User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Maybe I should keep out of typing people threads, it's kind of pointless.

Anyway, say if De Niro was an ISFP (I don't know what his actual type is) this:

Bob [De Niro] was just insistent on absolute naturalism and realism. He’s a student of human behavior. I’ve never seen an actor as famous as him walk into a room and do what he does, which is he just disappears. He absolutely disappears. He sits there and he watches everything. He sees absolutely every interaction. The reason his work remains so good, and he remains so relevant as an artist, is because he sits there and he is constantly just downloading human behavior. Oftentimes actors become famous and they end up doing imitations of their own performances, or imitations of what they think people might do in certain situations. Very few of them sit there and do the kind of rigorous observation that it takes to embody people in a subtle, nuanced and real way.
    ...looks very much like taking in information through his senses (Se) and processing it with Fi and Ni. Which is exactly what an ISFP would probably do if they were to become an actor.

Edit: To elaborate:

Fi:
    It is like having an internal sense of the “essence” of a person or a project and reading fine distinctions among feeling tones.
    +

Se:
    We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context.
    +

Ni:
    This process can involve working out complex concepts or systems of thinking or conceiving of symbolic or novel ways to understand things that are universal.
    = Something similar to what De Niro is described as doing.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/introvertedfeeling.html

I'm not saying that is what he's doing but it might be, and there's no reason to rule it out.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFJ

My point is that great NF actors like Marlon Brando, James Dean, Johnny Depp etc. are known for using their imaginations. Acting coaches have a name for that brand of acting- "intuitive" acting.

The great SP actors, on the other hand, like Jack Nicholson, Paul Newman, Daniel Craig etc. use sense memory and are known for being more "technical" in their work.

I'm not saying that is what he's doing but it might be, and there's no reason to rule it out.
    Anything's possible. I've heard of both SP's and NF's alike doing that. It could point to De Niro being either one of the two. The difference is that NF's just soak people in like sponges, as opposed to SP's who'll pick up specific mannerisms on a more detailed basis. In any case, simply observing people isn't enough to learn how to act. Emotions can't be faked that way. Modern acting is about manipulating emotions and immersing oneself in a story. As I said before, an SP actor would make use of SENSE memory to do their work. Robert De Niro doesn't use sense memory, though, he uses his imagination. So that's why I've been guessing him to be an NF.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFob View Post
    I've talked with countless S's about this and every single one of them has said the same thing- they don't really daydream.
    Apparently "countless" is still not enough.

The "S types don't use imagination" ought to be in the very first paragraph on the essay "Misconceptions About Types."
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFJ

The "S types don't use imagination" ought to be in the very first paragraph on the essay "Misconceptions About Types."
    I never said that S types don't use imagination. Just that the S imagination isn't as vivid as an NF one. And don't act like I'm being some typist stereotyping asshole. Each type has their advantages and weak spots. The vivid imagination just happens to be one of the advantages NF's have. SP's have plenty of creative advantages of their own.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

My point is that great NF actors like Marlon Brando, James Dean, Johnny Depp etc. are known for using their imaginations. Acting coaches have a name for that brand of acting- "intuitive" acting.

The great SP actors, on the other hand, like Jack Nicholson, Paul Newman, Daniel Craig etc. use sense memory and are known for being more "technical" in their work.
    But say if an IS_P actor decided to develop their tertiary function (Ni) so they could improve their "intuitive" acting abilities, you would probably lump them in with the "intuitive" actors even though that is not there dominant type. What is "sense memory" any way, it sounds like Si and a lot of SPs suck at Si.

Anything's possible. I've heard of both SP's and NF's alike doing that. It could point to De Niro being either one of the two. The difference is that NF's just soak people in like sponges, as opposed to SP's who'll pick up specific mannerisms on a more detailed basis. In any case, simply observing people isn't enough to learn how to act. Emotions can't be faked that way. Modern acting is about manipulating emotions and immersing oneself in a story. As I said before, an SP actor would make use of SENSE memory to do their work. Robert De Niro doesn't use sense memory, though, he uses his imagination. So that's why I've been guessing him to be an NF.
    See my elaboration I added in my last post and tell me again that those functions just simply observe people.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

And don't act like I'm being some typist stereotyping asshole.
    It does look kind of bad when you're seemingly defining people only by one function.

Each type has their advantages and weak spots. The vivid imagination just happens to be one of the advantages NF's have. SP's have plenty of creative advantages of their own.
    I personally don't see type as limiting anything, it is just an natural inclination, nothing more and nothing less and I'm pretty sure that's consistent with the theory. Type does not define what you can and can't do.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFJ

See my elaboration I added in my last post and tell me again that those functions just simply observe people.
    You would know better than I. It was wrong on my part to make that presumption on what exactly would be going through an ISFP's mind and body when he or she sits down to observe other people. I can only, as an NF, tell you what it's like for an NF to observe and try to soak in people. I'm not an ISFP, though, so I would need an ISFP like you to describe what it's like for you to do the same thing.

But say if an IS_P actor decided to develop their tertiary function (Ni) so they could improve their "intuitive" acting abilities, you would probably lump them in with the "intuitive" actors even though that is not there dominant type.
    You've got a point. De Niro could very well be an SP with well-developed Ni. And I don't really know enough about him to say that he's either an INFJ or ISFP.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I'm not an ISFP, though, so I would need an ISFP like you to describe what it's like for you to do the same thing.
    That is the difficult thing though, describing in words can be hard, we are more likely to show the results of those processes through action (ie. acting? ).

Quinlan's Creations

heart on fire

I vote for ISFP. I don't see how he could be anything else really. He's too in the moment. People are mistaking whimsical, unique and feeling for head in the clouds.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

^Agreed.

I'll go with ISP, don't know much else though.