• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

Niaurus

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
Harry: INFx
Ron: ISFJ
Hermione: INFJ
Weasley twins: ENTPs
Draco Malfoy: ENTP
Sirius Black: E/INTP
James Potter: ENTP
Lily Potter: INFJ
Snape: INTJ
Voldemort: INTJ, although he was very smooth as a kid, and made me think ENTP
Hagrid: ENFP
Albus Dumbledore: INFP

Draco Malfoy is so ENTP it hurts

Everyone is so ENTP to you maybe because you're an ENTP yourself?

In the newer movies Ron seems kinda introverted, but in the books...
And I think JKR must have many similarities with Harry (duh, because the book is called Harry Potter and the...).

Harry: ISFP
Ron: ESFP
Hermione: INFJ or ISFJ
Dumbledore: INFJ
Voldemort: INTJ

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
What do you think about Draco Malfoy, then?
If he's an ENTP, he's my first ENTP Villain example, so I want to know!

I've got difficulties typing him, but my husband (ESTJ himself) says he's an ESTJ - a very spoiled one to who the 'rule' is that he is the best. Does every type claim Draco to be theirs, or what?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Draco is definitely a Sensor.

Niaurus

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
And I think he's extroverted. He doesn't look extroverted in the 6th film, because of all the pressure, obviously. But still.

ESTP?

daate

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
How can anyone possibly argue that Hermione is anything but INFJ? She has a powerful, classic idealistic streak (the NF), partnered with pragmatism, structure and self-control. She can think abstractly, she intuits the underlying truth of situations on nearly every page (the N factor) and she has a strong understanding of emotions and how others' feelings work as well (look at how she described Cho's predicament in Book 5, her determination to free the house elves, etc.) By definition, N's are people who innovate, who imagine what situations could be rather than accept the way things are. Hermione consistently displays the tendency toward this. SJ's, by definition, are detail-oriented and work to enforce an established system rather than create a new one. Hermione is a great big-picture thinker, even when implementing certain plans interfere with her comfort and security. She is not simply fighting for the people she loves because she's grown up with them, she is fighting for what is the most just and kind course of action for as many lives as possible, always---the very definition of idealist. She never hesitates to argue down the people she loves if she feels they are acting in an unjust or unkind way, either.

I agree with ESFP for Ron for sure, and have thought long and hard about Harry, and don't think he's an ISFP at all. Introvert for sure, but probably N because of his desire to create a better situation for the wizarding world and his relentless hunger to penetrate the truth of what's going on, starting all the way from Book 1. He is not the most curious person when it comes to his personal history, but I still think he constantly wants to know what is authentically behind things. I think he is actually T because of how self-contained he is, and how clueless to Cho's emotions and sometimes to the emotions of others (which is not simply a guy trait, but a T trait---not saying he is not sympathetic, just not empathic.) He feels for others when he can understand their predicament, but he is deeply uncomfortable and insensitive to certain emotions, invalidates them, and picks Ginny for a partner partly because: "one of the lovely things about Ginny was that she didn't cry." He does not at all talk about his feelings openly and easily, and NT's generally tend to display an autonomy and independence of character that does not compete with the need to be liked. We see how often Harry is the subject of ruthless criticism, and with how strong and self-possessed he remains within that---he has a stubborn pride and belief in his own innocence often associated with NT's. And although he is often impulsive and he is neither schedule-oriented or organized, both P traits, he is always true to his word, true to the decisions he has made, very decisive and follows through for other people.

Definitely think Dumbledore is an INFJ, through and through. Structured enough to plot out this entire scheme, sensitive enough to choose the opposite path of Grindlewald's in the end despite the allure of power, idealistic enough to persistently see the good in people, extraordinarily insightful about peoples' motives, self-aware enough to understand his own flaws and yet to try to do what he thought was best for the entire wizarding world. Not perfect, but doing what he thought was best.

Voldemort is definitely an INTJ, the mastermind. Operates alone, calculates and plots endlessly, thinks in a systematic way that is laced with madness. Voldemort's impulsivity, I think, comes more from madness than from an innate personality trait. His instinct is to plan meticulously, but his fear sometimes causes him to be rash and overlook crucial points.

I think Sirius is totally ENFP---bold, outgoing, passionate, idealistic, brave, impulsive and tenacious, the classic ENFP description. Justifiably angry and reckless due to circumstance. I think this is why he complements Lupin, the sensitive, considerate introvert, so well.

The twins are definitely N, as they are so innovative with their shop's magic. Their entire lives are based around what could be, rather than what is. Don't know if it's fair to give them the same type, but I think Fred is an ENTP for sure.

As for Snape, definitely textbook INTJ. And Umbridge---ISTJ.

Ginny? I have to admit I actually can't stand Ginny, never got a full read on her character, I assume Jo was trying to make her seem feisty and no-nonsense and a suitable match for Harry. I vacillate between ENFJ and ESTJ for Ginny. She seems very unlikely to succumb to self-doubt or even self-inquiry, which are both NF traits, and yet she is fiery and passionate, definitely F traits. So who knows; don't know if anyone else felt Ginny is unlikable and underdeveloped. ESFJ, maybe? She is very pragmatic, a trait that Jo gives many of the strong women in the series---Hermione, Ginny, McGonnagall.

daate

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
oh and yeah, i would SOOOO say jo rowling is an INFJ. fo sho.

and i agree that draco is a sensor.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How can anyone possibly argue that Hermione is anything but INFJ? She has a powerful, classic idealistic streak (the NF), partnered with pragmatism, structure and self-control. She can think abstractly, she intuits the underlying truth of situations on nearly every page (the N factor) and she has a strong understanding of emotions and how others' feelings work as well (look at how she described Cho's predicament in Book 5, her determination to free the house elves, etc.) By definition, N's are people who innovate, who imagine what situations could be rather than accept the way things are. Hermione consistently displays the tendency toward this. SJ's, by definition, are detail-oriented and work to enforce an established system rather than create a new one. Hermione is a great big-picture thinker, even when implementing certain plans interfere with her comfort and security. She is not simply fighting for the people she loves because she's grown up with them, she is fighting for what is the most just and kind course of action for as many lives as possible, always---the very definition of idealist. She never hesitates to argue down the people she loves if she feels they are acting in an unjust or unkind way, either.

I agree with ESFP for Ron for sure, and have thought long and hard about Harry, and don't think he's an ISFP at all. Introvert for sure, but probably N because of his desire to create a better situation for the wizarding world and his relentless hunger to penetrate the truth of what's going on, starting all the way from Book 1. He is not the most curious person when it comes to his personal history, but I still think he constantly wants to know what is authentically behind things. I think he is actually T because of how self-contained he is, and how clueless to Cho's emotions and sometimes to the emotions of others (which is not simply a guy trait, but a T trait---not saying he is not sympathetic, just not empathic.) He feels for others when he can understand their predicament, but he is deeply uncomfortable and insensitive to certain emotions, invalidates them, and picks Ginny for a partner partly because: "one of the lovely things about Ginny was that she didn't cry." He does not at all talk about his feelings openly and easily, and NT's generally tend to display an autonomy and independence of character that does not compete with the need to be liked. We see how often Harry is the subject of ruthless criticism, and with how strong and self-possessed he remains within that---he has a stubborn pride and belief in his own innocence often associated with NT's. And although he is often impulsive and he is neither schedule-oriented or organized, both P traits, he is always true to his word, true to the decisions he has made, very decisive and follows through for other people.

Definitely think Dumbledore is an INFJ, through and through. Structured enough to plot out this entire scheme, sensitive enough to choose the opposite path of Grindlewald's in the end despite the allure of power, idealistic enough to persistently see the good in people, extraordinarily insightful about peoples' motives, self-aware enough to understand his own flaws and yet to try to do what he thought was best for the entire wizarding world. Not perfect, but doing what he thought was best.

Voldemort is definitely an INTJ, the mastermind. Operates alone, calculates and plots endlessly, thinks in a systematic way that is laced with madness. Voldemort's impulsivity, I think, comes more from madness than from an innate personality trait. His instinct is to plan meticulously, but his fear sometimes causes him to be rash and overlook crucial points.

I think Sirius is totally ENFP---bold, outgoing, passionate, idealistic, brave, impulsive and tenacious, the classic ENFP description. Justifiably angry and reckless due to circumstance. I think this is why he complements Lupin, the sensitive, considerate introvert, so well.

The twins are definitely N, as they are so innovative with their shop's magic. Their entire lives are based around what could be, rather than what is. Don't know if it's fair to give them the same type, but I think Fred is an ENTP for sure.

As for Snape, definitely textbook INTJ. And Umbridge---ISTJ.

Ginny? I have to admit I actually can't stand Ginny, never got a full read on her character, I assume Jo was trying to make her seem feisty and no-nonsense and a suitable match for Harry. I vacillate between ENFJ and ESTJ for Ginny. She seems very unlikely to succumb to self-doubt or even self-inquiry, which are both NF traits, and yet she is fiery and passionate, definitely F traits. So who knows; don't know if anyone else felt Ginny is unlikable and underdeveloped. ESFJ, maybe? She is very pragmatic, a trait that Jo gives many of the strong women in the series---Hermione, Ginny, McGonnagall.
Ah yes the overwhelming desire to state your view on things causes you to join the forums and create such a large, emotional first post.

No, Harry is not a T. He let's his feelings control him. Definitely an F. (Fi)

Hermione is most likely an ISFJ. Not an INFJ. It seems you have a certain bias towards the Ns. No, Hermione can see the big picture but she isn't a big picture person. She is a detail-orientated study-focused girl. She is certainly not an NF more than she is an SJ. Definitely more of an Si user.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
daate said:

No, I'm pretty sure Harry is an ISFP. The bolded parts are actually Fi, they don't have anything to do with N (or NT) in his case. He's not too abstract or intellectually curious at all, he's much more physically oriented (Quidditch, anyone?) and he has a very well developed value system = Fi+Se. We always keep hearing what a brave heart full of love he has - totally Fi. And I do think that what you describe as T traits are actually guy traits :) Fi users (let alone guys) are not that keen on talking about their feelings and emoting in general, they are usually not very comfortable with other people's displays of emotions (in short, Fe), and I believe Harry admires Ginny because she's brave and individualistic, not because she's unemotional.

Ah yes the overwhelming desire to state your view on things causes you to join the forums and create such a large, emotional first post.

This is not exactly polite of you, you know.

Ragingkatsuki said:
Hermione is most likely an ISFJ. Not an INFJ. It seems you have a certain bias towards the Ns. No, Hermione can see the big picture but she isn't a big picture person. She is a detail-orientated study-focused girl. She is certainly not an NF more than she is an SJ. Definitely more of an Si user.

Personally I can't decide between an ISTJ and INFJ for Hermione, but I definitely don't see her as an ISFJ. In the movies, she is pictured as one, but she is portrayed as much sharper, more sensible and no-nonsense in the books. That said, everyone probably has a little different interpretation of her, because she has really many different traits and some might stand out more than others for each reader. I, for once, always imagined her as an ENTP friend of mine who was very Hermione-ish when she was younger, so I see the "T" as pretty prominent and even contemplated an INTJ for her at first. But really, Rowling herself said that Hermione is based on herself when she was her age, and as I believe Rowling is an INFJ, I guess the INFJ is the safest guess (and I'm pretty sure that Hermione displays Ni fairly often). However, she definitely subscribed her a lot of ISTJ tendencies also (why not? a writer can base their character on multiple people / characters / whatever after all), so it isn't really possible to tell her type for sure. I'm pretty sure she shows T, F, SJ and N tendencies on various occassions.

evilrobot

MBTI Type
nite
Enneagram
5w4

Dumbledore is a matured INTP. This is clear if you’ve read all the books. He’s an NT temperament and an introverted (Enneagram) 5: private, secretive, often detached, very clever and only tells his “pieces”, including Harry, what he’s up to on a need-to-know basis. He’s not a J, either; compare him to J characters like Hermoine, Snape and McGonnegal, he’s nothing like that; for one thing, he doesn’t hesitate to bend rules to fit the cirumstances. He’s much more flexible.

Dumbledore vs. Voldemort is a classic NTP vs. NTJ matchup.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Congratulations on a successful folk typology discussion. I have read only several posts until I could no longer stop myself from rolling on the floor laughing. The following series of remarks caught my attention. "Hermione is an INFJ because she is idealistic, sensitive and structured. Voldemort is an INTJ because he is a master-mind and operates alone."

In short, somebody is this type because they have this or that personality trait. Very well, how about people who have contradictory personality traits? In Harry Potter we have seen them all in very few contexts, hence, we have not seen enough of their lives to find many contradictory qualities. Thus, we can successfully use the folk typology method to type them. However, this method breaks down when we deal with real people where we do see contradictory behaviors.

Besides, I don't even need to cite contradictions in human behavior to refute the folk typology method. I can just show that it entails absurd conclusions. I have two cats, one of them meows a great deal and seeks out attention a lot. It has the 'outgoing' personality trait, hence I should type my cat as an Extrovert. It seems to be altogether disorganized, or shifty focus and always in tune with the present moment. Its also very aggressive and not afraid to show displeasure (T)! Hey, its an ESTP! The other account seems to be more withdrawn, also chaotic (P), less in tune with the present moment, hence not as easily responsive to stimuli, yet very gentle and non-aggressive (F). I have an INFP cat! Two cats, an ESTP and an INFP!

No, really, what non-sense are we talking here? If this is what your typology teaches you, it is obviously worthless. After all, what good is this mere classification system that allows me to type pets and humans alike!

It seems to me that it would be far more plausible to define a type as a tendency towards a certain way of thinking or acting even rather than action in itself. So, a Sensor is not somebody who is simple and practical, but someone who has a tendency to rely on the five senses rather than imagination. That way, the problem of contradictory behaviors does not undermine typology as in that case we simply have a human who is not being true to his tendencies at the moment, rather than a piece of evidence attesting to the worthlessness of the entire enterprise.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I give credit to SolitaryWalker for stating the faulty ways in which people type other people. It is done so often in this thread as well on the forums. I have fell victim to folk typology many times before and probably still do it.

This is not exactly polite of you, you know.
I don't necessarily see anything wrong with what I said.

Personally I can't decide between an ISTJ and INFJ for Hermione, but I definitely don't see her as an ISFJ. In the movies, she is pictured as one, but she is portrayed as much sharper, more sensible and no-nonsense in the books. That said, everyone probably has a little different interpretation of her, because she has really many different traits and some might stand out more than others for each reader. I, for once, always imagined her as an ENTP friend of mine who was very Hermione-ish when she was younger, so I see the "T" as pretty prominent and even contemplated an INTJ for her at first. But really, Rowling herself said that Hermione is based on herself when she was her age, and as I believe Rowling is an INFJ, I guess the INFJ is the safest guess (and I'm pretty sure that Hermione displays Ni fairly often). However, she definitely subscribed her a lot of ISTJ tendencies also (why not? a writer can base their character on multiple people / characters / whatever after all), so it isn't really possible to tell her type for sure. I'm pretty sure she shows T, F, SJ and N tendencies on various occassions.
Don't put the 'hermione was based on her when she was her age therefore she must be the same type' stuff. It's an invalid argument. Much too many loopholes to even consider. No hermione doesn't use Ni. You were probably confusing it for Si which she uses much more often. Hermione is more likely an ISTJ if not an ISFJ.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I give credit to SolitaryWalker for stating the faulty ways in which people type other people. It is done so often in this thread as well on the forums. I have fell victim to folk typology many times before and probably still do it.

Me too, but sometimes I can't avoid it when typing fictional characters if I haven't pinpointed them to an archetype. I hope I'm not using this on real people too much, though. Or animals:cheese: (Although one my cats is an ESTP, you know - he shows clear inclinations to Ti - he always wants to find out how things work - and loads of tertiary Fe!;))

Ragingkatsuki said:
Don't put the 'hermione was based on her when she was her age therefore she must be the same type' stuff. It's an invalid argument. Much too many loopholes to even consider. No hermione doesn't use Ni. You were probably confusing it for Si which she uses much more often. Hermione is more likely an ISTJ if not an ISFJ.

No, this is not what I wanted to imply, actually. I'm not that interested in typing HP characters in the first place, because I think they're often inconsistent (and I refuse to believe Dumbledore is an INFJ only because he is so nice, etc). I have worded it wrongly when I said "INFJ is the safest guess" - if I should choose one type for Hermione it would be an ISTJ, actually, because she clearly shows Si and Te most often. HOWEVER, I think one cannot deny she sometimes shows Fe qualities (and Ni qualities as well, imo - she's always the one who explains other people's motivations to the boys, and that's something Si types are not very good at) and that's because Rowling might have occassionally based her on herself. My point is, I don't think Hermione can be typed with 100% accuracy, because she's a compilation of traits of more types. But in my opinion, the prevalent type is indeed an ISTJ.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Dumbledore is a matured INTP.
Same as I thought - and a fan of chaos theory. If I tweak a little here and push a little there, probably it would give a great effect later on.
Still, he's got a quite strict planning for what would happen after his death...

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Solitary walker what other classification system do you propose in order to replace this "Folk typology method" which seeks out personality traits and behavioral tendencies rather then actual cognitive perception of these characters?.

After all it would be prudent for you to suggest a different one, when you have debunked another.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Maybe it's a wrong use of typology. But. I use it to describe behaviour.
If it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck.
Then again, I refrain from typing anyone but myself (where I do know the inner workings - more or less) and fictional characters.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Solitary walker what other classification system do you propose in order to replace this "Folk typology method" which seeks out personality traits and behavioral tendencies rather then actual cognitive perception of these characters?.

After all it would be prudent for you to suggest a different one, when you have debunked another.

This is a tricky question.

The only way we could construct a plausible alternative system is by defining a type as a solidified unconscious tendency rather than a mere behavior. Hence, Intuition is not the behavior of being creative, but the tendency towards abstract thought.

In order for us to conclude that a certain person is an intuitive type, its not enough to see that he is an abstract thinker, but we'd need to ensure that thinking in the abstract is natural to him. In other words, we would have to ensure that the person in questioning is behaving in a way that is natural to him or her. In other words, we have to find a scenario where the person in question is not forced to behave in a certain way by circumstances and is being true to his natural tendencies. When we see that when a person has a clear-cut choice between focusing on the senses and thinking in the abstract, and he consistently chooses the latter over the former, we may conclude that he has a natural tendency towards abstract thought.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dumbledore is an INFJ. I just can't seem him being anything else.

Harry Potter is an INFP. Definitely N. Definitely NF. Definitely INF.

Hermione is either an ISTJ or an INTJ. She is really practical, but I do think she is a bit more on the curious side.

Any debates/reasonings, come to me.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

In the newer movies Ron seems kinda introverted, but in the books...
And I think JKR must have many similarities with Harry (duh, because the book is called Harry Potter and the...).

Harry: ISFP
Ron: ESFP
Hermione: INFJ or ISFJ
Dumbledore: INFJ
Voldemort: INTJ

And no, not because I am an ENTP. Can you give me reasons as to why they are not ENTPs? My type does not cloud my judgement.