• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mister Rogers' type?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
By the way, I have a bit of idol-worship going on with Mister Rogers. So if anybody talks smack about him in this thread, I will turn green and bust out of all my clothing except the parts that would be interesting if they busted.

That said, he screams Fi to me. ISFP?
I thought he was an ISFJ because he reminded me of an ISFJ friend who LOVED repetition. Doing or saying the same things over and over again every day and never getting tired of it is what struck me about Mister Rogers. Routine and repetition... and that's what he tried to provide for the children who watched his program. I think he was an ISFJ.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
tee-hee

I didn't remember I had already posted in this thread.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I can see ISFJ more clearly than INFP or INFJ. I just don't see N in him. It's kind of N-centric to insist that someone has to be N to do what he did.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I can see ISFJ more clearly than INFP or INFJ. I just don't see N in him. It's kind of N-centric to insist that someone has to be N to do what he did.

He hated television. HATED it. And yet, he still realized what he could do with it.

Ni.

KDude

I don't identify with him at all :thinking:

Not that I don't like him.. but I think I prefer Mr. Robinson instead.

SNL1.JPG

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
ISFJ. Kind of stereotypically ISFJ male, right?

I can also see some INFPs strongly identifying with Mister Rogers, or idolizing him as a child, because of his pronounced Si (ours tertiary>>>tert temptation).

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My impression is ISFJ just because I understand ISFPs to have a certain vivaciousness that is less subdued and structured than their J counterparts. I think of Maria from the Sound of Music to be an ISFP being alone in nature and feeling great wonder, but getting in trouble for missing meals and being unstructured. Mr Rogers emits safety, harmlessness, and predictability. He is a safe and loving figure for children, and even Koko the gorilla idolized him and wanted to meet him. :) To me that seems more like Fe because it is about how he makes others feel, and not a lot of focus on his own feelings or passions.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
He really seems INFP to me, the little imaginary land and everything on top of his basic personality. INFP men sometimes have a certain "fragility" to them that ISFJs don't, IME. I think ISFJs are more likely to fit a more masculine stereotype despite their supposedly effeminate personality type. An INFP generally doesn't give a rat's ass about conforming to gender norms.

I can usually tell the diff between an INFP and an ISFJ male pretty easily (because I prefer ISFJ despite my own NF-ness). I could be wrong, though.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thought he was an ISFJ because he reminded me of an ISFJ friend who LOVED repetition. Doing or saying the same things over and over again every day and never getting tired of it is what struck me about Mister Rogers. Routine and repetition... and that's what he tried to provide for the children who watched his program. I think he was an ISFJ.

You can learn to provide routine (which children usually crave) and repetition (rote learning has always been popular) for children by being educated. That doesn't make him an ISFJ. INFPs also have tert Si, btw.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I see him as a definite Fi dom, with a big emphasis on making the child feel accepted, valued and safe. His approach seemed more to be about making the world less scary for the child, rather than having the child prepare and conform to the world. He seemed more about acceptance and reassurance, and less about obligation and responsibilities (although clearly there was some of both). He was also markedly anti-commercials and anti-marketing, which also seems a good fit for an Fi-dom, since Fi-doms are often notably unmotivated by commercial concerns.

As far as ISFP vs INFP... his major was music composition, which would lead one slightly towards ISFP, although certainly composition can be approach theortically. However, he was also ordained a presbyterian minister, which I see as a better fit for INFP; while I know ISFPs can and do help the people in their lives, their help is often much more a practical, hands-on kind of helping rather than a more abstract, verbally based kind of assistance.

Also, I think Mr Rogers was directly addresses the inner fears and concerns of children as direct concepts. He seems more verbal than most ISFPs I know, who tend to express themselves less verbally and more physically and artistically.

Still, I think it's a tough call, since one could argue that his show was his art through which he expressed himself musically, verbally and visually. Still, most MBTI resources list him as a quintessential INFP, so I don't see a whole lot of reason to doubt it.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
You can learn to provide routine (which children usually crave) and repetition (rote learning has always been popular) for children by being educated. That doesn't make him an ISFJ. INFPs also have tert Si, btw.
You're right.
For that matter, we can learn anything by being educated.
In my opinion though, that wasn't something he DID... it was WHO HE WAS.
Of course, I could be wrong.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I would say ISFJ. Even though he had the make-believe, I think that was mainly a tool to communicate real-life issues with children. In terms of the Enneagram, he's a blatant 9w1.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think his enneatype is more clear cut than his MBTI type. 9w1 for sure. MBTI, F for sure, most likely introverted.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP 9w1 or 2w1 Sp/So

S

SingSmileShine

I believe in INFP. He's so charming, sweet, and a dreamer. I love the man, rest in peace!