• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Famous Philosophers

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I love Rousseau.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Arthur Schopenhauer - 5w4 SX/SO INTP ? Very unhealthy one
:/

Schopenhauer was INxJ (Leaning INFJ). Compare him to INTP philosophers (Descartes, Spinoza, Pascal, Hegel, Marx) and there's noticeable differences; He's a much better writer than any of them, for one thing. Then of course there's the irrationality of his thought, the emphasis on (negative) emotion and the fiddling with eastern concepts. Though the systematic mode of his thinking could be Ti, it's not rigid nor saddled with the 'principles' being dominant Ti would bring and Ne? Where is it in Schopenhauer? I really can't see him as an INTP.

I'm not sure about the Social variant either. Then again, I've never read a very thorough bio of ol' Grumpy Artie, so until I do, I'll leave that open.
Still, I think Joyce is a better (and more obvious) example of a 5w4 SX/SO or Wittgenstein, who I'd type as an INFJ 5w6 Sx/So (maybe so/sx)

Heidegger - INTJ 5 (Uncertain about wing) Sp/So

Usurper

Why do people always type Nietzsche as INTJ ? He complained that the world has grown ''too cold and scientific'' and that the artist really had no place in it anymore. His thoughts also seem scattered to me.
I am by no means implying that I know more about this than you, because I clearly don't, I'm just curious.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ayn Rand: INTJ 1w9 Sp/So
John Locke: INFP 5w4 Sp/Sx

Usurper

Ayn Rand a philosopher ? Oh please, she wrote extremely badly written novels for the American philistine, with no deep insight or thought in them.

I do not know about John Locke enough to actually ''type'' him, but wouldn't it make more sense for the empiricists to be Sensors ?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ayn Rand a philosopher ? Oh please, she wrote extremely badly written novels for the American philistine, with no deep insight or thought in them.
no

I do not know about John Locke enough to actually ''type'' him, but wouldn't it make more sense for the empiricists to be Sensors ?
no

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Why do people always type Nietzsche as INTJ ? He complained that the world has grown ''too cold and scientific'' and that the artist really had no place in it anymore. His thoughts also seem scattered to me.
I am by no means implying that I know more about this than you, because I clearly don't, I'm just curious.

I just read a short article about Nietzsche yesterday. His ideas aren't so much against science as they are about being against believing science can provide understanding of the object with any depth. He still believed in the study of objects because it provided meaning. He also talks about objects having two aspects. There "true" qualities and what we interpret them as which is extremely introverted intuition.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Karl Marx- INFJ LII-ILE 5w4 > 1w2 > 2w1 so/sx
Socrates- ENTP ILE-ILE 7w8 > 4w3 > 8w7 sp/so

I've changed my mind on Nietzsche's instinct varient; it's sx/sp.

From what I read of him, his thought pattern seems to be Ni + Te + Fi. Although I do often wonder if he may actually be a different type than what I initially guessed :thinking:

Also, he didn't outright hate science, but knew that an over-reliance was impractical as science cannot answer everyone question we hope to know.

Nicodemus

Why do people always type Nietzsche as INTJ ?
Because he was both a pragmatist and a mystic, because his biography reads like an INJ walking through 19th century Europe and, finally, because his insights (Ni, if you like) are carried to their respective ends so mercilessly that people are inclined to type him T rather than F.

John Rawls: INTgiantP.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nietzsche: INTJ 5w6 Sx/So
Heidegger: INFJ 6w5 Sp/Sx
Socrate: ENTP Type 8
Aristotle: ENTJ Type 1
Murray Rothbard: ENTP
Ludwig von Mises: ENTP 7w8 Sp/So or So/Sp
Sartre and Beauvoir: INTP and INFJ, both 5w4 So/Sx
Anton La Vey: ESTP 7w8 Sx/So

G

Ginkgo

Dilophosaurus

dilophosaurus-705604.jpg

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't know where you get these type calls, but Ayn Rand is definitely Sx. Someone even wrote a book called The Passion of Ayn Rand. Of course I have many other reasons for my call.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know where you get these type calls, but Ayn Rand is definitely Sx. Someone even wrote a book called The Passion of Ayn Rand. Of course I have many other reasons for my call.

Propaganda. That can't be taken seriously.

Critical Hit

MBTI Type
ENTP

The Passion of Ayn Rand if I remember correctly was supposed to be a play on "The Passion of the Christ"

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Passion of Ayn Rand if I remember correctly was supposed to be a play on "The Passion of the Christ"

"The Passion of the Christ" - 2004
"The Passion of Ayn Rand" - 1987