User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Nicole Kidman's type

What say you to Nicole Kidman as an ISFP?

On Letterman in 2001
    Written interview about the marriage/divorce
    On Leno in 2005

She can seem coldly aloof, but so could an ISFP close to me when she was younger. I'd say it's protective overcompensation rather than genuine distance.

Faced with Letterman's blunt questions in the midst of her divorce, she exudes vulnerability and self-effacing helplessness, putting herself down several times during the interview. This reminds me greatly of the ISFPs I know when they've been down. In the Leno interview, where she is happier, she's just a sweetheart.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

INFJ

I'd be shocked if she was S. She's far too ethereal for that.

ISFP women, I have found, are very "soft." (Even ISFP *men* are "soft.") Nicole comes off as frosty as a knife edge sometimes, she's not soft... but there's an etherealness that makes her appear delicate at times.

And I think her attraction to Cruise (who I saw as xSTP or something similar) was the love/hate relationship with the INFJ's inferior Se function coming out.

The short written interview is not very substantial. I didn't see anything that said "ISFP" and it still fit fine within the parameters of INFJ.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Have you seen the clips?

Edit: More substantive interviews:

Playboy 1992
    Some interview 2005?
    emanuellevy.com 2005?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    INFJ

I'd be shocked if she was S. She's far too ethereal for that.

ISFP women, I have found, are very "soft." (Even ISFP *men* are "soft.") Nicole comes off as frosty as a knife edge sometimes, she's not soft... but there's an etherealness that makes her appear delicate at times.

And I think her attraction to Cruise (who I saw as xSTP or something similar) was the love/hate relationship with the INFJ's inferior Se function coming out.

The short written interview is not very substantial. I didn't see anything that said "ISFP" and it still fit fine within the parameters of INFJ.
    you really think she's "ethereal"?

I once watched her on Oprah; Oprah kept trying to get conversation going about relationships with other actors on some film she was doing, and 9/9 times that Oprah tried to bring up something, ex. "what is she interested in? what is he like?"
    every single time she mentioned something shallow. hair, clothes, pretty, gorgeous... she did not say one deep thing the entire time.

now, maayyybeee it's that she's super private and hates to discuss anything that matters, but i would highly doubt infj.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    now, maayyybeee it's that she's super private and hates to discuss anything that matters, but i would highly doubt infj.
    I agree; she comes across as very concrete to me too. I think the "ice queen" aura is what makes her literally look N, but like I wrote in the OP, I've seen superficial cool used as an ISFP defense mechanism before. In the clips I link to in the OP, I'd say her primary Fi is pretty recognizable and also her concreteness --> ISFP. What say you, Jen?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

She's listed as an INFJ on TypeLogic, for whatever that is worth.

This interview... PopEntertainment.com: Nicole Kidman interview is quintessential INFJ to my reading.

The Playboy interview is all very mindless and surface, so it doesn't say much, but that's to be expected.

I think she's ethereal, but not sure how that defines an INFJ.

I once watched her on Oprah; Oprah kept trying to get conversation going about relationships with other actors on some film she was doing, and 9/9 times that Oprah tried to bring up something, ex. "what is she interested in? what is he like?"
    every single time she mentioned something shallow. hair, clothes, pretty, gorgeous... she did not say one deep thing the entire time.

Oprah is famous for her ability to dig into a person's deepest feelings and exposing them. Have you seen other actors on her show? Jim Carey went completely crazy with antics to avoid questions. Oprah is very threatening to someone who does not desire to open up. Such an interview as you describe would tell me Kidman did not want to go there and knew full well that if anyone could coerce her, it would be Oprah. Also, to succeed in Hollywood you have to play into a great many mindless clique's and give people what sells.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes. Not only that, but she's of the MOST ethereal actors I've ever seen, honestly.

I once watched her on Oprah; Oprah kept trying to get conversation going about relationships with other actors on some film she was doing, and 9/9 times that Oprah tried to bring up something, ex. "what is she interested in? what is he like?" every single time she mentioned something shallow. hair, clothes, pretty, gorgeous... she did not say one deep thing the entire time.
    That was Oprah. Why should she bare her soul to the international crowds, sitting in front of a live studio audience? Get her alone, in private, though, and I am very sure things would (and have) change(d).

I think her versatility is amazing. If she wasn't so good-looking (and thus having a "face" that sticks in one's mind), she'd be recognized as an extremely talented actress. She can slip into roles and become other people. Her role in "The Hours" (where she was virtually unrecognizable) really clarified this for anyone who had trouble perceiving it before.

To each, their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I agree; she comes across as very concrete to me too. I think the "ice queen" aura is what makes her literally look N, but like I wrote in the OP, I've seen superficial cool used as an ISFP defense mechanism before. In the clips I link to in the OP, I'd say her primary Fi is pretty recognizable and also her concreteness --> ISFP. What say you, Jen?
    No.

I don't really care what function you'd say is primary, simply because she's a mature adult, so primary function means far less than it does when one is younger. She also doesn't behave like a typical ISFP female. She's much colder and icier [Note: I do not necessarily mean that in the BAD sense. But there's a difference between Ariel and Belle, to use trite examples -- one is hot and passionate, the other is cooler and more pristine.] And I've never seen this ISFP "superficial cool" that you describe. It doesn't match what I see in the range of ISFP women.

She was also married to Tom Cruise for a long time, and Tom has Se going for him. This would have developed her inferior Se. (In fact, I think this is why they were actually attracted to each other -- she was intrigued by his Se, he probably found her Fe intriguing or filling in his weak spots.) So at this point, you cannot use it as a claim that she is naturally sensory.

Do you have any commentary from her teenage / high school years? That would be more telling, I think.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

i'm with jennifer on this. i remember an interview with nicole and russell crowe and she was very ethereal, kept talking about destiny, the ideal partner and more of that NF stuff.
    INTP/5w4 sx

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

btw Jennifer, my impression so far is that she is an INFJ. Having encountered so many false assumptions about INFJ's, it gets wearying to the point of nausea sometimes. Kidman so far provides a clearer example than most.

She also doesn't seem coldly aloof, but 'normal' from my infj perspective.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    btw Jennifer, my impression so far is that she is an INFJ. Having encountered so many false assumptions about INFJ's, it gets wearying to the point of nausea sometimes. Kidman so far provides a clearer example than most.
    It takes one to know one.

I found a slew of quotes of interest here.

She also doesn't seem coldly aloof, but 'normal' from my infj perspective.
    yup, personally, I find her aloof in the "good" sense -- but I have no doubt some people consider her snooty.