• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Little_Sticks

I saw this a long time ago, but I remember it well so...

Please note that an MBTI ISFP is considered to have Fi+Se functions. But these definitions are different from Jungs and less coherent. The MBTI dichotomies line up with different Jungian functions. So an ISFP to me is Si+Fe. If MBTI wants to create a new theory, it should use different names for the functions then. It's highly annoying and very idiotic to contradict the source they were taken from.

for instance, going by MBTI definitions, people will tell you that an INTJ with Ni-Te is a judger because of the second function. BUT, the first function is the strongest part of the ego and it colors everything else. They are a perceiver first. It's bullshit logic to justify nonsense that was already wrong to begin with.
anyway...

I figure
Asuka - Se(Fi) or Fe(Si)

Shinji - at least an introvert. non-judgmental/perceiver, so that leaves Ni and Si. Whether you say Si-Fe (ISFP) or Si-Te (ISTP) I guess will depend on what you want to then assume. Some people only have a first function. Dom-Tert loops are sometimes used to justify these differences, but they are way too nuanced. dom-tert loops are an interesting idea, but it's not at all empirical and extremely vague.

Gendo - introvert. judgmental, so that leaves Ti and Fi. Fi is not him at all. Ti fits well. Either INTJ or ISTJ.

Rei - hmmm...she was kind of unreal. Didn't have a thought about anything and just did what Gendo wanted, mostly. The way she thinks is kind of empty. I guess that was the point since she wasn't supposed to be human. There's really not much to go on as far as personality.

Kaworu - some kind of extrovert. Either Se or Ne, Fe and Te doesn't make much sense. Fi as the second function seems to make much more sense than Ti.

Pen-Pen - GOD

I don't remember any of the other characters. I guess there was the lady that liked to sleep around or something and the scientist lady who was probably an actual Fi type. But I don't really remember that much.

Does this resonant with what you thought?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pen-Pen - GOD

Haha. :D

Does this resonant with what you thought?
I don't know. Personally I have always seen Shinji as INxx, and it's going to be difficult to convince me otherwise. He just seems to detached and distant when it comes to most things for me to agree with S. There are certain things that just don't sit right with me. Calling Asuka an I or Rei an E are other such things.

(I have actually seen Rei typed as E... I mean, what?)

Little_Sticks

You guys do know that being an angry/bipolar/PTSD enneagram eight, doesn't have anything to do with utilizing thinking functions over feeling functions, right?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You guys do know that being an angry/bipolar/PTSD enneagram eight, doesn't have anything to do with utilizing thinking functions over feeling functions, right?
We are talking about a show that is basically the DSM-IV in a blender. There is a reason I haven't been debating T vs F, and have been sticking to the other three. :D

Little_Sticks

I don't know. Personally I have always seen Shinji as INxx, and it's going to be difficult to convince me otherwise. He just seems to detached and distant when it comes to most things for me to agree with S. There are certain things that just don't sit right with me. Calling Asuka an I or Rei an E are other such things.

Well,
INxx implies either Fi-Ne, Ni-Fe, Ti-Ne, or Ni-Te. How are you defining the functions? Despite the rhetoric often used here, reason aims to persuade; it needs no convincing. At least if we provide definitions, we can be much more persuasive about this. I would never want to convince anyone if it means not being persuasive.

These are mine:

4 types (*All types can be ethically inclined)
NT - Conceptual Logos
NF - Conceptual Pathos
ST - Pragmatic Logos
SF - Pragmatic Pathos
Logos -> Philosophical Logic
Pathos -> Philosophical Communication

introversion/extroversion
extroversion -> evolutionary - actions are intentionally made that have an equal and opposite reaction that causes it to both 'impart' an affect on the external world and at the same time 'take in' new information of that affect.

introversion -> involution - to be without action and thus without incurring any intentional equal and opposite reaction on the world; instead it synthesizes the affects of the world.

*I say "intentional" because technically we affect things whether we choose to or not.

8 functions (preceding from the definitions above)
Te (external director/manager) - creates and deals with the interaction of the parts of the world through a filter of philosophical Logos
Ti (impersonal internal judge) - aims to assess an accurate and overall judgment on the interaction of the parts of the world through a filter of philosophical Logos
Fe (external influence) - creates and deals with the interaction of the parts of the world through a filter of philosophical Pathos
Fi (personal internal judge) - aims to assess an accurate and overall judgment on the interaction of the parts of the world through a filter of philosophical Pathos

Ne (external inventing) - creates and deals with the interaction of the world through a filter of concepts
Ni (internal inventing) - aims to assess an accurate and overall understanding of the interaction of the parts of the world through a filter of concepts
Se (external resonance) - creates and deals with the interaction of the world through a filter of pragmatics
Si (internal resonance) - aims to assess an accurate and overall understanding of the interaction of the parts of the world through a filter of pragmatics

Unconscious Functions to the Eight (Inferior)
I consider this to be described as above, but that its use has to be stimulated or provoked.

Creative Function + Tertiary
Then you can add this too, I guess. But I don't know if it makes sense to say that the tertiary is unconscious. I classify it as conscious with the creative.

Little_Sticks

We are talking about a show that is basically the DSM-IV in a blender. There is a reason I haven't been debating T vs F, and have been sticking to the other three. :D

That's true. :D
But I think with proper definitions, even if it still feels like categorizing, which is what we're inevitably going to do anyway, no matter how we slice it, it should help elucidate something about that person's motivations/psyche. you know? Or else what is the point of any of this?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well,
INxx implies either Fi-Ne, Ni-Fe, Ti-Ne, or Ni-Te. How are you defining the functions? Despite the rhetoric often used here, reason aims to persuade; it needs no convincing. At least if we provide definitions, we can be much more persuasive about this. I would never want to convince anyone if it means not being persuasive.

These are mine:

4 types (*All types can be ethically inclined)
NT - Conceptual Logos
NF - Conceptual Pathos
ST - Pragmatic Logos
SF - Pragmatic Pathos
Logos -> Philosophical Logic
Pathos -> Philosophical Communication

introversion/extroversion
extroversion -> evolutionary - actions are intentionally made that have an equal and opposite reaction that causes it to both 'impart' an affect on the external world and at the same time 'take in' new information of that affect.

introversion -> involution - to be without action and thus without incurring any intentional equal and opposite reaction on the world; instead it synthesizes the affects of the world.

*I say "intentional" because technically we affect things whether we choose to or not.

8 functions (preceding from the definitions above)
Te (external director/manager) - creates and deals with the interaction of the parts of the world through a filter of philosophical Logos
Ti (impersonal internal judge) - aims to assess an accurate and overall judgment on the interaction of the parts of the world through a filter of philosophical Logos
Fe (external influence) - creates and deals with the interaction of the parts of the world through a filter of philosophical Pathos
Fi (personal internal judge) - aims to assess an accurate and overall judgment on the interaction of the parts of the world through a filter of philosophical Pathos

Ne (external inventing) - creates and deals with the interaction of the world through a filter of concepts
Ni (internal inventing) - aims to assess an accurate and overall understanding of the interaction of the parts of the world through a filter of concepts
Se (external resonance) - creates and deals with the interaction of the world through a filter of pragmatics
Si (internal resonance) - aims to assess an accurate and overall understanding of the interaction of the parts of the world through a filter of pragmatics

Unconscious Functions to the Eight (Inferior)
I consider this to be described as above, but that its use has to be stimulated or provoked.

Creative Function + Tertiary
Then you can add this too, I guess. But I don't know if it makes sense to say that the tertiary is unconscious. I classify it as conscious with the creative.

You lost me. :D Like I have said in the past, I am horrible at typing people. INxx (To be more specific INFP) is just the vibe I get from Shinji. I can't explain why I think that. Heck, I could be wrong, I admit that. I can't even settle on my own type (Odds are I'm going to change my listing to Ixxx in the future). The problem is that if I believe that he's an INxx I'm probably going to argue that until I convince myself otherwise... :shrug:

Little_Sticks

There has to be a point? I don't know, maybe just seeing how characters are perceived by the people who view the show.

Well, I thought the point was to understand them better. Seeing how other people view them would help that aim, I would think, but maybe you have something else in mind. It just seems annoying when people make shallow claims to types; and then they try to back that up with shotty logic that tries to fill in the holes. Like people typing Asuka ESTJ and not even supplying any kind of rhyme or reason, especially after you just threw the idea out lackadaisically. Forer Effect is the first thing that comes to mind.

And then some people have some ulterior motivation to use this to dominate other people; I get the impression they are more concerned about categorizing everyone and being right than they are at understanding them. I'm a strong believer in that once a person judges another, they stop trying to understand them. But anyway...

You lost me. :D Like I have said in the past, I am horrible at typing people. INxx (To be more specific INFP) is just the vibe I get from Shinji. I can't explain why I think that. Heck, I could be wrong, I admit that. I can't even settle on my own type (Odds are I'm going to change my listing to Ixxx in the future). The problem is that if I believe that he's an INxx I'm probably going to argue that until I convince myself otherwise... :shrug:

Thank Gods. Even though you can't supply any reasoning, I appreciate your honesty; that you're so open about this, means you're not another lemming. :) Sorry, I'll stop being an annoying insect now.

Burger King

Not sure about the 4 letters. She has got to be an enneagram 3 though. She does things a text book low health level 3 does. She also suffers a breakdown much like the description of how 3s disintegrate to negative 9 traits when stressed (apathetic and losing the will to fight).

Some references:
http://www.nervarchives.com/characters.asuka.php

Proffesor Crackpot

MBTI Type
~NTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Shinji is definitely INFP 6w5 SP/SO
Rei is ISTJ
and Gendo Ikari is INTJ

I'm still working out everyone else.

SodaDrops

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
God this thread is old but heck, let's give it a try:
Shinji Ikari: IxFP (definitely looping the entire series) 649
Asuka Langley Soryu: ESxP (also looping) 3w4
Rei Ayanami: ISFJ (I honestly do believe everyone in this series was looping)

Ritsuko Akagi: ISTJ
Misato Katsuragi: ExFP
Gendo Ikari: INTJ
Ryoji Kaji: ESTP

erg

MBTI Type
None
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI, enneagram and socionics included.

Shinji - INFP -- SLI-Te -- 6w5 sp/so
Asuka - ENTJ -- SLE-Se -- 3w4 sx/sp
Rei - ISFJ -- ESI-Fi -- 5w4 sp/sx
Misato - ENFP -- IEE-Ne -- 7w8 sx/so
Ritsuko - INTJ -- SLE-Ti -- 1w2 sp/sx
Kaji - ENTP -- ILE-Ti -- 7w6 so/sp
Gendo - INTJ -- LSI-Ti -- 5w6 sx/so
Fuyutsuki - INFJ -- ESE-Fe -- 2w1 sx/so
Kaworu - INTP -- LIE-Ni -- 2w3 so/sx
Toji Suzuhara - ESTJ -- LSE-Te -- 1w9 sp/so
Kensuke Aida - ENFP -- EII-Ne -- 6w7 so/sx

ChrisDiasCalado

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3W4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Shinji : INFP without a doubt ( Originally I thought he was ISFJ since he was so expressive it turns out he's a really weird INFP you can see his excessive use of FI and Si)

Misato Katsuragi : ENFP ( You can see her excessive use of Ne through the series, she thinks outside the box and really isn't practical like an esfp would be, also she seems stuck on her past with her father which indicates Si usage )

Rei : ISTJ ( Rei is a pretty much like a perfect solider who obeys almost every order and she's not very emotional in anyway. )

Asuka Langley Soryu : ENTJ * Very unhealthy ( Asuka is so Te it's crazy , she wants to be the best and takes charge in everything she does, she's highly organized, an overachiever and when she doesn't have the control she wants or fails she resorts to her Fi and has outbursts of emotions )

Gendo : INTJ : ( He is an INTJ stereotype, he strives for what seems to be the betterment of humanity and shows very little emotion, unless something big happens )

Ryoji Kaji : ENTP ( He seems to be an idealist who also wants to make the future a better place, it also makes sense why him and Misato would have a great past relationship ENTP + ENFP are good matches but can result in a hard fallout )

Ritsuko : ISTJ ( This seems to fit the best for her type she's constantly reflecting on what her mom has told her and done, I find it interesting how her and Misato are such great friends considering they are opposites and you can see it )

ChrisDiasCalado

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3W4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
erg

Out of everyone here you said it the best!

Last edited:

SalemAlchemist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Shinji: ISFJ
Asuka: ESFP
Misato: ENTP
Ritsuko: ISTJ
-----
Gendo: ENTJ
Rei: ISTJ
Yui: ENFJ
-----
SEELE: INTJ
Kaji: ENFP
Kaworu: INFJ
-----
EVA UNIT 00: ESTJ
EVA UNIT 01: ESFJ
EVA UNIT 02: ISFP
-----
Adam: INFJ
Lilith: ISTJ
^Those were obvious enough. Now...
Sachiel: E*T*
Ramiel: INFJ
Sahaquiel: ES*P
Leliel: INTP
Bardiel: INTJ
Zeruel: EST*
Twelfth Angel: *NTJ
^If you were to ask me about above seven and why I think so, they just feel that way.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
NGE TV Series:
Jung Type | Tritype | FFM

Primary Characters:
Asuka Langley Sohryu: ESFP | 386cp sx/sp | SLOEN
Shinji Ikari: ISFJ | 6p94 sp/sx | RLUAN
Rei Ayanami (Rei II): ISTJ | 154 ??/?? | RCOEI
Rei Ayanami (Rei III): INFJ | 512 sx/so | RCOAI

Secondary Characters:
Gendo Ikari: INTJ | 86cp4 sx/sp | RCOEI
Kaworu Nagisa: INFJ | 215 sx/so | RCOAI
Misato Katsuragi: ENFP | 729 so/sx | SLUAI
Ritsuko Akagi: ISTJ | 153 sp/so | RCOEI
Ryoji Kaji: ENTP | 549 sx/sp | SLUEI
Toji Suzuhara: ESTP | 6cp29 so/sx | SLUEN

Supporting Characters:
Hikari Horaki: ESFJ | 126 so/sp | SCOAN
Kensuke Aida: ISTP | 738 sx/sp |RCUEI
Kozo Fuyutsuki: ISTJ | 549 sp/so | RCUAI
Makoto Hyuga: ISTP?
Maya Ibuki: ISFJ?
Shigeru Aoba: ISFP?
Yui Ikari: xNFJ?

Last edited:

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Shinji - ISFJ 6w5-9w1-? sp (or I could see INFP with a severe case of FiSi loop)
Rei - hard to type because she (at least initially) has no sense of self. Maybe an undeveloped 9w1 ISTJ who gradually gets in touch with her Fi.
Asuka - definitely an extrovert and a Fi & Te user. ESFP with strong tertiary Te seems more likely than ExTJ. 3w4-8w7-6w7 sx/so
Misato - ESFP 7w8-2w3-8w9 so/sx
Gendo Ikari - INTJ 8w9-5w6-3w4 sp/sx
Ritsuko Akagi - ISTJ 6w5-1w9?-3w4?
Kaji - ENxP for sure, with a good T/F balance. Leaning towards Ti/Fe for him, especially when I compare him to extroverted Fi/Te users like Misato. ENTP 7 sx/sp?
Kaworu - INFJ, some variation of 259 tritype, sx-dom
Toji - ESTP
Hikari - seems xSFJ. I don't remember her character that well.
Yui Ikari - INFJ. 1/9 with 2w1 fix is my guess, but she remains pretty mysterious the whole series.

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Misato: ENFP 7w? so/sx
Kaji: ENTP 7w6 so/sp

And that's all I care about lol.

[MENTION=29951]erg[/MENTION] and [MENTION=31279]ChrisDiasCalado[/MENTION] are the only ones who have the most accurate typings for all characters lol.