User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Robert De Niro's type

What say you to Robert De Niro as an INFJ?

Notoriously reticent, there's not much on YouTube with him, but there is this:

Talking about three of his iconic roles (16 minutes)
    Being asked silly questions while jetlagged (2 minutes)

IMDB profile (quotes at the bottom)

Matt Damon on working with De Niro in The Good Shepherd (Link):

Bob [De Niro] was just insistent on absolute naturalism and realism. He’s a student of human behavior. I’ve never seen an actor as famous as him walk into a room and do what he does, which is he just disappears. He absolutely disappears. He sits there and he watches everything. He sees absolutely every interaction. The reason his work remains so good, and he remains so relevant as an artist, is because he sits there and he is constantly just downloading human behavior. Oftentimes actors become famous and they end up doing imitations of their own performances, or imitations of what they think people might do in certain situations. Very few of them sit there and do the kind of rigorous observation that it takes to embody people in a subtle, nuanced and real way.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It's possible. The reticence can be indicative of any really, really extreme IN. It is clear how intensely private he is. The quote about disappearing and observing human behavior is spot on. Looking at characters from every angle also seems rather Ni. There were also quotes about him being overly intense about acting when younger and maturity leads to a more relaxed confidence.
    Last edited by labyrinthine; 08-05-2007 at 09:24 AM.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

He's definitely ISxx. My guess is ISTJ, but he's so private that it's hard to really tell. I can't see him as any type of NF though.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    He's definitely ISxx. My guess is ISTJ, but he's so private that it's hard to really tell. I can't see him as any type of NF though.
    Are you sure you're ENTP? You seem so J.

Mind backing up your "definitely S" reading?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Are you sure you're ENTP? You seem so J.
    Lol, the tag on my back says "ENTP". Why do you say I am a J?

Mind backing up your "definitely S" reading?
    Well I think we can all agree he is an Introvert. I don't see any part of his life that strikes me as an NF, and I can't conceive of him as an INTP either. That description of him sitting there and observing everything is a description of Ni or Si, so I guess he could be INTJ, but also could be ISTJ or ISFJ. (I haven't fully ruled out ISxP either until I find out more about him.)

The description of him being naturalistic though lends itself to more Si than Ni, since Si is more concrete. He is acting out what he sees rather than extrapolating or inventing something new like you would expect in Ni. He's a fantastic actor, but his acting style looks different from most other actors, which makes a good case for an SJ type. But I'm not really sold on any type for him yet. The only two letters I'm fairly sure of are I and S, and I could be convinced INTJ if a good enough case was made.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

He always has seemed very S to me.

He also seems to take on (and excel with) very S-styled roles. What I see with N's is that they do a variety of pictures (some real, some very very fanciful); but if you examine de Niro's career, he has almost always (as far as I can recall) confined himself to down-to-earth, very tangible roles and pictures. Even his fluff pictures (like Meet the Parents) are not N-flavored movies, they are still very S in the humor and situations.

He also seems to have a very down-to-earth approach to his acting style itself. It's not a hi-falutin' fancy-pants style like Johnny Depp can portray sometimes, his characters are ALWAYS have grit. You can almost reach out and TOUCH them, they are the next door neighbor or the college friend or the uncle you drink beers with at the annual family picnic. (This is similar to the sort of pictures that Clint Eastwood directs, interestingly... the characters are not as much archetypes, the situations not really epic, as they are tangible average people and the situations believable.)

I would be very surprised if he was an N of any sort. I would also call him a T. I think the T is what contributes to his impersonality/reclusiveness. He doesn't show a public persona because he sees that as irrelevant to his career, he's very happy as a T to be an unknown in the media.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Then again, they do call it "acting" for a reason.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    And next you will try to tell me that Ashton Kutcher is actually a WONDERFUL actor because only a good actor can portray bad acting so perfectly.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think IXTX makes the most sense....he strikes me as an ISTP or maybe an INTP, actually.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    If you study acting enough though you find that there is no perfect acting style. Some actors excel at creating complex motivations for their character. Others naturally have good reactions and chemistry with basically anyone they act with. And others have well defined, crisp gestures and voice inflections. All of the really talented actors still have their strengths and weakness, but their acting style is often a reflection of their type. It's a reflection of how they view the world and what they consider important when creating a character.