12 Last

Thread: The Mentalist

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default The Mentalist

I only started watchign this show a month or two ago, but quickly got hooked on it. With the catch phrases in advertising for it being things like "it's in the details", I expected it to be a strong representation of xSxx, and while some of the minor characts may be that, my impression of the main character is that he is what I would expect a charismatic ENFJ to be like, but I can't help but feel that I'm way off on that guess (E is the only part of it I'd say I'm certain on , but he matches my what I'd expect an ENFJ to be like)... So are there other fans of this series here, and if there are any ENFJs reading this, do you relate to Patrick Jane?

My guesses... (and very rough guesses at that)
    Patrick Jane - Enfj
    Teresa Lisbon - ESxJ
    Kimball Cho - ISxJ
    Wayne Rigsby - xSTP
    Grace Van Pelt - ISxx

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

For some reason, I think Jane's an ENTP.

But I'm fairly certain of Lisbon being an IXTJ.

You know, I was wondering when someone was going to post this show, haha.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by TenebrousReflection View Post
    I only started watchign this show a month or two ago, but quickly got hooked on it. With the catch phrases in advertising for it being things like "it's in the details", I expected it to be a strong representation of xSxx, and while some of the minor characts may be that, my impression of the main character is that he is what I would expect a charismatic ENFJ to be like, but I can't help but feel that I'm way off on that guess (E is the only part of it I'd say I'm certain on , but he matches my what I'd expect an ENFJ to be like)... So are there other fans of this series here, and if there are any ENFJs reading this, do you relate to Patrick Jane?

My guesses... (and very rough guesses at that)
    Patrick Jane - Enfj
    Teresa Lisbon - ESxJ
    Kimball Cho - ISxJ
    Wayne Rigsby - xSTP
    Grace Van Pelt - ISxx
    For some reason, Patrick Jane struck me more as a infj. I thought his intuition was his main tool. The character also seems to read people the same way I do. (This may be completely wrong). Edit: I looked again and INFJ is probably wrong but he definitely has dominant intuition.
    Last edited by Glycerine; 01-17-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Airporte View Post
    For some reason, I think Jane's an ENTP.

But I'm fairly certain of Lisbon being an IXTJ.

You know, I was wondering when someone was going to post this show, haha.
    This seems way more correct! Jane is most definitely N dominant.

MBTI
    ISFJ

What about Ne VS Ni? I'd say his deduction capabilities are almost exclusively fueled by outside stimuli no?

Based on functions alone, I'd say ENTP. But he also looks very socially accepting and fond of most people.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Based on functions alone, I'd say ENTP. But he also looks very socially accepting and fond of most people.
    He seems that way. Most of the time, I think he enjoys having 'fun' with people, so to speak. Manipulating them, persuading them, poking fun at Lisbon, stuff like that. Even if that wasn't the case, ENTPs can be very fond of people--and tolerant.

EDIT: It might also be possible to say that he appears accepting because people do exactly what he expects, in regards to their actions, behavior, etc, so he has no reason to be shocked/offended/exclusive.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE None

You guys haven't pulled anything from the show to support your misguided ramblings or shot in the dark guess work, you're all just talking in generalities, so read my post:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post610840

Compared to Jane, an ENFJ would be more attention seeking and look for approval from his peers and need people more, it's not out of the realm of possibility, but there's a stronger case for dominant Ni with secondary Fe (INFJ) than dominant Fe and secondary Ni (ENFJ). Remember, being confused for an extravert, is a main characteristic of being an INFJ. Even the whole thing of "Giving up being a psychic" and putting it to use for the greater good of himself and the world/CBI, and done because he can't let go of the past nonetheless, (eyeroll) is totally an idealistic INFJ move! To belabor the point, at the end of the first episode Jane goes to sleep on a tiny mattress alone with his thoughts, probably in one of his kids rooms....like a nightly reminder, he's out for revenge, like the second paragraph of this:

INFJ Profile

Lastly, I've written about this on my post, but Jane has come up with his intuitive leap WAY before the facts have come out, which is Ni, not Ne you guys. Jane plays dumb to confirm his Ni answers, but dominant Ne like the ENTP (dismissive) and ENFP (flighty) is out of place, with respect to his ability to know the thoughts and feelings of others so unexplainably and how Ne is so immediately reactionary compared to Jane, who is more premeditated in his approach, and never surprised as he knew it was going to happen this way all along.
    "Truth stands true, independent of whether you agree with it or not."

"Don't let what matters least, matter most."

Extroverted (E) 50% Introverted (I) 50%
    Intuitive (N) 62.5% Sensing (S) 37.5%
    Feeling (F) 51.61% Thinking (T) 48.39%
    Judging (J) 51.52% Perceiving (P) 48.48%
    8w9 EIE

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by paisley1 View Post
    You guys haven't pulled anything from the show to support your misguided ramblings or shot in the dark guess work, you're all just talking in generalities, so read my post:

Compared to Jane, an ENFJ would be more attention seeking and look for approval from his peers and need people more, it's not out of the realm of possibility, but there's a stronger case for dominant Ni with secondary Fe (INFJ) than dominant Fe and secondary Ni (ENFJ). Remember, being confused for an extravert, is a main characteristic of being an INFJ.
    I was going off rough impressions more than anything with my guess, and your reminder that INFJs can come across as more outgoing is a big factor there. Dominant Ni supported by secondary Fe does make a lot of sense, but I'd still be curious to hear some feedback from ENFJs to get their perspective on it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE None

I think there's just us to go over it, doesn't sound like too many TV fans on MBTI. Oh well. In response to your request, I don't know what more to add, I was actually waiting for YOU GUYS to come up with a rebuttle of some sort from the show, like myself, to disprove my statement, I'm feeling kinda lost here.....

....how can I feel pain when you're being so supportive?
    Last edited by paisley1; 04-17-2009 at 06:39 PM.
    "Truth stands true, independent of whether you agree with it or not."

"Don't let what matters least, matter most."

Extroverted (E) 50% Introverted (I) 50%
    Intuitive (N) 62.5% Sensing (S) 37.5%
    Feeling (F) 51.61% Thinking (T) 48.39%
    Judging (J) 51.52% Perceiving (P) 48.48%
    8w9 EIE

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ? None

Lightbulb Um....coming from left field...

Quote Originally Posted by paisley1 View Post
    I think there's just us to go over it, doesn't sound like too many TV fans on MBTI. Oh well. In response to your request, I don't know what more to add, I was actually waiting for YOU GUYS to come up with a rebuttle of some sort from the show, like myself, to disprove my statement, I'm feeling kinda lost here.....

....how can I feel pain when you're being so supportive?

I think Patrick is an ISTP....Ill explain:
    There is more to the MBTI then just the letters, there is also an order of functions.
    The first function appearent is Ti- an almost internal whiteboard of clear thinking, following with Se- a super clear sensory perception of the outside world. Ne's would not be able to pick up the details patricks picks up. Similiar to the show "Lie to Me"- the main character is an Se- picking up through sensory (sight) whether or not the guy is lying.