User Tag List

Thread: The Lorax

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default The Lorax

I watched "The Lorax" on YouTube last night.
    It's always been one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books.

There are really only two characters with developed personalities, so I think..

The Lorax: ENFJ
    The Once-ler: ENTJ

Very strong F/T conflict throughout the story.. T wins but F was the one who should have won.

YouTube - The Lorax (Part 1)
    There are six parts for those who are interested- it's only thirty minutes long.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I love The Lorax!

When I was a kid, I totally wanted to strangle that bastard.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    When I was a kid, I totally wanted to strangle that bastard.
    The Once-ler or the Lorax?

Anyway, I kind of felt sorry for the Onceler... it's a shame he didn't figure out that he was going to run out of trees before his factory had no raw materials left... because then he could have planned around the supply of trees and kept things operating for a longer time. Instead, he just poured those resources into creating a factory that, in the end, had to be abandoned.

I blame the Lorax for his lousy presentation skills and passiveness (not to mention grating, possessive, irrational, irascible personality) letting everything get that far. If he had presented it in a way that the Onceler could understand beforehand, things would have turned out better. But he stubbornly insisted on communicating it in a way that made no sense.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Anyway, I kind of felt sorry for the Onceler... it's a shame he didn't figure out that he was going to run out of trees before his factory had no raw materials left... because then he could have planned around the supply of trees and kept things operating for a longer time. Instead, he just poured those resources into creating a factory that, in the end, had to be abandoned.
    He was portrayed as smart.
    So I'm left with the notion that he just didn't actually give a damn.
    Not much sympathy on my part for him and his desire to make a fast buck.

I blame the Lorax for his lousy presentation skills and passiveness (not to mention grating, possessive, irrational, irascible personality) letting everything get that far. If he had presented it in a way that the Onceler could understand beforehand, things would have turned out better. But he stubbornly insisted on communicating it in a way that made no sense.
    Maybe he communicated it in the only way that he could and didn't "choose" a particular style. Would you think someone should gripe about how you presented your ideas, saying you should picked a "better" way... as if you specifically chose the way that didn't make sense? I doubt that.

YOu know how the prophetic types are anyway.
    It takes a certain type of personality to survive being ignored and persisting in the face of impossible odds.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

It looked like the Onceler was still wealthy and well-known in the end.
    He just wasn't producing anything.
    He knew what was going to happen.. I have no sympathy for him.
    However, he didn't think about how he would feel about the devastation of the environment.
    The Onceler thought he would have been fine with the destruction.

If you watch "The Lorax", I think the Lorax's persuasion skills were fine, it was just that he was very naive about the sort of character the Onceler was.
    At the beginning, the Lorax thought that no one would possibly want to buy a Thneed since trees were destroyed to make it.
    Neither was willing to compromise. Unfortunately, the Onceler had more wealth and more power and won in the end.

The Onceler won but the Lorax was right.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    He was portrayed as smart.
    So I'm left with the notion that he just didn't actually give a damn.
    Not much sympathy on my part for him and his desire to make a fast buck.
    Well, he obviously didn't want his factory to shut down due to running out of resources... and he regretted the consequences once he saw them. He also had a much more pleasant and helpful personality than the Lorax.

And what's with your dreary moralizing and disdain for people who want to make money? The Lorax was obviously a relic, someone who couldn't accept progress and didn't like technology. He really looked like he was just being whiny and clinging to the past, loving nature. Nobody liked the Lorax, and people wanted the the product the Onceler was selling.

It could even be argued that the Onceler got more fulfillment out of life earlier on when he started out. The Lorax just spent his whole life fighting a hopeless battle and getting more discouraged over time. If he hadn't done what he did, he wouldn't have gotten that enjoyment. So in supporting the Lorax, you say that we should sacrifice comfort and enjoyment in order to preserve resources that are assigned an arbitrary value based on some sense of what's right and wrong, and not for any good reason.

Maybe he communicated it in the only way that he could and didn't "choose" a particular style. Would you think someone should gripe about how you presented your ideas, saying you should picked a "better" way... as if you specifically chose the way that didn't make sense? I doubt that.

YOu know how the prophetic types are anyway.
    It takes a certain type of personality to survive being ignored and persisting in the face of impossible odds.
    Why should I admire the Lorax just for persisting if he didn't succeed? It was futile and a waste of time, when he saw it wasn't working he should have tried something else. But he didn't, he just stuck to the same course. The Lorax might have been right about one thing, but he wasn't particularly bright or creative overall.

And yes, I do think that if someone is presenting their ideas poorly, they should have to learn how to present them differently before they deserve to have them listened to or accepted. Presentation is as important as substance in the end, in how people look at it, you know.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200
    Why should I admire the Lorax just for persisting if he didn't succeed? It was futile and a waste of time, when he saw it wasn't working he should have tried something else. But he didn't, he just stuck to the same course. The Lorax might have been right about one thing, but he wasn't particularly bright or creative overall.
    Athenian200, you make some good points about the Once-ler.
    However, he was just a 'champion for the people'.
    He took everything away from all the wildlife who had no use for the Thneeds.
    However, the animals in the Lorax showed more signs of human intelligence than your typical animals..

However, I have a question.
    What else could the Lorax have done to stop the progress?
    His only power was language. The Lorax didn't have the wealth or physical strength that could have stopped the Once-ler.
    The Lorax couldn't have made a deal with the Once-ler to preserve his land for a lot of money, for instance.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    The Once-ler or the Lorax?
    Oh, the Lorax definitely. I thought he was a self-righteous punk or something. I haven't seen it in a LONG time, so I'm just going off my vague memories of my impression of him.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel