• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I hardly think anyone in the history of MBTI has been typed as INFJ on the basis that he/she 'never made mistakes'.

I agree with you completely. But a few posters were saying that Dumbledore was an INTP because of his major screw up in the 7th book, when they obviously can't see that it was all because he was in love.

That was my point, and I was being slightly sarcastic.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
True, her style did seem more STJ-like. The one thing that has me hung up right now is how emotionally volatile Hermione was. I'm talking about things like when Ron made the comment in Sorcerer's Stone "It's no wonder she hasn't got any friends," and then Hermione responding by taking that comment personally and spending a whole afternoon crying about it in a bathroom stall.

It's the Si (upholding/taking part in the current systems) and Fi (being individually valued). Both ISXJs desire respect from their community, yet for different reasons (Fi vs. Fe).

My memory of Hermione was of her being very emotional. Constantly taking things other people said personally in a very Fe-way. Constantly being the first one to cry or start gushing emotionally during high-charged situations (much moreso than Harry and Ron, who were both feelers). Hermione's emotional reactions seemed like an exact replica of the way my ISFJ mom reacts to things.

Does she ultimately act on her feelings? Or does she rely on her plans to get things done?

(Side note: Also have an ISTJ aunt who responds the same way. She goes with her head, not her heart when it comes to judging important decisions.)

Then again, I haven't read the books in a while. Maybe my memory of Hermione is just too fuzzy.

We're all here to learn by trading ideas. :cool:

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
But a few posters were saying that Dumbledore was an INTP because of his major screw up in the 7th book
No one's assuming anything about Dumbledore's type based on his ability to avoid making mistakes. I suggest reading the thread more closely.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
No one's assuming anything about Dumbledore's type based on his ability to avoid making mistakes. I suggest reading the thread more closely.

You're probably right. I'm just being an ignorant bitch.

I personally see him as an INFJ, and really can't find anything to justify otherwise. I have read all books more times than I can count, a few times even trying to see him as a different type, but can't.

And by the way, it was a little more generally directed than the posts limited by this thread. There have been many other threads on Harry Potter where people have made similar claims. But thanks.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Or does she rely on her plans to get things done?
All J's have plans. I don't think Hermione planning things makes her more F than T. The way she planned those things and the intended effects her plans were meant to have would be an indication of whether she was an F/T.

Then again, I don't really have any memory of what exactly the details of Hermione's plans were. Can somebody refresh my memory there?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I feel like I missed something in that book. Who was he in love with? :confused:

Dumbledore was gay. He fell in love with Grindelwald when Grindelwald came to live with Bathilda Bagshot in Godric's Hallow. Dumbledore was so wrapped up in love that he set aside his fragmenting family responsibilities, and went off on adventures seeking the Deathly Hallows with Grindelwald, and participating in wizard-elitist philosophies that he didn't necessarily agree with, but was pretending/wanting to because he was in love with Grindelwald.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
All J's have plans. I don't think Hermione planning things makes her more F than T. The way she planned those things and the intended effects her plans were meant to have would be an indication of whether she was an F/T.

Then again, I don't really have any memory of what exactly the details of Hermione's plans were. Can somebody refresh my memory there?

what type do you think Hermione and Dumbeldore are?

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I personally see him as an INFJ, and really can't find anything to justify otherwise.
Did you read the last book? It portrayed Dumbledore as being someone cared more about manipulating the people involved in his 'master plans' than he did about how those people actually felt. It's the textbook definition of how T's operate. His consideration of how he could 'use' people in his master scheme took precedence over his consideration of how those people would be emotionally effected by the situation. T over F. It's that simple, really.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Many of her plans were driven by Te and Fi. An ISFJ is more of an immediate planner, they don't sit back to think of the best possible workable solution. They head right in to iron the emotional conflicts. (Compared to their INFJ counterpart, who probably would take some time to respond. Inferior Se; sensing.)

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Many of her plans were driven by Te and Fi. An ISFJ is more of an immediate planner, they don't sit back to think of the best possible workable solution. They head right in to iron the emotional conflicts.
My very hazy memories of what Hermione's involvement with S.P.E.W entailed give me the feeling that her motivations were more emotionally based than logically based. I'll need to actually go back and look at the facts before I can back up that gut feeling though.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Here's a little nugget I found:

“But she was frightened!” Hermione burst out angrily glaring at Mr. Crouch “Your elf’s scared of heights and those wizards in masks were levitating people! You can’t blame her for wanting to get out there.

That's the first quote I could find from Hermione in relation to her involvement with S.P.E.W. It seems to me that she was clearly taking an F standpoint there, empathizing with the elf.

Whether that's an ISFJ's Fe or an ISTJ's tertiary Fi is up for debate.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My very hazy memories of what Hermione's involvement with S.P.E.W entailed give me the feeling that her motivations were more emotionally based than logically based. I'll need to actually go back and look at the facts before I can back up that gut feeling though.

No problem.

[My interpretation: (Si) pondering about the community. (Fi+Si) wants to values to match to a recent system. (Fi) Fighting for individual rights. Doesn't strive to get her values to match others as a Fe user would.]

Fi: Values are not affected by external influences.
Fe: Values depend on how other people feel about it. (Clearly the elves didn't appreciate her cause, yet she continued to carry them through.)

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Doesn't strive to get her values to match others as a Fe user would.]
I remember her doing that quite a bit, actually. Wasn't Hermione constantly judging other people who talked down on House Elves and treated them poorly? Wasn't she constantly trying to tell them how wrong they were to do so? That seems like textbook Fe to me. If only I had my goblet of fire copy handy with me so that I could pull out a little army of quotes to back this up...

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Did you read the last book? It portrayed Dumbledore as being someone cared more about manipulating the people involved in his 'master plans' than he did about how those people actually felt. It's the textbook definition of how T's operate. His consideration of how he could 'use' people in his master scheme took precedence over his consideration of how those people would be emotionally effected by the situation. T over F. It's that simple, really.

"I have read all books more times than I can count, a few times even trying to see him as a different type, but can't."

I can see that, but I can still see an F doing such a thing. It was for the betterment of humanity. It would have been glorious, and he knew Harry wouldn't have resisted. Sure, it could have been a T-like tendency, but it was for something of a greater value.

You have your opinion, and I have mine. Neither is wrong, or necessarily right.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I remember her doing that quite a bit, actually. If only I had my goblet of fire copy handy with me so that I could pull out a little army of quotes to back this up...

Yeah, what would also help is to define the differences between Si and Fe in those quotes. They can arrive to the same conclusions. (Same ends, separate intentions & processes.) If you can firmly support Hermione being an ISFJ, I'll switch sides.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram

That's the thing though, an IxTJ will (at least some of the time) draw motivations from their Fi. How they implement those will be logical, but the motivations themselves will be quite emotionally based.

I remember her doing that quite a bit, actually. Wasn't Hermione constantly judging other people who talked down on House Elves and treated them poorly? Wasn't she constantly trying to tell them how wrong they were to do so? That seems like textbook Fe to me. If only I had my goblet of fire copy handy with me so that I could pull out a little army of quotes to back this up...

Also, if you've ever known as ISTJ they can be pretty judgemental :laugh: But like Lethe said it's a function of Si+Fi internal values.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I can see that, but I can still see an F doing such a thing. It was for the betterment of humanity. It would have been glorious, and he knew Harry wouldn't have resisted. Sure, it could have been a T-like tendency, but it was for something of a greater value.
It was for the betterment of humanity, but I would see an INFJ and INTJ going about it differently.

An INFJ would've felt terrible about using people the way Dumbledore did. And yet, when Dumbledore talked about the way he had been manipulating everyone and stringing people along in Deathly Hallows, he seemed quite indifferent. Or maybe that's just my memory failing me.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Whether that's an ISFJ's Fe or an ISTJ's tertiary Fi is up for debate.

Well thanks for clarifying nothing. I expect most quotes that anyone digs up regarding Hermione's "emotionality" will be equally as helpful. This is a matter of interpretation, not of simply digging to find the answer in the book.

I think Hermione is ISTJ. I made this determination based on the aspects of her personality that she is most adept at and has the most control over. In her case, I think it is fairly clear that she is far more adept at logically working things out than at handling her emotions (hence, the embarrassing outbursts). So instead of trying to interpret whether specific instances of her behavior count as Fi or Fe, and then using that information as a determination of which "F" function she uses and its place in the function stack, and then finally determining her type from there, I find it far more helpful to try and track her overall behavioral pattern.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
If Hermione was an INTJ, she would have been in Ravenclaw.

Her Fe (yes, I think she does have one!) is what makes her a Gryffindor IN MY OPINION.