• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The two most clear typings in the entire series

Luna - INFP
Neville - ISFJ (I don't see how so many people get INTP, but feel free to explain)

As for why people type him as INTP, maybe it's due to his absent-mindedness and clumsiness. I know he had trouble getting passwords straight and the like. Then at the end of book 7 he becomes a herbology professor. Maybe people think professor = INTP, which it doesn't.

I can't rule out INTP as a possible typing for him though. He could be INTP, or ISFJ, or maybe INFP. Introversion seems apparent. He seems rather anxious and easily scared and intimidated in the earlier books and you wonder why he got sorted into Gryffindor. Well it becomes quite apparent in book 7.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Harry: ISFP
Ron: ENFP
Hermione: ESTJ
Ginny: ENFJ
Neville: ISFJ
Luna: INTP
Draco: ESTP
Snape: INTJ
Mcgongall: ESTJ
Umbridge: ESTJ
Lucius: ENTJ
Hagrid: ISFP
Petunia: ISTJ
Vernon: ESTP
Dudley: ESTP
Voldemort: ENTJ
Dumbledore: INTJ

mbtiobsessedlunatic

MBTI Type
INTP
Harry: ISFP
Hermione: INTx
Ron: ENFP

Dumbledore: xNFJ
Snape: ISTJ?
McGonagall: ISTJ
Slughorn: ESTJ
Lockhart: ExFP
Filch: ISTx

Remus: INFJ
Sirius: ENTP
James: ENFJ?
Pettigrew: ISxJ

Mad-eye: ISTJ
Aberforth: INTP?
Nymphadora: ISFP?
Lily: ESFJ
Molly: ESFx
Arthur: ENxP
Percy: ISTJ

Luna: INFP
Neville: ISFJ
Ginny: ESxP
Draco: xNTJ
Fred and George: ESFP

Voldemort:xNTJ
Bellatrix: ESTJ
Lucius:ENTJ

Petunia: ISTJ
Vernon: ESTJ
Dudley: ESTP

Houses:
Gryffindor: ESFP, ESTP, ENFP, ENTP, ISFP, ISTP
Hufflepuff: ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ENFJ, ISTJ, ISFP, INFP
Ravenclaw: ENTJ, ENTP, INTP, INTJ, INFP (This is a bit weird for me, because I'm an INTP, but in Slytherin)
Slytherin: INTJ, ISTJ, ENFJ, ENTJ, ESTP, ENFP

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I really think Hermione is an ISTJ. Fred and George are typed ESFP a lot, but I think ENTP fits better. Dumbledore is Ni and Fe. Probably ENFJ.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I would definatley type fred and George as ENTP, their Ne was blaring through their cores.

Hermione seemed like an extrovert to me, she never really seemed to need time to withdraw on her own, and she seemed to have excellent control of her outer world and a very clear mindset as to what she needed to be doing.

mariamemubarak

About Hermione...

Hmm, JK Rowling is an INFJ, and she said she based Hermione on herself but with a little "exaggeration," which is why I think Hermione's an INFJ.

Yes, she does come off as bossy and Te over Fe at the beginning but ONLY at the beginning.

“Books, and cleverness? There are more important things: friendship, and bravery.”

Proves she's Fe over Te.

INFJs come third on the list of smartest MBTI types. I'm an INFJ myself, I took a certificate for outstanding mathematical and logical thinking. It's possible that INFJs may seem as Te over Fe.

Now, I don't know how many are basing this on the movies but here's some proof from the book:

Ron: “Never heard of it.”
Hermione: “Well, of course you haven't. I've only just started it.”
Ron: “And how many members do you have?”
Hermione: “Well, if you two join, three.”

Hermione totally strikes me as an NF for another reason, the diplomat Hermione. She's The Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare starter, so NF-like.

Another reason is Hermione's "skin hunger," hasn't anyone ever noticed the massive amount of hugs she gives per book/movie? I don't know about INFJs, but I do suggest that such need for touching your loved ones is a Fe trait.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken. :)

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
About Hermione...

Hmm, JK Rowling is an INFJ, and she said she based Hermione on herself but with a little "exaggeration," which is why I think Hermione's an INFJ.

Yes, she does come off as bossy and Te over Fe at the beginning but ONLY at the beginning.

“Books, and cleverness? There are more important things: friendship, and bravery.”

Proves she's Fe over Te.

INFJs come third on the list of smartest MBTI types. I'm an INFJ myself, I took a certificate for outstanding mathematical and logical thinking. It's possible that INFJs may seem as Te over Fe.

Now, I don't know how many are basing this on the movies but here's some proof from the book:

Ron: “Never heard of it.”
Hermione: “Well, of course you haven't. I've only just started it.”
Ron: “And how many members do you have?”
Hermione: “Well, if you two join, three.”

Hermione totally strikes me as an NF for another reason, the diplomat Hermione. She's The Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare starter, so NF-like.

Another reason is Hermione's "skin hunger," hasn't anyone ever noticed the massive amount of hugs she gives per book/movie? I don't know about INFJs, but I do suggest that such need for touching your loved ones is a Fe trait.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken. :)

I don't know... In the books she seems to use a ton of Te and Fi.

Her bossiness, and seeming need to be right while also being heard point to and ETJ for me. Given that, and the fact that she absolutely needs to control her outer world, especially at the beginning, really makes me near certain that Hermione is an extrovert. She has a take charge attitude and a seeming lack of capability to notice,understandand, or react to the behavior of others which points to what I would think of as a lack of Se and/or Fe.

She has an impressive store of knowledge, and was able to site specific facts out of her textbook generally verbatim. That points to a strong Si for me. I would also say that Te Si is what causes her to be so hesitant, especially when she is younger, to break the rules. Si has a very strong grip on her.

I believe that Fi for her is shown in her crusade for the house elves, only because Fi is her 4th function it doesn't strongly start to develop itself large enough to become a workable part of her until about maybe fifth year, and even then she does not have a very strong hold on its usage as she is not comfortable enough with it to really explore it, she just accepts the feelings that it hands to her and tries to extravert them into action because of her strong Te.

I would say that Hermione also has a decent amount of Ne. Although it is definately overshadowed by her stronger functions, it generally does allow Hermione to come up with and play along with theories as to who's after the stone, who opened the chamber, ect. And since again it is not super strong, especially during her first few years, her theories were usually unreliable. They developed as she matured, as did her functions. So anyways, I believe Hermione to be a near definate ESTJ. Te:Si:Ne:Fi.

Funtions tend to develop over time, so when you are younger you are generally going to rely on your most preferred for most of your dealings with the world. As you grow you are able to better temper the negative aspects of your primary functions with your devloping functions. That is why as the books progressed, I hypothesize, we see less blatantly over the top Te from Hermione. She still uses it, and defintely still prefers it, but the other funtions have a more established place inside of her now.

Different types can mask similarly at different times. Behavior over a certain period does not always mean that the people all the people who display it are the same type. And INFJ types are liable to want some sort of recognition for their work, and are very future oriented, so they would be likely to work hard especially in their younger years. Same behavior as Hermiones, but different reasons behind it.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm kind of stuck on Neville though. He could be ISFJ, INTP, or INFP. He tears me.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm kind of stuck on Neville though. He could be ISFJ, INTP, or INFP. He tears me.
My vote is INTP. I contrast him with Luna, whom I consider to be INFP. He lacks the floaty, ethereal quality Luna has, and comes across as a picked-on nerd who eventually finds his niche with herbology.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
My vote is INTP. I contrast him with Luna, whom I consider to be INFP. He lacks the floaty, ethereal quality Luna has, and comes across as a picked-on nerd who eventually finds his niche with herbology.

Ok well, my reasoning for leaning towards ISFJ for Neville is the loyalty he displays towards his friends and general reluctance he has towards sticking up for himself. While this could also be an INTP trait, it seems more predominately the behavior of a young and overly sheltered ISFJ to me. He also shows little aptitude for potions which seems to be a highly theoretical subject. Hm, no well I suppose sent it would be taught in a classroom I could see it being more regimented and exacting.

And I suppose that his inferior Fe could push up out of his control and cause him to be ridiculously nervous which could cause a potential disconnect between his brain and his body. Yeah I suppose an ISFJ would probably have that more under control, and they would probably be better able to follow the precise and detail oriented curricula that teaching the bare basics the practical aspect of potions.

And the Neville in the books always seems to give off that detatched and yet slightly frantic air that I would theorize would be more prevalent amonst Ti-doms, especially when paired with Ne. And his near mastery of Herbology, something of interest to him, also is a point towards INTP... Ok you convinced me I change my mind, I would type Neville as an INTP.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok well, my reasoning for leaning towards ISFJ for Neville is the loyalty he displays towards his friends and general reluctance he has towards sticking up for himself. While this could also be an INTP trait, it seems more predominately the behavior of a young and overly sheltered ISFJ to me. He also shows little aptitude for potions which seems to be a highly theoretical subject. Hm, no well I suppose sent it would be taught in a classroom I could see it being more regimented and exacting.

And I suppose that his inferior Fe could push up out of his control and cause him to be ridiculously nervous which could cause a potential disconnect between his brain and his body. Yeah I suppose an ISFJ would probably have that more under control, and they would probably be better able to follow the precise and detail oriented curricula that teaching the bare basics the practical aspect of potions.

And the Neville in the books always seems to give off that detatched and yet slightly frantic air that I would theorize would be more prevalent amonst Ti-doms, especially when paired with Ne. And his near mastery of Herbology, something of interest to him, also is a point towards INTP... Ok you convinced me I change my mind, I would type Neville as an INTP.
Yes, INTPs can roll with quite alot until it crosses some line, often a manifestation of inf Fe, which might manifest as loyalty to friends. As for potions, INTPs won't excel at subjects they don't like because they just won't bother*. It doesn't help that the professor hates him. A TJ might work extra hard just to spite Snape, or prove he can do it. Just look at Hermione. Once Neville discovers herbology, though, we can see his true INTP dedication to something that interests him. According to the book 7 epilogue, he eventually returns to Hogwarts to teach herbology.

I made a demotivator poster once showing Neville sitting at a table with his tools and some exotic plant. The caption was: "Potions? That's an engineering problem." INTPs often to prefer theory or knowledge for its own sake to applied knowledge.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
But why INFP for Luna? She doesnt necessarily seem to be striving towards any particular cause. Although her beliefs seem to come accross as fantasical and gushy, she seems to be able to support them rationally, or at least in her own twisted otherworldly way.

Although she does, if I remember correctly, have her beliefs challenged by Hermione at some point and at that point I believe she does lash out, couldn't that just be Fe? Could hers possibly be more developed than Nevilles since she is female and there would be more of a push for her to develop it?

I suppose it is all a matter of if she incorporates her beliefs as a part of herself and reacts with Fi towards percieved 'attack' on her 'character', or if she holds them distantly from herself and just believes Hermiones scepticism to be closed mindedness that frusterates her in the moment.

Could Fi twist logic, do you think that she is just trying to justify her Fi through her Te?

One1000

Yes, INTPs can roll with quite alot until it crosses some line, often a manifestation of inf Fe, which might manifest as loyalty to friends. As for potions, INTPs won't excel at subjects they don't like because they just won't bother*. It doesn't help that the professor hates him. A TJ might work extra hard just to spite Snape, or prove he can do it. Just look at Hermione. Once Neville discovers herbology, though, we can see his true INTP dedication to something that interests him. According to the book 7 epilogue, he eventually returns to Hogwarts to teach herbology.

I made a demotivator poster once showing Neville sitting at a table with his tools and some exotic plant. The caption was: "Potions? That's an engineering problem." INTPs often to prefer theory or knowledge for its own sake to applied knowledge.

I still think ISFJ makes more sense. He doesn't have the cool, rational, and detatched nature of most INTP's. He seems more emotionally driven. I don't think his interest in herbology necessarily points to INTP. It is the study of plants and herbs which probably isn't very theoretical. I think that ISFJ, the nurturing type would be very likely to be interested in something like that. I'm not saying INTP, or any other type is impossible. I just feel ISFJ is a better fit.

INFPtheQuietOne

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Wouldn't Harry be INFP, not ISxP, you keep forgetting he's a magical fantasy hero, why do you think he's ISxP? I see Si in him, and more Ne.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harry - ISFP
Ron - ESFP
Hermione - xSTJ

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But why INFP for Luna? She doesnt necessarily seem to be striving towards any particular cause. Although her beliefs seem to come accross as fantasical and gushy, she seems to be able to support them rationally, or at least in her own twisted otherworldly way.

Although she does, if I remember correctly, have her beliefs challenged by Hermione at some point and at that point I believe she does lash out, couldn't that just be Fe? Could hers possibly be more developed than Nevilles since she is female and there would be more of a push for her to develop it?

I suppose it is all a matter of if she incorporates her beliefs as a part of herself and reacts with Fi towards percieved 'attack' on her 'character', or if she holds them distantly from herself and just believes Hermiones scepticism to be closed mindedness that frusterates her in the moment.

Could Fi twist logic, do you think that she is just trying to justify her Fi through her Te?
It could be. I see INFJ as the type that would strive toward a cause. INFPs change the world more by being than by doing. Not that they are passive or disengaged, but they are more like the guru on the mountaintop spreading peace and wisdom than the crusader riding to battle to promote his/her values.

I still think ISFJ makes more sense. He doesn't have the cool, rational, and detatched nature of most INTP's. He seems more emotionally driven. I don't think his interest in herbology necessarily points to INTP. It is the study of plants and herbs which probably isn't very theoretical. I think that ISFJ, the nurturing type would be very likely to be interested in something like that. I'm not saying INTP, or any other type is impossible. I just feel ISFJ is a better fit.
Neville is definitely not a J. He also doesn't have the inclination to react in the moment as Harry does (which is part of why Harry is ISFP rather than INFP). I suppose he could be INFP, but he lacks the dreamy, otherworldly quality INFPs often have, like Luna.

It's not important that herbology is what Neville likes to study, but rather that he likes to study something for its own sake rather than for how one can usefully apply it. It could be any subject, and need not be those on the theoretical end of the spectrum. I know plenty of INTP engineers (my SO is one), as well as scientists focused on theory and modelling who are TJs or even FJs.

Wouldn't Harry be INFP, not ISxP, you keep forgetting he's a magical fantasy hero, why do you think he's ISxP? I see Si in him, and more Ne.
Harry has the SP tendency to react quickly, in the moment, and to prefer this (and perhaps even do better at it) over methodical planning or doing things the way they have always been done. His inherent skill at quidditch is almost a metaphor for how he approaches life - in the moment, taking in all the sensory stimuli around, and flying by the seat of his pants. Sometimes this is just what is necessary. The rest of the time, it is good that he has folks like Hermione on his side.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
It could be. I see INFJ as the type that would strive toward a cause. INFPs change the world more by being than by doing. Not that they are passive or disengaged, but they are more like the guru on the mountaintop spreading peace and wisdom than the crusader riding to battle to promote his/her values.

Luna is difficult to type. I might lean farther towards INFP- as that defensiveness of what she holds inseparable to herself- her Fi values- is backed up through the usage of automated and only partially controlled- lesser developed Te.

Harry has the SP tendency to react quickly, in the moment, and to prefer this (and perhaps even do better at it) over methodical planning or doing things the way they have always been done. His inherent skill at quidditch is almost a metaphor for how he approaches life - in the moment, taking in all the sensory stimuli around, and flying by the seat of his pants. Sometimes this is just what is necessary. The rest of the time, it is good that he has folks like Hermione on his side.

Harry is very clearly ISFP. You don't see hardly any, if any at all, abstract analysis from him- the only time that anything even approaching the sort to be considered as such are when he is either spurred by his friends, or in which he feels there is a necessary and immediate purpose in figuring out something- gathering more real world evidence towards something(se), to support something that he has already contructed in his mind(ni) because it stimulated a potential threat to one of his core values(fi). Throughout much of the first few books, because they were written in a lighter way to attract a wider and less invested audience, the reader sees extremely heavy Se- which is used to develop an immediate connection with someone who will immediately unlock it and support it in a way compatable with the setting of the story- the extroverted complement to Harry(Ron, ESFP), who is there so that Harry can be developed beyond his (se), while still moving the story foreward. And Hermione(ESTJ), who is there to be the epitome of structure- another crutch for both the story and him.

You see more of Harry developing outside his friends as the story goes foreward and he ages. As his friends start dating, and the dynamics of the relationship changes, Harry is forced to rely on himself to develop those characteristics that he had repressed. Leading to all that anger in 5th year. As a 9w8 sx/so (I think)- it sort of makes sense.

There is the whole being able to react in the moment thing, what you said about Quidditch... Yes.

James Potter was also good at Quidditch, most type him as an ENTP, but I don't know for sure. I would say that Sirius Black is an Ne dom, probably a 7, who because he is so unhealthy has associated to become a cynical and slightly nihilistic 5- focusing and refocusing on the aspects of his youth, and recreating them- but because of 5's influence, they now have slightly darker associations. So anyways, if Sirius Black is an ENTP, then it might be that he was the one who primarily came up with the more Ne aspects of the marauders hogwarts days, and that James Potter is wholly misunderstood and that the Se might not fall far from the tree. But we really don't see much of him so it is difficult to be sure.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
James Potter was also good at Quidditch, most type him as an ENTP, but I don't know for sure. I would say that Sirius Black is an Ne dom, probably a 7, who because he is so unhealthy has associated to become a cynical and slightly nihilistic 5- focusing and refocusing on the aspects of his youth, and recreating them- but because of 5's influence, they now have slightly darker associations. So anyways, if Sirius Black is an ENTP, then it might be that he was the one who primarily came up with the more Ne aspects of the marauders hogwarts days, and that James Potter is wholly misunderstood and that the Se might not fall far from the tree. But we really don't see much of him so it is difficult to be sure.
I don't know about James, but I always saw Sirius as ESTP. The Weasley twins are the ENTPs (or perhaps an ENTP and an ENFP).

stardustrouge

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm pretty sure it goes like this (not 100%, just what I've concluded from my research and reading the series like 6 times)

Harry: ISFJ
Hermione: ISTJ
Ron: ESFP
Dumbledore: INTP
Snape: INTJ
Luna: INFP
Neville: INFP
Malfoy: ESTP
Weasley Twins: ENTP
Ginny: ESTP/ESFP not sure.
Voldemort: ENTJ
McGonagall: ESTJ
Sirius: ENTP
James: ESTP
Lily: INFJ
Lupin: INFJ/INFP not sure?? I feel like he never really was "fighting for a cause" like INFJs tend to do. He kinda was just minding his own business most of the time.
Ollivander: INTP
Lockhart: ESFJ
Slughorn: ESTJ

Anyone feel free to prove me wrong or ask questions :)