• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pride and Prejudice Character Types

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
What types do you think the characters (from the movie especially) are? I'm unsure about most, though Mr. Darcy seems VERY INTJ. And is it just me, or is the movie more romantic, and the book funnier?

clairebear8

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
darcy is intj... elizabeth is enfp...jane is infp or isfp...mr bennett iis intp

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
What types do you think the characters (from the movie especially) are? I'm unsure about most, though Mr. Darcy seems VERY INTJ. And is it just me, or is the movie more romantic, and the book funnier?
I agree with you that the film seems more romantic and the book seems more funny.

Mr. Darcy has a lot of INTJ traits and ISTJ triats as well. For example that he never raised his voice at his servants, was never cross at them, and was benevolent to all his subjects seems more ISTJ to me. Also, his accepting responsibility for Wickham and his regular attendance to his business affairs including the writing of letters, all seems ISTJ to me.

The thing that seems most INTJ is his behavior at the dance hall, but I have an ISTJ brother-in-law who could use a few lessons in getting along with people, if you get my drift.

To tell the truth I think he's both. You can do that with a fictional character. ;)

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Mr. Bennett - INTP
Jane - INFP
Mrs. Bennett - ESFJ
Mr. Bingley - ISFP

This site argues that Darcy is an INTJ and Elizabeth an INFJ.

And to broaden the topic a little, I'm actually reading Emma at the moment. Anyone want to have a guess at those characters? Emma seems like an ExFJ to me.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Mr. Bennett - INTP
Jane - INFP
Mrs. Bennett - ESFJ
Mr. Bingley - ISFP

And to broaden the topic a little, I'm actually reading Emma at the moment. Anyone want to have a guess at those characters? Emma seems like an ExFJ to me.
Isn't Mrs. Bennett more ditsy than ESFJ? Isn't she more ESFP? She was just as excited as the girls that the "Officers!" were coming. And thinking about it, the way she made Jane catch a cold on purpose just to manipulate the situation so her daughter could catch a rich husband seems very ESTP-ish to me.

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
Mr. Bennett - INTP
Jane - INFP
Mrs. Bennett - ESFJ
Mr. Bingley - ISFP

This essay actually makes more sense than seeing Elizabeth as a Thinking type. I read Keirsey and kept trying to place her among the NTs and failed. Darcy is decidedly INTJ, and Mr. Bennet such a classic INTP I could almost see him with an Einstein hairdo.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Mr. Bennett - INTP
Jane - INFP
Mrs. Bennett - ESFJ
Mr. Bingley - ISFP

That was a great article obviously written by someone who has good command of the subject.
I guess I will have to concede that Darcy is an INTJ.

Sorry, I haven't read Emma recently enough.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pride and Prejudice

What do you think about the characters in Pride and Prejudice? :) Forgive me if there has already been a thread about this topic, but I haven't found one.

Pretty sure that Elizabeth is ENFP and Mr. Darcy is either INFJ or INTJ....leaning towards INFJ....

The younger two sisters are SP I think. As well as the other rich gentleman, Bingley.

Mary is probably either SJ or NT...

The father is an SJ of some kind, I think. The mother as well....ESFJ I think....

What do you think?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think Darcy is a T. I can't imagine him being so blunt during his proposal if he was not.
I think he has INTJ and ISTJ qualities.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Mr. Darcy is INTJ. Elizabeth is INFJ in the book, but was played as an ENFP in the recent movie.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Any guesses on the oldest sister Jane Bennett's type? She's the only one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
“I do not have the talent of conversing easily with people I have never met before” ~Darcy

INTJ to the core :yes:

*swoon*

WaveFlipper

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5W6
Darcy Not Intuitive

Why is it automatically assumed that Darcy is intuitive? I see this at every MBTI site but he is anything but that. If intuition can be defined as the ability to recognize patterns and possibilities without the need for readily apparent facts and details, then Darcy fails miserably as an intuitive type. While everyone in the book can see that Jane is in love with Bingley, he needs a smack upside the head from Elizabeth to see it. Nor can he even intuit his own love for Elizabeth. When she asks him how he can account for his love of her he replies, "I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.”

Intuitives see foundation principles long before supporting facts, yet here he admits that only after a long succession of events could he see his feelings. No Eureka moment. And as great as the book is Jane Austen does not ever really develop Darcy's interests. He manages his affairs, avoids dancing, and rides his horse quite a bit.

So where is the evidence of intuition?

michL87

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Darcy: INTJ or ISTJ. WaveFlipper makes a good point about Darcy... I'm leaning more toward ISTJ because of that, even though my initial reaction was INTJ.

Lizzy: ENFP in both movie and book. I don't think she's an I, even though she enjoys time by herself. She reacts and makes decisions very quickly; she doesn't take time to ponder them like an I would.

Jane: INFP.

Mr. Bingley: ESFP. He's definitely a sensor (this becomes more obvious in the book.) Lydia is also ESFP, along with the other sister she's always with (her name is slipping my mind at the moment.)

Mrs. Bennet: ESFJ.

Mr. Bennett: INTP.

Kitty: ISFJ? Maybe.

Miss Bennet (Bingley's sister): ENTJ.

Ever since getting into MBTI, I can no longer read a book or watch a movie without typing everyone in my mind.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Ever since getting into MBTI, I can no longer read a book or watch a movie without typing everyone in my mind.

Same, although getting my English degree makes me critically analyse whatever books or movies/TV I come across anyway.

michL87

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Same, although getting my English degree makes me critically analyse whatever books or movies/TV I come across anyway.

I'm an English Major, too :)
I'm always looking for foreshadowing, symbolism, etc. when I watch something. One time I pointed out a symbol from a movie to my family and they thought I was crazy --- they just don't know to analyze everything!

Anyway, back on topic, I'm mid-way through re-reading Pride and Prejudice (I read it when I was much younger, but don't remember much now except for what I saw in the movie), and right now I'm thinking Lizzy might be more "S" than "N," although I'll try giving my opinion after finishing the book :)

I could see her as ESFP. We'll see.

Edit: What type do you all think Mr. Collins is??? ESTJ? (A really socially awkward one...)

Last edited: