• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Then explain it if you think you're so smart.

Nope. Then I'd be derailing the thread more than I already have. I've written my type arguments for the HP characters ages ago in the appropriate threads.

Pand0ra

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Here's what I think. Some characters are so hard to type, mainly because we just don't know enough about them. I've only properly typed the ones I'm pretty sure about. How anyone can even think of typing James or Lily Potter, I don't know :shock:

As for Bellatrix, I'd hazard a guess at IxFJ. But that really is a guess!

Harry - INFP
Ron - ISFP
Hermione - ISTJ
Dumbledore - INFJ
Snape - INTJ
Hagrid - ISFJ
Sirius - ENTP
Lupin - INFP
Tonks - ExTP
Voldemort - INTJ
Draco - IxTJ
Luna - xNFP
Neville - ISFP

Weasleys:

Ginny - IxxJ
Fred & George - ENTP
Percy - ISTJ
Bill - xNTx
Charlie - IxTx
Molly - ESFJ
Arthur - INTP

Mole

Permabanned
I will never forgive Harry Potter and his friends for growing up - never, never, never!

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's what I think. Some characters are so hard to type, mainly because we just don't know enough about them. I've only properly typed the ones I'm pretty sure about. How anyone can even think of typing James or Lily Potter, I don't know :shock:

As for Bellatrix, I'd hazard a guess at IxFJ. But that really is a guess!

Harry - INFP
Ron - ISFP
Hermione - ISTJ
Dumbledore - INFJ
Snape - INTJ
Hagrid - ISFJ
Sirius - ENTP
Lupin - INFP
Tonks - ExTP
Voldemort - INTJ
Draco - IxTJ
Luna - xNFP
Neville - ISFP

how is Harry an N? you have to actually think to be an INFP.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I bumped the HP thread on the Enneagram forum earlier and thought I'd add some of my MBTI guesses here:

Harry: ISFP. Definition of Fi/Se.
Ron: ESFP. Pretty obvious.
Hermione: ISTJ.
Dumbledore: He seems almost stereotypically INFJ in most of the books, but I don't know if most INFJs would have masterminded the plan with Harry the way he did.
Lupin: INFP. INFJ is the only other viable option and he's way more Fi than Ni.
Sirius: ENFP. I think he's usually typed as an ENTP, which I used to agree with, but I think he's a little too mercurial for that.
Umbridge: Caricature of an ESTJ.
Snape: He seems like a caricature of an INTJ, although I think most INTJs would consider themselves too practical to get so completely caught up in unrequited love. Then again, I don't know how realistic the Snape/Lily scenario is PERIOD (not that I necessarily dislike it, just that it's a doubtful "real world" scenario and thus sort of untypeable)

Not sure about the Malfoys. And how are people even typing Bellatrix? She doesn't exhibit any personality traits other than being completely servile and infatuated with Voldemort. Some of the Weasleys who aren't Ron seem to correspond to some MBTI archetypes, like Fred/George as ENTPs and Molly as a ESFJ.

I think it's interesting how the main trio are all sensors but the main supporting cast seems to be pretty much all Ns.

What do you guys think about Tonks and Luna?

- NFJs are interpersonal masterminds. they're good at planning things that involve cooperation toward a common goal.
- Snape is caught up in unrequited love because he is a 4w5 sx/sp
- Voldemort actually seems like a deranged INFJ to me. his vibe is not INTJ at all. much to neurotic and personalizing. I think he's an INFJ 6w5

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harry: ISFP 6w7 sx/so
Ron: ESFP 6w7 so/sx
Hermione: ISTJ 1w2 sp/so
Dumbledore: INFJ 9w1 sx/so
McGonagal: ISTJ with kickass Fi, 1w2 sp/sx
Snape: INTJ 4w5 sx/sp
Tonks: ENFP 7w8 sx/so
Lupin: INFP 9w8 sx/sp
Neville: INFP 6w7 sx/so
Molly Weasley: ESFJ 2w1 so/sx?
Luna Lovegood: INFP 9w1 or 5w4 sx/sp
Hagrid: ISFP 9w8 sx/sp
Nearly Headless Nick: ENFJ 4w3 sp/so
Fred and George: ENTP 7w6 so/sp
The Fat Lady Picture: ENFJ 4w3 sx/sp
Trulawney: INFJ 6w5 sx/sp
Serius: ENFP 7w8 sx/so
Arthur Weasley: ENTP 5w6 so/sx

Voldemort: INFJ 6w5 sp/sx
Draco: ESTP 3w4 sp/so
Lucius: I?TJ 3w4 sp/sx
Dudley: BRAT
Vernon: ESTJ 6w7? so/sp
Petunia: ISFJ 3w4? sp/so?
Gilderoy Lockheart: ENFP 3w2 so/sx
Peter Petigrew: I?F? 6w5 sp/so

MiasmaResonance

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The fact that Snape harbored his love for Lily for such a long period of time does not make me believe it is unlikely he is an INTJ. I can definitely see an "unhealthy" INTJ acting as he did. Though they are practical about such matters on many occasions, love is a funny thing, and as Lily was Snape's one and only, she was difficult to forget. He got hung up on her because she was the only girl to ever even give him the time of day. There was no one else for him. That, and since it is possible he was a 4w5 (enneagram)..

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The fact that Snape harbored his love for Lily for such a long period of time does not make me believe it is unlikely he is an INTJ. I can definitely see an "unhealthy" INTJ acting as he did. Though they are practical about such matters on many occasions, love is a funny thing, and as Lily was Snape's one and only, she was difficult to forget. He got hung up on her because she was the only girl to ever even give him the time of day. There was no one else for him. That, and since it is possible he was a 4w5 (enneagram)..

I actually thought his feelings for her were very realistic on many levels
- he's 4w5
- he's sx/sp
- he's INTJ; she's INFP. INTJ men and INFP women tend to have wonderful chemistry
- she was his only friend. she stuck up for him and loved him unconditionally as a friend.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Noooooo! :doh:

Harry is a 1w9 Sx/Sp, fool! (facepalm)

he's the same type and subtype as Light Yagami? I don't see either Sx or So in him, but I think he's sx/so because of his complete lack of any kind of self preserving behavior. he basically just charges blindly into situations that almost get him killed. this sounds more like your stereotypical sx/so martyr

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
he's the same type and subtype as Light Yagami?

Light is not Sx/Sp. He's Sp-dom.

I don't see either Sx or So in him, but I think he's sx/so because of his complete lack of any kind of self preserving behavior. he basically just charges blindly into situations that almost get him killed. this sounds more like your stereotypical sx/so martyr

Traduction: you don't see either Sx or So in him but you type him as Sx/So based on pure cliché about that stacking. Sx/So are everything but martyr, and when a few are, they are badass like Jacques Mesrine, or Tupac Shakur, nothing to do with that bland, insipid and annoying kid of Harry Potter.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Light is not Sx/Sp. He's Sp-dom.

Traduction: you don't see either Sx or So in him but you type him as Sx/So based on pure cliché about that stacking. Sx/So are everything but martyr, and when a few are, they are badass like Jacques Mesrine, or Tupac Shakur, nothing to do with that bland, insipid and annoying kid of Harry Potter.

whups, I meant to say I don't see any Sp or So in him, I see plenty of Sx, my typing of him as sx/so was mostly because he seems Sp last

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's not Sp-last, he's very quiet and protective.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm too much bored with Harry Potter currently to analyse it, but I'm pretty sure a strong part of this is wrong.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't have an issue with Snape being classed as INTJ, but I'm having a big issue with Dumbledore as INFJ based on the last two movies/books. INFJ males are not cavalier, INTP males are... and that's what Dumbledore reveals (along with all the Ti machinations and the Ne style hints at what MIGHT happen... since Ni tends to see things as already happening, while Ne is seeing a host of possibilities and assigning them probabilities if directed by Ti). His entire last meeting with Harry in Book #7 is all about (1) good-natured warmth but not really formalized like an Fe secondary would be, it's effusive and child-like, (2) explaining with delight the truth behind everything and how it fit together as he had hoped but he wasn't really sure if it would ever happen [I consider this a hallmark of the sociable INTP, I've seen this behavior over and over], (3) providing autonomy to Harry rather than moralizing (he seems to have no care about whether Harry goes back or not, it's totally a matter of whatever Harry wants to do, and Dumbledore really has no pressure on him). INFJ really does actually have moralistic stances on that sort of thing.

Anyway, I see Dumbledore's behavior in Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows modelled naturally by my INTP male friends, but my male INFJ friends just look different behaviorally.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't have an issue with Snape being classed as INTJ, but I'm having a big issue with Dumbledore as INFJ based on the last two movies/books. INFJ males are not cavalier, INTP males are... and that's what Dumbledore reveals (along with all the Ti machinations and the Ne style hints at what MIGHT happen... since Ni tends to see things as already happening, while Ne is seeing a host of possibilities and assigning them probabilities if directed by Ti). His entire last meeting with Harry in Book #7 is all about (1) good-natured warmth but not really formalized like an Fe secondary would be, it's effusive and child-like, (2) explaining with delight the truth behind everything and how it fit together as he had hoped but he wasn't really sure if it would ever happen [I consider this a hallmark of the sociable INTP, I've seen this behavior over and over], (3) providing autonomy to Harry rather than moralizing (he seems to have no care about whether Harry goes back or not, it's totally a matter of whatever Harry wants to do, and Dumbledore really has no pressure on him). INFJ really does actually have moralistic stances on that sort of thing.

Anyway, I see Dumbledore's behavior in Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows modelled naturally by my INTP male friends, but my male INFJ friends just look different behaviorally.

actually, this makes sense. he doesn't have any FJ tendencies at all

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
DISCLAIMER: The members I matched with the respective characters have no relation to their type.

But yeah, Professor Dumbledore is an INTP (maybe even ENTP), and Snape is INTP as well (final answer). Hermione, I've decided is an INTJ (she's much more a knowledge seeker than a security seeker, not to mention she's quite abstract).
:yay: I finally get to be something cool!

actually, Hermione is, by preference, quite literal and factual. she has bursts of Ne when she needs it, but she is more comfortable sticking to proven facts, pre-synthesized information and try and true methods of problem solving. she only reinvents the wheel when required. she seems Intuitive compared to Ron and Harry because they're hormonally imbalanced, impulsive bafoons with no control over their Se.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've very rarely seen Hermione seeking membership with any group, which means she's not a Guardian. She marches to the beat of her own drum, implying she's utilitarian. And finally, she seeks knowledge and competence in all things, and this is especially evident in the third book (and to some extent, the movie), and this makes her a Rational. Her tendency to initiate causes could point toward Idealist, but I don't see it as much as Rational.