User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    ^ It's an annoying thing about these forums, but the most up to date list is on page 5 here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ist-iii-5.html and as you can see, Kafka has been changed to INFJ. Ken Kesey too, is now ENFP. Vonnegut is now INFJ. Point noted about William S. Burroughs, I'm still not sure we've got his type down. I have Henry Miller as ENTP. Would that not work? I will add Campbell and Robbins to the ENFPs. DFW is already listed as INFP. Added Eggers. Lester Bangs I have long since thought of as INFP, but does he fit into an author list? I may add him anyway. Added Calvino. Marquez INxP certainly. Maybe I'll put him as INFP for now, really depends how sure you are of your typing of him? Added Kundera although I'm not familiar with him personally I'll take your word for it. Added Barthelme. Still not sure of Nabakov, certainly INTP/INFJ, just INFJ seems to fit better for now. Ironic you ask, Blake as long flitted between the INFP/INFJ categories, although currently INFJ. Ginsberg will add as INFP, I have long thought this but wanted confirmation. Thanks a lot for your extensive insights state!

Didion certainly doesn't look like an ENFP! File:Joan Didion at the Brooklyn Book Festival.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    i know, that's why i thought she was an infj before i started second guessing. henry miller is 100% enfp. i've never been more certain of anything in my life (something he always says). he's just gushy at times, he's not mentally organized but still scattered and brilliant. an enfp expat reading bergson in paris and wandering the streets of brooklyn to get a hot dog at 3 am. nothing better than going for a walk. marquez is an nf, both him and calvino are tough for me. i think infp until further notice suffices.

what are your thoughts on vonnegut as infj instead of intp? i'm torn, i can see both.

also henry and june is a very interesting book. i'm still not sure if anais nin is infp or isfp. it's a tough call, i find. she definitely understands his gushing inspiration more so than she understands his Ne flights.

MBTI
    INFJ

/humbly defers to thestateiam & dynamiteninja:

Are you both sure DFW is INFP? I realize he is clearly very sensitive, but maybe I'm just ignorant in associating his penchant for formulas and mathematical mindset with T. What I'm thinking of here most clearly is his book Everything and More: A Compact History of Infinity. I would think an F would not like how math detracts from human interactions and feelings.

As for Vonnegut, you should read how he excoriates Geraldo Rivera, in his "Autobiographical Collage" Fates Worse Than Death. He is definitely prone to emotional bursts, but his short sentences imply order to me: so xNFJ makes sense. However, what do you base his Introverted function on?

P.S. Still looking for ENFJ authors other than Turgenev, Enid Blyton, & Toni Morrison.

I wish I could read Turgenev in Russian, I doubt the translator too is ENFJ. I have Toni Morrison in a stack to read, though. I put a hold on a Blyton book to analyze her style.

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Refers to Cronkle on Vonnegut, state. Changes Miller to ENFP. I really want to be sold on Nabokov being an INTP by the way!
    4w5 sp

heart on fire

I still say Blake is INFP all the way. Duality!

Same reason I really think Vidal is INFP as well.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

im as certain on dfw as an infp as i am on kerouac. he's brilliantly creative, uncomfortably perceptive, and downright awkward in most everything else. he makes shit up off the top of his head and you just keep asking for more. the feeling drips off the pages. there's a short story in oblivion (also the story of a man who killed himself explaining why he killed himself which grabs me partly from what happened) about a baby getting scalded by boiling water. it's two pages. there's no plot. just suffering. infp.

vonnegut could be infj or intp based on emotional outbursts. Fe freaking out or inferior Fe can look similar, they just shoot out like lights all the energy that was aimed at them. vonnegut seems like an i to me. solitary, lost in thought, meeting up with a few buddies for a drink in a bar. he's not mingling at the cocktail party. he's at home reading isaac asimov short stories and making jokes about jesus.

extraversion is tougher for authors bc they're always on the go. the great e authors use that to their advantage, discover and document something palpable and present. they float along without getting bogged down in i concentration, slowness, plodding methodical revision, etc.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post

extraversion is tougher for authors bc they're always on the go. the great e authors use that to their advantage, discover and document something palpable and present. they float along without getting bogged down in i concentration, slowness, plodding methodical revision, etc.
    I think this is why such a large percentage (according to Gifts Differing) of journalists are ENFJ. I think the statistic I read in gifts-differing was a little more than 60% of journalists were ENFJ.

More than half the fun, I think, of being a journalist, is walking around and meeting new people.
    It's also extremely good for networking and our penchant for social ascension; however, the simple talking to and learning from them part is more important.

What makes it easier for Extroverts than Introverts is that journalism requires deadlines, and what state just said about the way introverts tend to have revision, slowness, and a plodding nature--well, there's just not enough time for that! Paper runs tomorrow! Let's go people!

I think some famous journalists may be xNxJ: Gay Talese and Tom Wolfe, for example. Both authors are immaculately dressed and orderly (J) and not really concerned with conforming to society (N).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

John Updike may possibly be ENFJ, Cronkle, although I have to say I'm currently leaning ENFP. YouTube - Charlie Rose - John Updike

Funny (as in odd) how few ENFJ writers there are compared to the other NFs, although they would be expected to be the smallest category of NF writers.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    John Updike may possibly be ENFJ, Cronkle, although I have to say I'm currently leaning ENFP. YouTube - Charlie Rose - John Updike

Funny (as in odd) how few ENFJ writers there are compared to the other NFs, although they would be expected to be the smallest category of NF writers.

Dammit, spoilers! I didn't know Rabbit died. Oh well, I'll still get around to reading that series one day. What type do you think Charlie Rose is?

What makes you lean ENFP? I think I'm always biased towards making everyone ENFJ ;]

Barack Obama is supposed to be ENFJ. I really liked The Audacity of Hope and I hear Dreams From My Father is a great work of writing, independent of his status as president.

P.S. II What do you attribute the lack of ENFJ writers to? I know expressing myself in "the real world" is more important than on the page. So, I wonder if other ENFJs feel the same way. It seems a lot of introverted writers are not so good at expressing themselves in their day-to-day lives, so writing is something of a refuge and is likely practiced more than ENFJ.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Cronkle View Post
    Dammit, spoilers! I didn't know Rabbit died. Oh well, I'll still get around to reading that series one day. What type do you think Charlie Rose is?

What makes you lean ENFP? I think I'm always biased towards making everyone ENFJ ;]

Barack Obama is supposed to be ENFJ. I really liked The Audacity of Hope and I hear Dreams From My Father is a great work of writing, independent of his status as president.

P.S. II What do you attribute the lack of ENFJ writers to? I know expressing myself in "the real world" is more important than on the page. So, I wonder if other ENFJs feel the same way. It seems a lot of introverted writers are not so good at expressing themselves in their day-to-day lives, so writing is something of a refuge and is likely practiced more than ENFJ.
    Obama is most likely ENTP, but good news for you, Charlie Rose is an ENFJ.

And yes, the explanation you give is the most likely reason for the dearth of ENFJ writers. Lol. You've obviously thought about these things for yourself, I don't think I can further enlighten you (a good thing).
    4w5 sp

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Henry James as INFP...hmm...well, maybe that's why while I love his books (am reading one right now, actually!), when reading them I feel like I'm having to concentrate and focus intensely on what he's saying and describing. I 'get it', but it is a workout for my brain. In contrast...reading Dostoyevsky or Maugham or Tolstoy is something that totally flows for me. I don't have to concentrate nearly so hard. Makes sense - Fi as it is unleashed in novel form is quite different from Ni unleashed.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ