• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Celebrity Chefs

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Bourdain is an ENTP, although I thought he might be an introvert at first. He seems almost introverted in the way he gets embarrassed by the spotlight at times, but I think part of that is just thinking something is ridiculous or too emotionally vulnerable. He likes to hear himself talk and clearly thinks he is funny, and that definitely says ExTP.

I think he's intuitive because he adds a lot of philosophical commentary to the show and goes off on tangents, makes weird connections between things, and has this ornery attitude that screams NT to me, not SP. SPs seem much more "go with the flow".

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My kind of topic. :)

Gordon Ramsay: ENTJ
Nigella Lawson: ISFP
Jamie Oliver: ESFP
Emeril Lagasse: ESTP
Giada De Laurentiis: ESFJ
Rachel Ray: ESFP
Paula Deen: ESFJ
Ina Garten: ISFJ
Martha Stewart: ISFJ
Wolfgang Puck: ESTP
Anthony Bourdain: ENTP (his snarkiness throws me)
Bobby Flay: ESTP
Guy Fieri: ESTP
Jacques Pepin: INFJ
Julia Child: INFJ
Justin Wilson: ESFJ
Alton brown: INTP
Mario batali: ENFJ
Nigel slater: Not sure
Thomas keller: Not sure
Charley trotter: Not sure
Morimoto: ESxP
Martin Yan: ESxP
Cat Cora: INTJ
Duff-The Ace of Cakes guy: INFP
Michael Chiarello: ISFP
Robert Irvine: ESTJ

Especially Martha Stewart. All that decorating for the sake of... decorating. Buying M&Ms just the express purpose of putting it in decorative jars. Like, wtf. Cooking things that take half a billion steps over several hours of the day. Seriously wow, a different world. I'm just too working class I think.

Then you might prefer Sandra Lee - ESFJ

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
cat cora seems more istj then intj but i still like her.

no wonder i like batali first and foremost (orange converse! southern italian! vietnamese! spanish drama! fuckin fennel and anchovies!), then alton, julia child who i thought was intj and her friend jacques pepin who makes sense as infj.

i'm still waiting to be sold on bourdain as entp insted of estp. is he not more hemingway wannabe then entp prankster? he never makes me laugh, but maybe that's bc i get the wrong side of him. maybe i'll come around.

i fucking hate bobby flay.

what type is nigel slater? he seems soooo F to me.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think Nigella might be an N. She has a literary background and was a food writer for many years. The way she uses language just says N to me. So maybe INFP.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Laura Calder - I'm finding difficult to type, she seems a bit reserved
Chuck Hughes - ESTP - I'm completely in love with this guy. :heart:
Tyler Florence - xSFJ. Not sure E or I

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Anyone know what Anne Burrell is? She's very commanding and authoritative, but at the same time, she's visibly nervous and fidgety as well as bubbly and outgoing. I'm thinking ESFJ, but could she be a lighter ESTJ or something else?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anyone know what Anne Burrell is? She's very commanding and authoritative, but at the same time, she's visibly nervous and fidgety as well as bubbly and outgoing. I'm thinking ESFJ, but could she be a lighter ESTJ or something else?

Agreed. I'm leaning towards ESTJ. I don't get nervous from her but I do get fidgety and high energy within a clear framework.

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Agreed. I'm leaning towards ESTJ. I don't get nervous from her but I do get fidgety and high energy within a clear framework.

You're probably right. Thinking about it, she kinda has more of a Te vibe than a Fe one. She's just much nicer and more personable than ESTJ descriptions make them out to be.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Nigella Lawson i have a hard time seeing ISFP though I hope she is. can you say something more about this?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I get ESFJ for Nigella.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
okay i watched more videos with Nigella Lawson. I don't know her that well but I think she's actually ENFJ!

her style is 'proper' rather than 'personal' (Fe)
she is a master of insinuation (N)
she uses a lot of flowering verbiage (N)
seems clearly extrovert (E)
her points of reference are to cultural norms "celery, to me, is just a beautiful as a vase of flowers" (Fe)
seems very concious of how her viewers will see her (Fe)

now she does say a lot of things about being messy, giong without a script (P)
but a lot of ENFJs i know are actually not that structured in their lives. its more in the manner they speak that shows them to be extroverted judgers; they like definiting things a lot. so does Nigella. and that's certainly not and ISFP trait.

I'd love it if she was ISFP or ESFJ. I am actively looking for notable ESFJs and ISFPs. I just don't think she is either of those. i have already said why i don't think she's ISFP and for ESFJ, well she's just more "between the lines" than on them:

letterman: "where does one get a fish like that?"
lawson: "the sea"
<implicit derogation points to N>
<violation of SJ love of facts and details>

lawson: "by cooking i actively learned that there was something to be said for mindless repetition - and that's why I took to TV" (not exact quote)
<self irony points to N and/or P>
<spinning the point like this likewise points to N or P>

Also, would an ESFJ have such trouble with details, bills, cleaning etc. ?
Would an ESFJ typicaly do "cooking with no rules" ?

I'd be delighted if she *was* ESFJ, but is she? I dont think so.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
okay i watched more videos with Nigella Lawson. I don't know her that well but I think she's actually ENFJ!

her style is 'proper' rather than 'personal' (Fe)
she is a master of insinuation (N)
she uses a lot of flowering verbiage (N)
seems clearly extrovert (E)
her points of reference are to cultural norms "celery, to me, is just a beautiful as a vase of flowers" (Fe)
seems very concious of how her viewers will see her (Fe)

now she does say a lot of things about being messy, giong without a script (P)
but a lot of ENFJs i know are actually not that structured in their lives. its more in the manner they speak that shows them to be extroverted judgers; they like definiting things a lot. so does Nigella. and that's certainly not and ISFP trait.

I'd love it if she was ISFP or ESFJ. I am actively looking for notable ESFJs and ISFPs. I just don't think she is either of those. i have already said why i don't think she's ISFP and for ESFJ, well she's just more "between the lines" than on them:

letterman: "where does one get a fish like that?"
lawson: "the sea"
<implicit derogation points to N>
<violation of SJ love of facts and details>

lawson: "by cooking i actively learned that there was something to be said for mindless repetition - and that's why I took to TV" (not exact quote)
<self irony points to N and/or P>
<spinning the point like this likewise points to N or P>

Also, would an ESFJ have such trouble with details, bills, cleaning etc. ?
Would an ESFJ typicaly do "cooking with no rules" ?

I'd be delighted if she *was* ESFJ, but is she? I dont think so.

I am tickled by this discussion. :D

I could go for ENFJ as well as ESFJ. I don't believe in the same markers that would make her N vs. S that you described in this post. N vs. S is one of hardest things for me to determine in a persons type but I see a ton of Si in her. And she's extroverted and a Feeler. That's all I know.

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
What about Geoffrey Zakarian, the new Iron Chef? I can't place anything for this guy. He seems like a ISFJ to me, but I'm not sure about anything except the J.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That is correct. And so as a reward for giving the correct answer I have uploaded a new video to YouTube:

toddha

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Gordon Ramsey as ESTJ

My kind of topic. :)

Gordon Ramsay: ENTJ
Nigella Lawson: ISFP
Jamie Oliver: ESFP
Emeril Lagasse: ESTP
Giada De Laurentiis: ESFJ
Rachel Ray: ESFP
Paula Deen: ESFJ
Ina Garten: ISFJ
Martha Stewart: ISFJ
Wolfgang Puck: ESTP
Anthony Bourdain: ENTP (his snarkiness throws me)
Bobby Flay: ESTP
Guy Fieri: ESTP
Jacques Pepin: INFJ
Julia Child: INFJ
Justin Wilson: ESFJ
Alton brown: INTP
Mario batali: ENFJ
Nigel slater: Not sure
Thomas keller: Not sure
Charley trotter: Not sure
Morimoto: ESxP
Martin Yan: ESxP
Cat Cora: INTJ
Duff-The Ace of Cakes guy: INFP
Michael Chiarello: ISFP
Robert Irvine: ESTJ

Then you might prefer Sandra Lee - ESFJ
>>

Hi there,
INFJ/ToddHa here
I agree with most of this. But there are a couple I do not agree with. Mainly Gordon Ramsey. He is not ENTJ.
All of the ENTJs I know are HSP types (Highly Sensitive). Although ENTJs have weak/inferior Introverted Feeling (Fi).
They are quite sensitive to others though their strong Introverted Intuition. Which is why there are alot of ENTJ HSP
types. Also, ENTJs have Extroverted Sensing. Which is all about living in the moment and not caring about the past
or the future. In order to cook really WELL. You need Introverted Sensing somewhere in your main function order.
I'm not saying that you can NOT cook with Extroverted Sensing. But you are not likely to be a professional cook.

Gordon Ramsey as ESTJ instead of ENTJ...
All of the ESTJs I know are CRUEL, VICIOUS, COLD, CALIOUS types. Gordon Ramsey is cold, cruel, blunt, arrogant,
mean. Does not give a f### about you if you violate his rules/teachings.

Gordon Ramsey is NOT a HSP type. Which makes it likely he is NOT an ENTJ.
He is also a CHEF, and has very strong DOMINATE Introverted Sensing. As alot of cooks/chefs have Si. Alot of the
CHEFS/COOKS/JUDGES on Food Network have Introverted Sensing. As does CHEFs/COOKs on PBS's CreateTV channel.
Look at America's Test Kitchen & Primal Grill. Good examples of ISTJ (America's Test Kitchen) and ISFJ (Primal Grill).
Introverted Sensing is very tied to Food Tasters, Food Judgers (most judges in most fields), CHEFs, COOKs, etc.
Introverted Sensing likes to store DETAILS about things that were taken in with the SENSING function (5-senses).
Likes to store them away. And then use them sometime in the future to compare the present with the past.

I think Rachael Ray is indeed a Introverted Sensing type as most cooks/chefs are. But I do not think she is ESFP.
I lean towards possible ENFP. She is certainly Extroverted and I am sure she has Introverted Sensing. So either
ESFJ or ENFP. I do not think ENTP (which has Introverted Sensing too ). Its not impossible. But she is extroverted with
Introverted Sensing for sure, as most chefs, cooks & any judges (any career field).

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rachel Ray is an extraverted Sensing type (I would say cooking could be either introverted or extraverted Sensing), and while I used to say ESFP (Sanguine-Sanguine) for her, I came to realize she was a Choleric Sanguine, and a Thinking type.
She puts on a friendly "girly" persona, but she's really not like that in person. She grew up with an Erector Set, and is very bossy.

So ESTP makes perfect sense (Think Keirsey's "Promoters are men and women of action. When someone of this personality is present, things begin to happen: the lights come on, the music plays, the game begins."). Tertiary Fe, especially in a woman, will be very visible (hence, a lot of people say ESFJ). Cooking is a technical (impersonal) trade. In jr high or high school, cooking class is considered a "shop" just like metal, wood, machine or automotive shops. The fact that one leading cook, Alton Brown is INTP shows that Ti can come in handy for cooking. He gives more of "the science" of it, and since for her, it would be aux., plus she's an S, it won't come out that way (though she does give a little bit of that at times too). So with her, it's primarily the Se aspect of cooking.

toddha

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Rachel Ray is an extraverted Sensing type (I would say cooking could be either introverted or extraverted Sensing), and while I used to say ESFP (Sanguine-Sanguine) for her, I came to realize she was a Choleric Sanguine, and a Thinking type.
She puts on a friendly "girly" persona, but she's really not like that in person. She grew up with an Erector Set, and is very bossy.

So ESTP makes perfect sense (Think Keirsey's "Promoters are men and women of action. When someone of this personality is present, things begin to happen: the lights come on, the music plays, the game begins."). Tertiary Fe, especially in a woman, will be very visible (hence, a lot of people say ESFJ). Cooking is a technical (impersonal) trade. In jr high or high school, cooking class is considered a "shop" just like metal, wood, machine or automotive shops. The fact that one leading cook, Alton Brown is INTP shows that Ti can come in handy for cooking. He gives more of "the science" of it, and since for her, it would be aux., plus she's an S, it won't come out that way (though she does give a little bit of that at times too). So with her, it's primarily the Se aspect of cooking.

Hi Eric,
No disrespect. But I have to agree to disagree with you. Here's why:

All of the SJ types are called: The Guardians or the Traditionalists. They
believe in conforming to a system that is already in place and being apart
of that system. The cooks, chefs, judges on Food Network and on the
cooking shows of the PBS CreateTV network are mostly SJs. And being
any SJ type means having Si (Introverted Sensing). Introverted Sensor
types care about making sure what is in the present conforms to what
they remember from the past. Cooking is one of the traditional/guardian
ways to recreate something from the past into present.

The majority of the population is SJ type, with SP coming in second.
NF is 3rd with NT coming in dead last.

Traits of Introverted Sensing types (SJ types):

- Loves cooking amateur or professional (CHEF)
- Loves to watch sports on TV or in a stadium/arena (However, hates participating)
- Loves to compare past events taken in thru the 5-senses with what is current/present.
- Loves to accumulate flashy objects/possessions for showing off (sounds Se, but is actually Si-Te-Ne combo)
(SJ men like sporty/flashy cars that are usually older models vehicles to attract attention/mate)

There are other types that have Si, but its much weaker in those outside of the SJ temperment:

- INFP (Si is #3)
- ENFP (Si is #4)
- INTP (Si is #3)
- ENTP (Si is #4)

There are no Si types in the SP temperment. SPs are all Extroverted Sensor types. Extroverted
Sensing is very different (Se):

- Lives in the Moment (The Here -and- Now)
- Does NOT care about the past or the future.
- Lives in the great outdoors/everything outside
- Loves PARTICIPATING in sports/outdoor activities. (not caring about WATCHING sports)
- Likes to Gamble / Risk Taker / Takes Chances / Bends the Rules
- 'Rules are just Guidelines'
- Adventurous / Traveler
- Likes to be UP close and personal (In Your Face mentality)
- Can be Fearless
- Likes outdoor hobbies
- Likes exercising outdoors / bike rides / jogging-running / in the parks & trails

*OASN* One weird little quirk I have noticed with ESTJs. Maybe its just the ones I know.
They appear to have a Spontaneous side to them. A tiny little 'Living-In-The-Moment' in
them. I think I know where its coming from. I think its their Extroverted Intuition (Ne).
Even though ESTJs have Ne as their #3 function, which is weaker. I see it some of the time
in my ESTJ co-worker (Who is NOT a supervisor/manager, thank god). She is so mean,
vicious, calious, so Si dominate with NO nearly no feeling function. She can not improvise
on anything. Everything has to be done by-the-book, and in sequence. If you violate that,
watch out. She will: SNAP-YOU-OUT, per say. She gets under people's skin with her must
do everything according to the posted guidelines at all times, and you will not deviate. Or risk her
fury. This is why I am certain of Gordon Ramsey being ESTJ. Not ENTJ. I have an ENTJ boss.
He is a good manager at my workplace. He is HSP (Highly Sensitive Person). He is to the point,
cuts thru the chase, polite, soft spoken, understanding, willing to give to get. He is willing to bend
the rules if it will result in more productivity. ESTJs will NOT bend the rules or allow the rules to
be bent <period>. ESTJ's motto is: Conform to the System and get back to work.

The ESTJ I work with. She is a vicious B****. Gordon Ramsey is a cruel, vicious B******.

SJ types make the best homemakers, especially with the wife duties. Cooking. Cleaning.
etc. They do have their place in society and working under an established system. I think
it has everything to do with Si (Introverted Sensing). I think most female SJ types are the
ones with the stronger FEELING side: ISFJ & ESFJ. This is typical of what I see at home
and at work:

- I have (2) ISFJ sister-in-laws
- I have (1) ESFJ female co-worker
- I have (1) ESTJ female co-worker (She is so hated by many)
(I pray to god that my female ESTJ co-worker never becomes a supervisor/manager)

Most of the male SJs are the ISTJ & ESTJ. Which is why women constantly tell the
majority of men in our society: You men are JERKS!!!! SJs dominate society. And
men dominate in the SJ catagory. So, there you go.

I think Rachael Ray has Si. I personally think she is an ENFP rather than an ESFJ or
ENTP. The ENTPs I know are skinny little twigs (body frame is very small, very tiny,
very petite) with Si as the #4 function. My niece is an ENTP, she is the skinniest
little thing. Rachael Ray has a nice more rounded body frame. I will not lean
towards Si as the #4 weakest function in Rachael. So, she is not ENTP.

Cooking is very dominate in Rachael. I think like-wise, Si is DOMINATE in her which
would make her a Guardian/Traditionalist. A 'guardian' of the established system.
Traditional type homemaker. She is Extroverted. And she has that strong female
like quality of strong FEELING that seems extroverted too. So, I say ESFJ. As ESFJ
she does have Ne as #3, so she can be Spontaneous with the weaker Extroverted
Intuition just as my co-worker ESTJ shows. Ne can be spontaneous and
'Living-in-the-Moment'-Like.