User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 70

  1. #11
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    No, I meant acting in relation to the real person's type. I guess the quotation marks threw everyone off. And I think it's just as silly to try and type people based on interviews.

  2. #12
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    No, I meant acting in relation to the real person's type. I guess the quotation marks threw everyone off. And I think it's just as silly to try and type people based on interviews.
    Agreed.

    Especially extremely jet-lagged interviews. People are typing actors based on the roles they play. Remember it is quite common for INFJs to play their opposites.
    I'm not sold on DeNiro as an INFJ, but so far the best argument backed up with information leans in that direction. I'm still waiting to hear why he's an S besides "he seems it."
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  3. #13
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I'm still waiting to hear why he's an S besides "he seems it."
    Um, was there any better explanation offered for the NF interpretation? (I must have missed it.)

    He does not pattern-lock with me for an NF configuration, based on my mental repository. (Oh gee, I sound like a geek...) He pattern locks much better with the S's I know.

    That's not specific proof of anything, but it certainly directs my approach.

    Still, now I am starting to just speculate, so I will wait until I do some real research.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #14
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Um, was there any better explanation offered for the NF interpretation? (I must have missed it.)
    The quote in the OP could well represent other types, but it is the epitome of NF-ness (particularly the INFJ) to the best of my comprehension. It is his emphasis on empathy as the foundation of his art.

    Quote Originally Posted by OP
    Bob [De Niro] was just insistent on absolute naturalism and realism. He’s a student of human behavior. I’ve never seen an actor as famous as him walk into a room and do what he does, which is he just disappears. He absolutely disappears. He sits there and he watches everything. He sees absolutely every interaction. The reason his work remains so good, and he remains so relevant as an artist, is because he sits there and he is constantly just downloading human behavior. Oftentimes actors become famous and they end up doing imitations of their own performances, or imitations of what they think people might do in certain situations. Very few of them sit there and do the kind of rigorous observation that it takes to embody people in a subtle, nuanced and real way.
    More DeNiro quotes from the links in the OP
    Quote Originally Posted by DeNiro
    "It's important not to indicate. People don't try to show their feelings, they try to hide them."

    One of the things about acting is it allows you to live other people's lives without having to pay the price."

    I've never been one of those actors who has touted myself as a fascinating human being. I had to decide early on wether I was to be an actor or a personality."
    Some descriptors of INFJs from TypeLogic page.
    Quote Originally Posted by INFJ
    INFJs have a knack for fluency in language and facility in communication. In addition, nonverbal sensitivity enables the INFJ to know and be known by others intimately.

    Due in part to the unique perspective produced by this alternation between detachment and involvement in the lives of the people around them, INFJs may well have the clearest insights of all the types into the motivations of others, for good and for evil. The most important contributing factor to this uncanny gift, however, are the empathic abilities often found in Fs, which seem to be especially heightened in the INFJ type (possibly by the dominance of the introverted N function).
    I'm not sold on this being his type, but i understand why the thread starter might think this. It is compelling.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  5. #15
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Agreed.

    Especially extremely jet-lagged interviews. People are typing actors based on the roles they play. Remember it is quite common for INFJs to play their opposites.
    Yes, that's why I suggested that Vin Diesel was an xNFJ, since he usually plays xSTP characters. I would also suspect that N actors are better at impersonating different characters, while S actors are a personality.

    As I said once before, doing research on the actor's interests throughout their childhood is undoubtedly a much better indication of their type.

  6. #16
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Lol, the tag on my back says "ENTP". Why do you say I am a J?
    Because you unreservedly disagreed with my typings, I'm afraid.

    I had a bad posting day yesterday. I'm better now. (Note to self: If using smileys doesn't come naturally, don't post. :1377

    TLL and Jennifer, I see where you're coming from with the S (and T) feels. I guess we need more data! It really is too bad De Niro doesn't do the talk show circuit or open up much in written interviews.

    Incidentally, I'd love to hear people's takes on the other typings I posted over the weekend (and previously of course). I promise to be less pig-headed than I was about Reese Witherspoon.

  7. #17
    Senior Member SuperFob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    264

    Default

    I highly doubt Robert De Niro is an S.

  8. #18
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperFob View Post
    I highly doubt Robert De Niro is an S.
    Because?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

  9. #19
    Senior Member SuperFob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    264

    Default

    I'll start with what was said about the way Robert De Niro is known to observe human behavior. It was said that actors who do that must be S's.

    I don't think that's true at all. I don't think observing human behavior and using it in one's acting technique in any way points to someone being an S. In fact, it may even be an indicator of them being an N. I know this because I've acted before and done the exact same thing.

    The thing about me is that I'm like a sponge- I tend to soak people in. Whenever I spend a lot of time around someone, I start acting like them. I pick up their voice inflections, mannerisms, accent, etc. Why do people think it's an S thing? It's not about the details for me, because I hardly pay attention to all the little tics in the way a person talks and moves. My combination of N and F just absorbs all of that in a subconscious way the same way I tend to absorb other people's emotional states. I'm just really good at spending time around someone, detecting their 'aura', and then imitating them effortlessly without thinking about it. It's something I've noticed other NF actors I've met can do very well, too.

    Leaving that behind, though- His acting style is a known thing. And through what's known about it, I don't think it's S-derived at all. Robert De Niro was trained by Stella Adler, and it was a training that consisted of him learning how to act through his imagination. Stella Adler's acting technique was all about developing the imagination and then using it to immerse oneself in the imaginary circumstances of a play. In other words, Stella Adler-trained actors acted by turning their characters and scenes into personal fantasy-lives. Robert De Niro was known to be very loyal to this acting technique. And it's not S at all. Stella Adler once said that her acting style, the one Robert De Niro used, was empathy. The imagination comes from N and F. The fact that Robert De Niro was so good at this acting style lends me to believe that he was undoubtedly an NF, and quite possibly, as the OP stated, an INFJ.

  10. #20
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperFob View Post
    I don't think observing human behavior and using it in one's acting technique in any way points to someone being an S.

    Yeah, I don't think it points either way really, just points to being a thoughtful actor, which any type can be if they want to.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

Similar Threads

  1. Robert De Niro Is A Complete Idiot
    By Xann in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2017, 12:17 AM
  2. Opinion on Robert Fripp's MBTI type?
    By nathjames in forum Celebrity Personality Types
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2016, 03:38 PM
  3. No Type
    By paulwhy in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2015, 09:01 PM
  4. Julia Roberts' type
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 08:04 AM
  5. [NF] What sort of topics are NF type topics?
    By Alienclock in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 09:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO