Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    16?

There is 16 in the INFJ category alone.
    How is is bias? You'll find a lot of ESTJ politicians and beaureaucrats and very few INFPs. You'll find a lot of ESFP pop singers, not so many INTJs. Why can't you accept the common fact that some types are more skilled in certain areas than others? Also, if you really want to correct the situation, find some writers who are S types, makes avalid arguement for their inclusion, find soemone to agree with you, and I'll add them. Until then, put up, or shut up.
    4w5 sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    How is is bias? You'll find a lot of ESTJ politicians and beaureaucrats and very few INFPs. You'll find a lot of ESFP pop singers, not so many INTJs. Why can't you accept the common fact that some types are more skilled in certain areas than others? Also, if you really want to correct the situation, find some writers who are S types, makes avalid arguement for their inclusion, find soemone to agree with you, and I'll add them. Until then, put up, or shut up.
    I just see a lot of N-bias around here.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm confused as to why Ss are more inclined to visual arts than Ns. Plenty of visual art is abstract.

And I think Tolkien was more likely to be an S than Rowling is.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'm confused as to why Ss are more inclined to visual arts than Ns. Plenty of visual art is abstract.

And I think Tolkien was more likely to be an S than Rowling is.
    Sensors can do abstract, some are even drawn to it.

Pretty sure Tolkien was an N.

He invented languages and a whole mythology before he began to write LOTR.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

He invented languages and a whole mythology before he began to write LOTR.
    Yeah, that's true. I was more at the angle of his writing style, which seems to emphasize detailed descriptions of concrete objects. Tertiary development, perhaps, that is if we are going to agree that he was an INxP.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Yeah, that's true. I was more at the angle of his writing style, which seems to emphasize detailed descriptions of concrete objects. Tertiary development, perhaps.
    Most good fiction writers do that though. Either naturally, or they learn to do it.

Many badly written sci-fi novels by NTs suffer this flaw: too concerned with their neat ideas to flesh out the details and characters that get people invested in the story.

Good Ns will have detail, and subtly link them to something larger (symbolism is a good example, like repeated references to a color). From the other side good Sensor writers learn to have themes in their longer works.

MBTI
    ENTP

By definition N is more imaginative and S more practical, so it follows that fiction writers are more likely to have an N preference. But nothing is strictly the domain of one type or preference.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

James Herriott is some sort of S (haven't read his stuff for a long time, so can't recall what he is beyond the S. His writings were in more short-story format, many autobiographical related to his job as a traveling veterinarian in the U.K. Other animal-related books too.)

And I recall someone writing in another thread a long time ago that Robert Jordan is possibly an ISTJ. (I've read his books...could agree on the S...**extremely** detailed and interwoven plot(s). I don't know how he kept track of everything. The plots just kept expanding exponentially, haha).
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    And I recall someone writing in another thread a long time ago that Robert Jordan is possibly an ISTJ. (I've read his books...could agree on the S...**extremely** detailed and interwoven plot(s)).

Interesting, though I'd say INTJ is more likely. I could never get into Jordan.

Most writers and other kinds of artists are people who are good at focusing on both the whole and the parts, the forest and the trees. A fiction writer is more likely to be an N with good use of the S functions in service of the big picture/story, if not elsewhere in life.
    Last edited by mysterio; 01-29-2009 at 03:44 PM.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

How'd you type Homer? Do you look at interviews to type these authors? Written/taped interviews? Personal writings? Biographies?

A few guesses:
    Mike Gayle: ESfj
    Diana Wynne Jones: ENtP (Interestingly her protagonists are often IsFJs.)
    Margeret Peterson Haddix: ESTX