• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DN's Director Type List

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
BUMP

Michael Mann -- ENTJ
Kathryn Bigelow -- ISTP
Rob Zombie -- ISTP
Ethan Coen -- INTP
M. Night Shyamalan -- INFJ
Darren Aronofsky -- INTP
Sam Mendes -- ISFP

All Michael Mann's work seems very ISTP to me.

But I concur that Coen and Aranofsky are likely INTPs.

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
scorcese is entj. that's my final verdict. i don't know how the hell we thought dominant Fe. he's dominant Te 100%. he's crazy like an entj. switch around him and bill gates and you wouldn't miss a beat. he also has that "there's a crazy person living inside of me" smile that entjs do.

I disagree. Scorsese is definitely a Fe. Reading his biography, looking at his interviews, and reading his pieces, there is a lot of emotions and feeling that emanates from him.

Scorsese definitely favors personal relationships as he works with many of the same actors(even minor actors) in many of his films.

DeNiro/Scorsese 9
DiCaprio/Scorsese 4, going on 5
Joe Pesci - 3

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
As for Scorsese - ENFP/J

He plans and storyboards immensely, although he loves to improvise and use the w/e works approach.

To earlier posts: Why is David Fincher an ISTP?

Fincher is one of the most meticulous filmmakers working right now. Especially hearing his commentary and listening to his interviews, he seems like a very abstract thinker.

I would say INTJ.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
Why infj for Capra? Obsessed with morality, people behaving as "they should," joining communities, clear line between right and wrong, deference to what has come before, etc... I would've thought a definite SJ - likely xSFJ.

I'm in agreement on Spielberg being ENFP, btw.

VagrantFarce

To earlier posts: Why is David Fincher an ISTP?

Because he made Fight Club. You can't get more ISTP than Fight Club.

Seriously though, every film he makes tends to have the whole "stop trying to control things and just let go" theme that ISPs like to throw around, and I think there's a definate Ti/Fe split in his films (just look at The Game, or Seven, or even Zodiac). His films are also incredibly stylish. I don't think meticulousness is a characteristic INTJs have a monopoly on.

Also, I'm convinced Scorsese is ENFJ - watching Last Temptation of Christ confirms that for me.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Clint Eastwood is an ISTJ, in my opinion.

I think Alfonso Cuarón is an INFP (The Little Princess and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban were both in perfect sync with my imagination). Lars von Trier might be one as well.

I wonder about Peter Weir's type...

VagrantFarce

I'm totally gonna hijack this sh*t

INTP
Woody Allen
Paul Thomas Anderson
Ethan Coen
Paul Greengrass
Charlie Kaufman
Richard Kelly
Christopher Nolan
George A. Romero
Ridley Scott
Bryan Singer
Paul Verhoeven

ENTP
JJ Abrams
Walt Disney
Jean-Luc Godard
Michel Gondry
Alfred Hitchcock
Trey Parker
Quentin Tarantino
Orson Welles
Billy Wilder

INTJ
Michael Crichton
Joel Coen
Stanley Kubrick
Sergio Leone
Fernando Meirelles

ENTJ
James Cameron
Howard Hughes
Michael Mann

INFP
Robert Altman
Ingmar Bergman
Tim Burton
Sofia Coppola
Cameron Crowe
Alfonzo Cuaron
Frank Darabont
Terry Gilliam
Peter Jackson
David Lynch
George Lucas
Sam Raimi
Tim Robbins
Gus Van Sant
M. Night Shyamalan

ENFP
Richard Attenborough
Danny Boyle
Mel Brooks
Francis Ford Coppola
John Landis
Baz Luhrmann
Micheal Moore
Roman Polanski
Brett Ratner
Oliver Stone
Ed Wood

INFJ
Frank Capra
David Lynch
Guillermo del Toro
Andrei Tarkovsky
Lars Von Trier

ENFJ
Martin Scorsese
Werner Herzog

ISTP
Darren Aronofsky
Kathryn Bigelow
John Carpenter
Jackie Chan
David Cronenberg
Clint Eastwood
Roland Emmerich
David Fincher
Don Siegel
Tony Scott
James Wan
Rob Zombie

ESTP
Paul WS Anderson
Roger Avary
George Clooney
Kevin Costner
Robert Rodriguez
Eli Roth

ISFP
Wes Anderson
Spike Jonze
Sam Mendes
Steven Spielberg

ESFP
Judd Apatow
Drew Barrymore

ISFJ
Chris Colombus
Andy Warhol

ESFJ
George Cukor
Ron Howard

ESTJ
Michael Bay
John Milius

ISTJ
John Ford

B

brainheart

This list is ridiculous. Film direction is totally ISFP/ISTP territory- observant, keen eye for detail, telling a story via images... I'm not saying that there aren't other types that are directors, obviously there are, but to have two ISFP directors listed? Come on.

Wes Anderson, for one, is fully an ISFP, I'd say enneagram 4w3. Just read an interview with him. Or watch one of his films.

I'd also say Spike Jonze is either ISTP or ISFP. He used to make skateboarding videos, for crying out loud.

And I thought it had already been firmly established that Woody Allen is an ISTP.

Terrence Malick has got to be an ISFP.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lasse halstrom- yes, wes anderson- no. not at all.

B

brainheart

lasse halstrom- yes, wes anderson- no. not at all.

Why, please?

YouTube - Wes Anderson talks about Darjeeling Limited

Especially go to 2:45 where he talks about what he does with his films.

"I'm drawn in the movies I make on my own to stories about friendship, inspired by people I know, things in my own experience, and where the settings also come from imagination."

Wes Anderson and “Fantastic Mr. Fox” : The New Yorker

I was hoping they'd have the whole New Yorker article on line, but I'll quote the magazine that I have at home:

"[Anderson's] workspace is as carefully arrayed as the set of one of his films... Anderson could not have used a more painstaking way to make his first animated film (stop-motion animation)... he 'found a way to insanely micromanage the movie'... Owen Wilson pointed out the process 'seems to suit how meticulous Wes is about getting things exactly as he imagines them.'

"...The performances [of Anderson's characters] are controlled, tamped down. The action takes place amid eye-catching decors and anachronistic furnishings. The scripts offer a winking catalogue of inside movie references, and the soundtracks are replete with a carefully curated collection of recordings...

"In [The life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and The Darjeeling Limited], Anderson emerged as an heir to the likes of Ernest Hemingway and Howard Hawks, rugged adventurers whose daring exploits were matched by their dandyish style statements. Anderson shares their self discipline; their coolness under pressure; their appreciation of the exacting work ethic behind the beauty of objects; and the physical joy in the presence of danger.

"Already as a youth, Anderson was an aesthete; he assembled his own library of carefully selected editions, had what Eric [his brother] calls a 'cutting edge record collection,' and covered the walls of his room with his own graphic art and collages. He was a big reader, who, in high school loved F.Scott Fitzgerald's short stories. He was also an athlete; he played soccer and tennis and ran track."

There's plenty more; I just don't feel like typing any more unless someone wants to read it.

All of this screams ISFP to me.

Also, people shouldn't forget that films are made with more than one person. And Wes Anderson always has people helping him write the screenplays, as does Spike Jonze. (Not that an ISFP can't write a screenplay, but obviously the screenwriter plays a huge part in what the film will be so their type must also be taken into consideration.)

B

brainheart

:wacko: He's one of the most archetypal INTPs you can get.

http://www.keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=4&c=crafter

I think many of you misunderstand what it is to be an SP vs an NF or NT. It's not like we who are SPs don't have imagination or crazy ideas, etc. We just prefer to ground them in the physical, that's all. And we often use others' ideas as a stepping stone for our own.

I think what you see in those you relate to is the Ti, so you think NeTi, or the Fi, so you think NeFi. I'm not saying you're always wrong; I accept that a heaping chunk of novelists are INFPs, cool. I accept that a heaping chunk of ground-breaking scientists are INTPs, awesome. I accept that some musicians, directors, artists are NTs and NFs. But think about this:

Artisans are the temperament with a natural ability to excel in any of the arts, not only the fine arts such as painting and sculpting, or the performing arts such as music, theater, and dance, but also the athletic, military, political, mechanical, and industrial arts, as well as the "art of the deal" in business.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
INFJ
Frank Capra
David Lynch
Guillermo del Toro
Andrei Tarkovsky
Lars Von Trier

Guillermo del Toro is definitely an INFP. He is the same type of person as Peter Jackson, who is certainly an INFP. Their imagination screams Ne.

I'm not sure if Lars von Trier is P or J, but I would buy the INFJ. In my opinion, he's the same type as David Lynch, whatever it is.

VagrantFarce

http://www.keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=4&c=crafter

I think many of you misunderstand what it is to be an SP vs an NF or NT. It's not like we who are SPs don't have imagination or crazy ideas, etc. We just prefer to ground them in the physical, that's all. And we often use others' ideas as a stepping stone for our own.

I think what you see in those you relate to is the Ti, so you think NeTi, or the Fi, so you think NeFi. I'm not saying you're always wrong; I accept that a heaping chunk of novelists are INFPs, cool. I accept that a heaping chunk of ground-breaking scientists are INTPs, awesome. I accept that some musicians, directors, artists are NTs and NFs. But think about this:

A picture on Kiersey's website isn't going to convince me he's an ISTP. I'm sorry, I just can't make the connection between ISTP and Woody Fucking Allen. :)

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
most isfps are 9s. 9 is less common than 4s, 5s, and 7s when it comes to film-making.

i do think isTp is very possible for wes, especially as a 4w3. i can see woody allen either way, but definitely 3w4. i'm even considering jerry seinfeld as a potential istp 5 (w6?). i'm on a huge istp kick. i still think istp makes more sense for pt anderson as well.

i think you misunderstand N. it's generally a recognizable feature for other Ns, and the way it's ranked/prioritized within a functional type-set generally says a lot about how the person will think, generate ideas, frame situations, explore contexts, etc. it becomes complicated at certain points in the enneagram that create behaviors that run counter to expectations (ie there's overlap, and it's fucking complex). it's just not always easy to see in an immediate work, or from a canned interview. the functions are most obvious when engaged in a social process, when people are communicating as a group.

B

brainheart

Maybe I do misunderstand N, but I think you also misunderstand S. And it wasn't a canned interview that I was referring to, it was a several paged article.

Look, I was a film major, and what I read in this article about Wes Anderson (and witness in his films) is multiple references to other films, books, his personal life, music, art, fashion, etc- and he's the one making the references, so it's not a matter of the writer just noticing it. What I see in him is someone who is incredibly observant of things he's watched and experienced and tremendously skilled at shaping them into something unique.

What do you think sensors do when they create art? Merely look at a bird and copy it?

And as I said, a film is not made by one person, it's made by many, and he always has his friends help him write the scripts. Multiple people bouncing ideas off each other I imagine can look like Ne.

B

brainheart

A picture on Kiersey's website isn't going to convince me he's an ISTP. I'm sorry, I just can't make the connection between ISTP and Woody Fucking Allen. :)

Your telling me he's quintessentially INTP isn't going to convince me either. It's not like I bow at the feet of Keirsey or anything, but I'm going to trust his opinion a bit more than yours at this point in time.

I'll do some research and see what I can come up with.

B

brainheart

most isfps are 9s. 9 is less common than 4s, 5s, and 7s when it comes to film-making.

According to you, Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Ira Kaplan are isfps 4w5. Steph on this forum is an isfp 4w3. I'm torn between 4 and 9 for myself (everyone I know irl who knows about enneagram is convinced I'm a four). So that argument won't convince me.

Although I wouldn't rule out istp for Wes, but I definitely think SP.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ I think Wes Anderson is ISFP also, but the quotes you posted don't totally rule out intuitive. As an INFP, I actually relate to a lot of that. I consider myself an aesthetic, for example. I like Keirsey's grouping of temperaments, but I dislike most everything else he says. The way he describes INFPs is off the mark.

Sofia Coppola - ISFP
David Lynch - INFJ
Tim Robbins - ISFP, but INFP is possible
Cameron Crowe - Not INFP, that's all I know....way too Si. Maybe ISFJ.
George Lucas - His movies are all about visual affects; the script is terrible. Not INFP. And yes, I admit I say that cuz I hate Star Wars (science fiction/fantasy - YUCK).
Francis Ford Coppola - NFP, maybe INFP. I saw this suggested somewhere and investigated him with the idea it was crap, but then I ended up seeing FiNe as very plausible.

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
Seriously though, every film he makes tends to have the whole "stop trying to control things and just let go" theme that ISPs like to throw around, and I think there's a definate Ti/Fe split in his films (just look at The Game, or Seven, or even Zodiac). His films are also incredibly stylish. I don't think meticulousness is a characteristic INTJs have a monopoly on.

Listen to his commentaries and behind-the-scenes, dude. He sounds so Ne in them. Also look at his interviews:

Sorry all I could find was Alien4, which was pretty much edited down from hours of footage of the horrible mess Fincher went through.

>Also, I'm convinced Scorsese is ENFJ - watching Last Temptation of Christ confirms that for me.

Yeah. I agree.

>Woody Allen INTP

According to Kiersey, he's listed as a ISFP. Woody in real life is a very live-and-let-live person as opposed to his archetype.

>Paul Thomas Anderson INTP

I would say INFP. Many of his films have so emotions in them (Magnolia, TWBB) and plus, I've seen him spoke in person and he's seemed so caring and yearning for all his actor/director relationships.

>Clint Eastwood is an ISTJ, in my opinion.

According to Kiersey, he's listed at ISFP.

BTW to all, are these findings on this site based on the type of films they make or the person in interviews/commentaries?

Because Scorsese makes films that are ultra-violent, although he himself is a very gregarious man and opposes any such violence.