• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DN's Author Type List III

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with typing Milan Kundera as INFJ. His writing is a definite example of Ni...layers upon layers of ideas woven together in a way that seems random and perfectly coherent at the same time.

he reminds me of dostoeyevsky, albeit more modern, sleeker, more distilled. he writes a lot about the form of the novel, talks about kafka, diderot, musil, gombrowicz, and cervantes a lot. i want to mine his influences to see other infj writers. he always manages to have heidegger or nietzsche creep into his books, two intjs.

i'm wondering if balzac is intp or infj? what about the marquis de sade and georges bataille?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jeffrey Eugenides: INFP

YouTube - Arts: A Conversation With Jeffrey Eugenides -- NYTimes.com

Also typed from reading the Virgin Suicides.

Really? I got ISFP from Virgin Suicides. He creates this great atmosphere in that book, but the characters don't feel very developed.

--------------
I also think Nick Hornby is ENFJ. The "heroes" of his books all reflect that, and I think he's one of those writers who projects himself onto his main characters.

I think Hardy is an INFx. He is way too obsessed with moral issues to not be an NF. Plus there's tons of symbolism in his books, particularly in Jude the Obscure. When he delves into describing scenery and such, it's almost in a mocking way, like "look, I can do this as well as any writer".

heart

heart on fire
Really? I got ISFP from Virgin Suicides. He creates this great atmosphere in that book, but the characters don't feel very developed.

Any dominant Feeler ought to be expected to create good characters, in fact better characters than plot.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any dominant Feeler ought to be expected to create good characters, in fact better characters than plot.

Maybe he's not Fi at all then. I think he is a sensor though. Maybe ISFJ then...?

heart

heart on fire
Maybe he's not Fi at all then. I think he is a sensor though. Maybe ISFJ then...?

Yes, I would think a dominant perceiver would more likely to place atmosphere over feeling and character. Not that they automatically would, but they would seem more likely to.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

--------------
I also think Nick Hornby is ENFJ. The "heroes" of his books all reflect that, and I think he's one of those writers who projects himself onto his main characters.

I think Hardy is an INFx. He is way too obsessed with moral issues to not be an NF. Plus there's tons of symbolism in his books, particularly in Jude the Obscure. When he delves into describing scenery and such, it's almost in a mocking way, like "look, I can do this as well as any writer".

True that I got ISFP from Virgin Suicides also, but maybe ISFJ then? Nick Hornby as ENFJ sounds good. You may be right with Hardy too. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
INFP
Homer
Virgil
William Shakespeare
John Keats
François-René de Chateaubriand
Emily Bronte
Mary Shelley
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Herman Melville
James Joyce
Virginia Woolf
Aldous Huxley
George Orwell
Albert Camus
Jack Kerouac
Herman Hesse
John Steinbeck
A A Milne
Beatrix Potter
Leon Bloy
Miguel de Cervantes
Marcel Proust
Thomas Mann
E M Forster
J D Salinger
Kazuo Ishiguro
Chuck Palahniuk
Sebastien Faulks
Zadie Smith
Yukio Mishima
Bret Easton Ellis
Henry James
Stephen King
Jean Rhys
Alan Moore
Alex Garland
David Foster Wallace
Tennessee Williams
Washington Irving
Terry Pratchett
Harriet Beecher Stowe
Walt Whitman
Arthur Miller
Hans Christian Andersen
Neil Gaiman
Eugene O'Neill
Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Willa Cather
Haruki Murakami
Terry Brooks
Madeleine L'Engle
Jay McInerney
Harper Lee
James Herriot
Irvine Welsh
Douglas Coupland
Dylan Thomas
Alice Walker
Lu Xun
Italo Calvino
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Allen Ginsberg

INFJ
Geoffrey Chaucer
Leo Tolstoy
Nathaniel Hawthorne
Joseph Conrad
Emily Dickinson
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
G K Chesterton
Charles Peguy
Dante
Goethe
Simone De Beauvoir
Dan Brown
Robert Burns
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
W Somerset Maugham
Anthony Burgess
Harold Pinter
William Blake
John Milton
Graham Greene
Gabriel Marcel
Anne Rice
Vladimir Nabokov
Nella Larsen
Tom Stoppard
Guy Gavriel Kay
Stephen R. Donaldson
Piers Anthony
George Eliot
Kurt Vonnegut
William Faulkner
Tom Wolfe
Franz Kafka
Salman Rushdie
Robert Louis Stevenson
Milan Kundera

INTJ
Jane Austen
C S Lewis
Samuel Beckett
Michael Crichton
Cormac McCarthy
Ayn Rand
Philip Pullman
Ernst Jünger
Norman MacLean
T S Eliot
Wallace Stevens
Jonathan Swift
William S. Burroughs
Neal Stephenson
Ursula Le Guin
Gustave Flaubert

INTP
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Henry David Thoreau
Joseph Heller
Philip K Dick
Isaac Asimov
Martin Amis
Carl Sagan
Thomas Pynchon
Kingsley Amis
William Gaddis
Evelyn Waugh
Lemony Snicket
Will Self
Edgar Allen Poe
Donald Barthelme

ENFP
Charles Dickens
Mark Twain
Charlotte Bronte
Alexander Pushkin
L. Ron Hubbard
Ralph Waldo Emerson
D H Lawrence
Ken Kesey
Edith Wharton
Joseph Campbell
Tom Robbins
Henry Miller

ENTP
Lewis Caroll
Lord Byron
Oscar Wilde
Hunter S Thompson
Truman Capote
Douglas Adams
Hilaire Belloc
Ray Bradbury
Christopher Marlowe
Thomas More
Roald Dahl

ISFJ
William Wordsworth
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Louisa May Alcott
John Irving
John Betjeman
Seamus Heaney
Sylvia Plath

ISFP
J K Rowling
Percy Shelley
Anaïs Nin
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Nick Hornby
Ian Fleming
Jeanette Winterson

ESTP
F Scott Fitzgerald
Ernest Hemingway
Norman Mailer

ENFJ
Ivan Turgenev
Toni Morrison
Enid Blyton

ISTJ
Ben Jonson
Samuel Johnson

ENTJ
George Bernard Shaw
Jack London

Incomplete typings
Ian McEwan: INxx
Thomas Hardy: xSxJ
J M Barrie: xSxP
Georges Bernanos: xNFP
Umberto Eco: INTx
Philip Roth: INTx
Adam Mickiewicz: INFx
Dan Simmons: INxJ
Taras Shevchenko: xNFP
Frederick Douglass: INTx
Margaret Atwood: INTx
Mario Puzo: xSxP
Alexander Pope: ISTJ?
Samuel Richardson: ISTJ?
Agatha Christie: INxJ
Philip Larkin: INxx
Stephanie Meyer: ExFx
J G Ballard: INFJ?
Robert Frost: IxFP
William Golding: INxx
Rudyard Kipling: xNFx
H G Wells: INxx
Robert Browning: xNFx
Elizabeth Barrett Browning: xNFx
Christina Rossetti: IxFP
Kate Atkinson: IxFJ
William Makepeace Thackeray: INxx
Bram Stoker: INFx
Alexander Dumas: INxx
Gore Vidal: xNFP
Paul Auster: INFP?
Dave Eggers: xNFP
Joan Didion: ENFP?
Elizabeth Smart: ENFP?
Victor Hugo: INFx?
Juvenal: satirist - INTJ?
J R R Tolkien: INxP
Arthur Conan Doyle: INTJ?

I agree with you on many of these, but here's a few I'd like to debate:

I think you are spot on about F. Scott Fitzgerald being an SP, but I think he was an ISFP because he was sooooo romantic, particularly obsessed with his wife Zelda, and while he went to many parties, there was something very "inner life" about Fitzgerald - he and Zelda lived in their own little world. He could possibly be ISTP, but I don't think he was an E, despite his fame.

Sylvia Plath was not an SJ. No one could ever convince me, no matter how hard they tried, that Sylvia Plath was an SJ. She was either an INFP or INFJ - I lean more towards INFJ because of the structure of her early life before she started to really breakdown.

However, Evelyn Waugh on the other hand, may possibly have been an SJ...I think Evelyn Waugh could have been an ISTJ with a well developed N. I say this because Evelyn Waugh was very much a "guardian" in terms of his philosophical beliefs presented albeit humourously within his novels, and even in his private life as an English soldier and a devout Catholic. I mean, INT_ is also a distinct possibility, but I just can't rule out SJ completely for Waugh.

Good call on Henry Miller being ENFP. Then again, he could have been an ESFP if you examine the biography of the life he led.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I think you are spot on about F. Scott Fitzgerald being an SP, but I think he was an ISFP because he was sooooo romantic, particularly obsessed with his wife Zelda, and while he went to many parties, there was something very "inner life" about Fitzgerald - he and Zelda lived in their own little world. He could possibly be ISTP, but I don't think he was an E, despite his fame.

Sylvia Plath was not an SJ. No one could ever convince me, no matter how hard they tried, that Sylvia Plath was an SJ. She was either an INFP or INFJ - I lean more towards INFJ because of the structure of her early life before she started to really breakdown.

However, Evelyn Waugh on the other hand, may possibly have been an SJ...I think Evelyn Waugh could have been an ISTJ with a well developed N. I say this because Evelyn Waugh was very much a "guardian" in terms of his philosophical beliefs presented albeit humourously within his novels, and even in his private life as an English soldier and a devout Catholic. I mean, INT_ is also a distinct possibility, but I just can't rule out SJ completely for Waugh.

Good call on Henry Miller being ENFP. Then again, he could have been an ESFP if you examine the biography of the life he led.

Fair enough with Miller.
Plath I now considered INFJ, it's just that I can't update the list.
Fitzgerald just seems very extrovert, known more for his party lifestyle in his day than his work, although I take onboard what you're saying and it is interesting.

Waugh could well be an ISTJ. The reason I have him as an N is because of the satirical nature of his work, which tends to be an N trait, although I agree that he was very much a "guardian" of his faith.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fair enough with Miller.
Plath I now considered INFJ, it's just that I can't update the list.
Fitzgerald just seems very extrovert, known more for his party lifestyle in his day than his work, although I take onboard what you're saying and it is interesting.

Waugh could well be an ISTJ. The reason I have him as an N is because of the satirical nature of his work, which tends to be an N trait, although I agree that he was very much a "guardian" of his faith.

I can't really say about Waugh, honestly. It's just a stab in the dark. I know less about him from a biographical perspective than the others I listed - those authors I know in and out and have for years.

I love your icon by the way - too cute! :wubbie:

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I can't really say about Waugh, honestly. It's just a stab in the dark. I know less about him from a biographical perspective than the others I listed - those authors I know in and out and have for years.

I love your icon by the way - too cute! :wubbie:

Okey dokey. Thanks for the icon comment; although it tends to make people think that I'm female, it serves to make my sometimes harsh criticisms seem less potent ;)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okey dokey. Thanks for the icon comment; although it tends to make people think that I'm female, it serves to make my sometimes harsh criticisms seem less potent ;)

I feel that way about my kitten icon sometimes. It's like "oh I'm being mean and nasty and look at this cute little kitten who is mouthing you off!"

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

I agree. Fitzgerald always seemed introverted to me as well - But then again, so does Hemingway. I always saw them (especially in Hemingway's case) as compensating for a naturally inward nature because it wasn't considered "masculine". Perhaps I'm understimating the depth of the ESTP.

I'll add some new writers:

Nikolai Gogol - INTJ.
I had initially thought INTP, but I see similarities between him and Dostoevsky (INFJ), Though unlike Dostoevsky, Gogol populates his world with fairly one dimensional characters, and by the biographical information that's been provided online, I'm going with INTJ.

Robert Musil - INTX.
I've only read Five Women and an essay by Coetzee, but I'm certain he's an NT. Perhaps someone who has read Man Without Qualities can lend a hand.

Robert Walser and Knut Hamsun were most likely INTPs (though Hamsun could have been an INFJ).

I think Thomas Bernhard was either an INTJ or a disgruntled INFP

John Berryman - Probably INFP.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Lifted from my SP author thread. Any comments? Irving certainly could be ISFP, and I've always been 50:50 on Byron being ESTP/ENTP. Wordsworth too perhaps?

I'm fairly confident that John Irving is ISFP. You have him as ISFJ, but his bio marks him as an SP. He had some trouble in school and conventional learning was difficult for him, but he became interested in wrestling, and gained confidence that way. And he really appreciates the craft of writing. You might think he's SJ because he starts with the last sentence. But that's more of a technique, I think.

William Wordsworth is definitely ISFP as well. C'mon, he's the original "nature boy"! :cheese: He was also well known for his skill in landscape/garden design, which is a very ISFP interest. Many of his quotes are filled with concrete terms, and The Prelude reads like an ISFP memoir. Oh, and check the first stanza of Michael. :yes:

I think Mr. "Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know" Lord Bryon was ESTP. I'm not as sure about that one. The heroic adventures seem SP, the eccentricity less so.

I'd add Colin MacInnes ("Absolute Beginners") to ISFP. The one biography I found paints him that way, and the book is full of imagery, slang, and street life. Ed Vulliamy on writer Colin MacInnes | UK news | The Observer

There's not many SP writers, really. We've probably found most of them. Nice idea for a thread. :)

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nikolai Gogol - INTJ.
I had initially thought INTP, but I see similarities between him and Dostoevsky (INFJ), Though unlike Dostoevsky, Gogol populates his world with fairly one dimensional characters, and by the biographical information that's been provided online, I'm going with INTJ.

Robert Musil - INTX.
I've only read Five Women and an essay by Coetzee, but I'm certain he's an NT. Perhaps someone who has read Man Without Qualities can lend a hand.

Robert Walser and Knut Hamsun were most likely INTPs (though Hamsun could have been an INFJ).

I think Thomas Bernhard was either an INTJ or a disgruntled INFP

John Berryman - Probably INFP.

i've been meaning to read some of musil's work soon. one of my favorite writers, milan kundera, thinks very very highly of him. he frequently mentions musil and gombrowicz as very influential writers for him and for the course of the european novel (according to his version of its historical narrative) in general.

excalibird

MBTI Type
INFJ
I just had to post on this out-of-date thread because so many of the authors' assigned types struck me as off.
While I do agree wholeheartedly with the typing of George Eliot as INFJ and E. M. Forster as INFP (among others) there are more doubtful typings in this list than there are correct ones.

• Reading Paradise Lost alongside his prose writings, it is evident Milton is INTJ.
  • Jane Austen bases all of her novels on emotions and psychology. She is a Feeling type.
  • There are very few Extrovert writers as it is such a solitary profession. Ray Bradbury, for example, was an introvert.
  • Wordsworth was Intuitive.
  • Easton Ellis, Orwell and Ginsberg all strike me as Thinking.
I could go on, but I'm beginning to rant. I'm sorry, OP, if you are still active on here, as I've argued with something you've probably worked hard on. I get emotionally attached to my favourite authors so am hurt when I believe others misunderstand them. I don't mean to cut down what may have taken effort for you, and admire your dedication.