User Tag List

First 12202122232432 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    She does connect dots, but is that using intuition or is that just using her logic to connect the dots?
    I've always thought that to succesfully connect dots you need both intuition and logic. Intuition makes the links - correct ones, wrong ones, crazy ones, useful ones... and logic filters out the ones that are, well, logical.
    Now, while I see "being able to connect dots" as an intuitive trait, I do NOT want to say only Ns can do it... That would be as false as saying that Ts never rely on emotions or Fs can't use logic.

"Being able to connect dots" - I count a point towards N
    "Uses experience first" - I count a point towards S
    "Abstractly thinking" - I count a point towards N
    Etc...

Yes, Hermione has a vast array of knowledge at her disposal. And she is always seeking to make it even bigger such that it covers more and more situations. Si use? Points towards SJ... (I guess we can all agree on Hermione being a J).
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    I've always thought that to succesfully connect dots you need both intuition and logic. Intuition makes the links - correct ones, wrong ones, crazy ones, useful ones... and logic filters out the ones that are, well, logical.
    Now, while I see "being able to connect dots" as an intuitive trait, I do NOT want to say only Ns can do it... That would be as false as saying that Ts never rely on emotions or Fs can't use logic.

Etc...

Yes, Hermione has a vast array of knowledge at her disposal. And she is always seeking to make it even bigger such that it covers more and more situations. Si use? Points towards SJ... (I guess we can all agree on Hermione being a J).
    She is definitely IxTJ. No arguments there.

But maybe she is just a rather intuitive ISTJ?

You do need intuition and logic to connect dots, so I suppose her use of N is where that comes from. She seems to prefer using Si, however. I think I should look more at what her preferences are.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ISFJ

I count ability to connect dots a point towards Ti. Not sure where you get N from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    Harry = INFP, same type as the author.
    J. K. Rowling is an INFJ.

MBTI
    ENTP

Harry seems more like a Sensor to me. (ISFP)

Why would all fantasy heroes be INFPs? If ever my novel gets published I'm sure people would call my main an INFP too, just because she's the main character in a fantasy story and can do magic...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Harry is totally ISFP. INFP is silly.

Ron seems ISFJ and Hermione is ISTJ.

Harry seems more like a Sensor to me. (ISFP)

Why would all fantasy heroes be INFPs? If ever my novel gets published I'm sure people would call my main an INFP too, just because she's the main character in a fantasy story and can do magic...
    Fi is often the most celebrated value in fantasy, for obvious reasons. I think a ton of fantasy heroes are ISFP; they just all get typed as INFP because INFPs comprise such a big part of the fantasy genre's fanbase (and its authors.)
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Fi is often the most celebrated value in fantasy, for obvious reasons. I think a ton of fantasy heroes are ISFP; they just all get typed as INFP because INFPs comprise such a big part of the fantasy genre's fanbase (and its authors.)
    I guess there is also another reason. In most of the fantasy worlds, hidden connections and symbolism are real and useful. So the population gets shifted towards N.
    In most of the fantasy worlds, magic is made possible by emotion. Take Harry Potter... you need hate to kill, you need positive emotion for a patronus,... maybe the population would get shifted towards F too.

I'll make a separate thread for that, because as a fantasy lover (and hater) and wannabe fantasy author, I'm quite interested in this.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Harry is totally ISFP. INFP is silly.

Ron seems ISFJ and Hermione is ISTJ.

I agree. INFP is silly for Harry (and Hermione is ISTJ...dunno about ISFJ for Ron, though.) However, you're saying that fantasy heroes get types as INFP because the majority of fantasy fans are INFP? How does that work? Or are you saying that people here type Harry as INFP because they are INFPs and fans of fantasy?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I agree. INFP is silly for Harry (and Hermione is ISTJ...dunno about ISFJ for Ron, though.) However, you're saying that fantasy heroes get types as INFP because the majority of fantasy fans are INFP? How does that work? Or are you saying that people here type Harry as INFP because they are INFPs and fans of fantasy?
    Well the former wouldn't really make any sense. The only people doing typing exercises of fictional characters are those who are into MBTI as well as fantasy, so I'm referring to threads regarding fantasy characters and how the heroes often get snap-typed as INFPs by fantasy fans on the forum (who are themselves frequently INFPs.)

How would you type Ron?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    CAT

I think that Harry gets typed as an INFP because people feel that he's a Fi user and they associate Fi more with the INFP than the ISFP archetype. Therefore, whenever they see someone who seems to be fueled by Fi, they automatically pin them down as an INFP and overlook the Se/Ne difference. Personally, I think that INFP and ISFP fantasy heroes can seem pretty similar, but ISFP heroes have usually some strong natural physical abilities and instincts (like Harry = Quidditch, Van from Vision of Escaflowne = driving mecha, swordsmanship...), whereas INFP heroes have some natural mental abilities and instincts (often it's associated with "instinctive" magic, healing etc).

In my opinion, Ron is whatever type Xander from Buffy is, and as I've read a good argument as too why Xander is an ENFP, I'd type Ron an ENFP as well. For one thing, he is definitely not a J.
    Her head hung down
    Gazed at earth, finally keen,
    As the rabbit at the stoat,
    Till the earth was sky,
    Sky that was green,
    And brown clouds passed
    Like chestnut leaves along the ground.

- SUSAN ANN AND IMMORTALITY, T. E. Hulme