• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Famous Philosophers

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Socrates - INTP obviously, afaik even jung said hes an INTP and many others who are professionals with this also type him as INTP.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Kant - INTP
Kierkegaard - INFP

Last edited:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Does anyone want to try the 20th Century Marxists - Adorno, Benjamin, Gramsci, Eagleton, Fromm, etc.?

Or the postmodernists - Baudrillard, Guattari, Deleuze, Foucault?

/philosophy n00b :blush:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anyone want to try the 20th Century Marxists - Adorno, Benjamin, Gramsci, Eagleton, Fromm, etc.?

I'm going to take a guess and say that most Marxists are probably So doms of some sort.

Lark

Fromm's an interesting case, when I think about it his philosophy is pretty different from even those others mentioned as 20th century philosophers alongside him, I'm reading Feuerbach's Essence of Christianity and its a lot like Fromm's You Shall Be Gods, his analysis of the old testament, they both owed a lot to a much earlier time if you ask me even if they radically reinterpreted the ideas from then.

Its interesting what philosophers come up in threads like these, I'm glad Martin Buber did, although it took longer for Socrates and Aristotle to get a mention than I thought and Nietzsche gets much, much, much more air time these days than I've ever known him to get, its like he's the philosopher of late adolescence and early life now, the rebel, or so he's perceived, which Marx or others once fufilled.

S

Sniffles

On what grounds can you argue for Marx and Heidegger as INFJ? :dry:

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Changed my mind on Nietzsche: INTJ 5w4 > 4w5 > 8w9 so/sx (or sx/so)

I'm only slightly familiar with Foucault and have just started reading some of his works; I'd say INTJ is probably somewhat likely.

On what grounds can you argue for Marx and Heidegger as INFJ? :dry:

I think Marx may be INFJ due to function order: Ni vision of how class society works through time (and mostly the philosophy that he got from Hegel) and Ti framework of a comunist society would work, with Fe's 'ZOMGZ capitalism is Evulz! I'll make communist philosophy to save the people!'

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ayn Rand: INTJ 1w9 Sp/So.

Ayn Rand was INTJ 1w9 Sx/So.

"The instinctual energy of this subtype is the most at odds with their dominant Oneness. This subtype is the most intense. They are looking for perfection in everyone they are close to, not just their spouses. They can be very charismatic and engaging. They can also be very persuasive, like the social/sexual. If they have an opinion you are going to hear about it. It’s very important for them to be understood. They are outwardly competitive. Like the social/sexual, they too may be mistyped as other enneatypes. The anger that is under the surface with the other instinctual variants of type One is much more likely to be apparent with this subtype. You always know where you stand with them. They can mimic type Eight's energy in this regard. On the high side, this type is warm and engaging, but on the down side this same energy can bring with it the full brunt of the One's anger and the need to be right."
http://www.ocean-moonshine.net/e142...er_op=view_page&PAGE_id=14&MMN_position=81:80

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I'm going to take a guess and say that most Marxists are probably So doms of some sort.

Considering Marxist criticism involves indetifying the dominant ideologies in a given social context, I can see why you'd think that...

I can't really vouch for their type unless I read them more thoroughly, though. :shrug:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ayn Rand: INTJ 1w9 Sp/So
John Locke: INFP 5w4 Sp/Sx

Here is part of the type 1 Sp/Sx stacking description:
"On the down side, they can become obsessive-compulsive. They can lose the forest for the trees in attempting to make their homes and environments perfect."

Maybe. But you don't seem to realize, having not read any Rand-related biographies, that Rand allowed her cats to claw up her furniture, among other things such as that. Not such a perfect environment.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here is part of the type 1 Sp/Sx stacking description:
"On the down side, they can become obsessive-compulsive. They can lose the forest for the trees in attempting to make their homes and environments perfect."

Maybe. But you don't seem to realize, having not read any Rand-related biographies, that Rand allowed her cats to claw up her furniture, among other things such as that. Not such a perfect environment.

Ayn Rand's tritype was 146. Type 1 is obvious. She was also a rather bohemian artist type at 4, and she held certain prejudices as a 6 would (e.g., she didn't trust men with beards).

After coming up with 146, I looked up tritypes on wiki and the 146 is labeled "philosopher."

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
John Locke: INFP 5w4 Sp/Sx

From what I have breifly read and know of John Locke, I'd type him INTJ. His whole appraoch to his political philosophy was a vision of how government should be set up (Ni) in combination with a system that actually works (Te); in his day, shitty-ass monarchy's were common, and of course they utterly failed to function as decent methods of governing, much inlike the U.S. today, which is based of Locke's social ideals. Also his empirical philosophy and writing style betray that of an Ni dom more so than an Ne user.

Also, what reason do you have for typing him 5w4?

S

Sniffles

Has Durkheim's type been determined? I saw Weber typed INFJ - that's probable. Given the description of his thought processes by his wife, he seems to have been Ni-dom at least.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From what I have breifly read and know of John Locke, I'd type him INTJ. His whole appraoch to his political philosophy was a vision of how government should be set up (Ni) in combination with a system that actually works (Te); in his day, shitty-ass monarchy's were common, and of course they utterly failed to function as decent methods of governing, much inlike the U.S. today, which is based of Locke's social ideals. Also his empirical philosophy and writing style betray that of an Ni dom more so than an Ne user.

Also, what reason do you have for typing him 5w4?

I think he was either a 5w4 or a 1w9. I don't see any 2, 3, 6, 7 or 8.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think he was either a 5w4 or a 1w9. I don't see any 2, 3, 6, 7 or 8.

1w9 would have been my guess; although tri-type wise, both 1w9 and 5w4 would work. As for instinct varient though, he's certain an So first from what I can tell (what with creating a whole political framework as to how we should live by).

INTP-owl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hobbes: INTJ)

Are you sure Hobbes is an INTJ? He always seemed like an Si-user to me, since Leviathan was essentially written as a defense of the English monarchy in his time

sorenx7

I'd be curious about Miguel de Unamuno's type, although I realize info on that might not be readily available.