• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's a very, very fucking obvious INTJ. INFJs do not manipulate teenage boys for half their lives into fulfilling a "destiny" that will lead to their death.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I actually type him INTP in his early days, before the incident with his sister, after which he changed.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I actually type him INTP in his early days, before the incident with his sister, after which he changed.

Same. Plus his friendship with Grindelwald seemed like that perfect INTP-ENTJ "let's remake the world" tag team o' death.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dumbledore is definitely not an INTP. He has a directive communication style, whereas an INTP prefers to inform. (Compare the sentence "Be careful as you walk down those stairs," which is directive, with "Those stairs are dangerous," which is the informative version; in one case you're giving an order, and in the other you're providing information that the other person can do with as they wish.)

R

Riva

Why is he considered a INFJ? Becuase he is kind? That alone does not qualify him to be INFJ. The issue here is people who think he is INFJ hasn't given enough reasons.

This is one -

Dumbledore is definitely not an INTP. He has a directive communication style, whereas an INTP prefers to inform. (Compare the sentence "Be careful as you walk down those stairs," which is directive, with "Those stairs are dangerous," which is the informative version; in one case you're giving an order, and in the other you're providing information that the other person can do with as they wish.)

But being an informative styled communicator doesn't make you any type. Okay lets say it does. But then again almost all INTPs I know have informative communicative styles. *shrugs*. The most directive styled communicators I know are ExTJs and ESTPs. But even then I have seen on many occassions my ESTJ dad using a informative tone (rarely). What I am trying to show is the style of communication couldn't be used to type someone. It's just too much stereotyping. :)

--

And why is Dumbledore a J? Is it because he takes an active role in almost ALL events that are taking place in the wizarding world? (Except in Quiddich?.) Or is it because he is a leader who takes the lead when all others have failed? Yes, INTJs are leaders when others have failed. But are INTJs the only leaders who lead this way (when others have failed?).

No way!

On the contrary I could see a lot of in him that suggests he is a P type (INTP), using the same reasons that could be used to stereotype him in to a INTJ.

He did play an active role in events -
But he was slow to do so. He was too slow. the way he handled Grindelwald when he was playing the devil is an example. He took a hell of a long time to go and tackle him.

Ministry of Magic-
It was obvious that people who were on top were doing a bad job. And I recall that he was invited to be the head about 3 times. He refused all three invitations. And this is knowing that he should take the lead. And he was invited by others. He didn’t have to compete either.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
I'm re-reading the 7th book and he's (dumbledore's) definitely INTx

as for Hermione, I believe whatever type she was in the previous books (ranging from ISTJ to ISFJ) she seems VERRRRRRRRY InFJ in book 7... there is very little guardian in here in this book. she's very idealist-y

and my dear Harry, I say with renewed confidence, is an ISFP. and i love him.

G

Ginkgo

He's a very, very fucking obvious INTJ. INFJs do not manipulate teenage boys for half their lives into fulfilling a "destiny" that will lead to their death.

Uh... why not? Just because someone is oriented by Feeling doesn't mean they'll accommodate for the well-being of others, or an individual.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Uh... why not? Just because someone is oriented by Feeling doesn't mean they'll accommodate for the well-being of others, or an individual.
It does if their Feeling function is Fe, which is the case of INFJs. INTJs, by contrast, are Fi cand can be quite selfish.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
as for Hermione, I believe whatever type she was in the previous books (ranging from ISTJ to ISFJ) she seems VERRRRRRRRY InFJ in book 7... there is very little guardian in here in this book. she's very idealist-y
Yes, she has an unusually strong Fi function, for an ISTJ. ;) She's rather Feeling but her Feeling function is clearly not Fe given her stubbornness and obliviousness to the sensitivities and opinions of others, which eliminates xxFJ.

As for N... she doesn't show the INxJ knack for strategy, foresight or an attraction to the symbolic. She does show plenty of idealism, but idealism isn't necessarily N -- in her case it's probably Fi. She does show occasional flashes of intuition, but those are more Ne, rather than Ni. :yes:

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If Dumbledore had tried to save Harry, as you seem to think he would have done if he were an F, it would have consigned Harry to a life of perpetual flight, since Voldemort was determined to murder him. It would also have ensured Voldemort's immortality, since the one way to make him vulnerable was through Harry's death, and the result would have been an endless reign of terror. Instead Dumbledore chose to prevent all of that by guiding Harry to a point where he could calmly accept his death and save both himself and the world a great deal of pain. That isn't T-ish; only an F with very strange principles would prefer to consign everyone to hell than to see one person embrace their death in a spirit of heroism. If anything points to Dumbledore being a T, it would be the fact that power was his greatest temptation. Even that isn't a clincher, though; a quick review of history will show you that Fs are just as capable of abusing power as anyone else.

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
I'm an INFP. Quizzes keep sorting me into Gryffindor. I used to get really offended and retake it and make sure I got Ravenclaw the second time. Luna is totally an INFP, though. <3

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Both Serius and James seem more ESTP.
No, no, Sirius was ENTP as a teenager. James was ESTP. Growing up James remained ESTP but grew a heart (developing tertiary Fe), whereas Sirius shifted to ENFP due to trauma (13 years in Azkaban, etc).

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
agreed with Aleksei.

Sirius was such an ENFP in the fifth book. sdkjhdf he was so cute.

but yes more ENTP as a teen. silly boy.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) Snape: INTJ
2) Luna: INFP. there is nothing else she could possibly be. she's like a high school version of lady gaga
3) Draco: ESTP
4) Umbridge: ESTJ
5) Percy ISTJ
6) Mr. Weasley: ENTP
7) Mrs. Weasley: ESFJ

now the ones I'm uncertain of
1) Harry: definitely IFP, the thing I love the most about his is that he is a bad ass for being a good guy. everyone else wants him to follow the rules but he does what he believes is right and says fuck the rules. the thing that surprises me tho is how strong he is from such a young age. INFPs usually become exceptionally strong people, but we take a while to come around. I can relate a lot to Harry, but he has emotional strength well beyond his years. S is a possiblity because INFPs take longer to develope courage (which he was practically born with) and SPs are more impulsive. it also seems more likely for an ISFP to be NF-ish than for an INFP to be SP-ish. still, he's also great leader and his leadership style is SO NF. he also has a sort of "hero switch" that screams NFP to me, like in the last book when he finally confronts Voldemort. therefore, my best guess is INFP.
2) Voldemort: NT, probably I I would have to know more info on how he came up with his plans to know P/J.
3) Hagrid: ENFJ or ESFJ
4) Hermione: her personality is ISTJ-ish, but her intuition is strong as hell. my best guess is ESTJ with a strong teritary
5) Fred and George ENFP or ENTP: I'm gonna guess T.
6) Ron: ENFP?
7) Dumbledore: probably INFJ, but possibly INTJ or INFP. also, he's so old, his functions are all pretty good anyway so that makes him hard to type

many of the characters just don't have enough info on them to make a good guess
1) Lily: INFJ?
2) James: ESFP?
3) Lupin: INFP?
4) Tonks: ENFP?
5) Ginny: ENFJ?
6) Neville: INFP?
7) Serius: ENFP?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My take on some of these:

Lupin: INFP, in a different way from Luna

Umbridge: ESFJ; there is no logic in what she does, just alot of extraverted judgment. F's are not necessarily nice or good.

Neville: INTP; probably contraversial. It comes out more the older he gets and demonstrates his interest in herbology. If I recall the epilogue to book 7, he eventually teaches at Hogwarts.

Percy: I'd say ESTJ -- he is far too eager to get after others to follow the rules.

Mr. Weasley: a bit of a puzzle, but I'd say I over E; INTP? ISTP?

Harry: ISFP

Ron: ESFP

Hagrid: ISFJ; a caretaker who thinks with his heart

Hermione: ISTJ, with a little more emotional range than that teaspoon, probably due to the usual societal influences on girls

Finally, I would contend that Dumbledore, Voldemort, and Snape are all INTJ, though vastly different due to their different life experiences . Dumbledore as by far the oldest has had the most time/experience to develop less preferred functions, which is why he may often come across as F. Voldemort is an unhealthy example of INTJ. Snape has his unhealthy tendencies, too, but is much more functional in a "normal" sense.

On the other hand, I've seen reasonable claims that Voldemort is in fact INFJ, in the manner almost of a religious zealot, pushing his version of all that is right onto society around him. Voldemort's pureblood crusade can easily be seen in such a light. It would also explain why some of his methods seem suited more to fuel his own egomania and drive for revenge, than actually to accomplish his stated goals. Madness without overmuch method.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) Snape: INTJ
Yep

2) Luna: INFP. there is nothing else she could possibly be. she's like a high school version of lady gaga
I completely agree (They even look alike!), but I do think Lady Gaga's an extrovert.

3) Draco: ESTP
ENTJ. The way he came up with the plan on book 7 bespeaks Ni too strong for inferior, and he's a Te-organizing beast. Not a hint of charismatic leadership from him.

4) Umbridge: ESTJ
Introvert.

5) Percy ISTJ
Most likely. Or ESTJ.

6) Mr. Weasley: ENTP
I'm not sure... I think maybe he's I.

7) Mrs. Weasley: ESFJ
Yes.

now the ones I'm uncertain of

1) Harry: definitely IFP, the thing I love the most about his is that he is a bad ass for being a good guy. everyone else wants him to follow the rules but he does what he believes is right and says fuck the rules. the thing that surprises me tho is how strong he is from such a young age. INFPs usually become exceptionally strong people, but we take a while to come around. I can relate a lot to Harry, but he has emotional strength well beyond his years. S is a possiblity because INFPs take longer to develope courage (which he was practically born with) and SPs are more impulsive. it also seems more likely for an ISFP to be NF-ish than for an INFP to be SP-ish. still, he's also great leader and his leadership style is SO NF. he also has a sort of "hero switch" that screams NFP to me, like in the last book when he finally confronts Voldemort. therefore, my best guess is INFP.
Letter-based analysis doesn't work for Fi-doms, because ISFPs tend to be quite in touch with their Ni tertiary. Harry's clearly an Se/Ni rather than Ne/Si.

2) Voldemort: NT, probably I I would have to know more info on how he came up with his plans to know P/J.
Voldemort- ENTJ.

3) Hagrid: ENFJ or ESFJ
Introvert. He's quite content to spend the vast majority of his life lounging around in his cabin, or stalking the grounds (alone). His best friends are giant, hideous monsters.

4) Hermione: her personality is ISTJ-ish, but her intuition is strong as hell. my best guess is ESTJ with a strong teritary
Ehh, I think her Fi is stronger (I think her Fi is unnaturally strong for an ISTJ in fact). SPEW, anyone?

5) Fred and George ENFP or ENTP: I'm gonna guess T.
Obvious ENTP, 7w6 sx/sp.

6) Ron: ENFP?
ESFP.

7) Dumbledore: probably INFJ, but possibly INTJ or INFP. also, he's so old, his functions are all pretty good anyway so that makes him hard to type
INTJ magnificent bastard, writ large.

1) Lily: INFJ?
Yes.

2) James: ESFP?
ESTP.

3) Lupin: INFP?
Exceptionally nice INTJ.

4) Tonks: ENFP?
Yep.

5) Ginny: ENFJ?
I don't see any Fe coming out of her -- not any J-ishness for that matter. ENFP.

6) Neville: INFP?
Probably.

7) Serius: ENFP?
Indeed, though jail probably mellowed him. Young Sirius was an ENTP Fred/George expy.

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
My turn ;D

Harry: ISFP, but he got toughen up with the Dursleys
Ron: ESTP
Hermione: ISFJ

Mr. Weasley = ISTP
Mrs. Weasley: ESFJ
Ginny: ESFJ
Fred/George: ENFP and ENTP (they cant be EXACTLY the same D: )
Percy: ESTJ
Charlie: ISFP :D
Bill: ISTP :D (random guesses hehe)
Voldemort: 100% INTJ. He's not an extrovert. He always wanted to do his things alone.
Dumbledore: INTJ

Gilderoy Lockhart: ENTJ
Draco: ENTJ (i think i'm obsessed by NTJ...)
Pettigrow: ISTJ

Vernon: ESTJ
Petunia: ISTJ
Dudley: ESTP

Lavander: ESFP
Cho: ESFP

Flitwick: ENFP (Total bias!)
McGonagall: ESFJ

Neville: INFP
Luna: INTP? Altough she seems more like a NF-But-Not-F o_O
Colin Crivey: ESFP :D
Hagrid: like everyone said ISFJ

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
hey guys, I'm in dire need of getting attention that I can't receive off the internet. I think the best way to do this is by saying that..
harry=estp.

:jew: