User Tag List

Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and MBTI

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Many of her plans were driven by Te and Fi. An ISFJ is more of an immediate planner, they don't sit back to think of the best possible workable solution. They head right in to iron the emotional conflicts.
    My very hazy memories of what Hermione's involvement with S.P.E.W entailed give me the feeling that her motivations were more emotionally based than logically based. I'll need to actually go back and look at the facts before I can back up that gut feeling though.

MBTI
    INFJ

Here's a little nugget I found:

“But she was frightened!” Hermione burst out angrily glaring at Mr. Crouch “Your elf’s scared of heights and those wizards in masks were levitating people! You can’t blame her for wanting to get out there.
    That's the first quote I could find from Hermione in relation to her involvement with S.P.E.W. It seems to me that she was clearly taking an F standpoint there, empathizing with the elf.

Whether that's an ISFJ's Fe or an ISTJ's tertiary Fi is up for debate.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFob View Post
    My very hazy memories of what Hermione's involvement with S.P.E.W entailed give me the feeling that her motivations were more emotionally based than logically based. I'll need to actually go back and look at the facts before I can back up that gut feeling though.
    No problem.

[My interpretation: (Si) pondering about the community. (Fi+Si) wants to values to match to a recent system. (Fi) Fighting for individual rights. Doesn't strive to get her values to match others as a Fe user would.]

Fi: Values are not affected by external influences.
    Fe: Values depend on how other people feel about it. (Clearly the elves didn't appreciate her cause, yet she continued to carry them through.)
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    INFJ

Doesn't strive to get her values to match others as a Fe user would.]
    I remember her doing that quite a bit, actually. Wasn't Hermione constantly judging other people who talked down on House Elves and treated them poorly? Wasn't she constantly trying to tell them how wrong they were to do so? That seems like textbook Fe to me. If only I had my goblet of fire copy handy with me so that I could pull out a little army of quotes to back this up...

Senior Member Array Nonsensical's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Did you read the last book? It portrayed Dumbledore as being someone cared more about manipulating the people involved in his 'master plans' than he did about how those people actually felt. It's the textbook definition of how T's operate. His consideration of how he could 'use' people in his master scheme took precedence over his consideration of how those people would be emotionally effected by the situation. T over F. It's that simple, really.
    "I have read all books more times than I can count, a few times even trying to see him as a different type, but can't."

I can see that, but I can still see an F doing such a thing. It was for the betterment of humanity. It would have been glorious, and he knew Harry wouldn't have resisted. Sure, it could have been a T-like tendency, but it was for something of a greater value.

You have your opinion, and I have mine. Neither is wrong, or necessarily right.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

I remember her doing that quite a bit, actually. If only I had my goblet of fire copy handy with me so that I could pull out a little army of quotes to back this up...
    Yeah, what would also help is to define the differences between Si and Fe in those quotes. They can arrive to the same conclusions. (Same ends, separate intentions & processes.) If you can firmly support Hermione being an ISFJ, I'll switch sides.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

That's the thing though, an IxTJ will (at least some of the time) draw motivations from their Fi. How they implement those will be logical, but the motivations themselves will be quite emotionally based.

I remember her doing that quite a bit, actually. Wasn't Hermione constantly judging other people who talked down on House Elves and treated them poorly? Wasn't she constantly trying to tell them how wrong they were to do so? That seems like textbook Fe to me. If only I had my goblet of fire copy handy with me so that I could pull out a little army of quotes to back this up...
    Also, if you've ever known as ISTJ they can be pretty judgemental But like Lethe said it's a function of Si+Fi internal values.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INFJ

I can see that, but I can still see an F doing such a thing. It was for the betterment of humanity. It would have been glorious, and he knew Harry wouldn't have resisted. Sure, it could have been a T-like tendency, but it was for something of a greater value.
    It was for the betterment of humanity, but I would see an INFJ and INTJ going about it differently.

An INFJ would've felt terrible about using people the way Dumbledore did. And yet, when Dumbledore talked about the way he had been manipulating everyone and stringing people along in Deathly Hallows, he seemed quite indifferent. Or maybe that's just my memory failing me.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Whether that's an ISFJ's Fe or an ISTJ's tertiary Fi is up for debate.
    Well thanks for clarifying nothing. I expect most quotes that anyone digs up regarding Hermione's "emotionality" will be equally as helpful. This is a matter of interpretation, not of simply digging to find the answer in the book.

I think Hermione is ISTJ. I made this determination based on the aspects of her personality that she is most adept at and has the most control over. In her case, I think it is fairly clear that she is far more adept at logically working things out than at handling her emotions (hence, the embarrassing outbursts). So instead of trying to interpret whether specific instances of her behavior count as Fi or Fe, and then using that information as a determination of which "F" function she uses and its place in the function stack, and then finally determining her type from there, I find it far more helpful to try and track her overall behavioral pattern.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Senior Member Array Nonsensical's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

If Hermione was an INTJ, she would have been in Ravenclaw.

Her Fe (yes, I think she does have one!) is what makes her a Gryffindor IN MY OPINION.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast