User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 162

  1. #141
    Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hokie912 View Post
    I agree with typing Milan Kundera as INFJ. His writing is a definite example of Ni...layers upon layers of ideas woven together in a way that seems random and perfectly coherent at the same time.
    he reminds me of dostoeyevsky, albeit more modern, sleeker, more distilled. he writes a lot about the form of the novel, talks about kafka, diderot, musil, gombrowicz, and cervantes a lot. i want to mine his influences to see other infj writers. he always manages to have heidegger or nietzsche creep into his books, two intjs.

    i'm wondering if balzac is intp or infj? what about the marquis de sade and georges bataille?

  2. #142
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Jeffrey Eugenides: INFP

    YouTube - Arts: A Conversation With Jeffrey Eugenides -- NYTimes.com

    Also typed from reading the Virgin Suicides.
    Really? I got ISFP from Virgin Suicides. He creates this great atmosphere in that book, but the characters don't feel very developed.

    --------------
    I also think Nick Hornby is ENFJ. The "heroes" of his books all reflect that, and I think he's one of those writers who projects himself onto his main characters.


    I think Hardy is an INFx. He is way too obsessed with moral issues to not be an NF. Plus there's tons of symbolism in his books, particularly in Jude the Obscure. When he delves into describing scenery and such, it's almost in a mocking way, like "look, I can do this as well as any writer".
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  3. #143
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Really? I got ISFP from Virgin Suicides. He creates this great atmosphere in that book, but the characters don't feel very developed.
    Any dominant Feeler ought to be expected to create good characters, in fact better characters than plot.

  4. #144
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Any dominant Feeler ought to be expected to create good characters, in fact better characters than plot.

    Maybe he's not Fi at all then. I think he is a sensor though. Maybe ISFJ then...?
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  5. #145
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Maybe he's not Fi at all then. I think he is a sensor though. Maybe ISFJ then...?
    Yes, I would think a dominant perceiver would more likely to place atmosphere over feeling and character. Not that they automatically would, but they would seem more likely to.

  6. #146
    Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Really? I got ISFP from Virgin Suicides. He creates this great atmosphere in that book, but the characters don't feel very developed.

    --------------
    I also think Nick Hornby is ENFJ. The "heroes" of his books all reflect that, and I think he's one of those writers who projects himself onto his main characters.


    I think Hardy is an INFx. He is way too obsessed with moral issues to not be an NF. Plus there's tons of symbolism in his books, particularly in Jude the Obscure. When he delves into describing scenery and such, it's almost in a mocking way, like "look, I can do this as well as any writer".
    True that I got ISFP from Virgin Suicides also, but maybe ISFJ then? Nick Hornby as ENFJ sounds good. You may be right with Hardy too.
    4w5 sp

  7. #147
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    INFP
    Homer
    Virgil
    William Shakespeare
    John Keats
    François-René de Chateaubriand
    Emily Bronte
    Mary Shelley
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
    Herman Melville
    James Joyce
    Virginia Woolf
    Aldous Huxley
    George Orwell
    Albert Camus
    Jack Kerouac
    Herman Hesse
    John Steinbeck
    A A Milne
    Beatrix Potter
    Leon Bloy
    Miguel de Cervantes
    Marcel Proust
    Thomas Mann
    E M Forster
    J D Salinger
    Kazuo Ishiguro
    Chuck Palahniuk
    Sebastien Faulks
    Zadie Smith
    Yukio Mishima
    Bret Easton Ellis
    Henry James
    Stephen King
    Jean Rhys
    Alan Moore
    Alex Garland
    David Foster Wallace
    Tennessee Williams
    Washington Irving
    Terry Pratchett
    Harriet Beecher Stowe
    Walt Whitman
    Arthur Miller
    Hans Christian Andersen
    Neil Gaiman
    Eugene O'Neill
    Charlotte Perkins Gilman
    Willa Cather
    Haruki Murakami
    Terry Brooks
    Madeleine L'Engle
    Jay McInerney
    Harper Lee
    James Herriot
    Irvine Welsh
    Douglas Coupland
    Dylan Thomas
    Alice Walker
    Lu Xun
    Italo Calvino
    Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Allen Ginsberg


    INFJ
    Geoffrey Chaucer
    Leo Tolstoy
    Nathaniel Hawthorne
    Joseph Conrad
    Emily Dickinson
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    G K Chesterton
    Charles Peguy
    Dante
    Goethe
    Simone De Beauvoir
    Dan Brown
    Robert Burns
    Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
    W Somerset Maugham
    Anthony Burgess
    Harold Pinter
    William Blake
    John Milton
    Graham Greene
    Gabriel Marcel
    Anne Rice
    Vladimir Nabokov
    Nella Larsen
    Tom Stoppard
    Guy Gavriel Kay
    Stephen R. Donaldson
    Piers Anthony
    George Eliot
    Kurt Vonnegut
    William Faulkner
    Tom Wolfe
    Franz Kafka
    Salman Rushdie
    Robert Louis Stevenson
    Milan Kundera


    INTJ
    Jane Austen
    C S Lewis
    Samuel Beckett
    Michael Crichton
    Cormac McCarthy
    Ayn Rand
    Philip Pullman
    Ernst Jünger
    Norman MacLean
    T S Eliot
    Wallace Stevens
    Jonathan Swift
    William S. Burroughs
    Neal Stephenson
    Ursula Le Guin
    Gustave Flaubert


    INTP
    Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    Henry David Thoreau
    Joseph Heller
    Philip K Dick
    Isaac Asimov
    Martin Amis
    Carl Sagan
    Thomas Pynchon
    Kingsley Amis
    William Gaddis
    Evelyn Waugh
    Lemony Snicket
    Will Self
    Edgar Allen Poe
    Donald Barthelme


    ENFP
    Charles Dickens
    Mark Twain
    Charlotte Bronte
    Alexander Pushkin
    L. Ron Hubbard
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    D H Lawrence
    Ken Kesey
    Edith Wharton
    Joseph Campbell
    Tom Robbins
    Henry Miller


    ENTP
    Lewis Caroll
    Lord Byron
    Oscar Wilde
    Hunter S Thompson
    Truman Capote
    Douglas Adams
    Hilaire Belloc
    Ray Bradbury
    Christopher Marlowe
    Thomas More
    Roald Dahl


    ISFJ
    William Wordsworth
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson
    Louisa May Alcott
    John Irving
    John Betjeman
    Seamus Heaney
    Sylvia Plath


    ISFP
    J K Rowling
    Percy Shelley
    Anaïs Nin
    Laura Ingalls Wilder
    Nick Hornby
    Ian Fleming
    Jeanette Winterson


    ESTP
    F Scott Fitzgerald
    Ernest Hemingway
    Norman Mailer


    ENFJ
    Ivan Turgenev
    Toni Morrison
    Enid Blyton


    ISTJ
    Ben Jonson
    Samuel Johnson


    ENTJ
    George Bernard Shaw
    Jack London


    Incomplete typings
    Ian McEwan: INxx
    Thomas Hardy: xSxJ
    J M Barrie: xSxP
    Georges Bernanos: xNFP
    Umberto Eco: INTx
    Philip Roth: INTx
    Adam Mickiewicz: INFx
    Dan Simmons: INxJ
    Taras Shevchenko: xNFP
    Frederick Douglass: INTx
    Margaret Atwood: INTx
    Mario Puzo: xSxP
    Alexander Pope: ISTJ?
    Samuel Richardson: ISTJ?
    Agatha Christie: INxJ
    Philip Larkin: INxx
    Stephanie Meyer: ExFx
    J G Ballard: INFJ?
    Robert Frost: IxFP
    William Golding: INxx
    Rudyard Kipling: xNFx
    H G Wells: INxx
    Robert Browning: xNFx
    Elizabeth Barrett Browning: xNFx
    Christina Rossetti: IxFP
    Kate Atkinson: IxFJ
    William Makepeace Thackeray: INxx
    Bram Stoker: INFx
    Alexander Dumas: INxx
    Gore Vidal: xNFP
    Paul Auster: INFP?
    Dave Eggers: xNFP
    Joan Didion: ENFP?
    Elizabeth Smart: ENFP?
    Victor Hugo: INFx?
    Juvenal: satirist - INTJ?
    J R R Tolkien: INxP
    Arthur Conan Doyle: INTJ?
    I agree with you on many of these, but here's a few I'd like to debate:

    I think you are spot on about F. Scott Fitzgerald being an SP, but I think he was an ISFP because he was sooooo romantic, particularly obsessed with his wife Zelda, and while he went to many parties, there was something very "inner life" about Fitzgerald - he and Zelda lived in their own little world. He could possibly be ISTP, but I don't think he was an E, despite his fame.

    Sylvia Plath was not an SJ. No one could ever convince me, no matter how hard they tried, that Sylvia Plath was an SJ. She was either an INFP or INFJ - I lean more towards INFJ because of the structure of her early life before she started to really breakdown.

    However, Evelyn Waugh on the other hand, may possibly have been an SJ...I think Evelyn Waugh could have been an ISTJ with a well developed N. I say this because Evelyn Waugh was very much a "guardian" in terms of his philosophical beliefs presented albeit humourously within his novels, and even in his private life as an English soldier and a devout Catholic. I mean, INT_ is also a distinct possibility, but I just can't rule out SJ completely for Waugh.

    Good call on Henry Miller being ENFP. Then again, he could have been an ESFP if you examine the biography of the life he led.

  8. #148
    Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I agree with you on many of these, but here's a few I'd like to debate:

    I think you are spot on about F. Scott Fitzgerald being an SP, but I think he was an ISFP because he was sooooo romantic, particularly obsessed with his wife Zelda, and while he went to many parties, there was something very "inner life" about Fitzgerald - he and Zelda lived in their own little world. He could possibly be ISTP, but I don't think he was an E, despite his fame.

    Sylvia Plath was not an SJ. No one could ever convince me, no matter how hard they tried, that Sylvia Plath was an SJ. She was either an INFP or INFJ - I lean more towards INFJ because of the structure of her early life before she started to really breakdown.

    However, Evelyn Waugh on the other hand, may possibly have been an SJ...I think Evelyn Waugh could have been an ISTJ with a well developed N. I say this because Evelyn Waugh was very much a "guardian" in terms of his philosophical beliefs presented albeit humourously within his novels, and even in his private life as an English soldier and a devout Catholic. I mean, INT_ is also a distinct possibility, but I just can't rule out SJ completely for Waugh.

    Good call on Henry Miller being ENFP. Then again, he could have been an ESFP if you examine the biography of the life he led.
    Fair enough with Miller.
    Plath I now considered INFJ, it's just that I can't update the list.
    Fitzgerald just seems very extrovert, known more for his party lifestyle in his day than his work, although I take onboard what you're saying and it is interesting.

    Waugh could well be an ISTJ. The reason I have him as an N is because of the satirical nature of his work, which tends to be an N trait, although I agree that he was very much a "guardian" of his faith.
    4w5 sp

  9. #149
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Fair enough with Miller.
    Plath I now considered INFJ, it's just that I can't update the list.
    Fitzgerald just seems very extrovert, known more for his party lifestyle in his day than his work, although I take onboard what you're saying and it is interesting.

    Waugh could well be an ISTJ. The reason I have him as an N is because of the satirical nature of his work, which tends to be an N trait, although I agree that he was very much a "guardian" of his faith.
    I can't really say about Waugh, honestly. It's just a stab in the dark. I know less about him from a biographical perspective than the others I listed - those authors I know in and out and have for years.

    I love your icon by the way - too cute!

  10. #150
    Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I can't really say about Waugh, honestly. It's just a stab in the dark. I know less about him from a biographical perspective than the others I listed - those authors I know in and out and have for years.

    I love your icon by the way - too cute!
    Okey dokey. Thanks for the icon comment; although it tends to make people think that I'm female, it serves to make my sometimes harsh criticisms seem less potent
    4w5 sp

Similar Threads

  1. DN's Author Type List
    By dynamiteninja in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 03-23-2017, 01:34 PM
  2. DN's Author Type List VI
    By dynamiteninja in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 11:44 PM
  3. DN's Author Type List V
    By dynamiteninja in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-24-2009, 09:41 AM
  4. DN's Author Type List IV
    By dynamiteninja in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-12-2009, 08:01 PM
  5. DN's Author Type List II
    By dynamiteninja in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 02-26-2009, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO