• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Natalie Portman's type

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
And I never did, I just saw them as strong indications.

I don't believe you. ;)

Seeing as how Jennifer and I had called SJ on NP with several arguments for doing so, posting the judgment...

To be honest I think typing her as ISTJ is way off.

...with those indications as your only backing statements and without attempting to counter our arguments betrays that those indications were a definitive argument in your mind.

There's no weaseling your way out of this one, fellow INXJ. :devil:

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
There's no weaseling your way out of this one, fellow INXJ. :devil:

Well, at least I am backing off. I tried like ten times to write a response, but I seemed unable to express what I wanted, so I am just going to quit trying.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, at least I am backing off. I tried like ten times to write a response, but I seemed unable to express what I wanted, so I am just going to quit trying.

Dude, it is with a lot of empathy that I write this:

Don't rationalize your errors as misunderstandings. We INTJs base a lot of our self-esteem on being insightful and decisive, but we are not always right - and that's okay. Making errors (of fact and of judgment) is forgivable. (People don't mind that we are not perfectly oracular. Really! :yes:) Refusing to recognize and own up to our errors, however, costs us serious points. And it's idiotic, really, given that we aren't fooling anyone, just alienating them. Some strategists! :doh:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I've always thought that Natalie Portman was an NF (INF). No hard evidence, just a feeling.

EDIT: Here's a youtube interview of her from 2004.

I don't know what this means, but notice how she turns the from her movie (Garden State) conversation to politics.

Listen to her talking about her describing her Psychology degree and what she can do with it and the questions she asks Letterman.

Watch her interacting and describing her dog.

Letterman's show is more laid back and less serious than Rose so maybe she felt more comfortable joking around which may affect typing if you base it on Rose.

At the Least I'd say she's IFP.

Last edited:
O

Oberon

I think I've decided that I am Natalie Portman's type.

Yes, I'm 40, ugly, and married, but there you have it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I've decided that I am Natalie Portman's type. Yes, I'm 40, ugly, and married, but there you have it.

I wonder if she thinks she is YOUR type. (That is usually where romantic type theory breaks down.)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Have you seen the interviews I link to in the OP?

Yes, I watched one of the Charlie Rose interviews and a 2004 Letterman interview.

EDIT again: I need to stop replying so fast before I've finished thinking.

Here is some stuff from her Newsweek article that I found interesting:
Most stars your age seem more comfortable partying than microfinancing. So what motivates you?
A few years ago I had a very personal experience one that I don't wish to share publicly with political unrest in Israel. And it made me want to get involved in a productive way, not in a political finger-pointing way. My way of looking at the world, as an actress, is to try to put yourself in everyone's shoes.

Would you ever consider going into politics?
I don't know. I'm not really interested in being powerful. I'm lucky, by chance, to have this sort of power and attention because what I love to do also gets media attention. And because of that, I feel like it can help bring attention to something, a really worthy cause. It's the least I can do, and I wish I could do something more useful, to go out and be hands-on. I couldn't be a credit officer, I'm not trained for that, or be a doctor at Doctors Without Borders. But I'd love to do as much as I can do, learn as much as I can and try to convey that information to other people when I have the chance.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd go with INxJ, but with a well-developed judgment function.

As I can recall, when she said she was going to school, she was quoted as saying "I'd rather be smart than a movie star." So I don't think her desire for this move was for SJ servitude or dutifulness, but more about NT competence.

Her roles are often Enneagram Types 1 or 2, which correspond to Extraverted Thinking and Extraverted Feeling, respectively.

Te and Fe are very conscientious about their environment. That's not really S or N. Personally, I think she's more N than S.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I watched one of the Charlie Rose interviews and a 2004 Letterman interview.

EDIT again: I need to stop replying so fast before I've finished thinking.
Here is some stuff from her Newsweek article that I found interesting:

Those are good quotes. And they definitely highlight a large difference between Natalie and someone like, oh say, um, err, Lindsey...!

But the quotes still didn't say anything to me about type, they just reflected on her maturity. (Perhaps Introversion as well.)

I can't YouTube here, but I will look at your link later...

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
proteanmix, I haven't watched the Charlie Rose interview yet, but I just have to say that I agree with this...

But the quotes still didn't say anything to me about type, they just reflected on her maturity. (Perhaps Introversion as well.)

...and find it ironic that you of all people won't attribute such quotes to an ISTJ. ;) :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm glad you finally got up the nerve to say what you've been thinking all these years. Thank you. :)

I had to use the word "dreamboat" to describe you, because if you were a real boat, you would have sank a long time ago.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Okay, proteanmix, I watched the Charlie Rose interview. I still say she's an ISTJ. She is intelligent and educated and whoever brought her up did an excellent job, but she does things by the book. If she were less happy and hence good-natured, I have a feeling she'd be a real goody-two-shoes.

Do those of you who call otherwise regarding her type know any intelligent and good-natured ISTJ women IRL for comparison? Like I wrote in the OP, she reminds me tremendously of an ISTJ high school friend.

Do you recognize in NP any women that you know personally, or are your typings purely theoretical?

Last edited:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
proteanmix, I haven't watched the Charlie Rose interview yet, but I just have to say that I agree with this...

...and find it ironic that you of all people won't attribute such quotes to an ISTJ. ;) :D

My only justification is a feeling that I have that she's an INF, which I know doesn't mean much. I was hoping someone could compare and contrast her during the Rose interview vs. the Rose interview. Rose seems like she's purposefully being more serious while Letterman seems like she's a little more relaxed.

The second quote from her about going not wanting to go into politics doesn't seem like a very TJ thing to say. She says she couldn't be a credit officer or go into Dr. w/o Borders which is how I would imagine a TJ (ISTJ?) expressing their concern over this issue. She seems to be advocating.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Do those of you who call otherwise regarding her type know any intelligent and good-natured ISTJ women IRL for comparison?

I was rather split on this, however, I am fairly confident that she is ISTJ as well.

The only thing that bothers me is that she doesn't seem to give patterned responses, which is something I have noted in other STJs. However, her bio reads very STJ (not acting because it would affect school, very dedicated at school, turning down roles that she objects to, wanting to set a good role model, wanting to be a doctor like her father.)

I'll assume that the hesitation in that interview is more because she isn't as natural at answering these kinds of questions (they were politically loaded, as the movie itself is, and she considers disrupting the boat... especially in public... wrong).

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
The second quote from her about going not wanting to go into politics doesn't seem like a very TJ thing to say. She says she couldn't be a credit officer or go into Dr. w/o Borders which is how I would imagine a TJ (ISTJ?) expressing their concern over this issue. She seems to be advocating.

1. I wouldn't go into politics either. :thumbdown:
2. She says she couldn't be a credit officer because she's not trained for that.
3. She couldn't go into Dr. w/o Borders, because she's not trained in the professions they need.
4. She wants to use her fame to "do as much as I can do, learn as much as I can and try to convey that information to other people when I have the chance". An ISTJ can definitely want that. :yes:

I'm off to bed, goodnight everyone. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
2. She says she couldn't be a credit officer because she's not trained for that.
3. She couldn't go into Dr. w/o Borders, because she's not trained in the professions they need.

That was how I read both of those as well -- it was a matter of not having the right skills (i.e., practical issues).