• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Natalie Portman's type

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Alright, I'm not fighting that NP may be an ISTJ, I'm just going to give more information because I'm not fully convinced.

The only other TJ actress that comes to my mind is Jodie Foster. I really don't see that many similarities between Portman and Foster. And as someone already mentioned you should look at her film choices. Her film choices don't strike me as ISTJ.

I agree that she is practical and conservative but I don't think those are traits only found it ISTJs.

Interview 1
Interview 2
Interview 3
Interview 4
Interview 5

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alright, I'm not fighting that NP may be an ISTJ, I'm just going to give more information because I'm not fully convinced.

The only other TJ actress that comes to my mind is Jodie Foster. I really don't see that many similarities between Portman and Foster. And as someone already mentioned you should look at her film choices. Her film choices don't strike me as ISTJ.

I agree that she is practical and conservative but I don't think those are traits only found it ISTJs.

If you were to pick, at random, two INTJs, I highly doubt they'll even be remotely alike. It's 16 types against 6 billion people. And if INTJs constitute 1% of the population, you'd still have 60 million.

Truthfully, I always thought that the movie industry is actually dominated by Intuitives, believe it or not, simply because of the nature of the work, which is about creative expression -- which is primarily in the domain of Intuitives.

A child who dreams of being an actor, filmmaker, or whatever is more likely an Intuitive. Sensors generally have more down-to-earth goals that are more useful.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
The only other TJ actress that comes to my mind is Jodie Foster.

Just a quick post before work:

Both Natalie Portman and Jodie Foster started working when they were goodlooking and precocious children. That could explain why they are actresses despite being TJ.

I'll check out the interviews later, but proteanmix, I'm curious, do you know any intelligent and goodnatured ISTJ women IRL for comparison?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only other TJ actress that comes to my mind is Jodie Foster. I really don't see that many similarities between Portman and Foster.

I would agree. The best read on Foster I've had was INTJ.

Yes, there is an age (and thus experience) difference, Jodie is a generation ahea of Natalie, but Jodie seems to have a far broader perception of the world, like she is soaking up EVERYTHING within and underlying the world around her and taking it into consideration.

NP does not impress me as seeing past the surface, like JF does. Yes, as she ages, she becomes altruistic and aware of other nations and world/global problems and such, but every maturing human being will do that to some degree. (I would class Angelina Jolie as an S, for example; and she has been extremely prominent lately in terms of "world altruism.") But she seems to have a smaller, more surface-oriented sense of vision compared to JF.

I love JF but would probably find her a little intimidating interacting with her in person due to the combination of her intelligence and will/determination/self-confidence. Natalie is not that intimidating.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
proteanmix, would you mind quoting specific tidbits from the interviews you link to that you find belie the ISTJ typing?

I haven't seen many of her movies (actually I think Leon may be the only one :shock:) so unfortunately I am unable to comment on her choice of roles.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
proteanmix, would you mind quoting specific tidbits from the interviews you link to that you find belie the ISTJ typing?

I haven't seen many of her movies (actually I think Leon may be the only one :shock:) so unfortunately I am unable to comment on her choice of roles.

I hope this doesn't devolve into type stereotypes (which I'm not above), but here are the things I think may affect typing. I know only one ISTJ female but there's nothing that jumps out at me from her conversations that I can compare. I'm not saying an ISTJ wouldn't make these comments, but they are something I noticed.

FF: What appealed to you about the role?

NP: Coming from Israel it was very interesting for me to consider the mind-set of someone who goes from being non-violent to being drawn towards using violence to express her political beliefs. I enjoyed the fact that it was a complicated journey that can be interpreted on many different levels. Maybe she's being manipulated, maybe shes finding her true self, and maybe she's just developing pragmatism over idealism. Theres so many ways and levels of interpretation on it. I appreciated that sort of complicated view as it was something I had been thinking about a lot. What would make someone want to do this sort of thing?

FF: What did you think when you read the script?

NP: When I received the script I was just so shocked by the fact that a big Hollywood action movie could actually have substance and something that's provocative and is going to make people think and feel very strong things. Whatever those various reactions would be. I was like, "This is crazy! I want to do this!" *laughs* I thought this was exactly the kind of entertainment I was interested in making. I'm pleased with how it's turned out.

Both V For Vendetta and the latest Star Wars films have a political subtext. Do you see them as a conscious prediction of the future?

As a psychiatry student at college, one of the things I studied was how people predict their own futures from past experiences. History is where a lot of predictions derive from. Most of the political talk in both Star Wars and V For Vendetta are connected to the politic situation now. It's sort of an oblique way of referencing today's political situation by saying, "Oh, it happens 20 years from now." You can then criticise everything that's going on now and get it subliminally into people's minds without really hammering it in.

Basically if you read through the interviews, look for evidence of an extroverted perceiving function. She says over and over again that she likes new experiences and how they shape her world view.

The curly quote think ate my post so you're going to have to do most of the work. :)

Last edited:

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Reading the quotes, I see why you don't immediately go: ISTJ! However, on paper it's hard to tell what's real-time original thinking and what's the recital of something already learned. I have a feeling she wasn't the first one to compare Star Wars and V for Vendetta with the current political situation, for instance.

Keeping in mind that she comes from an intellectual background, I don't see the quotes as incompatible with ISTJ at all. In fact, the following quote sounds like an S giveaway to me:

Theres so many ways and levels of interpretation on it. I appreciated that sort of complicated view as it was something I had been thinking about a lot.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, I felt like V for Vendetta was very conventional in so many ways ... including the ending.

(Profound for an S, maybe, but I could see everything the movie should have been and could have been but merely settled for repeating the same-old, same-old cliches... An ISTJ runs off Si, so any commentary that plays into one's current absorbed worldview will seem profound because it is reaffirm the "truth," and new strange ideas often seem bizarre and unwise at first.)

I also found Star Wars 1-3 (most recent series) utterly shallow in its political analysis -- like reading the Cliff Notes for "Governing Systems". I don't know if an NF or ST is more likely to mistake it for something profound.

Oh well, this discussion is at least interesting. I know much more about NP than I did a few days ago.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Natalie Portman does seem to have those INFP eyes we've often talked about.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you think it is actually possible to visually identify types like the talk about on socionincs website?

V.I.

I don't know if you can determine it by the shape of your body, but I dunno, a lot of people just have a certain look -- a lot of INFPs have dreamy eyes.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I want to marry N.P. that's all I have to add.

Usehername

On a mission
I don't know if you can determine it by the shape of your body, but I dunno, a lot of people just have a certain look -- a lot of INFPs have dreamy eyes.

my brother definitely does not and he's definitely an INFP.

i don't think it's reliable.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
YouTube - Natalie Portman - Columbia University

Not nervous or forced at all there, which would lead me to think she's extroverted, if I didn't already, which I did. Her smile is devastating, like that of many ENFPs... (Example: YouTube - Natalie Portman's Favorite Swear Word) She doesn't think like an NT, so I'll rule that out. Seems NF every way I can slice it. Plays an ENFP extremely on-target in Closer. I wish I'd known more ENFJs so I could rule that out, but no.

ENFx.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I would say that she is ENFJ or may be even INFJ just my thoughts

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Ah Natalie Portman.....Phantom Menace at age 13 was a magic experience. No one understands me when I say this ("TPM sucked!burn lucas" et all) but when that happens I say only two things : "Duel of the Fates" and "Natalie Portman" :yes:

my brother definitely does not and he's definitely an INFP.

i don't think it's reliable.

At the risk of insulting someone I'd say it's not just unreliable, it's preposterous. In indirect ways, maybe looks can lead to well-likedness or something to that extent, but apart from that there is no scientific evidence (that I know of at least) that can prove something that is difficult to see in the real world to begin with.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
YouTube - Natalie Portman - Columbia University

Not nervous or forced at all there, which would lead me to think she's extroverted, if I didn't already, which I did. Her smile is devastating, like that of many ENFPs... (Example: YouTube - Natalie Portman's Favorite Swear Word) She doesn't think like an NT, so I'll rule that out. Seems NF every way I can slice it. Plays an ENFP extremely on-target in Closer. I wish I'd known more ENFJs so I could rule that out, but no. ENFx.

Maybe ENFP. Maybe INFJ.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
i don't think [V.I. is] reliable.

In my personal experience, sometimes I know what type someone is from looking at them, but not every day. I don't think I've ever been shown to be incorrect when it really clicks.

So, reliable in the "show me a person, I'll show you their type" sense, no. But there is a je ne sais quoi.