• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cate Blanchett's type

R

RDF

She's very well-rounded, isn't she?

I clicked around on Youtube. Although she exhibits definite E in some of the older clips, I can't get a 'lock' on any of the dimentions.

That's the trouble with typing professional actors and politicians, especially the older and more experienced ones. External appearances are their livelihood, and they are very good at mirroring and picking up the appearances and mannerisms of others as needed. In some ways, they are the worst possible class of human beings to practice MBTI on.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
FineLine, once again thank you for your contribution. I don't really recognize CB as an INTJ (unlike Jodie Foster), but it doesn't seem like the female INFJs positively recognize her as one of theirs either. I think I'm going to have to tentatively conclude that CB's just too difficult to type. :doh:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJs don't tend to manifest that "fencing" attitude (IMO). They're more likely to try to use the opportunity to facilitate some kind of personal connection. I think of INTJs as the "fencers" when asked about personal or private matters.

Now I don't think I'm a cookie-cutter INFJ by any means, but did want to address this comment. I actually do quite a bit of 'fencing' with strangers, or anyone who is not a close friend. I don't enjoy talking about myself, and much prefer to hear about the other person.

I do agree about the personal connection piece..but for me, I try to get the other person to open up more, and then connect based off of what the other person says, and find common ground in that way. Yes, I'm able to talk about more personal matters, but I definitely 'deflect' initially.

Once I'm really comfortable with a person, I may open up quite a lot - but in an interview setting, I would totally be more guarded, and would only show certain aspects of myself, and would keep other pieces carefully hidden. A male INFJ coworker is much like this -- I never saw any of his emotional side until I got to know him quite well. I was actually surprised when he told me he tested INFJ - I had assumed he was a T because I never saw the emotional side. But since then, I've gotten to know him better, and we've realized we're a lot alike, and we are quite free in more of our emotional responses, and don't hold much back. Two other INFJ female friends that I have are equally guarded with strangers, and it's only with time that you discover the rich inner emotional world, and more openness in their personal experiences.

I haven't watched or read any of Cate Blanchett's interviews by the way..I just wanted to comment on this piece, and I don't think this 'fencing' thing is necessarily in opposition to INFJ.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
cascademn, thanks for chiming in!

I don't suppose there is some way I can persuade you to? :puppy_dog_eyes:

Ok, I just watched half of the clip of the Letterman show, and it was too painful to watch...I couldn't watch anymore!!!

I'm serious! She was SOOOO uncomfortable, everything about her body language and how/what she was saying demonstrated clearly to me that she did NOT like being there, and she was extremely uncomfortable. She was incredibly twitchy/self-conscious....I could totally see myself in her shoes.

I would never open up about hugely personal details, *especially* when I'm uncomfortable, and especially when I'm not feeling a connection with the person I'm speaking with -- she wasn't connecting with Letterman, so everything became rather forced...and it seemed to me she thought half of the stuff she was talking about with Letterman was totally silly -- well, there I'm projecting myself onto her. I'll stop now. :)

I wouldn't use that interview, and her responses, to point out that she's not an F. She reminds me very much of myself, and my two INFJ friends, if any of us would be on Letterman. Which we won't, hahaha. But I have a strong hunch we'd be just as 'detached'/impersonal/sticking to the surface things/uncomfortable as she was - but still trying to do the interview thing, and trying to put on a good face and *trying* to enjoy ourselves.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I see I and N clearly, but that's about it.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
In fact, after watching a few of her interviews, she strikes me as more of a 'T' than an 'F'. Compare her mannerisms, for instance, with a fairly clear INFJ like Feist. I think there is a big difference, though it's hard for me to explain it here. It's just a sense of warmth thing...I don't really get that much from Blanchett.

And I know that many INFJs are very reserved and can come off as 'cold', but in my perception (and from my experience) I'm always able to detect an underlying warmth. This probably isn't much of an argument, though...

In cases where there isn't a VERY clear preference, I find it almost impossible to determine T or F without resorting to these intuitive type impressions.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
In fact, after watching a few of her interviews, she strikes me as more of a 'T' than an 'F'. Compare her mannerisms, for instance, with a fairly clear INFJ like Feist. I think there is a big difference, though it's hard for me to explain it here. It's just a sense of warmth thing...I don't really get that much from Blanchett.

And I know that many INFJs are very reserved and can come off as 'cold', but in my perception (and from my experience) I'm always able to detect an underlying warmth.

I take your point. INTX.

I think INTP because would an INTJ not come across as more resolutely introverted than she does?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I take your point. INTX.

I think INTP because would an INTJ not come across as more resolutely introverted than she does?

Perhaps, though if you watch Jodie Foster (who most here type as INTJ), you see that she still comes across as very expressive (though definitely not very warm). I don't think actors can get away with the one-word answer tactic in interviews, regardless of what they'd prefer to do...I think it's a trade thing, as others have mentioned in this thread.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've heard ENTJ on other boards.....:cool:

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
She reminds me a lot of myself in the way she speaks. Like she's grasping at something that hangs right in front of her and that's entirely outside of the boundaries the conversation. Kind of clipped even sometimes.

Quite unlike Jodie Foster who I don't identify with that much at all...seems more P maybe...I see more Ne there than Ni...she goes with the conversation, Blanchett's much more serious, much more detached from the realm of conversation, sometimes monologuing to the air/her inner world and her sense of humour is much more INTJ than Jodie's.

MBTI Type
INxJ
INFJs don't tend to manifest that "fencing" attitude (IMO). They're more likely to try to use the opportunity to facilitate some kind of personal connection. I think of INTJs as the "fencers" when asked about personal or private matters.

INFJs can, but I find them to be awkward about it. While an INTJ seems to accomplish it more naturally.

I take your point. INTX.

It's part of her job to have a conversation with people. To promote herself as an actress, and her work.

I'm very closed off when it doesn't matter. However, when I know it would be strategically to my advantage to make more of an effort in a situation, I do. I've always thought INTJs to be similar.

She reminds me a lot of myself in the way she speaks. Like she's grasping at something that hangs right in front of her and that's entirely outside of the boundaries the conversation. Kind of clipped even sometimes.

Quite unlike Jodie Foster who I don't identify with that much at all...seems more P maybe...I see more Ne there than Ni...she goes with the conversation, Blanchett's much more serious, much more detached from the realm of conversation, sometimes monologuing to the air/her inner world and her sense of humour is much more INTJ than Jodie's.

Agreed

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It would seem INTJ is the verdict.
I agree.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I don't know. I just wanted to say that Cate Blanchett is hot.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think she is INFP.
(Without reading any other posts in this thread.)