User Tag List

First 12

Thread: The Mentalist

MBTI
    ISTJ

No Patrick Jane is NOT an ISTP ! he is as intuitive as it gets.It's very interesting that many fictional characters in this site are being typed as ISTP ! (But no ESTPs , odd)
    Patrick Jane is either an INTP or ENTP , i'm leaning toward INTP , but is he really Ti dom or Ne dom ?! well he definitely uses Ne , no doubt about that , his whole style of investigation is the definition of Ne (No he doesn't pick up sensory details , he can say if someone is lying but not in the way Cal Lightman does , Cal is an ISTJ and completely depends on the facts he has gathered about lying but Patrick is much more focused on the meanings for example when he says someone is lying it's not just because that person has scratched his/her nose , he finds a connection between that nose scratching and other things that person has done and then he deduces that person is lying ), but in many episodes he relies more on Ti and in fact i believe logic is his original tool and with the help of his dad , he has improved his Ne.

Edit : I'v reviewed some episodes and yes Patrick is without any doubt an INTP and i actually believe he can be a really good role model for INTPs.
    Last edited by Probabilist; 09-17-2016 at 10:35 AM.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE

(Keeping in mind that we're attempting to align the inconsistent writing of an inconsistent character on a CBS tv show, against the mirror darkly personality system known as MBTI.)

To ENFP101, ISTP's are so focused on sensing the world and fixing objects that I've never known one ISTP from the dawn of time that has ever cared one lick about uncovering the big picture behind human behaviour like Patrick Jane does; case and point, this website! ISTP's are so focused on the leaf that they can not see the forest; so focused on stuff and things they do not bother understanding people and problems. For ISTP's, human behaviour and the big picture behind it, is either something to mock, not a concern, or just something they are a part of....it's straight forward to them.

To Probablist, I like the argument for INTP and I think it's in the ballpark, but can you give some specific episodes where IT EN was used? I'm struggling with that. Can you compare personal examples of INTP's you know of and how they interact with the world like Patrick Jane (or perhaps do not...hint hint) with more theoretical examples of classic INTP's against actual events in The Mentalist that are INTP. His sense of humor is highly ENTP with gamesmanship for its own sake, and less like the INTP which uses gamesmanship for logical consistency and understanding the system better for themselves and to educate others. INTP humor is like Tina Fey, highly estute and usually leads a person into writing, blogging, and lots of detail regarding the system.

I still maintain my argument for INFJ, with IN EF being the leading motivations of Patrick Jane, with glimpses of ENTP coming out of left field from a writing staff that doesn't write their characters based on MBTI! LOL.

Please check out this discussion forum on typologycentral for some interesting dialogue: The Mentalist Vs Lie to Me?
    Extroverted (E) 50% Introverted (I) 50%
    Intuitive (N) 62.5% Sensing (S) 37.5%
    Feeling (F) 51.61% Thinking (T) 48.39%
    Judging (J) 51.52% Perceiving (P) 48.48%
    8w9 EIE

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by paisley1 View Post
    (Keeping in mind that we're attempting to align the inconsistent writing of an inconsistent character on a CBS tv show, against the mirror darkly personality system known as MBTI.)

To ENFP101, ISTP's are so focused on sensing the world and fixing objects that I've never known one ISTP from the dawn of time that has ever cared one lick about uncovering the big picture behind human behaviour like Patrick Jane does; case and point, this website! ISTP's are so focused on the leaf that they can not see the forest; so focused on stuff and things they do not bother understanding people and problems. For ISTP's, human behaviour and the big picture behind it, is either something to mock, not a concern, or just something they are a part of....it's straight forward to them.

To Probablist, I like the argument for INTP and I think it's in the ballpark, but can you give some specific episodes where IT EN was used? I'm struggling with that. Can you compare personal examples of INTP's you know of and how they interact with the world like Patrick Jane (or perhaps do not...hint hint) with more theoretical examples of classic INTP's against actual events in The Mentalist that are INTP. His sense of humor is highly ENTP with gamesmanship for its own sake, and less like the INTP which uses gamesmanship for logical consistency and understanding the system better for themselves and to educate others. INTP humor is like Tina Fey, highly estute and usually leads a person into writing, blogging, and lots of detail regarding the system.

I still maintain my argument for INFJ, with IN EF being the leading motivations of Patrick Jane, with glimpses of ENTP coming out of left field from a writing staff that doesn't write their characters based on MBTI! LOL.

Please check out this discussion forum on typologycentral for some interesting dialogue: The Mentalist Vs Lie to Me?
    Interesting , i had never considered introverted intuition before but now that i think about it , it's possible. MBTI aside , i'm totally sure that he is not an extrovert so ENTP is out of the list for me , in the most basic definition of introverted vs extroverted , he is introverted. Some people say that he is like that because he has lost his family but it's not true , there are many examples of extroverted people in fiction that have lost their family , they have became more cynical but you can still say they are extroverted , they still go to bar , they are still in contact with some people and etc. SO yep , Patrick Jane is introverted.

So what makes you say INFJ not INTJ ?

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Probabilist View Post
    Interesting , i had never considered introverted intuition before but now that i think about it , it's possible. MBTI aside , i'm totally sure that he is not an extrovert so ENTP is out of the list for me , in the most basic definition of introverted vs extroverted , he is introverted. Some people say that he is like that because he has lost his family but it's not true , there are many examples of extroverted people in fiction that have lost their family , they have became more cynical but you can still say they are extroverted , they still go to bar , they are still in contact with some people and etc. SO yep , Patrick Jane is introverted.

So what makes you say INFJ not INTJ ?
    I just finished season 7 and yes i agree , Patrick Jane is an INFJ , no doubt about it.