First 34567 Last

MBTI
    epyT
    Enneagram

Let's see...

Politics - No

History - No

Current Events - No
    Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    I no longer am SURE President Obama is ISFP (I admit that sounded far fetched, though I feel I had my good reasons).

He is such an obvious "S"!

Anyone have any thoughts about why he wouldn't be an "S"?
    I know there are/were numerous other pre-election threads about candidate types, and this thread may be better merged with them, but when the two forums that this could reasonably go in are political and pop culture, neither seem quite right... anyway...

I've always found him a bit of a puzzle for trying to type. One moment/speech he may seem one thing and in another something else.
    My observations...

I have a strong gut feeling that Fe is somewhere in his top 3 functions but thats the only real impression I have and his working his way up in politics as a community organizer I think supports the theory of him having a natural inclination toward Fe of some kind.

His decision to "look forward not backward" is a questionable one (IMO) and to me it shows a lack of Fi. He was a constitutional scholar and he has talked about valuing the rule of law, but when it comes to backing it up with legal action he chooses to make decisions for more practical/pragmatic political reasons. He is essentially making a decision to sacrifice a value to not upset more people than he has to, which could either be Fe or an intellectual political calculation. Its possible he could be Fi and rule of law is not a value of his, but that would mean he lied about that being something he valued which would also discredit any theory of him being Fi dominant (lack of authenticity).

I don't see much grand vision (Ni) in him (his ideas seem to be more the result of lots of thinking and analysis rather than visionary ideas). It could be a secondary, tertiary or aspirational trait, but I think some type with Ne makes more sense.

He does seem to respect the knowledge and opinion of experts and is also willing to consider "any good ideas" from "any sources", so he is open minded and wants to gather as many possible solutions and ideas as possible to analyze and choose from. I could be mis-characterizing this, but it seems like an Ne/Ti/Si combination for how he approaches problems.

That combined with my previous option of perceiving strong Fe in him leads me to believe that whatever he is has some combination of

Fe, Ne, Ti and Si. There are both N and S types that could fit that, but I won't make a guess as to his actual type beyond saying I'm fairly sure hes not an INFP and also have strong doubts about him being an INFJ as well.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I don't necessarilly agree with Malia here, but I'm going to bet her theory receives and unwarranted amounted of resistance.

Anyhow, a piece of advice I have is this: Don't bother using a politican's speeches at all for figuring out his/her type. They have speech writers and presentation coaches. This means you cannot guess them either by their words or their form. Look only to their personal lives.

I'm not going to bother making a claim about Obama's type, but something I find very interesting is that his old Chicago friend's and colleagues say he didn't seem charismatic or rhetorical at all. They liked him, but not because he was one slick and sparkly dude. He actually sounded rather awkward.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Keirsey typed him as INTJ, and I have yet to see/hear/read anything that makes me think that isn't the case. I could see ISTJ, but I would need to know how much of his unrealistic plans are actually ones he believes in and how many were just rhetoric to get him elected.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Anyhow, a piece of advice I have is this: Don't bother using a politician's speeches at all for figuring out his/her type. They have speech writers and presentation coaches. This means you cannot guess them either by their words or their form. Look only to their personal lives.
    Sounds like good advice. Kind of like trying to type actors by the characters they play, it can be misleading.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

why is there even any debate about this, i don't understand ? The man is obviously ESTJ (Te heavy)

honestly, think about it..... would ANY INTJ marry Michelle Obama? DONT THINK SOooooo

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    crap

LOL. Umm, Obama is not an S. That's ludicrous.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Hah. As always, fun to see all of the "obviously" correct theories everyone has. And as always, most of them contain at least one element that doesn't have anything to do with the stated MB type, or just no explanation at all.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Obama = ENTJ
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    ISTJ

I think ESTJ or ENTJ.