• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Barack & Michelle Obama's Type

What type is Obama

• ENFJ

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • ENFP

• ENTP

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • INFJ

• INTJ

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INTP

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • ESFJ

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • ESFP

• ESTP

• ISFJ

• ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISTP

• Total voters

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram
Let's see...

Politics - No

History - No

Current Events - No

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I no longer am SURE President Obama is ISFP (I admit that sounded far fetched, though I feel I had my good reasons).

He is such an obvious "S"!

Anyone have any thoughts about why he wouldn't be an "S"?

I know there are/were numerous other pre-election threads about candidate types, and this thread may be better merged with them, but when the two forums that this could reasonably go in are political and pop culture, neither seem quite right... anyway...

I've always found him a bit of a puzzle for trying to type. One moment/speech he may seem one thing and in another something else.
My observations...

I have a strong gut feeling that Fe is somewhere in his top 3 functions but thats the only real impression I have and his working his way up in politics as a community organizer I think supports the theory of him having a natural inclination toward Fe of some kind.

His decision to "look forward not backward" is a questionable one (IMO) and to me it shows a lack of Fi. He was a constitutional scholar and he has talked about valuing the rule of law, but when it comes to backing it up with legal action he chooses to make decisions for more practical/pragmatic political reasons. He is essentially making a decision to sacrifice a value to not upset more people than he has to, which could either be Fe or an intellectual political calculation. Its possible he could be Fi and rule of law is not a value of his, but that would mean he lied about that being something he valued which would also discredit any theory of him being Fi dominant (lack of authenticity).

I don't see much grand vision (Ni) in him (his ideas seem to be more the result of lots of thinking and analysis rather than visionary ideas). It could be a secondary, tertiary or aspirational trait, but I think some type with Ne makes more sense.

He does seem to respect the knowledge and opinion of experts and is also willing to consider "any good ideas" from "any sources", so he is open minded and wants to gather as many possible solutions and ideas as possible to analyze and choose from. I could be mis-characterizing this, but it seems like an Ne/Ti/Si combination for how he approaches problems.

That combined with my previous option of perceiving strong Fe in him leads me to believe that whatever he is has some combination of

Fe, Ne, Ti and Si. There are both N and S types that could fit that, but I won't make a guess as to his actual type beyond saying I'm fairly sure hes not an INFP and also have strong doubts about him being an INFJ as well. :)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't necessarilly agree with Malia here, but I'm going to bet her theory receives and unwarranted amounted of resistance.

Anyhow, a piece of advice I have is this: Don't bother using a politican's speeches at all for figuring out his/her type. They have speech writers and presentation coaches. This means you cannot guess them either by their words or their form. Look only to their personal lives.

I'm not going to bother making a claim about Obama's type, but something I find very interesting is that his old Chicago friend's and colleagues say he didn't seem charismatic or rhetorical at all. They liked him, but not because he was one slick and sparkly dude. He actually sounded rather awkward.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Keirsey typed him as INTJ, and I have yet to see/hear/read anything that makes me think that isn't the case. I could see ISTJ, but I would need to know how much of his unrealistic plans are actually ones he believes in and how many were just rhetoric to get him elected.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyhow, a piece of advice I have is this: Don't bother using a politician's speeches at all for figuring out his/her type. They have speech writers and presentation coaches. This means you cannot guess them either by their words or their form. Look only to their personal lives.
Sounds like good advice. Kind of like trying to type actors by the characters they play, it can be misleading.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
why is there even any debate about this, i don't understand ? The man is obviously ESTJ (Te heavy)

honestly, think about it..... would ANY INTJ marry Michelle Obama? DONT THINK SOooooo

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
LOL. Umm, Obama is not an S. That's ludicrous.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hah. As always, fun to see all of the "obviously" correct theories everyone has. And as always, most of them contain at least one element that doesn't have anything to do with the stated MB type, or just no explanation at all.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i think he is N (entp convinced me, my initial guess was socionics INTj)

but his wife looks very s to me.

deleted
i think he is N (entp convinced me, my initial guess was socionics INTj), but his wife looks very s to me.

I don't see how he could be socionics INTj. His whole premise of intuition is dynamic, and INTjs are intuitive static.

My amateur guess:

MBTI=ENTJ
socionics=ENTj-Ni

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm convinced Obama is an ENTJ. Possibly an ESTJ, but ENTJ sounds more reasonable. Getting him behind all these causes is a dream come true. He is one to bring about change. I don't think an ISFP would want to, or could have the assertiveness, the strength, and the power to do what he does. You'd have to be a TJ to do what he does in the first place, he's an E no doubt, and an N because he insights change and brings about causes.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
It never occurred to me to think him anything other than ENTJ.
The attention to detail mentioned in the OP is explained by high Te.

His references are clearly abstract. Without a question, N.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
ENTJ works for sure, but again, I have a huge problem with the notion that an NTJ would stay married to Michelle and not.... well, you know, want to off her or something. Just don't see that working for some reason

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
He's an INTP and he is Michelle's bitch. So you have all the potential of an INTP with the work ethic of an ENTJ.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
wont make a statement about type, but list what properties of him caught my eye:

i had him read his book to me, and watched him on youtube and watches his initiation speak. maybe i dont know enough.

he has this slow learner, observer, slow decision maker live style (much like malcom x). builds up his values or insight (N or T) more, than he acts them out (unlike E). is minimalistic about acting out anything. tries to live the impersonal life without properties (very T, totally unlike enfj), other than carefully applied actions. he is involved with people because he is cool about formal interaction (T), but he is involved without assuming control (unlike EJ), he listens, takes advice but does not become attached (not like Fe). building up values or insight by observation, not by trial and error (unlike Te or Ne). he applies them, when they are finished, in a stage process (very I). then he won't change them anymore (somehow J). he is not very situational, he wants to be(come) his own example of truth (Ti) Or channel his vision (Ni). his ability to survive and rise in politics would indicate Ne rather than Ni, especially if he is not Te dominant. but if he were entp, he is hiding this, and emphasises his director image (IxxJ). for good reasons. nobody would trust an entp president.if he is Ti, than he has strong Ne, which is to be expected from a person who is developed, which brings me to another point:

his motivational talk is mostly coming from a stage of development. it's not an indication of enfj. it's not an indication of his type. but there is N in the wordings. not in his message. this man is not a slave of his functions. he does not hear voices like ("make this plannet into an ENFJs dream"). if you reduce his message to something like that, then you did not get it.

i think his N is more apparent in how independent (almost isolated) he is in his live style (values and thinking).

i believe that transparency (that youtube thing) is a value in introverted people, because they don't like to feel excluded, but the superficiality of the world is usually making them feel excluded (blind and insecure), even when they are integrated and behaving in an extroverted way. extroverted people feel that superficial insight is all that is of real value, therefore they don't feel blind. however the youtube transparency is also a stage move.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
so, what is michelle obama?

isfj? extj? entp?

is she more like diane lane or more like condoleeza rice?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
nobody would trust an entp president.

Why?

extroverted people feel that superficial insight is all that is of real value, therefore they don't feel blind.

No, you're wrong.

Please, don't let your anger and frustration against extroverted people takes the best of you.

---

If we absolutely have to talk about Obama, well, I have absolutely no idea what type he may be. That's what is really interesting with him, because a lot of people can identify with him. He has many faces, he is complex. I like that.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
1) "please" don't assume that you can ask me for anything.
2) you are just manipulating again. my pattern is actually right on. superficiality is an absolute correct wording for the extroverted functions, which define objects according to appearance and behavior, not according to their inner nature. read carl jung and understand typology and integrate the fact that you can not have it all. you have the strengths of extroversion and the strengths of introversion to a much lesser degree. my pattern is certainly about degrees, not absolute, but you know this and pretend that you don't, because you are manipulating public perception of my writings. it might be possible that you have manipulated you own perception of my words, even before you have understood them correctly. i am not responsible for your faults.

i have earned agreement from entp, for the same wording of the pattern. what you think is just your opinion, not the opinion of extroverted people whom you claim to defend.