• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What do you think the types of Neon Genesis Evangelion characters are?

I'll list my own guesses below, but try not to influence anyone else's choices.

Misato: ENTP
Shinji: IxFJ
Asuka: ENTJ
Rei: ISTJ
Ritsuko: ESTJ
Gendo: INTx

Last edited by a moderator:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, you know what they say about typing this show...where most assume that the main characters are pretty unstable. But anyway, this is an old favorite of mine.

Rei = I_TJ
Asuka = ESTP? This one's tough.
Shinji = INFJ This one seems most sure.

Ritsuko = ISTJ Hadn't thought of that before, hmm.
Kaji = ENTP
Gendo = I__J I would really like to know his type.

And I guess it would make sense to have a lot of female Ts on this show, because when put alongside Shinji's (male) F, it looks "like the women are 'more of a man' than he is", as people often say.

Last edited:

Negative_

main character infj
his^ dad entj i think
ayanami istj
german girl extp

dont remember any other characters, been a while since ive seen it
going to watch it again soon probably, never did get around to watching the movies.
:)unsure:)

LavaLucy

MBTI Type
infj
I never thought of Shinji as INFJ, maybe because I am one. I like Shinji though, I get sad when so many people give him hate. And he's the director's alter ego and I would think Anno's T?? maybe INTJ.
Okay here's my guesses:

Shinji: INTP
Asuka: ESFJ or ESTJ
Ritsuko: ISTJ .. what about her mum?
Misato: ESFP
Gendo: POO or I_TJ
Rei: So don't know, she is minus one soul is that right? That has to play a part. My INFP friend relates to her.
I agree with Kaji being ENTP
What about Kaworu? Super human.

Harder than I thought. I love the characters.

nasmoe

MBTI Type
IXFP
Enneagram
Misato: ESFP
Shinji: INFP or J
Asuka: ENTJ
Rei: ISTJ
Ritsuko: ISTJ
Gendo: INTJ

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I basically agree, though I doubt Asuka would be an NT (EsFJ perhaps) - and Rei has no soul, therefore I don't think she can be properly typed.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
A soul has nothing to do with the way something physical, the brain, thinks. So Rei has a type. However, fictional characters behave more to a script and how the author tells them to act. So I'll type based on behavior.

Gendou - INTJ
Shinji - INXP (too unstable to be either an F or a T)
Asuka - ESFJ (possible ENFJ)
Rei - ISTJ
Rei's Angel Form - ISFJ
Misato - ENFP
Unit 01 - ISTJ
Unit 01 Berserker - ESTJ
Ritsuko - INFJ

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A soul has nothing to do with the way something physical, the brain, thinks.

I disagree. Let's not engage in a debate of whatever a 'soul' might be (a biochemical phenomenon or something else), but Rei is something like a 'computer' uploaded in a living shell, thus I don't think she has a personality.

You may have right in Misato being an 'N' though...

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does anyone know the MBTI types of the characters in NGE?
Especially Asuka Langley Soryu.
I'm trying to figure something out, and knowing this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anyone know the MBTI types of the characters in NGE?
Especially Asuka Langley Soryu.
I'm trying to figure something out, and knowing this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

"Giraffes are tall. I am also tall. Therefore, I am a giraffe. - Deductive reasoning at work."

That's not even a syllogism. A false one would read "All giraffes are tall. I am tall; therefore, I am a giraffe." An example of a true deductive syllogism is, "All giraffes are tall. I am a giraffe; therefore, I am tall." At least it is figuratively correct, albeit not factually (I am not a giraffe).

Asuka Langley Soryu - ENFP I guess.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Giraffes are tall. I am also tall. Therefore, I am a giraffe. - Deductive reasoning at work."

That's not even a syllogism. A false one would read "All giraffes are tall. I am tall; therefore, I am a giraffe." An example of a true deductive syllogism is, "All giraffes are tall. I am a giraffe; therefore, I am tall." At least it is figuratively correct, albeit not factually (I am not a giraffe).

Asuka Langley Soryu - ENFP I guess.

Wow, you take my sig waaaay too seriously, I know it's not correct, its just a joke, the thought made me chuckle so I put it there.

Anyways, thank you for the reply. :)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow, you take my sig waaaay too seriously, I know it's not correct, its just a joke.

However thank you for the reply. :)

I take logic seriously. But the anime character, not so much. I made an effort at typing her. Not a great effort, however.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I take logic seriously. But the anime character, not so much. I made an effort at typing her. Not a great effort, however.

Well I hope your type was accurate truthfully, because if she is an ENFP a lot of things will click for me so to speak...

And I'm sorry for poking fun at logic, would you like me to remove that from my sig? :unsure:

Edit: Actually, for more than one reason I'm starting to think she is ESTJ...

Last edited:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well I hope your type was accurate truthfully, because if she is an ENFP a lot of things will click for me so to speak...

And I'm sorry for poking fun at logic, would you like me to remove that from my sig? :unsure:

It's not against the FAQ, so no. I wouldn't make any demands of your sig. I'm sure lots of people would like me to change my avatar.

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Just watched the movies on Funimation and I have to say, I really enjoy the show! I still despise the anime mannerisms, but overall I really love the emotional component of the show. Here's my guesses:

Shinji - ISFJ 6w5 sp/sx
Asuka - ISTJ 3w4 sp/sx (Not sure about the show, but in the Rebuild movies, she's very detached and withdrawn from others)
Rei - ISxJ 5w4 sp/sx (She's just so... empty...)
Mari - xNTJ (New character and probably my favorite. Very hard to pin down, though she seems much smarter than she appears)
Misato - ENTP 7w8 sx/sp
Ritsuko - INTJ 1w2 sx/sp
Kaji - ENTJ 7w6 sx/so
Gendo - INTJ 5w6 sx/so
Fuyutsuki - INFJ 9w1 sx/so

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just watched the movies on Funimation and I have to say, I really enjoy the show! I still despise the anime mannerisms, but overall I really love the emotional component of the show. Here's my guesses:

Shinji - ISFJ 6w5 sp/sx
Asuka - ISTJ 3w4 sp/sx (Not sure about the show, but in the Rebuild movies, she's very detached and withdrawn from others)
Rei - ISxJ 5w4 sp/sx (She's just so... empty...)
Mari - xNTJ (New character and probably my favorite. Very hard to pin down, though she seems much smarter than she appears)
Misato - ENTP 7w8 sx/sp
Ritsuko - INTJ 1w2 sx/sp
Kaji - ENTJ 7w6 sx/so
Gendo - INTJ 5w6 sx/so
Fuyutsuki - INFJ 9w1 sx/so

I'm not exactly pro at typing, but I have some problems with your types for Shinji and Asuka.

I simply don't see Shinji as a J or an S or Asuka as an I, but then again, I read the manga and I'm not sure about how their personalities differ between that and the anime. :shrug:

Most of the rest I would agree on, except a few which are debatable, but more because they never really make their preferences clear than problems with your typing.

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm not exactly pro at typing, but I have some problems with your types for Shinji and Asuka.

I simply don't see Shinji as a J or an S or Asuka as an I, but then again, I read the manga and I'm not sure about how their personalities differ between that and the anime. :shrug:

Most of the rest I would agree on, except a few which are debatable, but more because they never really make their preferences clear than problems with your typing.

The reason why I placed Shinji as a J was because he follows orders quite easily. Not only that, but after moving in with Misato, he pretty much brought order to her house, though that might be because of his 6-ish tendencies. I also said S for Shinji because he seems to be in the moment of things rather than in a fantasy land. He's also much more grounded than N's and very unassuming. TBH, though, I was kinda stuck between ISFP and ISFJ for him because his Fi is much more developed than his Fe. And for Asuka, like I said, I'm not sure about the show or the manga, but in the Rebuild movies she's very introverted and prefers to be off by herself, even stating so as she had a heart to heart talk with Misato.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The reason why I placed Shinji as a J was because he follows orders quite easily. Not only that, but after moving in with Misato, he pretty much brought order to her house, though that might be because of his 6-ish tendencies. I also said S for Shinji because he seems to be in the moment of things rather than in a fantasy land. He's also much more grounded than N's and very unassuming. TBH, though, I was kinda stuck between ISFP and ISFJ for him because his Fi is much more developed than his Fe. And for Asuka, like I said, I'm not sure about the show or the manga, but in the Rebuild movies she's very introverted and prefers to be off by herself, even stating so as she had a heart to heart talk with Misato.

Huh, I always see Shinji as very detatched, and aloof, which I tend to attribute to Ns, and I never knew the ability to follow orders was a J trait. Not to mention he didn't really seem to have much of a choice when it came to bringing order to Misato's house :D. Though to be honest I'm probably not the best person to be typing Shinji as I kind of identify with him, so I may just be projecting. :shrug:

One of the big problems with typing NGE/Eva is that it's a whole franchise not just a single show, so the personalities of the characters will differ a little between the anime and the manga. Not to mention the fact that you have the original, Rebuild, The Shinji Ikari Raising Project, Campus Apocalypse, etc. :D

Last edited:

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Huh, I always see Shinji as very detatched, and aloof, which I tend to attribute to Ns. Though to be honest I'm probably not the best person to be typing Shinji as I kind of identify with him, so I may just be projecting. :shrug:

Who knows? You may be right. I can kinda see how you could think N since Shinji has traits very similar to those of INFPs. All I know for a fact is that he's definitely IxFx, but I got more of an ISFJ feel from him in the movie.

One of the big problems with typing NGE is that it's a whole franchise not just a single show, so the personalities of the characters will differ between the anime and the manga. Not to mention the fact that you have the original, Rebuild, The Shinji Ikari raising project, Campus Apocalypse, Angelic Days, etc. :D

I agree. I've seen a bit of the original show and I remember Asuka being much more extroverted, for example and according to my brothers, Rei is more "human" in Rebuild than she was in other series which, of course, changes their type. Still, one thing the show does well is that in each reimagining of the characters, they still retain their core personality traits that define them which we can pin down and should probably use as a basis to typing them.

Moonflower

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Shinji - I_FP
Asuka - ESTJ

I've yet to watch much of Rebuild, but that's the impression I always got from the original TV series.