Thread: Harry Potter and MBTI

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    He has an Ni penchant for solving problems in mysterious ways no one else could figure out. For example, in the third book he saw the Marauder's map and just from that he extrapolated that Sirius was innocent and Peter was alive and guilty. That, and his beliefs are quite personal -- certainly Fi rather than Fe. He's the nicest INTJ ever.
    Really? If you think the bolded was an example of "solving problems in mysterious ways" then I'm seriously sad for you. When he confiscated the Marauder's map from Harry and learned that Peter Pettigrew was still alive (which, BTW, he did not divine from the map itself...Harry told him he'd seen Pettigrew on it, and Lupin probably witnessed it himself after gaining possession of the map) and running around in Hogwarts (contrary to the "official" story that Pettigrew was dead and had been murdered...by Sirius) it wasn't much of a leap to think that Sirius had been framed.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

I bumped the HP thread on the Enneagram forum earlier and thought I'd add some of my MBTI guesses here:

Harry: ISFP. Definition of Fi/Se.
    Ron: ESFP. Pretty obvious.
    Hermione: ISTJ.
    Dumbledore: He seems almost stereotypically INFJ in most of the books, but I don't know if most INFJs would have masterminded the plan with Harry the way he did.
    Lupin: INFP. INFJ is the only other viable option and he's way more Fi than Ni.
    Sirius: ENFP. I think he's usually typed as an ENTP, which I used to agree with, but I think he's a little too mercurial for that.
    Umbridge: Caricature of an ESTJ.
    Snape: He seems like a caricature of an INTJ, although I think most INTJs would consider themselves too practical to get so completely caught up in unrequited love. Then again, I don't know how realistic the Snape/Lily scenario is PERIOD (not that I necessarily dislike it, just that it's a doubtful "real world" scenario and thus sort of untypeable)

Not sure about the Malfoys. And how are people even typing Bellatrix? She doesn't exhibit any personality traits other than being completely servile and infatuated with Voldemort. Some of the Weasleys who aren't Ron seem to correspond to some MBTI archetypes, like Fred/George as ENTPs and Molly as a ESFJ.

I think it's interesting how the main trio are all sensors but the main supporting cast seems to be pretty much all Ns.

What do you guys think about Tonks and Luna?

Senior Member Array Jade Curtiss's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by theplacesyoullgo View Post
    I bumped the HP thread on the Enneagram forum earlier and thought I'd add some of my MBTI guesses here:

Dumbledore: He seems almost stereotypically INFJ in most of the books, but I don't know if most INFJs would have masterminded the plan with Harry the way he did.
    Sirius: ENFP. I think he's usually typed as an ENTP, which I used to agree with, but I think he's a little too mercurial for that.
    Snape: He seems like a caricature of an INTJ, although I think most INTJs would consider themselves too practical to get so completely caught up in unrequited love. Then again, I don't know how realistic the Snape/Lily scenario is PERIOD (not that I necessarily dislike it, just that it's a doubtful "real world" scenario and thus sort of untypeable)

Not sure about the Malfoys. And how are people even typing Bellatrix? She doesn't exhibit any personality traits other than being completely servile and infatuated with Voldemort. Some of the Weasleys who aren't Ron seem to correspond to some MBTI archetypes, like Fred/George as ENTPs and Molly as a ESFJ.

I think it's interesting how the main trio are all sensors but the main supporting cast seems to be pretty much all Ns.

What do you guys think about Tonks and Luna?
    What? ENTPs are probably the most mercurial of all types.

I agree with the rest of your typings, including Fred/George as ENTPs and Molly as ESFJ.

Bellatrix: I would guess ESTP.
    Arthur Weasley: Seems like a cross between ESFJ and ENTP; Fe+Ne are his most obvious functions.
    Draco: ESTP?
    Tonks: ExFP
    Luna: INFP stereotype (one of the INFP stereotypes, anyway, they have quite a few. She's the dreamy, cloudcuckoolander variant)
    The mind shows only what is near the heart - Elder Edda

Ti>Fi>Ne>>>Si>Te>Se>Ni>>>Fe - LII - 5w4 sp/sx 5w4-4w5-1w9
    |R|cUeI - Phlegmatic/Melancholic - Mystic - Neutral Good

Yeah, I don't know about Sirius, really. I was sold on ENTP for a while. Why do you think he's T over F? Do his decisions really come from a rational place? (I'm not being rhetorical, genuinely asking.) He just seems so overtly emotional in the fifth book in a way that I'm not sure most ENTPs would get, and he's so relationship/loyalty-oriented. But I do think it's odd to think of him being of an NF temperament (if you buy into that theory). Hm.

If Bellatrix's defining (really only) characteristic is being totally slavish to Voldemort, I'm not sure an ESTP would stick around like that. I think she's way easier to Ennea-type than MBTI type.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've always thought of Hermione as some sort of a pushy FJ
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Agreed. Interesting they are all atypical for gender on T/F.

Agreed. I'd say INTJ. Voldemort seems more INFJ, since he's on a huge (im)moral crusade, and his planning shows little Te.

I agree on Lupin, but see Sirius as more ESTP, and Umbridge ESFJ. F types can be evil, too.

My favorite. Not so much a caricature, but an atypical INTJ, perhaps even "unhealthy", whatever that means. I can see the connection with Lily. His attachment may have been frozen by the whole Death Eater experience leading to her death. Had none of that happened, he might have moved on more readily.

Not sure about the Malfoys. And how are people even typing Bellatrix? She doesn't exhibit any personality traits other than being completely servile and infatuated with Voldemort.
    Malfoys seem E/ISTJ. Bellatrix is ESFP - instinct, sensation seeking, driven by her own twisted Fi values (F's can be evil).

Luna is INFP; not sure about Tonks.
    I thought I would try this. Please provide feedback if you are so inclined. (Thanks)

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant." ~~ Harlan Ellison

Senior Member Array Jade Curtiss's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post

Agreed. I'd say INTJ. Voldemort seems more INFJ, since he's on a huge (im)moral crusade, and his planning shows little Te.

I agree on Lupin, but see Sirius as more ESTP, and Umbridge ESFJ. F types can be evil, too.

Malfoys seem E/ISTJ. Bellatrix is ESFP - instinct, sensation seeking, driven by her own twisted Fi values (F's can be evil).
    Voldemort as a twisted INFJ is an interesting thought, I could see that. However I would still type Dumbledore as INFJ. He obviously uses Ti rather than Te; I would type him as INTP before INTJ. And I don't think an INTJ would come off as warm and affirming as Dumbledore does.

Actually I could agree with Sirius as an ESTP, now that I think about it more. Both his rogueish, mischievous antics as a student, and those similar qualities that carried into his adult life are typical of ESTPs. As for whether his decisions come from a rational place as theplacesyoullgo was asking, TBH I don't remember many of the specifics from the fifth book, or third for that matter. He obviously cared a great deal for Harry but I don't see that as necessarily indicative of Fi. He had few others to care about, and was also almost certianly a primary sx variant which can sometimes make people seem Fi-ish.

As for Umbridge I had always considered her an evil ESFJ too, but now I'm thinking she could be ESTJ. She's obsessed with "The Rules", quoting long-forgotten/unenforced rules in an effort to obtain perfect order. The Je dominance in her is obvious, and I think many may assume it to be Fe in part because of her appearance, gender, and benevolent, "prim-and-proper" facade. But her obsession with external organization and efficiency (and the law) to the detriment of other people is soon apparent - Te. Also consider the interaction styles, in which she is most certainly 'In-Charge' (ESTJ) rather than 'Get Things Going' (ESFJ). She definitely shows examples of both Te and Fe, and I think she's a borderline case of an ESxJ (also a 1w2 so/sp which doesn't really help matters). Which sounds more like Umbridge; "organizing and monitoring people and things to work efficiently and productively", or " being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate...adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along"??

As for Bellatrix, I'm going to agree with Coriolis and say ESFP does fit slightly better than ESTP regarding her obsessive Fi dedication.
    The mind shows only what is near the heart - Elder Edda

Ti>Fi>Ne>>>Si>Te>Se>Ni>>>Fe - LII - 5w4 sp/sx 5w4-4w5-1w9
    |R|cUeI - Phlegmatic/Melancholic - Mystic - Neutral Good

Jade Curtiss, you're really skilled and clear in your writing, thanks. I agree with you with Dumbledore as INFJ overall -- can't see an INTJ being as warm or as whimsical as he is (not that INFJs are necessarily particularly whimsical, but certainly more than your stereotypical INTJ).

Sirius as a particularly intense sx ESTP actually sounds quite right. Don't know why I didn't think of it before, I think I'd always seen him typed as ENTP so didn't even consider the possible S. But he's outgoing, highly excitable, fun-loving (especially in his younger years), impulsive, a real doer -- much more forceful with his actions (Se) than his ideas (Ne), a real risk-taker. High Se could make him ESFP I suppose, but I don't think he was really warm enough for that.

Umbridge is a total ESTJ - completely Te without any underlying intuition, doesn't really care about the feelings of others. ESTJ is the stereotypical middle-manager type, which she essentially is.

Saint Nicololololas Array The Ü™'s Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

DISCLAIMER: The members I matched with the respective characters have no relation to their type.

But yeah, Professor Dumbledore is an INTP (maybe even ENTP), and Snape is INTP as well (final answer). Hermione, I've decided is an INTJ (she's much more a knowledge seeker than a security seeker, not to mention she's quite abstract).

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Voldemort: Anyone that's gotten banned and had a long tribute thread
    I finally get to be something cool!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    But yeah, Professor Dumbledore is an INTP (maybe even ENTP), and Snape is INTP as well (final answer). Hermione, I've decided is an INTJ (she's much more a knowledge seeker than a security seeker, not to mention she's quite abstract).
    Whoa, that's some pretty awful typing there.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness