• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm seriously curious what this "tearing to shreds" will entail, because if it's more lists of Se characteristics + insistence that they make Harry a T (with no actual analysis explaining the supposed presence of Ti or Fe), I'm gonna pretty be disappointed.

But not surprised.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESTP is the worst read for Harry Potter I've ever heard...obviously, obviously, obviously ISFP. Wtf are you people thinking?
According to what? You? :laugh:

Impulsive streak, sure, that's P, fine. But keeping a cool head in stressful situations is in no way associated with T above F. That's simply Se being quickly adaptable and responsive to its immediate surroundings, trusting its instincts.
That's not how Se is defined. Se is defined as attentiveness to detail and one's surroundings. Many Se-dom and Se-auxiliary people are indeed far, far from cool-headed. Jocks who shove nerds into lockers (Who are mostly Se-Ti or Ti-Se) jump to mind.

He dumps Ginny because he feels a moral obligation to keep her out of the danger that would come with her constantly being around him. Virtually all of Harry's reasoning in every single situation throughout the entire series is based on his strong sense of personal ethics based on how he personally feels about what's going on. He's classic SFP: Look into your heart to know what's right, then act on your gut feelings about what seems like the best course of action at the current moment.
Yes, he dumped her because he would put her in danger, based on a rational analysis of the situation fueled by Fe motivation; thinking underpinned by Fe, which Harry oozes out of the pores (his whole goddamn motivation is saving the world, even his friends have noted it). A higher Fi user would not have dumped his girl to go gallivanting off to save the world, he would have taken his girlfriend and his friends away from danger. That's what I'd have done, being myself an Fi-aux.

And then to put the final nail in the coffin, let's assume that he is Fi. By your own observations his Thinking function is too prominently displayed to be inferior, and he shows little, if any, Ni; thus making him Se Fi Te Ni, as opposed to Fi Se Ni Te. ESFP rather than ISFP. If I'm wrong (and I'm not) then that still doesn't make you (ot the other ten thousand people who think he's ISFP) right. :newwink:

You lose. :woot:

Harry shows virtually zero Ti throughout the entire series, and the only "ESTP" characteristics he has are Se ones that are common among all SP types.
His prowess in Defense Against the Dark Arts is quite Ti-driven. He's very good at mastering hexes, counterspells and the like. Ti is less visible because it plays a supporting role to his Se attentiveness (He's Se-dom rather than Se-aux), but it's there.

He's depressed when he's at the Dursleys' because the Dursleys are fucking pricks, not because he's an extrovert.
Putting the cart before the horse. My argument is not that that proves extroversion, but rather that it does nothing to disprove it.

He enjoys being around a few close friends, but is clearly uncomfortable with large crowds and being around new people. He's shy as all hell around girls he's interested in and he rarely speaks up at all except when his strong personal morals have been violated (blatantly Fi.)
Shyness isn't a sign of introversion, it's simply a sign of fear of rejection. Extroverts can be shy, and they quite commonly are. Harry is actually quite readily sociable despite his shyness.

He hates being in the public eye and despises all the constant attention he gets from the life of fame that he never asked for.
Okay. One minute he's just some poor orphan kid who lives with his idiot aunt and uncle. The next he's some celebrity with annoying camera-carrying kids constantly pestering him and everyone knowing his name. Wouldn't anyone be a bit... erm... weirded out by that? Especially if you're famous because your parents died, and you supposedly have some sort of destiny that you don't think you can live up to?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't why but when you get angry I get amused by it :devil: . I agree with you about Harry being an ESTP. :yes:

Hermoine - ISTJ ?
Ron - ESFP ?
Finally someone with some sense. :yes: Hermione and Ron as ESFP and ISTJ is exactly right.

This is not a good argument.
That wasn't an argument. ;)

T-F... while, indeed showing emotion doesn't necessarily make you 'non-T', I disagree with your "leaving Ginny" argument. He leaves Ginny behind because he fears he's a danger to her. Actually, the rational course of action would be 'take Ginny on your quest': she's a very strong witch, and having her on the quest would make the chance of success bigger (not in the least because Harry will know for who he's fighting) - and the chance of survival for both of them. But Harry would rather have the quest fail than suffer the thought she'd be in danger.
This is true, but it's distinctly Fe as opposed to Fi. Harry wants to save everyone, and naturally his significant other would be near the top of the list. Thus, taking stock of the situation he decided that, against his own feelings on the matter, he would dump her and go save the world.

ESTP.... Not a likely Harry Potter type.

henryrollins.jpg
raylewis.jpg

madonna_pb.jpg
queen%20latifah%2005.jpg

Even if they aren't ESTP, they are a bit closer to it.

I can identify another ESTP... they resonate in a certain way... Harry Potter isn't an ESTP :rolli:
Enneagram plays a part here (Enneagram being more closely correlated with outwardly displayed behavior than Jungian type). Most ESTPs are infectiously fun-loving, hyperactive 7s; whereas Harry is instead a 3 (a type more commonly found in ENTPs and in SJs as opposed to SPs). Harry's dad, an ESTP 7w6 to Harry's ESTP 3w2, gives more ESTP-ish vibes than Harry.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Harry Potter is not ESTP at all. Compare him to the Weasley twins to see how outrageous that typing is (they're ExTPs...or at least one of them is.) He is NOTHING like them.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Weasley Twins are ENTP, not ESTP. They're more concerned with pranks and mischievousness rather than sports, and they're neither 3s nor carry the hero mantle on their shoulders.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The Weasley Twins are ENTP, not ESTP.

Yeah, but notice how little Harry is like them. If he were ESTP he would at least share their same outgoingness. In the book, Harry was often wearied by their energy and constant playfulness.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess this is pointless if Sim is out, but still...

Every post I've seen you make regarding type theory has been absolutely horrible.

I believe last time you were insisting that childishness is inherently Fi and cannot be Fe, and that (somehow???) trying to win arguments is purely Te and cannot ever be Ti.

Seriously, you insisted that Ti doesn't try to win arguments.
No I didn't. My view on the matter is that Te cares solely about winning, whereas Ti cares about the truth and logic. Thus Te would try to win at all costs (as opposed to just trying to win cleanly), and would resort to dirty tactics like window-dressing, distortion (which I detected in the graveyard thread), and outright demagoguery. That's why politicians (mostly Te) shamelessly lie their ass off and people swallow it.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, but notice how little Harry is like them. If he were ESTP he would at least share their same outgoingness. In the book, Harry was often wearied by their energy and constant playfulness.
No he wasn't, not beyond the natural physical weariness that accompanies exercise. The guy played Quiddich and was quite passionate about it, remember. He loved action and activity.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
No he wasn't, not beyond the natural physical weariness that accompanies exercise. The guy played Quiddich and was quite passionate about it, remember. He loved action and activity.

Yes, so what? There was more to his character than Quiddich, which, by itself, only illustrates that he was of the SP temperament. In other contexts he would avoid the twins or be annoyed by them, and it wasn't because he was exhausted from exercise.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, so what? There was more to his character than Quiddich, which, by itself, only illustrates that he was of the SP temperament.
True, but the way he handled himself in DADA class suggests Se Ti use.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
True, but the way he handled himself in DADA class suggests Se Ti use.

How does it illustrate Ti? He didn't care for the theory at all. He only liked to use the spells in the practical portion, which I agree would be Se.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How does it illustrate Ti? He didn't care for the theory at all. He only liked to use the spells in the practical portion, which I agree would be Se.

Use is Se:yes:, practical not so much in regard to the common use of the term "practical". I would even go so far as to question Ti as practical. Ti leans more towards realistic as opposed to practical.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ti isn't so much theory as it is deduction and specification, which he did show during trials in the course. Hermione cared more for the theory, but not at all for the practical portion - and note that she is far more Te than Ti.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Take, for example, the Prisoner of Azkaban - Lupin offered no rule guide for how to get through his trials. Students had to figure it all out on their own. Harry aced it, by easily figuring out how to deal with each individual creature.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Take, for example, the Prisoner of Azkaban - Lupin offered no rule guide for how to get through his trials. Students had to figure it all out on their own. Harry aced it, by easily figuring out how to deal with each individual creature.

The trials were pretty vaguely described in the book. I don't see how the fact that he did exceptionally well on them indicates Ti.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The trials were pretty vaguely described in the book. I don't see how the fact that he did exceptionally well on them indicates Ti.
I, erm, just told you. Lupin said absolutely nothing about how to complete the trials (meaning they were a test of wit as opposed to just raw magical prowess). Harry just made the connections himself. Furthermore, I just demonstrated Harry is Fe-tertiary, so it logically follows he has to be Ti-auxiliary. And that is not to mention his Te is absolute shit. Hermione constantly berates him for his lack of organization.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Lots of non-Se characters play Quidditch. Harry is quite an SP, but "he plays Quidditch" doesn't have a lot to do with why.
True... look at the ENTP Weasley twins. (I surely hope you can agree they're ENTPs?!) But Harry feels completely at home and okay when out there, on a broom... It was the first thing he could do without being taught. I was referring to the way he enjoys Quidditch, not at the fact he plays it.

Okay. Fi-Te or Ti-Fe? I'm leaning towards Fi-Te (so SFP) again. Why?

He is able to decide upon what needs to be done. True. But that's Te, not Ti. Ti concerns itself with being right, not with reaching goals.
Which goals? Stopping someone who has killed his parents? Keeping Ginny safe rather than having a strong witch on your side? Fi there.
He isn't keeping Ginny safe because he "ought" to (Fe) ... it's because he loves her.

Alexei's arguments made me hesitate between E and I. Well, anybody (not just an E) would feel lonely when alone for two months. He doesn't share his problems and grief (he always says he's "fine" on his letters) - he feels the need to be strong and not impose himself on his friends.
He doesn't capitalize on his fame (regardless of what Snape and Lockhart say of him) and rather resents the spotlights.

I'd keep ISFP.

Edit to add answer:
And that is not to mention his Te is absolute shit. Hermione constantly berates him for his lack of organization.
Lack of organization is a sign of P; not a sign of lacking Te. Fe can organize too. Ask any FJ.
Of course, compared to Hermione (ISTJ), few people are organized.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay. Fi-Te or Ti-Fe? I'm leaning towards Fi-Te (so SFP) again. Why?

He is able to decide upon what needs to be done. True. But that's Te, not Ti. Ti concerns itself with being right, not with reaching goals.
Which goals? Stopping someone who has killed his parents? Keeping Ginny safe rather than having a strong witch on your side? Fi there.
He isn't keeping Ginny safe because he "ought" to (Fe) ... it's because he loves her.
True. The fact he loves her and wants to keep her out of harm's way alone doesn't prove Fe. It's the fact he wants to save everyone else as well that does, a higher Fi user in that situation would likely think of himself and those close to him, exclusively.

Alexei's arguments made me hesitate between E and I. Well, anybody (not just an E) would feel lonely when alone for two months. He doesn't share his problems and grief (he always says he's "fine" on his letters) - he feels the need to be strong and not impose himself on his friends.
He doesn't capitalize on his fame (regardless of what Snape and Lockhart say of him) and rather resents the spotlights.

I'd keep ISFP.
Well, this is true, but see my little addendum. Regardless of whether he's Ti/Fe or Te/Fi, the fact is that he feels a sense of duty and an impulse to save others underpinning his motivations -- which even Sim admitted but attributed to Te as opposed to Fe (I disagree, but let's leave that aside for now). The point is that he has an extroverted Judging function asa a tertiary, which means he cannot possibly be an introvert (as his Je would thus be inferior). Thus logically, ISFP makes no sense whatsoever. he must be either ESTP, or ESFP.