• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

R

Riva

Could anyone of you people who typed Snape explain why you believe him to be an INTJ?

Just because he is smart, cynical etc (possesses what we associate with INTJs) it does not make him one.

I am good at listening to people and making them feel alright and sometimes even motivate them. Does it make me a ENFP? NO!

Stop typing people because he has qualities an XXXX have and because you have a XXXX friend who behaves just like him/her.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Could anyone of you people who typed Snape explain why you believe him to be an INTJ?

Just because he is smart, cynical etc (possesses what we associate with INTJs) it does not make him one.

I am good at listening to people and making them feel alright and sometimes even motivate them. Does it make me a ENFP? NO!

Stop typing people because he has qualities an XXXX have and because you have a XXXX friend who behaves just like him/her.

And how would you type him, if I may ask? I'm really interested.

I'm afraid that Snape is so close to my archetypal image of an INTJ that it would be hard for me to see him as anything else, "science" (*cough*) regardless... However, I think this typing is not unprovable - at least it's pretty obvious to me he's a Fi user (all his life is basically led by Fi - the good version as well as the bad one) and an introvert, which boils it down to only four types. I'd say ISFP is pretty much out of the question, I find his thinking a little too interwined with his feeling for him to be an INFP, and I don't see him as an SJ (although I wouldn't exclude it). INTJ just makes the most sense to me *shrugs*

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
What about Gilderoy Lockhart?

I'd say he's an ESFJ. Sticks to the same pattern, lives for popularity,...
Of course, he's more determined by "narcistic" than by any type.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
In my opinion, Ron is whatever type Xander from Buffy is, and as I've read a good argument as too why Xander is an ENFP, I'd type Ron an ENFP as well. For one thing, he is definitely not a J.

Xander is definitely an ENFP. Haven't seen Buffy in years, but his character stands out as such even now IMO.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Xander is such an ENTP: sarcastical joker, openly critical, values justice more than mercy, usually the guy who takes things the least earthy and the most cynically (after Spike) as opposed as Buffy or Willow for examples who are real FPs. I notably remember one episode, for example where Buffy tell alarmed to Xander "I'm telling you there's stranges things happening" and Xander just answer "there's stranges things happening? But it's just our high school motto". The dominant trait of his personality is his cool-headed attitude even in the most stressfull situations. He's hardly geeky and share that trait with the INTPs of the show like Oz or Andrew. Xander judge things firstly with logic and not by how he feel about this. He have not a strong Fi but on the other side, he has a strong Fe and is very concerned with the interest of the Scooby Gang, but he primarly use Ne and Ti to serve it. He show many times the ENTP's hability tho analyse unvisible connections between peoples and see the way they work or fail.

evilrobot

MBTI Type
nite
Enneagram
5w4
Xander is such an ENTP: sarcastical joker, openly critical, values justice more than mercy, usually the guy who takes things the least earthy and the most cynically (after Spike) as opposed as Buffy or Willow for examples who are real FPs.

Definitely. And in any case Xander's not the same type as Ron Weasely (who's clearly SP), whoever said that.

Agnosco311

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
Definitely. And in any case Xander's not the same type as Ron Weasely (who's clearly SP), whoever said that.

I dunno about Weasely, I think of an SP as somewhat of a risk taker, I don't really see that with Ron.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
xSFPs are usually more vulnerables to anxiety than xSTPs and that can restrict there leanings to risktaking. I think that Ron is an ESFP 6w7 so/sx and Xander an ENTP 7w6 so/sp.

Ethanescence

MBTI Type
INFP
Does anyone else agree that Harry is INFJ and Dumbledore is INFP?

Many INFJ characteristics seem similar to Harry's personality in the series:

"Because the INFJ has such strong intuitive capabilities, they trust their own instincts above all else. This may result in an INFJ stubborness and tendency to ignore other people's opinions."

^ Harry is usually stubborn in his viewpoints - often ignoring Hermione's and Dumbledore's judgment. This is evident in Harry's instinctual distrust of certain individuals (e.g. Snape).

"They don't believe in compromising their ideals."

"Situations which are charged with conflict may drive the normally peaceful INFJ into a state of agitation or charged anger."

"INFJs have uncanny insight into people and situations. They get "feelings" about things and intuitively understand them. As an extreme example, some INFJs report experiences of a psychic nature, such as getting strong feelings about there being a problem with a loved one, and discovering later that they were in a car accident."

"They know things intuitively, without being able to pinpoint why, and without detailed knowledge of the subject at hand. They are usually right, and they usually know it. Consequently, INFJs put a tremendous amount of faith into their instincts and intuitions."

And Dumbledore's personality seems a lot like INFP, rather than INFJ, etc:

"INFPs are usually talented writers. They may be awkard and uncomfortable with expressing themselves verbally, but have a wonderful ability to define and express what they're feeling on paper. INFPs also appear frequently in social service professions, such as counselling or teaching. They are at their best in situations where they're working towards the public good, and in which they don't need to use hard logic."

^ Reminds me of Dumbledore's letter to Grindelwald.

"INFPs are flexible and laid-back, until one of their values is violated. In the face of their value system being threatened, INFPs can become aggressive defenders, fighting passionately for their cause. When an INFP has adopted a project or job which they're interested in, it usually becomes a "cause" for them. Although they are not detail-oriented individuals, they will cover every possible detail with determination and vigor when working for their "cause"."

^ Sounds a lot like Dumbledore's horcrux search.

"Although they may be reserved in expressing emotion, they have a very deep well of caring and are genuinely interested in understanding people. This sincerity is sensed by others, making the INFP a valued friend and confidante. An INFP can be quite warm with people he or she knows well."

elehci

MBTI Type
intj
Does anyone else agree that Harry is INFJ and Dumbledore is INFP?
-- Nope, nope.

"Because the INFJ has such strong intuitive capabilities, they trust their own instincts above all else. This may result in an INFJ stubborness and tendency to ignore other people's opinions."

Harry is usually stubborn in his viewpoints - often ignoring Hermione's and Dumbledore's judgment. This is evident in Harry's instinctual distrust of certain individuals (e.g. Snape).

I think most types are capable of digging their heels in about things they believe sufficiently in (which would vary) but at any rate, I've always had the impression that Harry's 'gut instinct' is more of an Fi dom than an Ni dom thing.

Also, Dumbledore's pretty INJ, i think, which are capable of marshalling their own idealistic 'change the world' cause, should it strike the fancy. And Dumbledore has a sort of 'certain' air to him, a decided sort of take on things -- he knows what he thinks/ feels about something/ someone and sticks to that. I don't really see a very open-ended Ne in him.

Actually, this has probably been discussed to death, but I -still- can't quite tell if Dumbledore's an INFJ or INTJ...

(decides to read the other pages in this thread later :))
(edit: has read threads and has come to the conclusion that one needs the books... haha.)

Last edited:

fireandwater

MBTI Type
enfp
I somehow deleted my first most thoughtful post, I think, but here's another version: Hermione is an INFJ, for certain, in my mind, especially in the books. Only an NF would create and make her life's work an anti-slavery movement. Only an N would be so astute about the underlying patterns of behavior of the people and institutions around her. I was raised by an ISTJ and an INFJ and from the outside all the INFJs I know look a lot like an SJ to people who don't know them well, but their motivations and life's work are totally different. And they are studious and obsessively meticulous. They will go and look up questions you've posed in a book and tell you the answers, just like Hermione does. They are people pleasers and rule followers and will conform heavily, so long as the group they are conforming to (in form) they believe in (in substance). I do think you could make a case for ISTJ or ISFJ in the movie version of Hermione, though I never would have thought of that on my own, as my image of her is based on the books. In both I think we see Hermione grow, appearing more severely J and SJish at first but showing her true NFJ colors increasingly as she develops. I've watched several INFJs I am close to go through this process and it's really beautiful.
Dumbledore plays heavily into the Wise Wizard archetype and is therefore clearly IN, but has traits of both the INFJ counselor (esp. to Harry) and the INTJ moving his chess pieces across the board. Hard to pin down an archetype. He's less like any real people than the kids are. Likewise Voldemort is the Shadow. He personifies evil, the opposite of love, and is therefore not a realistic person. His soul is broken. I don't think he is a type, per se. Obviously he's cut off from feeling and any real relationship with people, but I don't know if that makes him an introverted thinker or just nuts.
Snape seems very much more like a real life INTJ to me, and I assumed Harry was an INFP, but the very good arguments for ISFP have made me reconsider. I think the Weasley twins are ENTP entrepeneurs and Luna and Lupin are INFPs.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harry -> NO intuition, ISFP.
Dumbledore -> INTJ.

It all sounds pretty clear to me.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I somehow deleted my first most thoughtful post, I think, but here's another version: Hermione is an INFJ, for certain, in my mind, especially in the books. Only an NF would create and make her life's work an anti-slavery movement. Only an N would be so astute about the underlying patterns of behavior of the people and institutions around her

What implies Ni and Fe? I'm pretty certain that she's an ISTJ. Being raised around all of that would certainly make someone affected by it. Anyone could devote themselves to removing slavery. And would why only an N be concerned with this?

Only an N would be so astute about the underlying patterns of behavior of the people and institutions around her

fireandwater

MBTI Type
enfp
This is responding to BlackCat's post (sorry I haven't figured out the quote function yet.) TypeLogic's description of INFJs helps explain why I think they are more likely than other types to initiate a fight for the welfare of house elves:

"Beneath the quiet exterior, INFJs hold deep convictions about the weightier matters of life. Those who are activists -- INFJs gravitate toward such a role -- are there for the cause, not for personal glory or political power.

INFJs are champions of the oppressed and downtrodden...." (MLK Jr. listed as an example.)

Their scholarly attributes and their ability to read other people are also discussed well in this article: INFJ Profile. I'd be interested to know if you see Hermione in their description of INFJs as I do, that is to say I'd be interested to know if we interpret the INFJ differently or just the character Hermione differently.

To clarify, I think all sorts of types are likely to JOIN an antislavery cause or to be able to see (or feel) that slavery is wrong. It's just more likely to me that NF would be the CATALYST. I don't know any SJ Guardians who would buck social convention in this way or even be able to see outside social convention to such a degree that they would initiate or attempt to initiate radical change.

On the separate issue of N perceiving the patterns of social behavior in general, to me that's what N's do primarily is scan for patterns (I can do it all day if nobody stops me and makes me do something more "real" or "productive") and for NFs it's patterns to do with people, individually or collectively. Actually it was this thought which also convinced me that those who were saying Harry is ISFP were right, as Hermione is always explaining to Harry what other people are thinking, their motivations and such, to paraphrase from memory: "can't you see what Cho must be feeling," "don't you think Voldemort knows you have a bit of a martyr complex", "It (Umbridge's speech that sounded a load of waffle to Ron) means the ministry's interfering at Hogwarts." I can't see my ISTJ Dad recognizing any of these types of things, but my INFJ mother would.

Last edited:

fireandwater

MBTI Type
enfp
On another note, if as has been suggested, all three of these characters: Dumbledore, Snape, and Voldemort, are INTJ, what does that mean in terms of pattern or message in the story? Both Dumbledore and Snape started down the path to the Dark Side of the Force, so to speak and then pulled back from the edge and became key figures in its defeat. Both also when women they loved died.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
love this =]

harry potter- isfp (loyal to friends, prefer action over words, very private, take things very personally)

ron- esfp (speaks for itself)

Hermione- Isfj (she's an SJ and i wont be persuaded otherwise. F because she cried in the bathroom in first year when ron said she had no friends, dont forget spew, and of course her attack with the birds onto ron. oh yes and she dropped out of school to run around the countryside in hiding with her best friends.)

voldie- intj

snapey- intj

dumbly- infj or intj? he's a J. he had sooo many plans.

Sirius is an ENFP- fickle, moody, attention seeking, out spoken, loyal, doesn't like rules and details, sensitive.

Lupin- infp. its clear.

Luna- inxp

Neville- intp? a weak one?

Ginny- Esfj? or enfj?

mrs. weasly- esfj

mr. weasley- infp?

weasley twins- estp

draco- entp

Lucius- entJ

Bellatrix- entp

Narcissa- Istp

Lily evans- enfp

XSTJ'S- Vernon, Umbridge, flich, Fudge, Scrigimour, McGonagall, slughorn,

Hagrid- enfp/infp

fleur- enfp? enfj? she does love her attention.

Seamus Finnegan- isfp

Cedric Diggory- infj/enfj

Olivander- intp

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
love this =]

harry potter- isfp (loyal to friends, prefer action over words, very private, take things very personally)

ron- esfp (speaks for itself)

Hermione- Isfj (she's an SJ and i wont be persuaded otherwise. F because she cried in the bathroom in first year when ron said she had no friends, dont forget spew, and of course her attack with the birds onto ron. oh yes and she dropped out of school to run around the countryside in hiding with her best friends.)

voldie- intj

snapey- intj

dumbly- infj or intj? he's a J. he had sooo many plans.

Sirius is an ENFP- fickle, moody, attention seeking, out spoken, loyal, doesn't like rules and details, sensitive.

Lupin- infp. its clear.

Luna- inxp

Neville- intp? a weak one?

Ginny- Esfj? or enfj?

mrs. weasly- esfj

mr. weasley- infp?

weasley twins- estp

draco- entp

Lucius- entJ

Bellatrix- entp

Narcissa- Istp

Lily evans- enfp

XSTJ'S- Vernon, Umbridge, flich, Fudge, Scrigimour, McGonagall, slughorn,

Hagrid- enfp/infp

fleur- enfp? enfj? she does love her attention.

Seamus Finnegan- isfp

Cedric Diggory- infj/enfj

Olivander- intp

:nice:
look's right.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant