• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

Doomkid

OHHHHHH, I see how you're doing this, with dichotomies. Well, you got IP right, anyway.

Why do you say Harry is quick to get the underlying meaning of things? I find he spends most of each book not knowing what the hell is going on. He never seems to connect the dots. Also, there's no way I can see Harry mentally tinkering with a system, or fussing over semantics, or caring about academic pursuits. The only classes he likes are the ones with obvious practical/action-oriented applications (Defence Against the Dark Arts and Flying). The boy likes quidditch, fighting evil, and standing up for what's right. He doesn't care about logical precision.

Also his emotions constantly interfere with his decisions. He falls into a very obvious trap at the Ministry of Magic in OotP, because he got all upset. He is very easy to bait, and Snape tells him he's terrible at Occlumency because he's to open-hearted and hotheaded. Everything he does is grounded in a personal, value-oriented perspective. I would say his quick-thinking under pressure is more of a Se-Pi thing. He's not cool-headed, so much as he is resourceful and impulsive.

hmm...but anyway he's a fictional character so he'll never be absolutely congruent with his own character I guess...but think about the chess game or the last time excuses or fighting against giant being...seems cool headed to me

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
hmm...but anyway he's a fictional character so he'll never be absolutely congruent with his own character I guess...but think about the chess game or the last time excuses or fighting against giant being...seems cool headed to me

I don't think Harry Potter is panicky, F-doms aren't necessarily bad under pressure, and they're not necessarily more emotional either. They just favour personal/value judgements over impersonal/systematic judgements. Harry lets his feelings get in the way of his more tactical/logical judgement, that's what I mean when I say he's not cool headed. Also, I should remind you that Ron sacrificed HIMSELF in the chess game.

Anyway, you're right, he's fictional and there's no way to prove anything. That's why I almost never post in these threads, I just took exception to how certain you were. I disagreed with some of your other typings, but you didn't seem smug about those ones. :newwink:

Doomkid

I don't think Harry Potter is panicky, F-doms aren't necessarily bad under pressure, and they're not necessarily more emotional either. They just favour personal/value judgements over impersonal/systematic judgements. Harry lets his feelings get in the way of his more tactical/logical judgement, that's what I mean when I say he's not cool headed. Also, I should remind you that Ron sacrificed HIMSELF in the chess game.

Anyway, you're right, he's fictional and there's no way to prove anything. That's why I almost never post in these threads, I just took exception to how certain you were. I disagreed with some of your other typings, but you didn't seem smug about those ones. :newwink:

cool, hey I gotta go eat something, can I add you as friend?

HBIC

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with ISTJ for Hermione. She is much more of a "by the book" thinker than "outside the box", and saves the day by remembering useful information and doing her homework. Snape is certainly a TJ. INTJ most likely, but a decent case can be made for ISTJ. Regarding houses, I don't think any kind of rigorous correspondence can be made between houses and types/temperaments. There are too many ways to be NT, or SJ, or Slytherin, etc.

I've come to see Voldemort as INFJ. His strategising is really rather poor, and his ambitions come off as a huge moral crusade, more like Bin Laden.

Agree about Hermione and about the Houses, but what's your reasoning behind Snape?

That may be. I think Light Yagami from Death Note is INFJ, and many think he's INTJ. The two are similar.

Light is an ENTJ, L an INTJ. But of course you'd think he's an INFJ :rolleyes:.

IRT Hermione, I don't think looking at how closely she follows or deviates from rules is very telling. I know SJs who blow rules out of the water and NJs who are sticklers. It's much more about how they look at information - conceptual or discrete.

Hermione is a detail person. She is practically a walking encyclopedia of knowledge - terms, definitions, dates, places, all those little tidbits of information that allow her to snap things into place more quickly than the others. It's not that she's a big-picture intuitive thinker - she doesn't have a "vision" of what she's after, she doesn't spend time conceptualizing goals, or theorizing on topics, or lining information up to create a grand scheme. She collects bits of knowledge for the sake of collecting bits of knowledge, and she's excellent at filling in the gaps.

For this reason, I would type Hermione as an ISTJ.

I think many of her actions, in particular breaking rules, are (somewhat ironically) explained by her eminently clear Enneatype 1. Hermione is a moral crusader through and through, and very protective.
Rowling sets up a fairly obvious "good-versus-evil" dividing line throughout the books, and whenever Hermione is breaking rules, it is in the name of protecting her friends, or ridding Hogwarts of a danger, or exacting vengeance on Malfoy. When she steals the ingredients from Snape, Colin Creevey has recently turned up Petrified, we know that she feels very anxious about it, Snape isn't the most trustworthy or savory anyway, and it's for the purpose of discovering the Heir and stopping the attacks on the school.

Additionally, Hermione being the smartest witch in her year and clearly scores more capable of digesting and retaining information than most, it's unsurprising that she would desire to push forwards with that, regardless of type. Given Te, she would also have a certain penchant for efficiency, which sometimes entails cutting corners.

Nailed it :worthy:

Harry Potter: ISFP 6w7 (Clearly Fi-Se)
Ron Weasley: ESFP 7w8 (not w6; has a hidden lust for power)
Hermione Granger: ISTJ 3w2 (Obvious si dom)
Albus Dumbledore: INTP 9w1 (Too whimsical to be INTJ, too ruthless to be INFP)
Aberforth Dumbledore: ISTP 1w2
Gellert Grindelwald: INTJ 1w9
Severus Snape: INTJ 5w4 (I can definitely identify with him)
Minerva McGonagall: ESTJ 9w8
Quirinus Quirrell: INFJ 4w5
Gilderoy Lockhart: ESFP 3w4
Mad-Eye Moody: ESTJ 6w5
Rubeus Hagrid: ESFJ 2w1 (He's a caretaker)
Sybill Trelawney: ENFP 4w3
Tom "Lord Voldemort" Riddle: ENTJ 8w9 (He's extroverted; he loves having his followers around)
Neville Longbottom: INFP 4w5
Luna Lovegood: INTP 5w4 (Believing crazy things doesn't make you a t. Inferior fe is clear)
Xenophilius Lovegood: ENFP 4w5
Arthur Weasley: INTP 5w6
Molly Weasley: ESFJ 2w1
Fred Weasley: ENTP 7w8
George Weasley: ENTP 7w6 (A very subtle difference)
Ginny Weasley: ESTP 7w6 (A definite T in later books)
Percy Weasley: ESTJ 3w4
Bill Weasley: ESTP 7w8
Cho Chang: ISFP 6w7
Cedric Diggory: ESTJ 3w2
Victor Krum: ISTP 6w5
Fleur Delacour: ESTP 3w2
Oliver Wood: ESTP 8w7
Dean Thomas: ISTP 9w8
Seamus Finnigan: ESFJ 6w7
Lavender Brown: ESFP 7w6
Draco Malfoy: ENTJ 8w9 (Displays ni in book 6)
Lucius Malfoy: ESTJ 3w4
Sirius Black: ESFP 3w2
Regulus Black: ISFP 9w1
Bellatrix Lestrange: ESFP 3w2 (She is evil Sirius)
Horace Slughorn: ENFJ 3w2
James Potter: ESTP 7w8
Lily Potter: INFJ 2w3
Remus Lupin: INTP 6w5
Nymphadora Tonks: ESFP 7w6
Mundungus Fletcher: ESTP 7w6
Peter Pettigrew: ISFP 4w3
Dolores Umbridge: ESFJ 8w9 (The epitome of evil fe. Prefers to control people emotionally rather than tell them what to do, is totally irrational, treats everyone like children. Evil does not equal t)
Cornelius Fudge: ISFJ 9w8 (Fudge and Umbridge are classic sfjs unaware of their desires for power)
Rufus Scrimgeour: ISTJ 8w9 (a tougher Fudge)
Ludo Bagman: ESFP 7w6
Barty Crouch, Sr. :ISTJ 8w9
Barty Crouch, Jr. :ISFP 4w5 (An unhealthy 4 displaying 2 traits towards Voldemort, like Pettigrew)
Vernon Dursley: ESTJ 8w9
Marge Dursley: ESTJ 8w9
Petunia Dursley: ISFJ 9w8
Dudley Dursley: ESTP 7w8
Arabella Figg: ISFJ 2w1
Argus Filtch: ISTJ 6w5
Rita Skeeter: ESTP 3w4
Moaning Myrtle: INFP 9w8

Houses: Generally,
Griffyndor: XXFP Associated Functions: fi, se Enneagrams 1, 7, 4 Most Common Types: ESFP, ISFP, ENFP, INFP
Ravenclaw: XNTX Associated Functions: ne, ti Enneagram 5, 9 Most Common Types: INTP, ENTP, INTJ, INFJ
Hufflepuff: XSXJ Associated Functions: si, fe Enneagrams 2, 6 Most Common Types: ISFJ, ESFJ, ISTJ, ESTJ
Slytherin: EXTX Associated Functions: ni, te Enneagrams 3, 8 Most Common Types: ESTP, ISTP, ENTJ, ENFJ

Reasoning behind Snape?

Tom's vain but veeery private. His dismissive and distrustable behavior, need to keep all to himself, no need or want for friends...
Vain=/= extroverted.

Cho is the quintessential ESFJ.

Draco is ESxP. Waaay to hesitating and emotionally driven too be an ENTJ.

Bella is an ESFJ.

Tonks is an ENFP.

INTJs should be in Slytherin by our reasoning. I don’t think you can use MBTI to type the houses though, it’s more about motivations so the Enneagram would be better.

I actually think Snape was an INFP. Lily was what kept him going, so I see Si, but I don't think it was a healthy dom or aux use of Si. Snape was tremendously introverted-but-outwardly-complex (Fi-Ne), emotional, brave, and principled, which make me say Fi-dom. The Fi-Si loop is there, though.

Agreed. How can anyone see the man as a T is beyond me. He's an emotional wreck.

Coriolis;2262010[B said:
]I still think Snape is INTJ, but can accept ISTJ much more readily than INFP. He is most definitely a TJ, and hard to see E anywhere.[/B]

It takes awhile to figure out Dumbledore - meaning you have to read to the end to find out just how manipulative he has been throughout the series, and for decades before. Due to his great age, he has had lots of time to figure out how to use those less-preferred functions, and come across however he wants in order to reach his goal - but that motivation alone is telling. Bottom line, he is INTJ, though quite different from Snape and Voldemort, but see below.

Actually, no. The more I think about Voldemort, the more he seems INFJ. His grand plans really don't hold together, and have much more the flavor of a moral crusade with all the talk of purebloods, etc., like some religious zealot.

Why would Snape be INTJ? Agree on Dumbledore and Voldmort as INFJ.

Harry - INTP (oh really? YES REALLY trust me)

Ron - ESFP

Hermione - ISFJ

Dumbledore - INFJ

Voldemort - ENTJ (yes an extrovert)

Snape - INTJ

Minerva - ENFJ

Malfoy - ESTP

Hagrid - ISFP

Cornellius - ESFJ

You're terrible at this, you can't even recognize a fellow ISFP :rofl1:

Yes

NT = slytherin

That's so ridiculous is not even funny.

Harry quite obviously leads with Fi(everything he does is value driven, values derived internally to be specific) and has strong use of Se(very action/present oriented, does not think of the consequences of his actions). I see absolutely no Ti or Ne within him, even ISTP would considerably be a better guess over INTP as they have Se-aux as well.

Also I've always thought it was alluded to that Harry's being considered for Slytherin was mostly due to his ties to Voldemort.

NT's I've always seen as more Ravenclaw(obsessed with knowledge), with NTJ's as Slytherins(cunning and shrewd). SP's I've always thought of as Gryffindors(Impulsive and aggressive, as well as value driven in the case of SFP's)/Slytherins(practical opportunists), with ISTP as possibly also Ravenclaw in addition to Gryffindor/Slytherin. Being an ISFP would therefore make Harry a Gryffindor/Slytherin.

Luna is a much better example of an INxP(not sure if F or T really).

I disagree, Harry definetely displays many Slytherin traits, I hate JK's comment about the hat sensing the bit of the Horcrux in him.

Being an INTJ 4w3 I always get inconclusive results in House tests, always Slytherin/Gryffindor.

Ok let me elaborate on Harry being INTP

I - I think we should agree he doesn't like parties so much
N - He's pretty quick to get the underlying meaning of things
T - Emotions doesn't seem to interfere so much in his decisions(he thrives under pressure)
P - not a planner at all, one of the reasons Hermione get pissed at him and Ron sometimes, cause she is a J

Not liking parties doesn't make anyone an Introvert.

Indeed that's a clear sign of T, except Harry is incredibily emotionally volatile and tantrum prone. Did you forget the Order of the Phoneix book? His behavior after Arthur is attacked by Nagini and later when he thinks he has to rescue Sirius...:ranting: he's hardly rational them.

Would an INTP believe in crumple-horned snorkacks? :newwink:

Yes.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i have gotten 'you are like dumbledore' on quite a few quizzes. what type is he? is it possible he's ENFP? :unsure:

L

LadyLazarus

harry is more intuitive than I am though:D
Harry and intuitive are not two words I'd pair together being that Hermione pretty much solves everything for him, I mean honestly look at Chamber of Secrets. Hissing in the walls, heir of Slytherin, I wonder what's killing people?

He honestly sucks at looking at the bigger picture.

Doomkid

Harry and intuitive are not two words I'd pair together being that Hermione pretty much solves everything for him, I mean honestly look at Chamber of Secrets. Hissing in the walls, heir of Slytherin, I wonder what's killing people?

He honestly sucks at looking at the bigger picture.

I feel like watching now lol

L

LadyLazarus

I disagree, Harry definetely displays many Slytherin traits, I hate JK's comment about the hat sensing the bit of the Horcrux in him.

Being an INTJ 4w3 I always get inconclusive results in House tests, always Slytherin/Gryffindor.

In retrospect, yes I see what you mean. Yes, I didn't like that so much either, I feel like it's almost like saying "oh he's such a good person, he can't be in Slytherin because he actually possesses Slytherin qualities, it must be Voldy's fault somehow".

Oddly enough, I get the same results, I go with Slytherin though.

I think [MENTION=21302]Doomkid[/MENTION] originally thought of Harry as INTP because of the crappy ISFP descriptions, which seem to be based off of social 9's, which don't exactly imply Slytherin/Gryffindor, they sound more Hufflepuff. As an ISFP 4w3, Hufflepuff seems like my antithesis.

Doomkid

In retrospect, yes I see what you mean. Yes, I didn't like that so much either, I feel like it's almost like saying "oh he's such a good person, he can't be in Slytherin because he possesses Slytherin qualities, it must be Voldy's fault".

I think [MENTION=21302]Doomkid[/MENTION] originally thought of Harry as INTP because of the crappy ISFP descriptions, which seem to be based off of social 9's, which don't exactly imply Slytherin/Gryffindor, they sound more Hufflepuff. As an ISFP 4w3, Hufflepuff seems like my antithesis.

crappy ISFP descriptions indeed

HBIC

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In retrospect, yes I see what you mean. Yes, I didn't like that so much either, I feel like it's almost like saying "oh he's such a good person, he can't be in Slytherin because he actually possesses Slytherin qualities, it must be Voldy's fault".

He shouldn't be basing anyhting in those, though.

Hufflepuff and Slytherin are so underdeveloped it's a crime.

It's all about functions, descriptions and dichotomies are trash.

YES. Once you get it it all becomes fun and interesting instead of frustrating and infurriating.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Is Ravenclaw really all that developed? Name all the cool Ravenclaws you get to know: Luna, Flitwick, Cho Chang, that dude that takes Fleur Delacour to the Yule Ball...not to mention Moaning Myrtle, Quirrell and Lockhart :doh:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=21109]Look Alive_Sunshine[/MENTION]: Do you not think Voldemort and Light Yagami are similar? I think Light is a stronger case for XNTJ because of his strategizing, but both have similar INFJ gone wrong qualities. Just for the record it wasn't my original guess for Light- I read it on INTP central and the author persuaded me! He could be either I suppose as sometimes fictional characters just don't 100% fit any type more than another. Oh and L is so INTP. He has some J-ish qualities, but he's just not.

As far as the houses go I do think there's a correlation between the temperaments but it's certainly not strong and there is a lot of overlap. You could have an NT Hufflepuff or an SP Ravenclaw, but those I think would be a little less likely. I think her discussion of houses is terrible in many ways as it's so morally driven and biased. In reality Slytherins wouldn't even mostly be bad people and Gryffindors certainly wouldn't mostly be good people- they'd be people likely to join the military, religious zealots, and those likely to force their beliefs on other people. Sorting people by temperament would be way better.

HBIC

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=21109]Look Alive_Sunshine[/MENTION]: Do you not think Voldemort and Light Yagami are similar? I think Light is a stronger case for XNTJ because of his strategizing, but both have similar INFJ gone wrong qualities. Just for the record it wasn't my original guess for Light- I read it on INTP central and the author persuaded me! He could be either I suppose as sometimes fictional characters just don't 100% fit any type more than another.

I can't tell you how many times have I seen an INTJ described as an "INFJ gone wrong". But the difference between INTJ and INFJ is much deeper than one being the good/bad version of the other.

Let me ask you: how are Light and Voldmort alike? Their reasoning behind their decisions are pretty different.

Voldmort has a profound personal investment in his agenda, Light hasn't.