• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DN's Director Type List

auriel

I agree with a lot of these, but why do you guys think that George Lucas is an INFP? :huh: He gives off an INTJ vibe to me...

Plus, well, INFP's are "usually talented writers"... ;)

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
After indulging in his filmography a bit and listening to some interviews, I've decided I was wrong about Bergman - He's definitely INFJ.
I think the difference between Bergman and Tarkovsky (which I mentioned somewhere in this thread) is more a contrast between 4w5 (Bergman) and 5w4 (Tarkovsky).

Additions:

Michael Haneke - INTP

Bela Tarr - INTJ

Robert Bresson - At first I thought IXFP; Now INTx. He's difficult.

John Waters - ENFJ

Danbenyo

MBTI Type
INXP
Enneagram
Wow its a pleasent suprise to see so much good INFP directors. Aldo I wonder how an INFP will deal with the dark and boring sideS of being a director:(thx to Kross for listing)
Assertiveness
Decisiveness
Coping well in high pressure situations
Mental clarity
Organizational skills
Complete confidence in his/her abilities
Strong verbal communication skills
Very good interpersonal skills (ie. dealing with actors and crew)
Handle criticism well (in terms of film school training in particular)
The ability to network with and ass kiss important people
Thats all can be conqured with passion and hard work.
Im pretty sure Lynch is a INFP.

Danbenyo

MBTI Type
INXP
Enneagram
Common man

INTP
Christopher Nolan
Ridley Scott
Woody Allen
Ethan Coen

INFP
Peter Jackson
Tim Burton
George Lucas
Sofia Coppola
Ingmar Bergman
Cameron Crowe
Sam Raimi
Robert Altman
Wes Anderson
ENTP
Quentin Tarantino
Michel Gondry
Jean-Luc Godard
Stephen Spielberg
ENFP
Oliver Stone
Francis Ford Coppola
Ed Wood
Danny Boyle
INTJ
Stanley Kubrick
Joel Coen
Sergio Leone

ISTP
Clint Eastwood
David Fincher
John Carpenter
Don Siegel

INFJ
Frank Capra
Andrei Tarkovsky
Roman Polanski
David Lynch
Fellini
Antoninio
ISFJ
Chris Colombus
Andy Warhol

ESFJ
George Cukor
Ron Howard

ESTJ
John Milius

ESTP
Robert Rodriguez

ISTJ
John Ford

ENFJ
Werner Herzog

ENTJ
James Cameron
Alfred Hitchcock
Orson Welles
David Lean

Thank you.

S

Stansmith

Some disagreements:

Godard - INTP 5w6
Hitchcock - ENTJ 8w9
Sofia Coppola - ISFP 9w1
Lynch - INFJ 9w1

Last edited:
S

Stansmith

Is Francois Truffaut INFP (start at 1:40)? [MENTION=7140]brainheart[/MENTION]

There's something about his eyes...

B

brainheart

[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION], yes I agree. Not all that surprising considering Les quatre cent coups and Tirez sur le pianiste are two of my absolute favorite films.

Love Truffaut.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Robert Rodriguez = ENTJ. Never seen a director so efficiency-minded, except maybe George Lucas (INTJ) and James Cameron (ENTJ).

Others, based on hunches:

Ivan Reitman = ESFJ
Gore Verbinski = INFP
Sam Mendes = ISFP
JJ Abrams = INTJ
Wolfgang Petersen = ISTP
Edgar Wright = ESFP
Paul Verhoeven = INTP
Baz Luhrmann = ESFP
Tarsem Singh = ESFP

And as for Michael Bay, he's a fucking puzzlement. It's so easy to call him an ESTP but I'm not really all that confident...he could be an ENTJ projecting Se through his movies -- Se in the third place is often the projective function, after all.

S

Stansmith

Eric Rohmer - IN?J, maybe INTJ.

A lot of his male characters' first-person narratives and are just..ruthless in a detached, dismissive way. Especially when it comes to women. Although they may not necessarily reflect his own views, there does seem to be a Te-ish twinge to a lot of his writing.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This list is ridiculous. Film direction is totally ISFP/ISTP territory- observant, keen eye for detail, telling a story via images... I'm not saying that there aren't other types that are directors, obviously there are, but to have two ISFP directors listed? Come on.

Wes Anderson, for one, is fully an ISFP, I'd say enneagram 4w3. Just read an interview with him. Or watch one of his films.

I'd also say Spike Jonze is either ISTP or ISFP. He used to make skateboarding videos, for crying out loud.

And I thought it had already been firmly established that Woody Allen is an ISTP.

Terrence Malick has got to be an ISFP.

no no no. someone being attuned to visual elements in their film does not make them a sensing type... and honestly, i think it's quite rare that sensing types become directors because there are so many abstract elements that have to come together in an intuitive way... you aren't considering the greater vision these visual elements are a part of for the directors you've listed. i'm an INFP with a really good eye for putting an interesting, tasteful outfit together. because i have this stylish aesthetic, does this mean i must be a sensor?

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some disagreements:

Godard - INTP 5w6
Hitchcock - ENTJ 8w9
Sofia Coppola - ISFP 9w1
Lynch - INFJ 9w1

godard was DEFINITELY an INFP. french new wave is sooo INFP territory. he would constantly say these super abstract yet nebulous things... i don't see Ti in anything he did. i think people believe that INFPs who aren't super gooey are INTP or something, but to me he is very INFP. his films are super dreamy and absurd and so is he, if you've read a lot about him.

sofia coppola is very INFP. she is visually oriented, but it's because the visuals are a vehicle for the concepts and ambiance she wants to project. she is a writer first and foremost and the dreamy nature of her films is typical INFP vibe. there's lots of stuff that is said and half implied in her work. it's all very poetic in an INFP way. the films are wistful and sentimental, melancholic and questioning. ISFP work is generally much more literal and less dreamy. i feel like an ISFP film would be full of bright colors and just be super sensorial... there's this kind of casual depth to sofia's work that is very intuitive to me. her films all are kind of full of these super questioning characters that have a lot of ennui and idk. i just don't think they could be made by a type that mainly lives in the moment

Raffaella

bon vivant
He's a tough one. And I err on the side of INFP, with high percentage of J.
Lars Von Trier is a case of INFJ.

No, Lynch is definitely on the Ni/Se axis, his films lack the dreamy touch (FiNe) and are too atmospheric for him to be INFP.

As for Lars Von Trier, I'm not sure, haven't put too much thought into him.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, Lynch is definitely on the Ni/Se axis, his films lack the dreamy touch (FiNe) and are too atmospheric for him to be INFP.

I disagree on the "lack of dreamy touch" in Lynch's works.

His films always play with your perception of "reality" and challenge your sense of "logic". Twin Peeks the series is a big example, as well as Blue Velvet and Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr.
His "dreamy touch" is not so much about "tender emotions" or an "imaginary world". His dreamy touch is hidden well in the absurdity of characters, the interchanging "realities" they live in and their course of actions. There are never logics at all, and it is pointless to watch and question "why?"
Watching his films is like dreaming an absurd dream, but again dreams are absurd.
His films, they are not meant to send you a message, or teach you a lesson, to explain anybody's story, or to portrait anything in life you could relate to. They just take you to wherever you dare to follow, challenge your senses and perceptions, defy logic and leave you "so what the f*ck is the point?"

He is the filmmaker version of Haruki Murakami, who is another INFP. Coincidentally, they happen to be a fan and inspiration of one another.

Ni-dom "searches for depth, meaning and significance in the world [...] to filter out biases and refine perception to arrive at the “one truth” ", while the Fi-Ne has an "emotional life that seeks expression in some form of creative outlet" and "truth [...] is felt instead of intellectualized".

Knowing about David Lynch through his films, music work, his support for transcendental meditation and his quotes makes me believe he's an INFP (Does not necessarily make me a fan of him though) :

"It makes me uncomfortable to talk about meanings and things. It's better not to know so much about what things mean. Because the meaning, it's a very personal thing, and the meaning for me is different than the meaning for somebody else."

"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it."

"My cow is not pretty, but it is pretty to me."

“I wouldn't know what to do with [colour]. Colour to me is too real. It's limiting. It doesn't allow too much of a dream."

“Being in darkness and confusion is interesting to me."

Absurdity is what I like most in life, and there's humor in struggling in ignorance. If you saw a man repeatedly running into a wall until he was a bloody pulp, after a while it would make you laugh because it becomes absurd.

“I hate slick and pretty things. I prefer mistakes and accidents. Which is why I like things like cuts and bruises - they're like little flowers.

“I learned that just beneath the surface there's another world, and still different worlds as you dig deeper. I knew it as a kid, but I couldn't find the proof. It was just a kind of feeling.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I disagree on the "lack of dreamy touch" in Lynch's works.

I meant the hazy, dreamy atmosphere you see in Sofia Coppola's work.

His films always play with your perception of "reality" and challenge your sense of "logics". Twin Peeks is a big example, as well as Blue Velvet and Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr.

This is very inferior-Se within the framework of Tert-Ti.

His "dreamy touch" is not so much about "tender emotions" or an "imaginary world". His dreamy touch is hidden well in the absurdity of characters, the interchanging "realities" they live in and their course of actions. There are never logics at all, and it is pointless to watch and question "why?"
Watching his films is like dreaming an absurd dream, but again dreams are absurd.

Hmmm...

His films, they are not meant to send you a message, or teach you a lesson, to explain anybody's story, or to portrait anything in life you could relate to. They just take you to wherever you dare to follow, challenge your senses and perceptions, defy logic and leave you "so what the f*ck is the point?"

Challenging senses and perceptions is e9 and Ni-dom, respectively.

He is the filmmaker version of Haruki Murakami, who is another INFP. Coincidentally, they happen to be a fan and inspiration of one another.

They're both e9 hence the attraction to surrealism.

Ni-dom "searches for depth, meaning and significance in the world [...] to filter out biases and refine perception to arrive at the “one truth” .

Mulholand drive is a perfect example of this, think back to the blue key.

Knowing about David Lynch through his films, music work, his support for transcendental meditation and his quotes makes me believe he's an INFP (Does not necessarily make me a fan of him though) :

Those all prove that he's INFJ e9.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=20828]Deceptive[/MENTION], being INFP type 4, if I ever were a writer or a filmmaker, I'd create works with similar vibes to theirs.
Defying logics and sense of reality, enjoying absurdity and diving in the unknown is my realm.
I had an INFJ e9 friend in filmmaking industry and his work, ironically, was nothing like his type, but rather similar to Sofia Coppola. I highly doubt her being INFP, by the way, and I cannot relate to her work.

I will stick to INFP for Lynch, as I knows INFP with these exact thoughts and views.

By the way, I don't think Lynch is e9 at all. That man is more complex than just a meditating, music writing, filmmaking guru. I've learnt about his hypocrite sides.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

As for Lars Von Trier, I'm not sure, haven't put too much thought into him.

have you watched david lynch's films???? they're nothing if not dreamy! also, they're very absurd. lynch has Ne. and INFPs are very 'atmospheric' in their work so i don't really know where you're getting this from

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=20828]Deceptive[/MENTION], being INFP type 4, if I ever were a writer or a filmmaker, I'd create works with similar vibes to theirs.
Defying logics and sense of reality, enjoying absurdity and diving in the unknown is my realm.
I had an INFJ e9 friend in filmmaking industry and his work, ironically, was nothing like his type, but rather similar to Sofia Coppola. I highly doubt her being INFP, by the way, and I cannot relate to her work.

I will stick to INFP for Lynch, as I knows INFP with these exact thoughts and views.

By the way, I don't think Lynch is e9 at all. That man is more complex than just a meditating, music writing, filmmaking guru. I've learnt about his hypocrite sides.

sofia coppola is a classic INFP to me... her films have that dreamy, atmospheric quality about them. they're all about yearning and unfulfilled desire + existential angst. i have a feeling many INFJs don't respond to her work; they probably find it indulgent and navel-gazey