User Tag List

Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and MBTI

Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I would like to hear your thoughts on why he is an INTP. Just because he is brilliant does not mean he has to be an NT...
    He is definitely a Judging function because he planned out the entire course of defeating Voldemort, and carefully,patiently worked away at it for many years.
    I think in looking for Dumbledore's true type, it's easier to analyze his faults than his extraordinary abilities. Also, his childhood is very revealing as to his initial temperament and style, before life events and the steady build of the weaker parts of his character occur.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Very good point here. When he completely severs his relationship with Harry, he completely reveals his misunderstanding of the emotional needs of a developing orphan, since he is unable to recognize his status as a mentor/father figure to Harry. He imparts his lack of need for emotional support onto others.

For Dumbledore, I used to agree with INFJ until the last book. The last book revealed things about his childhood, teen years, as well as early adult that make me think INTx, but lean toward INTP. His relationship with Grindelwald is classic INTP-ENTJ matchup, his ideas and plans for new world leadership that is based on merit, intelligence, and power and his classification of muggles as a "lesser" group that needs magical leadership to truly thrive is something I find INTx-ish. Of course, he abandons his plans at the death of his sister, and turns his life around.

We see him at an incredible age with temperamental balance it can be hard to distinguish anything that sticks out to give clues. But I think they're there.

Senior Member Array

I think in looking for Dumbledore's true type, it's easier to analyze his faults than his extraordinary abilities. Also, his childhood is very revealing as to his initial temperament and style, before life events and the steady build of the weaker parts of his character occur.
    Your points are valid. Too often Dumbledore is seen in a completely angelic light, but, naturally, he does have faults. It makes more sense to analyze him this way.

Also, comparing him with Lily (INFJ) they are not so similar (Though they do have Snape in common... their relationships with him are quite interesting...). I think I did overlook his complete ignoring of the emotional need of Harry.

And you are right, when he was young the relationship between him and Grindelwald was very INTP-ENTJ-ish. At the end of the seventh book when Dumbledore and Harry are at Kings Cross the way the whole situation is talked about/approached is very T. Emotions do not come into the equation. The only emotions that played into this were Lily's. We see love as almost a tangible thing the way it protects Harry. It's a mere fact of the situation for Dumbledore. Obviously, for Harry it is emotional as well as a fact. Harry, in order to deal with the situation the way it was, had to detach to get the job done.

So we can say Dumbledore is INTX comfortably but why more P than J? Is his dominant function Ti or Ni? His type just seems to elude me...

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Voldemort - feeling type? I don't think so. He never had love for anything and only emotion he produced was anger, if his plans didn't went the way he wanted it. And I believe he's introverted. There's been a lot of posts in this thread about Voldemort, no more discussion is needed.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Niaurus View Post
    Voldemort - feeling type? I don't think so. He never had love for anything and only emotion he produced was anger, if his plans didn't went the way he wanted it. And I believe he's introverted. There's been a lot of posts in this thread about Voldemort, no more discussion is needed.
    I spied this and ROFLMAO - I agree Voldie aint no huggy type.... I'd say and INTJ.....

Man for all seasons Array dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hermione is an INFJ. J K herself has said that she is based on herself.
    4w5 sp

Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Hermione is an INFJ. J K herself has said that she is based on herself.
    Then JK Rowling is an ISTJ.

Widdles in your cream. Array
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Then JK Rowling is an ISTJ.
    Yeah. I mean, Hermione as an INFJ?

I remember in the last book, there was a scene (I think they broke into the Ministry ahh eye-dee-kay) and a wizard was seated on a chair which was carved as a group of "stupid-looking people", supporting the wizard. Hermione muttered under her breath, "Muggles; right where they belong" - beneath the wizarding world. It sounded like the hierarchical STJ way of thinking. I couldn't imagine an INFJ saying something like that.

Plus, in the Order of the Phoenix:

Hermione: It's exciting, isn't it? Breaking the rules.
    Ron: Who are you, and what have you done with the real Hermione?!

Sounds like an SJ getting thrills out of going against the system. Besodes, wouldn't an IFJ come across as soft initially? Hermione had the stern ITJ thing going on.

MBTI
    INFJ

I agree with everything in your post except...

Sounds like an SJ getting thrills out of going against the system. Besodes, wouldn't an IFJ come across as soft initially? Hermione had the stern ITJ thing going on.
    ... that. Which is too much of a generalization, and in some cases isn't even marginally true by any stretch of the imagination.

Voldemort - feeling type? I don't think so. He never had love for anything
    He had a love for power.

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    5w4

I mean, everyone loves something.. He didn't actually had love for a human being.

For Hermione, I think she's an ISFJ. She's too emotional. Well, her character is showed different in the movies. ISFJ there for sure.
    But remembering the last book, there were moments where fast thinking was required. Like when they all were at Luna Lovegood's house talking to her father. The Death Eaters arived, Hermione let them see that Harry was there, for Xenophilius Lovegood's sake, and used the invisibility cloak on Ron, because he's supposed to be at home and sick.
    The other one is when in their hide-out someone said "Voldemort", so the Death Eaters or the Ministry of Magic people appeared. Hermione cast a spell on Harrys face and it became unrecognizable.

Widdles in your cream. Array
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Was he an INTP, though? I'd have thought that if he was, he would have lost interest in his vision of power. "Oh, I'm bored now; I think I'll set up a rival bank against Gringotts, or something".

Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast