• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
see above.

Plus, she uses Ni in the last few books. She's definitely the plotter between the trio.

Can ISTJs also plot? Do they plan out their lives?

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Rowling could have re-characterized her because she needed Hermione to be a bit more of an N to get Harry through it all.
Why would Rowling need to make Hermione more N-like? Why not just make her smart and supportive? That's hardly something that Hermione would have to switch to N to be like.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Can ISTJs also plot? Do they plan out their lives?

I'm not saying they don't, but seriously? An ISTJ breaking into the government? An ISTJ succesfully breaking into the government? An ISTJ plotting to break into the government? I know I'm being slightly judgmental right now, but I cannot see ISTJ for her in the last few books. In the first few, definitely.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Hermione could read Harry when Ron couldn't. She knew what he was thinking, she knew when his scar hurt, and she knew what to do about it. Especially in DH.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't really see how Hermione could possibly be N. She was an ISxJ postergirl through and through. Completely focused on the established rules. Completely focused on a literal model of the way the Harry Potter world was (S), not at all focused on creating an abstract internal model of the way she thought the world should be (N).

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm not saying they don't, but seriously? An ISTJ breaking into the government? An ISTJ succesfully breaking into the government? An ISTJ plotting to break into the government? I know I'm being slightly judgmental right now, but I cannot see ISTJ for her in the last few books. In the first few, definitely.

Their plan would be more down-to-earth -- relying on the data they already know --; the INJs will depend more on their "haunches", which isn't necessarily supported by the current reality. (Recall how critical Hermione was of Harry's tertiary Ni in the 7th book.)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I don't really see how Hermione could possibly be N. She was an ISxJ postergirl through and through. Completely focused on the established rules. Completely focused on a literal model of the way the Harry Potter world was (S), not at all focused on creating an abstract internal model of the way she thought the world should be (N).

She broke into the Ministry of Magic. She plotted it all out! Harry and Ron could have never done so. Seriously? You can't see N at all through this? I can see S, but I prefer N for her.

To negate my position: Her not believing in the possibility of the Deathly Hallows after Xenophilius' house is a total S thing to do.

There, I'm contributing to both sides because I am not allowing myself to take fictional typology seriously.

I give up, ya'll can think of her as a Sensor. I think otherwise.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
We need something to interpret, don't we?

Yes, there is no one right answer or truth. However, what makes literary debates intriguing is deciding which interpretation has the best support.

Yeah, I agree. I was setting up to explain what I thought was a better method, which I edited in. I should have left out the last sentence of the statement that you quoted.

On topic, I'll repeat that I think Hermione is OVERALL more logical than emotional. She has her emotional moments, sure, but her character's normal state involves her being bossy, compulsively organized, achievement oriented, and no-nonsense. Like a Te dom or aux. Recall how she likes to belittle even her own friends for their ignorance, how she likes to plan and structure their lives for them, and how she has no problem berating others for their stupidity. She has too much Te to be an ISFJ, even if you think she shows evidence of Fe sometimes (during her emotional episodes, which are much less frequent in relation to her everyday self).

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I know I'm being slightly judgmental right now
To be blunt, I have to agree with you. Stop typing Hermione based on her abilities. That's a very narrow-minded and dangerous way of typing somone. Type her based on her preferences and tendencies. They point to her being an SJ.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Recall how she likes to belittle even her own friends for their ignorance, how she likes to plan and structure their lives for them, and how she has no problem berating others for their stupidity?
I was raised by an ISFJ- one who did all those things and did them VERY frequently.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
You really really don't want to budge even a centimeter off of your post, do you?

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
You really really don't want to budge even a centimeter off of your post, do you?
What makes you think that? I've changed my mind (and I apologize for not mentioning it). I can see Hermione being either ISFJ or ISTJ right now. I was just pointing out something that could be characteristic of an ISFJ the same way it could be characteristic of an ISTJ.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, I agree. I was setting up to explain what I thought was a better method, which I edited in. I should have left out the last sentence of the statement that you quoted.

Personally, I'd say keep it. ;) Debates help each other throw out the lesser ideas for the better.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I was raised by an ISFJ- one who did all those things and did them VERY frequently.

Okay, but if we're going by something that we can all reference, namely function descriptions, then you have to admit that those things all sound pretty Te, n'est pas?

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Okay, but if we're going by something that we can all reference, namely function descriptions, then you have to admit that those things all sound pretty Te, n'est pas?
They do, which would tip the favor of Hermione's type being ISTJ at this moment in the discussion. I'm simply pointing out that the possibility of her being ISFJ is still quite alive, in my opinion (and I again apologize for not clarifying that earlier).

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

It may seem that way because of Ni or Si. Many IJs don't show how their perception had changed and will instead input the new thoughts in their arguments. Ni/Si users can take awhile to switch positions because they need to examine the entire scope of a situation. Ne/Se is more comfortable with traveling from idea to idea, sans the boundaries.

Ni/Si can budge a centimeter... just in their minds. :) They keep these things to themselves.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
They do, which would tip the favor of Hermione's type being ISTJ at this moment in the discussion. I'm simply pointing out that the possibility of her being ISFJ is still quite alive, in my opinion (and I again apologize for not clarifying that earlier).

Gotcha. But I still think ISFJ is not a real possibility. Even if I were to admit that all of the examples of her emotionality were more Fe than Fi, that admission would still stand in the face of her overwhelmingly Te personality.

The only way I can see of ISFJ as being a possibility is if we say that what looks like stereotypical Te behavior is actually Fe, or motivated by Fe.

Personally, I'd say keep it. ;) Debates help each other throw out the lesser ideas for the better.

Well I'm keeping it because I'm too lazy to go back and edit it out, but your reason sounds just as good :).

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Haha! :laugh: It reminds me of what my XXXP friends would say. (Anyway, I'm out for now. Later. :) )