• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Famous Philosophers

Lotr246

List the types of famous philosophers:

Plato: INFJ

Aristotle: INTP

Kant: INTJ

Descartes: INTP

Wittgenstein: INFJ

Kierkegaard: INFP

Last edited by a moderator:

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
What about Hobbes, Machiavelli, Rousseau, Marx, Locke, Comte, Thoreau and Emerson?

Lotr246

What about Hobbes, Machiavelli, Morgenthau, Russeau, Marx, Locke, Comte, Thoreau and Emmerson?

Not quite sure about all those, but possibly:

Hobbes: INTJ

Rousseau: INFP (a quintessential romantic)

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I would guess:

Thoreau: INTP

Emerson: ENF_

I don't know all that much but:

Machiavelli: ENT_

Marx: IN_P

Comte: _NTJ

Locke: INFJ

I agree that Hobbes is an INTJ, and Rousseau is definatly an INF of some sort.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Machiavelli have always struck me as an ENTP with low extroversion and bordering on J. And an unhappy one at that. Real cynic.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Machiavelli have always struck me as an ENTP with low extroversion and bordering on J. And an unhappy one at that. Real cynic.

I think you are right. I am only going off of a bit of lecture from a few years ago. I have never read The Prince or any of his other work.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think his advice is great. You should read The Prince.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think his advice is great. You should read The Prince.

There are a lot of books that I need to read. Life is too short. I know the main philosophy; extend one hand in diplomacy while holding a dagger in the other.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Upon this, one has to remark that men ought either to be well treated or crushed, because they can avenge themselves of lighter injuries, of more serious ones they cannot; therefore the injury that is to be done to a man ought to be of such a kind that one does not stand in fear of revenge." - Chapter 3, The Prince

S

Sniffles

How was Wittgenstein an INFJ?

If you want to read Machiavelli, you have to read his Discourses on Livy if you wish to really grasp his political philosophy. Keep in mind that Machiavelli wasn't a monarchist but believed in a republican form of government.

Anyways, adding to the INFJ philosopher list:

Martin Buber
Nikolai Berdyaev
Lev Shestov
Gabriel Marcel

Still deciding on Jacques Maritain. Im guessing INFJ or INTP.

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
If you want to read Machiavelli, you have to read his Discourses on Livy if you wish to really grasp his political philosophy. Keep in mind that Machiavelli wasn't a monarchist but believed in a republican form of government.

agreed. discourses is definitely a very good read to get an idea of what machiavelli himself believed to be good and right.

the prince was machiavelli basically saying, "look, if you *have* to rule as a monarch then this is how it should work."

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
It would be nice to have some more acknowledgement that S types can think too on this thread! I'll therefore suggest:

Epicurus:

Reserved in personality, and secluded in lifestyle, advocated this above intervention in world affairs (I, also suggests P over J)

Strongly empirical and believed nothing that was not based on direct observation of phenomena and logical inferences drawn from them, eschewing abstract speculation (thus the father of the modern scientific method); focused moral philosohpy on avoidance and maximisation of sensations of pain and pleasure respectively; "rational" seeker of pleasure based on these premises (S)

Highly logical in his inferences, sought to develop unifed and consistent theoretical systems for all his ideas and relate them back to his core sensation-based principles (Ti)

Relatively "passive", self-based moral philosophy for which he recieved criticism at various times, based on avoidance of harm and maximisation of pleasure to oneself and others; essentially "live and let live", "avoid drawing attention to oneself", "enjoy what is to be enjoyed" (P)

ISTP

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wittgenstein- infp
nietzsche- infj
kierkegaard - infj
marx- intp
heidegger- intj?
derrida- intp

what about deleuze? zizek? foucault? bergson?

S

Sniffles

How on earth was Nietzsche INFJ? INTJ would be more accurate.

heart

heart on fire
Not quite sure about all those, but possibly:

Hobbes: INTJ

Rousseau: INFP (a quintessential romantic)

Rousseau was ISFP, they're romantic too but more focused on natural world and life just like Rousseau. Compare to Novalis or Kieregaard as INFP focused on more abstract topics.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How on earth was Nietzsche INFJ? INTJ would be more accurate.

a terrible example of projection. my bad.

i never realized why i ignore his systematic works and just read his aphoristic and poetic ones. now i get it. pretty much my entire approach to philosophy.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what would you look for as signs in a philosopher that he is an intj or an intp? like zizek and derrida and people who are always changing the signs in their systems would be more likely to be intps (Ti Ne), and gruff tyrannical proto-fascist heideggers, nietzsches, etc would be intjs (Ni Te)? more conceptual vs more systematic? is marx an intj? hegel?

what do you think wittgenstein was? i change my take and go with infj too. his entire life story is never feeling at home in the world. and he was a mystic at heart who hated systematic philosophy. he was poetic. "our language is like an ancient city..."

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought I read somewhere that Hobbes was ISTJ or something like that.