• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

John Lydon

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OHNOUDINT

He's ESTP! Get over yourself!!! *flings tomatoes*

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Se primary!! ESS EEE!!!!

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You disgust me!

ESTP, fully and completely. He's NOT employing Ne. He's using Se!

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nope, ESTP. The biggest difference that I've noticed between myself and ESTPs (aside from the obvious inverted functional order) is that we're interested in creating the idea; they're interested in promoting it. Nothing about the Sex Pistols was Johnny Rotten's idea; he's very typical of the David Lee Roth school of ESTP frontman-ing. He's a great outgoing crowd pleaser but there's definitely a smarter N back there somewhere (in his case, a combination of manager Malcolm McLaren and guitarist Steve Jones) who's the actual brains behind the operation.

Not to mention the NT need for technical competence never showing up in Mr. Lydon at all. He was a truly awful singer who was interested in nothing but satiating his driving need for physical, tangible experience--Se ftw.

Note how his career totally puttered out once the band was over. =P

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
You disgust me!

ESTP, fully and completely. He's NOT employing Ne. He's using Se!
While I understand that you believe that, I just can't see it myself. All the concern about secondary effects of everything, know what I mean? Not the ESTP method as I'm familiar with it.

Nope, ESTP. The biggest difference that I've noticed between myself and ESTPs (aside from the obvious inverted functional order) is that we're interested in creating the idea; they're interested in promoting it. Nothing about the Sex Pistols was Johnny Rotten's idea; he's very typical of the David Lee Roth school of ESTP frontman-ing. He's a great outgoing crowd pleaser but there's definitely a smarter N back there somewhere (in his case, a combination of manager Malcolm McLaren and guitarist Steve Jones) who's the actual brains behind the operation.

Note how his career totally puttered out once the band was over. =P
If I take a particular ENTP I knew in the past, and David Lee Roth, and place Lydon somewhere between them, he ends up standing on top of my ENTP friend. Highly subjective, of course, but I can't get past it.

welshlass

MBTI Type
INTP

I dunno. It was a guess. I'm still relatively new to this so i'm just having a go. Intially i was tempted by ESTP. I have problems with the functions side of things when trying to type people. I tend to see them more as "whole" sort of thing. Ok can anybody tell me, using examples from any of the interviews why they think he's ESTP? And why they don't think he's ENTP?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The fury of his physical presence not only precludes him being ENTP, it pretty much screams ESTP. That man would not have survived his hideously Dickensian upbringing without that level of physical force.

*quirts Flak with a riding crop*

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't know if I can survive a good quirting. Anyhoo, any other ESTPs he could be compared more equitably with?

Lydon reminds me a bit of Trent Reznor and Sascha Konietzko, other musicians I call ENTP.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm destroying you with my mind.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know if I can survive a good quirting. Anyhoo, any other ESTPs he could be compared more equitably with?

Lydon reminds me a bit of Trent Reznor and Sascha Konietzko, other musicians I call ENTP.

Reznor strikes me as more INTJ. He doesn't revel in ambiguous in-jokes and self-mockery the way we do, and he's reportedly very particular about the exact methodologies applied to making his records (note that he is the sole performer on NIN records; NIN is really more a stage name for just him. The only time other people get involved is in the live show, because he can't do it all himself there.) His self-loathing is characteristic of INTJ. Plus he's just so god damned serious all the time, and I don't know any ENTPs who could keep that up consistently.

Other ESTP musicians would probably include Axl Rose, Liam Gallagher, any obnoxious, over-the-top rock singer that you always hear about in the news for their ridiculous rock star antics. They are also generally not the primary songwriter, but gravitate toward being the frontman. I use the emphasis because often they're better at that than they are at actually being the lead singer, as in the cases of Lydon and Roth.

On a side note, Paul McCartney and Roger Daltrey strike me as the closely-related ESFP. They both have that flair for showmanship and performance (as opposed to the NT compulsive need for technical competence) and the random, off-the-wall craziness, but they're just not such fucking dicks all the time. Damn ESTPs.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Reznor strikes me as more INTJ. He doesn't revel in ambiguous in-jokes and self-mockery the way we do, and he's reportedly very particular about the exact methodologies applied to making his records (note that he is the sole performer on NIN records; NIN is really more a stage name for just him. The only time other people get involved is in the live show, because he can't do it all himself there.) His self-loathing is characteristic of INTJ. Plus he's just so god damned serious all the time, and I don't know any ENTPs who could keep that up consistently.

Other ESTP musicians would probably include Axl Rose, Liam Gallagher, any obnoxious, over-the-top rock singer that you always hear about in the news for their ridiculous rock star antics. They are also generally not the primary songwriter, but gravitate toward being the frontman. I use the emphasis because often they're better at that than they are at actually being the lead singer, as in the cases of Lydon and Roth.

On a side note, Paul McCartney and Roger Daltrey strike me as the closely-related ESFP. They both have that flair for showmanship and performance (as opposed to the NT compulsive need for technical competence) and the random, off-the-wall craziness, but they're just not such fucking dicks all the time. Damn ESTPs.

Agreed. Trent is an INTJ. Lydon, Axl and Liam are ESTPs (don't know Roth). However could McCartney not legitimately be an ISFP? :/

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I do. I'm completely confident in his type (There's absolutely no way he's INTJ.)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do. I'm completely confident in his type (There's absolutely no way he's INTJ.)

Well Jack, if there's one thing I've noticed from reading your threads it's that you seem to have appropriated very high levels of certainty about your opinions from our J friends here. How certain are you that YOU'RE not an INTJ?

Well, I'm assuming extremely certain, but even so it would be helpful if you'd provide reasoning instead of just repeatedly asserting that you're certain you're right. Seems useful for purposes of a discussion forum, no?