• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Doctor Who

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Can't believe there isn't one on this guy yet! [or maybe there once was and he's just so much of an enigma that everybody gave up!].

Choose any Doctor incarnation that you would like [I'm particularly fond of the newer one, however, David Tennant :wubbie: I adore him to bits...] They're all relatively similar, I imagine [I've only seen the 'newer' seasons and have yet to venture into the 60's and 70's versions of The Doctor =)]. However, each reincarnation of The Doctor seems to bring about a new or different personality twist.

So I wonder- any takers? :)

Feel free to type other characters [have fun with this...I totally would love to figure out the Dalek race. They're all the same...domination. Extermination of those...not Dalek...their strong need for survival..hmm.. :D]. Rose Tyler, Martha Jones, Donna, anybody! :)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, there was already at least one topic, so some bored moderator will be along at some point to merge this into it. ;)

The Doctor is ENTP.

Last time the thread popped up I attempted to type a few of his classic companions, but I'm not sure which ones I did before. A few that come to mind now:

Ian Chesterton: ESTP or ISTP
Barbara Wright: ENFJ
Susan: INFJ
Steven: ESTJ
Dodo: ESFJ
Ben: ISFP
Polly: ESFP

Jamie: ISTP
Victoria: ISFJ
Zoe: ENTJ

The Brigadier: ESTJ
Liz: INTP
Jo: ENFP
Sarah: INTJ

Nyssa: ISTJ
Tegan: ESFP
Turlough: ESTP

..and of course The Master: INTJ

There's a few. :)

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
^^ Wow *lol* That's quite a list there! Impressive!

ENTP... Well, I think you're right, there. No amount of introvertedness, really, and definitely 'out there' as far as a 'P' type might be *lol* Intuitive...well he has to be, doesn't he? :D and T...well, yes, he's pretty oblivious to emotions until they bite him on the nose [and even then sometimes he's a bit ignorant of them...].

Fantastic ;)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Some of the Doctors have had slightly different types. There were a couple who were quite.. hmm.. different to the mould.

Colin Baker.. was much darker.. INFP... INTJ?

Peter Davidson more INTP than ENTP.

Not sure what type Sylvester McCoy played him as.. very impish though.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a HUGE Dr Who fan and have typed him before in other forums.

Jeffster has it spot-on - the Doctor is an archetypal ENTP. His prevailing characteristics of ingenuity, improvisation and inventive genius (Ne) can be seen in all his regenerations as well as analytical logic and a certain detachment and ruthlessness when it is called for (Ti). However, each incarnation also highlights other aspects of his complex personality. For example, the current David Tennant Doctor is very friendly and outgoing; he seems to express tertiary Fe to a high degree. This can be quite child-like and engaging in ENTPs, but it can also make them unpredictably moody - most of the Doctor's companions comment on this trait of his!

The 1st Doctor (William Hartnell) was often tetchy and irritable - much like an ENTP's inferior Si function, which can get very pedantic about trivial details. Other, darker aspects of the Doctor maybe represent his Shadow side (eg the outrageous egotism of the Colin Baker Doctor).

As for his companions: in the modern take on the Doctor, they tend to be mainly NF-types to balance out his NT rationality by expressing compassion and a concern for morality. I would guess that Rose Tyler is possibly an ENFP, Martha Jones INFJ, and Donna Noble ENFJ.

Richard0612

MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree that the Master of the classic series is a textbook INTJ, but what about John Simm's Master in the new series. He seems much more outgoing, and almost seems likable in some ways. I wondered whether he was an ENTP/ESTP gone wrong (both types can be manipulative when under stress).

Anyone watch the spin-off series (Torchwood & The Sarah Jane Adventures)? I'll have a go at typing the characters but I'm not that confident!

Torchwood:
Captain Jack: ESTP
Gwen: INFJ
Owen: ISTP
Toshiko: INTP
Ianto: ISFJ

Sarah Jane Adventures:
Sarah Jane: INxJ
Maria: ENFP
Luke: xNTP
Clyde: ESTP
Rani (Series 2): INxP

EDIT: Oh, and as for the Daleks, I would have to go with ENTJ with massive Te overload!

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I love Dr who !!! When the hell is the next season coming out >_à
I just can't wait.
oh and yeah, entp to the core.

after all those centuries It's pretty obvious his Fe matured. Add 100% E and P to the mix, gives u the whackiest and coolest tv show character EVER.

Richard0612

MBTI Type
ENTP
I love Dr who !!! When the hell is the next season coming out >_à

There won't be a series next year, but there will be three specials throughout the year (as well as this year's Xmas special). Unfortunately we'll have to wait until 2010 for Series 5.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
There won't be a series next year, but there will be three specials throughout the year (as well as this year's Xmas special). Unfortunately we'll have to wait until 2010 for Series 5.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I absolutely adore Doctor Who. I would think that maybe Doctor Who is a well developed ENTP.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
what, what about Rose? or Martha?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I think we get a new Dr Who on Christmas Day, on the annual special!

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what, what about Rose? or Martha?

I'm hurt! Didn't you read my posting in this thread where I had a stab at typing Rose, Martha and Donna? :cry:

Please feel free to agree/disagree with my suggestions; they are only tentative.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm hurt! Didn't you read my posting in this thread where I had a stab at typing Rose, Martha and Donna? :cry:

Please feel free to agree/disagree with my suggestions; they are only tentative.

:blush: um...I musta skipped that part. But, I saw it now. I don't know to agree or dissagree really. I'm an entire season behind (all of korea is, don't know why) so I don't know a whole lot about Donna, but I can actually see ENFJ in her. I'll have to think about the others.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I find the new series pretty boring (and in some cases revolting), so I haven't really paid much attention to the characters' personality types. Martha was pretty hot, though. One of these months, I'll get around to watching the rest of the 4th season episodes of the new series, I left off on the Sontaran one.

For classic Who, I'm in the middle of Warriors of the Deep with the 5th Doctor, as well as moving rapidly through 3rd Doctor eps with my son, we had a marathon this weekend where we watched most of Frontier In Space and all of Planet of the Daleks. We started The Green Death tonight. :)

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
The Doctor is ENTP.
From Troughton on, certainly. Hartnell is a bit odd, though. Especially in the first season, he seems more like an INTJ. He's very goal-oriented, and refuses to tell anyone what he's up to. Anything that doesn't help him achieve the notions he fixes on, he dismisses as irrelevant. He's rockin' a bunch of Ni.

Later, after the mellowing, his personality more closely resembles all the following Doctors.

Ian Chesterton: ESTP or ISTP
Barbara Wright: ENFJ
Susan: INFJ
Steven: ESTJ
Dodo: ESFJ
Ben: ISFP
Polly: ESFP

Jamie: ISTP
Victoria: ISFJ
Zoe: ENTJ

The Brigadier: ESTJ
Liz: INTP
Jo: ENFP
Sarah Jane: INTJ
These are mostly right, I think. I'd go with ISTP for Ian; he's Ti embodied. Steven, though, strikes me as ESTP. He's very Se-oriented. True, he often serves as the Doctor's absent social conscience -- but in a reluctant, frustrated way. This isn't a natural role for him, and it puts him out to have to play guardian. Check out the stressed tertiary Fe going on there.

He's not very effectual at it, either. See how flustered he gets in The Massacre, during that famous rant. He doesn't have any control over the situation, and he doesn't want control; he just wants the Doctor to behave himself, so that Steven can ease off and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Missed a few, of course.

Leela: ISTJ?
Romana: ENTJ?
Adric: INTP?

Nyssa: ISTJ
Tegan: ESFP
Turlough: ESTP
And yeah, those seem right. Maybe ISTP for Turlough, as though it's pretty clear he's working off of Se, he's pretty pensive. Ti seems more dominant; he's always thinking, plotting, waiting, sulking.

And then the rest (pre-McGann):

Peri: ISFP?
Mel: ESFJ?
Ace: ISTP?

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Okay, venturing into new territory here (in more ways than one):

Grace Holloway: ENFJ?
Chang Lee: ESTP?

Rose: INFP? (Driven almost entirely by Fi. Her entire story is about figuring out her place in the world.)
Mickey: ISTP? (Literally a mechanic. He develops his tertiary intuition as he goes along. Early on, in true ISTP style, it's turned to conspiracy theories.)
Jackie: ESFP. (Conga line.)
Pete: ENFP? (Easily interested, but easily distracted. Perceived, perhaps unfairly, as a super flirt. Quickly intuits correct, if illogical, conclusions.)
Adam: INTP? (Easily overwhelmed. Rational. Future-oriented. Wishy-washy.)
Jack: ESTP. (Con man.)

Martha: INFJ? (Hard to type, as her character is written and performed so inconsistently. I'm mostly working with the "unrequited crush" storyline.)
Donna: ESFP. ("That bigger picture, Donna. You keep missing it.")
Wilf: ENFP. (Seriously, has there been a bigger inspirer?)
Sylvia: ESFJ? (An unhealthy one, who resents her daughter's Pe tendencies. Why doesn't Donna do something with her life? Yap yap.)