• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
How they implement those will be logical
How did Hermione's implementation of her plans strike you as being more logical than emoitonal?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It was for the betterment of humanity, but I would see an INFJ and INTJ going about it differently.

An INFJ would've felt terrible about using people the way Dumbledore did. And yet, when Dumbledore talked about the way he had been manipulating everyone and stringing people along in Deathly Hallows, he seemed quite indifferent. Or maybe that's just my memory failing me.

Not every single one of his actions was Ni Fe based. He probably could have had some INTP-like plans, but if you take a step back and see why he did it, and the passion that he radiated with every single moment through it, it can lead to an INFJ.

Types don't have that much power over a person. We can do things that are irrational to our preferences. This was on such a larger scale, that of course his type wouldn't show clearly through the troubles effacing everyone in DH.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well thanks for clarifying nothing. I expect most quotes that anyone digs up regarding Hermione's "emotionality" will be equally as helpful. This is a matter of interpretation, not of simply digging to find the answer in the book.
We need something to interpret, don't we?

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well thanks for clarifying nothing. I expect most quotes that anyone digs up regarding Hermione's "emotionality" will be equally as helpful. This is a matter of interpretation, not of simply digging to find the answer in the book.

Yes, there is no one right answer or truth. However, what makes literary debates intriguing is deciding which interpretation has the best support.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
How did Hermione's implementation of her plans strike you as being more logical than emoitonal?

Ugh, like you I'm having a hard time remembering specifics. I don't see anything about it that wasn't logical though. She started knitting them clothing (because clothing is a symbol of their freedom, not to keep them warm and toasty or anything), she tried to raise awareness and support for the cause with badges and by talking about it. That is frequently how one would attempt to implement such a campaign, right?

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
and the passion that he radiated with every single moment through it, it can lead to an INFJ.
It could've also led to a VERY well-developed tertiary Fi. And I think we've already established that Dumbledore's Fi was, indeed, spectacularly well-developed.

Dumbledore showed VERY strong F and VERY strong T. That's undeniable. The questions is, what makes you so sure that the F took precedence over the T?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Maybe, but Hermione was a very emotional-oriented girl. She was strict with herself and a stickler for rules through the first few books, but her emotional instability and passion was clear as day especially into the last book. She didn't really find a lot of logic in Harry and what he did, but she stayed by his side, hardly questioning his motives, and risked her life numerous times in his name. To me, it seems like a clear INFJ thing to do. An INTJ would seem to have a harder time leaving school to run around with a friend with no clear plan or anything.

And I think Hermione is the definition of Fe. Seriously, how does she not show a hair of Fe?

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
She started knitting them clothing (because clothing is a symbol of their freedom, not to keep them warm and toasty or anything)
That's Fe right there. Creating some kind of symbol or metaphor to represent an emotional value like freedom is Fe.

she tried to raise awareness and support for the cause with badges and by talking about it. That is frequently how one would attempt to implement such a campaign, right?
It is how one would implement such a campaign. I would think that an F and a T alike would be able to look at a campaign like that and realize that the most effective way to carry it out would be to make sure that as many people as possible know about it. The archetypal Fe-leaders like MLK and Gandhi tried their best to spread their message far and wide. So, I don't think raising awareness can indicate a preference for either F or T.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It could've also led to a VERY well-developed tertiary Fi. And I think we've already established that Dumbledore's Fi was, indeed, spectacularly well-developed.

Dumbledore showed VERY strong F and VERY strong T. That's undeniable. The questions is, what makes you so sure that the F took precedence over the T?

What makes you think the T took precedence over the F? Dumbeldore was over 100 years old, and perhaps one of the most wise figures I have read in any piece of literature (maybe even more than Gandalf). I think it's safe to say he was a J, as he was organized with his plans and an amazing schemer. Not saying INTPs don't have this ability, but Dumbeldore would have gotten so side tracked with Harry during their discussions.

Dumbeldore would have had many experiences and years to prim up each of his functions, it makes him who he is, but underneath, I personally see him as an INFJ, a pure perfectionist with one tiny thorn. But I won't rule out what you think, for the reasons given.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
That's Fe right there. Creating some kind of symbol or metaphor to represent an emotional value like freedom is Fe.

It is how one would implement such a campaign. I would think that an F and a T alike would be able to look at a campaign like that and realize that the most effective way to carry it out would be to make sure that as many people as possible know about it. The archetypal Fe-leaders like MLK and Gandhi tried their best to spread their message far and wide. So, I don't think raising awareness can indicate a preference for either F or T.

I concur.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Maybe, but Hermione was a very emotional-oriented girl. She was strict with herself and a stickler for rules through the first few books, but her emotional instability and passion was clear as day especially into the last book. She didn't really find a lot of logic in Harry and what he did, but she stayed by his side, hardly questioning his motives, and risked her life numerous times in his name. To me, it seems like a clear INFJ thing to do. An INTJ would seem to have a harder time leaving school to run around with a friend with no clear plan or anything.

And I think Hermione is the definition of Fe. Seriously, how does she not show a hair of Fe?

Wait...are you arguing INFJ for Hermione?

That's crazy talk. She reeks of SJ for exactly the reasons you mention: loyalty and adherence to inner standards which could very well mean dropping out of school to support her friend in his very important cause.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Ehh not really. Symbol and metaphor are more N territory than Fe territory, I don't think it means anything. And she didn't create the symbol, the symbol already existed because that's how house elves are freed.

Yup, so basically I don't think it's that good of an example. I just think it's important to note that SPEW doesn't even remotely disqualify her from being T.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

That's crazy talk. She reeks of SJ for exactly the reasons you mention: loyalty and adherence to inner standards which could very well mean dropping out of school to support her friend in his very important cause.

The worst practice of Ni: Criticizing Harry for not following the 'rules' in the standard potions book (HBP). Ni doesn't care about the regulations, it depends on their inner intuition and getting right to the end point.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

I was necessarily pointing to INFJ or ISFJ (I see her as either one) but was arguing INTJ. I think someone was claiming her as an INTJ or ISTJ, might have been you even.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
The worst practice of Ni: Criticizing Harry for not following the 'rules' in the standard potions book (HBP). Ni doesn't care about the regulations, it depends on their inner intuition and getting right to the end point.

see above.

Plus, she uses Ni in the last few books. She's definitely the plotter between the trio.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ehh not really. Symbol and metaphor are more N territory than Fe territory, I don't think it means anything. And she didn't create the symbol, the symbol already existed because that's how house elves are freed.
Yes, I remember now. Hermione started hiding those clothes around the houserooms trying to trick the house elves into picking them up. I completely forgot about that. That does seem more T than F.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram

Lol yea I'd crack up if I heard that kind of thing come out of an Ni dom's mouth. I mean, we can definitely be a little uptight, but not like that.

Yes, I remember now. Hermione started hiding those clothes around the houserooms trying to trick the house elves into picking them up. I completely forgot about that. That does seem more T than F.
Haha, yes, us T's and our sneaking around :D

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I was necessarily pointing to INFJ or ISFJ (I see her as either one) but was arguing INTJ. I think someone was claiming her as an INTJ or ISTJ, might have been you even.

My dear you should really try looking at previous posts. I was arguing ISTJ. I don't think anyone was arguing INTJ. What exactly are you saying she is?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Is it safe to say she was more of an ISFJ in the first few books, and then slightly converted to INFJ in the last? Rowling could have re-characterized her because she needed Hermione to be a bit more of an N to get Harry through it all.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
My dear you should really try looking at previous posts. I was arguing ISTJ. I don't think anyone was arguing INTJ. What exactly are you saying she is?

I skim. LOL. My bad.