• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hermione is either an ISTJ or an INTJ. She is really practical, but I do think she is a bit more on the curious side. .

And no, not because I am an ENTP. Can you give me reasons as to why they are not ENTPs? My type does not cloud my judgement.[/QUOTE]

And the folk typological debate rages on.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Hermione is either an ISTJ or an INTJ. She is really practical, but I do think she is a bit more on the curious side.

A Si-dom can't be curious?

I still maintain that an INTJ would never discount a set of potions instructions that are clearly more correct just because they weren't the "official instructions".

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, that is a good point actually.

INTJs are never insanely stuck on rules, though?

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Oh, that is a good point actually.

INTJs are never insanely stuck on rules, though?

They can be (usually their rules, heh). As always, people are individuals before they are types. But that wasn't even a rule. Hermione just didn't want to learn a method that was different than the "accepted" method.

And, as I'm sure has been mentioned in this thread before: N doesn't equal intelligence. Si and Te together are actually a very powerful knowledge base, provided they're used correctly. Consider what type of knowledge she has: sometimes, her answers are word for word from the textbook. She sucked at Divination because it wasn't a subject that could be learned from a book. I've heard speculation before that, were she in Ravenclaw, she wouldn't even be able to get into the common room, which I agree with. She'd spend hours searching for an answer to the "Chicken or egg?" variation in the library before attempting to answer it, and the actual solution would probably frustrate her. She's intelligent, but she isn't intuitive.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They can be (usually their rules, heh). As always, people are individuals before they are types. But that wasn't even a rule. Hermione just didn't want to learn a method that was different than the "accepted" method.

And, as I'm sure has been mentioned in this thread before: N doesn't equal intelligence. Si and Te together are actually a very powerful knowledge base, provided they're used correctly. Consider what type of knowledge she has: sometimes, her answers are word for word from the textbook. She sucked at Divination because it wasn't a subject that could be learned from a book. I've heard speculation before that, were she in Ravenclaw, she wouldn't even be able to get into the common room, which I agree with. She'd spend hours searching for an answer to the "Chicken or egg?" variation in the library before attempting to answer it, and the actual solution would probably frustrate her. She's intelligent, but she isn't intuitive.

I know intelligence doesn't equal intuitive. Even though I have read the books many, many, many times I forgot those details.

I suppose she is an ISTJ. Very traditional. Thank you for pointing this out :yes:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hermione a Sensor? She's usually the one connecting the dots... But at the other hand, she's really loyal to authority (eg. standard potions book). Authority has to fail bigly before she turns herself against it. And when she's against, she'll stay against...

SecantSquared

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Imo, Hermione isn't even all that smart. She's just a well organized, 'human' version of the internet. A vast storage of information. Just because she knows a lot of information doesn't make her smart.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Imo, Hermione isn't even all that smart. She's just a well organized, 'human' version of the internet. A vast storage of information. Just because she knows a lot of information doesn't make her smart.

It depends on how you define smart. :)

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She was intelligent, very much so. One has to be able to smart to understand the complex information you retain.

Hermione a Sensor? She's usually the one connecting the dots... But at the other hand, she's really loyal to authority (eg. standard potions book). Authority has to fail bigly before she turns herself against it. And when she's against, she'll stay against...

She does connect dots, but is that using intuition or is that just using her logic to connect the dots?

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
She connects the dots because she's the only student who actually appears to be doing any studying in the school. She has excellent memory and always fuzzes over straight facts and details. No doubt she's a Sensor.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
She does connect dots, but is that using intuition or is that just using her logic to connect the dots?
I've always thought that to succesfully connect dots you need both intuition and logic. Intuition makes the links - correct ones, wrong ones, crazy ones, useful ones... and logic filters out the ones that are, well, logical.
Now, while I see "being able to connect dots" as an intuitive trait, I do NOT want to say only Ns can do it... That would be as false as saying that Ts never rely on emotions or Fs can't use logic.

"Being able to connect dots" - I count a point towards N
"Uses experience first" - I count a point towards S
"Abstractly thinking" - I count a point towards N
Etc...

Yes, Hermione has a vast array of knowledge at her disposal. And she is always seeking to make it even bigger such that it covers more and more situations. Si use? Points towards SJ... (I guess we can all agree on Hermione being a J).

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always thought that to succesfully connect dots you need both intuition and logic. Intuition makes the links - correct ones, wrong ones, crazy ones, useful ones... and logic filters out the ones that are, well, logical.
Now, while I see "being able to connect dots" as an intuitive trait, I do NOT want to say only Ns can do it... That would be as false as saying that Ts never rely on emotions or Fs can't use logic.

Etc...

Yes, Hermione has a vast array of knowledge at her disposal. And she is always seeking to make it even bigger such that it covers more and more situations. Si use? Points towards SJ... (I guess we can all agree on Hermione being a J).

She is definitely IxTJ. No arguments there.

But maybe she is just a rather intuitive ISTJ?

You do need intuition and logic to connect dots, so I suppose her use of N is where that comes from. She seems to prefer using Si, however. I think I should look more at what her preferences are.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ

I count ability to connect dots a point towards Ti. Not sure where you get N from that.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Harry seems more like a Sensor to me. (ISFP)

Why would all fantasy heroes be INFPs? If ever my novel gets published I'm sure people would call my main an INFP too, just because she's the main character in a fantasy story and can do magic...

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Harry is totally ISFP. INFP is silly.

Ron seems ISFJ and Hermione is ISTJ.

Harry seems more like a Sensor to me. (ISFP)

Why would all fantasy heroes be INFPs? If ever my novel gets published I'm sure people would call my main an INFP too, just because she's the main character in a fantasy story and can do magic...

Fi is often the most celebrated value in fantasy, for obvious reasons. I think a ton of fantasy heroes are ISFP; they just all get typed as INFP because INFPs comprise such a big part of the fantasy genre's fanbase (and its authors.)

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Fi is often the most celebrated value in fantasy, for obvious reasons. I think a ton of fantasy heroes are ISFP; they just all get typed as INFP because INFPs comprise such a big part of the fantasy genre's fanbase (and its authors.)
I guess there is also another reason. In most of the fantasy worlds, hidden connections and symbolism are real and useful. So the population gets shifted towards N.
In most of the fantasy worlds, magic is made possible by emotion. Take Harry Potter... you need hate to kill, you need positive emotion for a patronus,... maybe the population would get shifted towards F too.

I'll make a separate thread for that, because as a fantasy lover (and hater) and wannabe fantasy author, I'm quite interested in this.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Harry is totally ISFP. INFP is silly.

Ron seems ISFJ and Hermione is ISTJ.

I agree. INFP is silly for Harry (and Hermione is ISTJ...dunno about ISFJ for Ron, though.) However, you're saying that fantasy heroes get types as INFP because the majority of fantasy fans are INFP? How does that work? Or are you saying that people here type Harry as INFP because they are INFPs and fans of fantasy?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree. INFP is silly for Harry (and Hermione is ISTJ...dunno about ISFJ for Ron, though.) However, you're saying that fantasy heroes get types as INFP because the majority of fantasy fans are INFP? How does that work? Or are you saying that people here type Harry as INFP because they are INFPs and fans of fantasy?

Well the former wouldn't really make any sense. The only people doing typing exercises of fictional characters are those who are into MBTI as well as fantasy, so I'm referring to threads regarding fantasy characters and how the heroes often get snap-typed as INFPs by fantasy fans on the forum (who are themselves frequently INFPs.)

How would you type Ron?

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I think that Harry gets typed as an INFP because people feel that he's a Fi user and they associate Fi more with the INFP than the ISFP archetype. Therefore, whenever they see someone who seems to be fueled by Fi, they automatically pin them down as an INFP and overlook the Se/Ne difference. Personally, I think that INFP and ISFP fantasy heroes can seem pretty similar, but ISFP heroes have usually some strong natural physical abilities and instincts (like Harry = Quidditch, Van from Vision of Escaflowne = driving mecha, swordsmanship...), whereas INFP heroes have some natural mental abilities and instincts (often it's associated with "instinctive" magic, healing etc).

In my opinion, Ron is whatever type Xander from Buffy is, and as I've read a good argument as too why Xander is an ENFP, I'd type Ron an ENFP as well. For one thing, he is definitely not a J.