• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gaelic Folklorist Mary Jane Lamond- NT, NF, NX ?

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I wrote a paper on Gaelic singer/folklorist Mary Jane Lamond (Sleepy Maggie) when I was in University. I read many articles and interviews about her, watched documentaries and followed her work for years. I recently realized she's probably a very complex type of intuitive, and still can't "label" her.

Even though Mary Jane Lamond is a singer, she dislikes the limelight. She had never considered becoming a professional singer before a door opened up and she walked in mostly because she was asked to help on a couple of musical projects in her community. She is far from anything show-off and shows a surprising sobriety on stage. Every concert is turned into a philosophy class about how modernization affects a poetic tradition and how a culture can be transformed by social changes, etc. You always feel like you've learned a lot after you've seen her perform. She also offers Gaelic workshops that are done in more private contexts, so I'm pretty sure we can say she is Introverted and Intuitive.

Having met her, I can also say there is definitely a NT vibe about her. She is cold, rational and straightforward and is definitely not the sweet type of woman. I also know her father is a INT engineer, so there are good chances she would be NT.

There is a problem though. Mary Jane Lamond's work is social work. She is very involved in her community and really seems to care about the people she works with. I recently found out she participated in the Green Party of Canada's last campaign in Nova Scotia. Folklore and ancient languages is not something an NT would care about either, is it? All this makes her sound like a NF. There is also the fact that NFs have this talent and interest for language, and Mary Jane Lamond once considered becoming a linguist before this singing career fell in her face.
I've read some descriptions of the introverted NFs appearing as cold and distant because a lot of stuff is happening inside, but can you be this cold? (Mary Jane Lamond's way would appear like anything but NF).

My conclusion is that she might just be one of those rare INXs.

As for the the J/P, I have no idea. I would say she sounds much closer to P, because she has pretty good artistic taste and takes her time to finish up a project.

So... INXP ?

:violin: Man, this icon is so cool.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Well, I don't know anything about her, but I think typing by interests (especially academic interests) is not a good practice. There is no reason to believe that folklore or (especially) ancient languages would be inherently any less interesting to an NT than to other types.

And anyway, you said she once considered becoming a linguist? Linguistics is actually one of the more commonly NT attributed fields of study.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
MBTI Type
ENTP
tl-Mom,+Dad...I%27m+Gaelic.jpg

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
After mûre réflexion, I have realized the aforesaid supposedly INTP Mary Jane Lamond is definitely INFJ. The detached NT-like vibe is an INFJ cold front. If it is true that INFJs show their passion and feeling through their work, this is exactly what I see here.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
As for the the J/P, I have no idea. I would say she sounds much closer to P, because she has pretty good artistic taste and takes her time to finish up a project.

I wouldnt say either of those criteria indicate P type. Finishing projects is a J issue (P-s do it but for diffeent reasons).

J's are usually more tidy in there personal presentations (P-s look a bit all over the place). J's are likely to be more tidy in their evnvironment - P-s can be crazy. P's get distracted very easily, they also go off in tangents (listen to a billy connolley skets on Utube - you'll see what I mean), J's are more linear in their focus. J's can be a bit overly reserved (can confuse the EI issue), P's tending to be friendlier... hope this helps.