• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've very rarely seen Hermione seeking membership with any group, which means she's not a Guardian. She marches to the beat of her own drum, implying she's utilitarian. And finally, she seeks knowledge and competence in all things, and this is especially evident in the third book (and to some extent, the movie), and this makes her a Rational. Her tendency to initiate causes could point toward Idealist, but I don't see it as much as Rational.

you're stating correlations with type, not irrefutable proof. Hermione uses Si/Te, so this makes her ISTJ. she marches to the beat of her own drum because she's self preservation. you're mixing enneagram, instinct variant and individual personality with MBTI in innappropriate ways when you try to equate motivations with type. there are correlations, but they are just that

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Who said anything about the enneagram?

I brought up Enneagram because you entered the realm of the enneagram when you brought up Hermione's motivations. I wanted to make the distinction that motivations and cognitive preferences are separate temperamental preferences that are not directly correlated. that would be like me saying that Harry is a 4 because he uses Fi, to illustrate via reverse example

R

Riva

I hate to make I agree posts, but I have to break my rule and agree with Elfboy here, because U seems to have a messed up knowledge when it comes to typing people.

And Elfboy made a pretty good explanation of things. Congrats kiddo.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I brought up Enneagram because you entered the realm of the enneagram when you brought up Hermione's motivations.

No, Enneagram is not about motivations.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm kinda jumping in right in the middle of a good argument on Hermione's type, but here it goes:

Harry: ISFP
Ron: ESFP
Hermione: INFJ
Dumbledore: INTx. Funnily enough, I've seen some pretty fantastic arguments for both INTJ and INTP. There's really nothing that's NFJ about him, though, despite what most people seem to want to think.
Snape: INTJ
Sirius: ESTP
Lupin:INFP
Luna: INFP, of the garden fairy variety.
Hagrid: ISFJ
Dobby: ESFJ
McGonagall: ISTJ
Mrs. Weasley: ESFJ
Mr. Weasley: ISTP
Fred and George: ENTP
Percy: ISTJ
Ginny: Very difficult to type, seeing as she's got no personality to speak of. If pushed, I'd settle on ESFJ
Draco: ESTP

theplacesyoullgo

Dumbledore: INTx. Funnily enough, I've seen some pretty fantastic arguments for both INTJ and INTP. There's really nothing that's NFJ about him, though, despite what most people seem to want to think.

I think it's that he has a certain light touch that most INTXs don't possess.

Personally, I see Dumbledore much more as an Ni user than an Ne user, and between INTJ and INFJ, I'd come down more on the side of INFJ. An INTJ would probably be less adept at the people-manipulating than Dumbledore was.

Sirius: ESTP
Lupin:INFP
Luna: INFP, of the garden fairy variety.
Dobby: ESFJ
McGonagall: ISTJ
Mrs. Weasley: ESFJ
Mr. Weasley: ISTP
Fred and George: ENTP
Percy: ISTJ
Ginny: Very difficult to type, seeing as she's got no personality to speak of. If pushed, I'd settle on ESFJ

These all strike me as very good, although of course there are a few characters who really don't have enough substance to type (e.g. Fred and George as ENTPs or ESTPs or ESFPs...). I like Ginny as an ESFJ.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Snape: Mudblood
Sirius: Mudblood
Lupin: Mudblood
Luna: Mudblood
Hagrid: Mudblood
Dobby: Mudblood
McGonagall: Mudblood
Mrs. Weasley: Mudblood
Mr. Weasley: Mudblood
Fred and George: Mudblood
Percy: Mudblood
Ginny: Mudblood

In all seriousness, I agree with Mujigay.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Harry Potter- INFP
Hermione Granger-IxTJ
Ron Weasley- ISTP
Fred/George Weasley- ExTP
Percy Weasley- ISTJ
Arthur Weasley- xNTP
Bill Weasley- ESTP
Fleur de la Coeur Weasley- ESFJ
Molly Weasley- xSFJ
Ginny Weasley- ISxP
Petunia Dursley- ESxJ
Vernon Dursley- ESTJ
Dudley Dursley- ESTx
Lily Evans Potter- INFJ
James Potter- ENTP
Sirius Black- ESTP
Remus Lupin- INFJ
Peter Pettigrew- ISFx
Draco Malfoy- IxTP
Lucius Malfoy- ENTJ
Narcissa Malfoy- ESTJ
Bellatrix Lestrange- xSTJ
Voldemort- INTJ
Dumbledore- INxJ
Luna Lovegood- INxP
Xenophilius Lovegood- ENFP

Idt you see enough of everyone else to type the, including Crabbe and Goyle.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harry Potter- INFP
Hermione Granger-IxTJ
Ron Weasley- ISTP
Fred/George Weasley- ExTP
Percy Weasley- ISTJ
Arthur Weasley- xNTP
Bill Weasley- ESTP
Fleur de la Coeur Weasley- ESFJ
Molly Weasley- xSFJ
Ginny Weasley- ISxP
Petunia Dursley- ESxJ
Vernon Dursley- ESTJ
Dudley Dursley- ESTx
Lily Evans Potter- INFJ
James Potter- ENTP
Sirius Black- ESTP
Remus Lupin- INFJ
Peter Pettigrew- ISFx
Draco Malfoy- IxTP
Lucius Malfoy- ENTJ
Narcissa Malfoy- ESTJ
Bellatrix Lestrange- xSTJ
Voldemort- INTJ
Dumbledore- INxJ
Luna Lovegood- INxP
Xenophilius Lovegood- ENFP

Idt you see enough of everyone else to type the, including Crabbe and Goyle.

could you explain the bolded?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, I see Dumbledore much more as an Ni user than an Ne user, and between INTJ and INFJ, I'd come down more on the side of INFJ. An INTJ would probably be less adept at the people-manipulating than Dumbledore was.

I tend to rate J/P higher on the "type scale" in terms of determining type. One reason is because that scale is designed to be VISIBLE and observable. That's why Myers created it. It happens externally. Other functions do not necessarily manifest themselves directly; J/P are not functions, they're indicators that point towards functions by observable behavior.

I think another flaw in picking a function and choosing a type from it is that we all know that it's very common for people to have non-ideal function combinations and lineups. For me, I always score high in Ti, Ni, and Ne .... which isn't uncommon (and my rarer Fe score is way atypical for type). Just because someone's strong in a function, it's not necessarily definitive of what overall type they are... it seems better to triangulate from various perspectives, especially the "look and feel" one. Observable behavior is at least observable.

theplacesyoullgo

I tend to rate J/P higher on the "type scale" in terms of determining type. One reason is because that scale is designed to be VISIBLE and observable. That's why Myers created it. It happens externally. Other functions do not necessarily manifest themselves directly; J/P are not functions, they're indicators that point towards functions by observable behavior.

I read your post up-thread about thinking Dumbledore is INTP. I think that even if we were to value J/P in itself more, then I'd probably be even more inclined to think he was J! ;) Dumbledore having the pieces of the puzzle so perfectly planned and arranged seems like the work of a J rather than a P. I also think INXJs (especially INFJs) generally have an ability to internally justify quite questionable tactics and plans better than INTPs generally do. Obviously some INTPs would be capable of acting the way Dumbledore did, but from my view, I think the likelihood of him being an INFJ is higher.

On the other hand, I think some of Chiharu's typings are flat-out incorrect (sorry!). Harry's an obvious S, as is Hermione, and Ron is an obvious E.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read your post up-thread about thinking Dumbledore is INTP. I think that even if we were to value J/P in itself more, then I'd probably be even more inclined to think he was J! ;) Dumbledore having the pieces of the puzzle so perfectly planned and arranged seems like the work of a J rather than a P. I also think INXJs (especially INFJs) generally have an ability to internally justify quite questionable tactics and plans better than INTPs generally do. Obviously some INTPs would be capable of acting the way Dumbledore did, but from my view, I think the likelihood of him being an INFJ is higher.

On the other hand, I think some of Chiharu's typings are flat-out incorrect (sorry!). Harry's an obvious S, as is Hermione, and Ron is an obvious E.

seriously, Harry is not N at all. Bart Simpson is more N than he is

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually thought Harry Potter was INFP too. He's kind of the stereotypycal daydreaming and sensible emo kid to me. Then INFP.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Again, I think it would do better to look at his flexibility and how he controls or doesn't control his outer environment. I guess you haven't met any ITPs who happen to be in positions of authority. Most avoid such things... but this is one of the few occupations where an ITP could inadvertently rise to some sort of power (he's a wizard/sage, a primary life role for ITPs... the same as perhaps an ITP could rise to a college position of authority). One gets the idea that Dumbledore kind of just floated to the top because he had seniority, but he never really had ambition to be in charge; he'd be happen doing his own studies and explorations elsewhere.

INFJ also uses Fe as the expressive dominant. It's the observable trait. That's not really Dumbledore. He's kind... but that's not Fe, he really doesn't care about social expectations except in terms of keeping things in balanced and stable. Typically, INFJ comes off as colder when it Ti's; find the INFJs on this site and watch the ones who have decent Ti expression, it's expressed often in more detached form than many of the INTPs. Dumbledore and Snape (INJ) are VERY different in how they interact with others. Snape is very controlled and establishes some sort of order around him. Dumbledore only establishes what sort of order is necessary in order to fulfill his duties, but you can tell otherwise he personally doesn't CARE what people do. He also is far more accessible, and easily explains his thinking in a personable relaxed way once it suits his purposes, which is more than what I have seen any INFJ do -- aside from Peguy, usually it comes out as a very detached crystalline form of Ti. (But I think Peguy has integrated his function perspectives pretty well, so they're melded, making Ti influence less separate and rigid sounding.)

I didn't bother to look at what he said, but off the cuff I'd say ISFP, ISTJ, and Ron's... kind of a low-key E if he is one. But I don't see him as an N either. (Which I think is rather awesome, considering how fantasy works seem to focus on N traits... and it's nice to get characters who operate from some other premise.)

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Harry: ISFP
Ron: ESFP
Hermione: ISTJ
Drago: ESTP
Neville: ISFP
Seamus: ESFP
Ginny: ISFJ
Luna: INTP.
Percy: ESTJ
Fred & George: ENTP
Cho: ESFJ
Diggory: ISFP

James: ESTP
Sirius: ENFP
Pettigrow: ISTJ
Lupin: INFP
Lily: INFJ
Petunia: ISFJ
McGonagall: ESTJ
Molly: ESFJ
Dumbledore: INTJ
Voldemort: ENTJ
Lucius: ENTJ
Cornelius: ESTJ
Bellatrix: ENFJ
Gilderoy Lockhart: ENFP
Umbridge: ESTJ
Mad-Eye: ISTJ

James Potter Jr: ESTP
Albus Severus: INFP
(We don't really know them, but I wanted to include them anyways)

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The ETJs always get the bad guys.

#sensitive

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The ETJs always get the bad guys.

#sensitive

Indiana Jones: ENTJ
Yahiko Myogin (Rurouni Kenshin): ESTJ
Sandi (Spongbob): ESTJ
Princess Leia: ENTJ
Wolfram von Bielefeld: ESTJ (the coolest ESTJ ever I might add)