• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I would like to hear your thoughts on why he is an INTP. Just because he is brilliant does not mean he has to be an NT...
He is definitely a Judging function because he planned out the entire course of defeating Voldemort, and carefully,patiently worked away at it for many years.

I think in looking for Dumbledore's true type, it's easier to analyze his faults than his extraordinary abilities. Also, his childhood is very revealing as to his initial temperament and style, before life events and the steady build of the weaker parts of his character occur.

Very good point here. When he completely severs his relationship with Harry, he completely reveals his misunderstanding of the emotional needs of a developing orphan, since he is unable to recognize his status as a mentor/father figure to Harry. He imparts his lack of need for emotional support onto others.

For Dumbledore, I used to agree with INFJ until the last book. The last book revealed things about his childhood, teen years, as well as early adult that make me think INTx, but lean toward INTP. His relationship with Grindelwald is classic INTP-ENTJ matchup, his ideas and plans for new world leadership that is based on merit, intelligence, and power and his classification of muggles as a "lesser" group that needs magical leadership to truly thrive is something I find INTx-ish. Of course, he abandons his plans at the death of his sister, and turns his life around.

We see him at an incredible age with temperamental balance it can be hard to distinguish anything that sticks out to give clues. But I think they're there.

Nyx

I think in looking for Dumbledore's true type, it's easier to analyze his faults than his extraordinary abilities. Also, his childhood is very revealing as to his initial temperament and style, before life events and the steady build of the weaker parts of his character occur.

Your points are valid. Too often Dumbledore is seen in a completely angelic light, but, naturally, he does have faults. It makes more sense to analyze him this way.

Also, comparing him with Lily (INFJ) they are not so similar (Though they do have Snape in common... their relationships with him are quite interesting...). I think I did overlook his complete ignoring of the emotional need of Harry.

And you are right, when he was young the relationship between him and Grindelwald was very INTP-ENTJ-ish. At the end of the seventh book when Dumbledore and Harry are at Kings Cross the way the whole situation is talked about/approached is very T. Emotions do not come into the equation. The only emotions that played into this were Lily's. We see love as almost a tangible thing the way it protects Harry. It's a mere fact of the situation for Dumbledore. Obviously, for Harry it is emotional as well as a fact. Harry, in order to deal with the situation the way it was, had to detach to get the job done.

So we can say Dumbledore is INTX comfortably but why more P than J? Is his dominant function Ti or Ni? His type just seems to elude me...

Niaurus

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
Voldemort - feeling type? I don't think so. He never had love for anything and only emotion he produced was anger, if his plans didn't went the way he wanted it. And I believe he's introverted. There's been a lot of posts in this thread about Voldemort, no more discussion is needed.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Voldemort - feeling type? I don't think so. He never had love for anything and only emotion he produced was anger, if his plans didn't went the way he wanted it. And I believe he's introverted. There's been a lot of posts in this thread about Voldemort, no more discussion is needed.

I spied this and ROFLMAO - I agree Voldie aint no huggy type.... I'd say and INTJ.....

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hermione is an INFJ. J K herself has said that she is based on herself.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Then JK Rowling is an ISTJ.

Yeah. I mean, Hermione as an INFJ?

I remember in the last book, there was a scene (I think they broke into the Ministry ahh eye-dee-kay) and a wizard was seated on a chair which was carved as a group of "stupid-looking people", supporting the wizard. Hermione muttered under her breath, "Muggles; right where they belong" - beneath the wizarding world. It sounded like the hierarchical STJ way of thinking. I couldn't imagine an INFJ saying something like that.

Plus, in the Order of the Phoenix:

Hermione: It's exciting, isn't it? Breaking the rules.
Ron: :blink: Who are you, and what have you done with the real Hermione?!

Sounds like an SJ getting thrills out of going against the system. Besodes, wouldn't an IFJ come across as soft initially? Hermione had the stern ITJ thing going on.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I agree with everything in your post except...

Sounds like an SJ getting thrills out of going against the system. Besodes, wouldn't an IFJ come across as soft initially? Hermione had the stern ITJ thing going on.

... that. Which is too much of a generalization, and in some cases isn't even marginally true by any stretch of the imagination.

Voldemort - feeling type? I don't think so. He never had love for anything
He had a love for power.

Niaurus

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
I mean, everyone loves something.. He didn't actually had love for a human being.

For Hermione, I think she's an ISFJ. She's too emotional. Well, her character is showed different in the movies. ISFJ there for sure.
But remembering the last book, there were moments where fast thinking was required. Like when they all were at Luna Lovegood's house talking to her father. The Death Eaters arived, Hermione let them see that Harry was there, for Xenophilius Lovegood's sake, and used the invisibility cloak on Ron, because he's supposed to be at home and sick.
The other one is when in their hide-out someone said "Voldemort", so the Death Eaters or the Ministry of Magic people appeared. Hermione cast a spell on Harrys face and it became unrecognizable.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Was he an INTP, though? I'd have thought that if he was, he would have lost interest in his vision of power. "Oh, I'm bored now; I think I'll set up a rival bank against Gringotts, or something". :D

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
Hermione is an INFJ. J K herself has said that she is based on herself.

I thought that what JK said was that Hermione's insufferable-know-it-all streak was a caricature of JK's own behavior when she was in middle school, not that Hermione's entire character was based off her own. (Also, going off your author list, I thought JK was an ISFP. What makes you say she's INFJ now?)

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think that Hermione is a misunderstood INFJ

And Voldemort an INFP gone bad.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Voldemort a perceiver?! He's the typical plotting fantasy villain AND has difficulties adapting when the world doesn't follow his plans to the minute.

Umbridge = ESTJ? There are arguments - her hang to authority, whatever authority says... But at the same time I'm seeing a manipulative ENFJ in her. (Of course, whatever type she is, she will have its BAD characteristics...)

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Voldemort a perceiver?! He's the typical plotting fantasy villain AND has difficulties adapting when the world doesn't follow his plans to the minute.

Umbridge = ESTJ? There are arguments - her hang to authority, whatever authority says... But at the same time I'm seeing a manipulative ENFJ in her. (Of course, whatever type she is, she will have its BAD characteristics...)

Yeah, if you look at Voldemort from the other which side he can be looked at from (cold and unemotionless,) he probablly is an INTJ. (No offense to INTJ's) Now that I think about it, the young Tom Riddle was very INTJ-ish as well.

I think voldemort is an INFP INTJ.

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Why would anyone think J.K Rowling is an ISFP?! S's don't tend to create fantasy, magical worlds in their heads that then span over the course of seven books, do they? (Tell me if I'm wrong, I still don't really understand the difference between N and S).

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I mean, everyone loves something.. He didn't actually had love for a human being.

For Hermione, I think she's an ISFJ. She's too emotional. Well, her character is showed different in the movies. ISFJ there for sure.
But remembering the last book, there were moments where fast thinking was required. Like when they all were at Luna Lovegood's house talking to her father. The Death Eaters arived, Hermione let them see that Harry was there, for Xenophilius Lovegood's sake, and used the invisibility cloak on Ron, because he's supposed to be at home and sick.
The other one is when in their hide-out someone said "Voldemort", so the Death Eaters or the Ministry of Magic people appeared. Hermione cast a spell on Harrys face and it became unrecognizable.

Fs can fast-think. We're very capable of thinking. We just feel emotions while we're thinking. Like now, I'm very annoyed that T's think F's don't think. (You can't feel without thinking, and on the other hand you can't think without eventually feeling something on the matter. ALL T's have F in them, all F's have T in them).

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
So, I know that here have been another forum like this yet, but I think that we should make a new one.So, in my opinion:
Harry ISTP
Ron ESFP
Hermione ENTJ
Dumbledore ENFJ
Snape INTJ

I agree with most of these except I don't think Dumbledore can really be typed heh.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know about Rowling. I would also guess N, though.

Voldemort INTJ is what I thought, too.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Fs can fast-think. We're very capable of thinking. We just feel emotions while we're thinking. Like now, I'm very annoyed that T's think F's don't think. (You can't feel without thinking, and on the other hand you can't think without eventually feeling something on the matter. ALL T's have F in them, all F's have T in them).

Hmmm... you have a point here!

Fs - feel emotion while thinking
Ts - think when they have emotions

Just to be clear - I never thought Fs don't think. At the other hand, I'm asking some Fs kindly to revise the opinion that "Ts don't have emotions" - it's just as false.

Back to topic:

Dumbledore seems INTP to me.
Anyone have an opinion on Umbridge? ESTJ or ENFJ or something else?

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yeah, if you look at Voldemort from the other which side he can be looked at from (cold and unemotionless,) he probablly is an INTJ. (No offense to INTJ's)

But didn't he get this way because of his messed up childhood or being abandoned or something? I would think he would be a highly unhealthy F who was traumatized as a kid.