

I think you've been reading too many forwarded emails. He never served in the military, and had no tattoos. I just watched an episode with my son where he rolls up his sleeve to get a flu shot, and there were no tattoos to be seen. And he had a great fondness for children. He was being himself on the TV show. Everything I've read about him and by him suggests this. Fi is very concerned with authenticity.

Well then I certainly stand corrected. Now that I think about it, I can't remember where I heard or read about that stuff... :D Awesome. He's still fantastic and now, even more so.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I've thought that he was an ISFJ.
He seems to structured and repetitive to be a P.

I started watching his program 20 years ago when my daughter was young.
He helped me with my own self-esteem issues.

It's You I Like
by Fred Rogers

It's you I like,
it's not the things you wear.
It's not the way you do your hair,
but it's you I like.
The way you are right now
the way down deep inside you
not the things that hide you
not your toys... they're just beside you.
But it's you I like,
every part of you,
your skin, your eyes, your feelings,
whether old or new.
I hope that you'll remember even when you're feeling blue,
that it's you I like,
it's you yourself, it's you
it's you I like!

What a wonderful man.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My initial thought was ISFJ as well but he doesn't seem to fit with the ISFJ's supposed functions (Si/Fe).

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Perhaps the greatest force for domestic good in the past 60 years.

Ratsimoan

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
4w5
I love Mister Rogers. He was my first crush. I say infp.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love Mister Rogers too! :heart: I also think INFP, though I suck at typing people. He's just so accepting, like the INFPs in my life.

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
Perhaps the greatest force for domestic good in the past 60 years.

I agree; he's one of my personal heroes. I've always read that he was INFP and I've never seen any reason to question that. I don't think he could pour his life into what he did without being an idealist (NF).

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Whoever's said infp so far, ding ding ding.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I agree; he's one of my personal heroes. I've always read that he was INFP and I've never seen any reason to question that. I don't think he could pour his life into what he did without being an idealist (NF).

I don't see why not. What do you think of this?