• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mary Poppins

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvk1NZDFvZU"]I'm telling you this an ENFP woman[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXITCwBdJQ&feature=related"]And this is an ISTJ, though ESTJ is the second most likely type, okay I'll agree[/YOUTUBE]

And I've already told you what I think about your opinions of Mary Poppins. I may actually cross posts those arguments to this thread.

- George Banks seems more commanding and overconfident like an ETJ. ISTJs are more, well, introverted
- actually I've changed my mind about Mary Poppins, I think she's ENTJ or INTJ. she seems more NT than SJ now that I think about it (at least we can agree on J lol)
- Mrs. Banks is definitely FP, but that's all I can tell

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
- George Banks seems more commanding and overconfident like an ETJ. ISTJs are more, well, introverted
- actually I've changed my mind about Mary Poppins, I think she's ENTJ or INTJ. she seems more NT than SJ now that I think about it (at least we can agree on J lol)
- Mrs. Banks is definitely FP, but that's all I can tell

She's an ENFP champion archetype, bro. I don't know how it could be any more obvious. She's oblivious to what's going on around her because she's so obsessed with her cause, and what future generations will think of her. She's inspiring the other women to follow her (or trying to). She's all singing, all dancing, oblivious, politically championing causes to the point of not realizing she's neglecting her children.

Not an ISFP.

Mary Poppins is definitely not an INTJ.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thanks for straightening that out Marm!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I was JUST thinking about typing Mary Poppins this very evening! I was watching a documentary on the guy who animated Mickey Mouse, and it turns out he invented the technology that allowed them to merge the live action parts with the fantasy cartoon parts of Mary Poppins. Anyhoo.

I'd maybe put a small E on Mary? Maybe eNFJ? I may have to watch it again, though.

I LOOOOOOOOVED Glynis Johns' character when I was a kid. I could probably still sing all of Sister Suffragette from memory.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
She very well could be INFJ. I would say maybe that even makes more sense with her level of self-restraint. Onemoretime actually suggested this another thread, and I thought I could see Fe and Ni but I could be wrong about the order.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She's an ENFP champion archetype, bro. I don't know how it could be any more obvious. She's oblivious to what's going on around her because she's so obsessed with her cause, and what future generations will think of her. She's inspiring the other women to follow her (or trying to). She's all singing, all dancing, oblivious, politically championing causes to the point of not realizing she's neglecting her children.

Not an ISFP.

Mary Poppins is definitely not an INTJ.

when you put it that way, yes she does seem more ENFP

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
She very well could be INFJ. I would say maybe that even makes more sense with her level of self-restraint. Onemoretime actually suggested this another thread, and I thought I could see Fe and Ni but I could be wrong about the order.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. She's so self-contained, but she draws people to her. I thought, I bet she's INFJ! But she seems to orchestrate lots of stuff, too. So I figured the small e was a good compromise.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. She's so self-contained, but she draws people to her. I thought, I bet she's INFJ! But she seems to orchestrate lots of stuff, too. So I figured the small e was a good compromise.

:yes:

I just shamelessly want to post the entire movie here. I LOVE Mary Poppins .

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3zAbQ0aMK8&feature=related"]:D[/YOUTUBE]

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yes, she's NFJ ... but kind of an ambiguous blend of E vs I traits. She definitely preserves this kind of buffer around her core, where you can sense that a great deal is going on inside but you can't quite put your finger on it... elusive. Typical of Ni. Bert, on the other hand, is more explicable.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mary Poppins is the ESFJ prototype!^^

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mary Poppins is the ESFJ prototype!^^

She's not S. Can't you sense the hidden core in there? It's like something cloaked, but you can't read past the cloaking device.

It's just the Fe that matches.

ESFJs are pretty explicit and will tell you in very clear terms over and over where they are coming from if you manage to miss it the first few hundred times.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
<3 <3 <3 I love Mary Poppins!!! This was my favorite movie as a kid and still one of my faves today.

At first I thought, "Poppins is such an ENFJ!" But then I got to thinking she seems more T than F to me, so maybe ENTJ. Though I can see INFJ as well.

I definitely think Mr Banks is an I. "What all this! What's all this!"

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
ESTJ (or maybe ESFJ.) All she did was come in and tell the kids to do their work AND LIKE IT.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ESTJ (or maybe ESFJ.) All she did was come in and tell the kids to do their work AND LIKE IT.

Nah, it was an entire process of getting the parents to spend more time with their children and specifically getting Mr. Banks to lighten up, too. That's why she leaves when the wind changes. She brings about the positive change and departs. She also encouraged kindness to animals and homeless people as one of her life lessons. The children don't just do work, either, they have all these magical experiences.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

we at least agree one TJ, her Te was very apparent to me
- your terms were X, my terms are Y
- criteria is X, meet it by doing Y
- "I would like to make one thing quite clear! I don't explain anything"
- she's always going on about being are speaking nonsense
- she's always cool and collected and expects other people to be too (Fe users are usually a little more neurotic. even when they're not, they give off a very different vibe than Mary Poppins)
- people loose their temper at her and you can tell she's thinking 'good heavens. control yourself!'
- "can you imagine what would happen to me if I loved all the children I came to see" Fe users are much more direct about love and will frequently come out and say "I love you" often with much more mushy language attached
- she keeps it business. everything she does is rational and for a purpose

I'm actually leaning NTJ, but I agree that she didn't necessissarily have some grand Ni sceme in mind. she didn't actually have to do a whole lot

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'm going to have to agree with Elfboy, Aquarelle, and Orangey... she is a Te-type. I guess I see why you guys are really trying to look deep for that Fe, but she has so much Te it's not even funny! But of course, she's slightly whimsical enough to be an N, but it's VERY controlled by her Te. I'd even go so far as to say she's a Te-dom.

ENTJ is my guess.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Nah, it was an entire process of getting the parents to spend more time with their children and specifically getting Mr. Banks to lighten up, too. That's why she leaves when the wind changes. She brings about the positive change and departs. She also encouraged kindness to animals and homeless people as one of her life lessons. The children don't just do work, either, they have all these magical experiences.

Exactly! She's playful and whimsical at times, and she pretends not to care too deeply about the children so they don't get too attached, knowing she has to leave them eventually. She has to draw boundaries to teach lessons and direct the kids' attention where she feels it belongs. But the whole time she's connecting the parents to their children, and helping people care about each other and not things so much.

Edit: Okay, I'm going to watch it right now. Luckily, my roommate has the dvd. Woot!

colourscientist

Te work ethic-ideology
i'm an INTP and i used to drool over this.. it sort of makes me wonder how EXTJs must have been when they were children. XD

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
Mary's very different in the movie than she was in the books. Movie Mary is an INFJ masking as ISTJ to pull the wool over Mr. Banks's eyes. Notice how she'll be very warm and gentle and suddenly tip her nose back and play at being stuffy. Notice, as well, how she leaves the instant her job is done. And when is her job done?